Exterior

Good

A lack of care and attention to detail - otherwise okay

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"Was ideally situated for me - right opposite the train station. Room was clean and had all the facilities you'd expect. Hotel reasonably well kept. They have a small gym which was useful for a workout and a fairly spacious relaxing room with Jacuzzi, Steam room, Sauna and seating area. I think what disappointed me was a general lack of care and management of the hotel which led to a lot of little things not happening. nothing major but that take away from a feeling of being looked after. When I arrived I wasn't told about the gym etc which is all free and included in the B& B. I ordered a morning paper but it never arrived. When I went for breakfast I had to remind the waitress to serve me coffee There was no milk or butter on my table. When I went to use they gym they had no towels and had to get one from my room. The staff were all pleasant though, but these little things make you feel that you are not really looked after."

• Travel date: 21st May 2008

Clean, comfortable and very convenient for the railway station

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"This hotel is across the road from Swansea railway station making it very useful for traveling in and out of the city. The room itself seemed very modern, possibly the result of a recent refurbishment. There was plenty of space and the bathroom was also practically spotless. The bed was very comfortable and clean The television needed a retune, with some channels remaining fuzzy and I think the remote had seen better days, but this is a small gripe. Breakfast offered the continental choice (basically options of juices, some cereal and toast) or a menu order option that is included in the room price (I presume as standard). I went for the veggie breakfast which was both nice and plentiful. PROs: *Location is literally only 20 seconds walk from the railway station entrance. This obviously means you don't need to leave much time for getting to a train. *Room was very clean *Only about 10 minutes walk to most of the attractions like cinema, theatre and bowling alley. CONs: *Television tuning was a bit off and the remote seemed to need really firm button pushing to work. As a comparison I've stayed in other hotels for the same price in the UK that have proper plasma screens etc, but I wouldn't rule out a hotel simply because of a remote control. *The only other negative thing I could think of is that the hotel is situated at the top of a street that did have a few undesirables hanging around. Although none were near the hotel, if you were walking to the theatre or cinema, I guess there is the potential for having to pass some. I didn't find it any problem at all, but the fact that I was aware of them makes me mention it. However a simple taxi could sort that out."

• Travel date: 13th May 2008

Superb in every way!!!!

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"The quality of this hotel fails to disappoint, our second stay at the hotel was superb. We decided to treat ourselves to an Executive room, with Super King sized bed, and Jacuzzi bath, room service & a bottle of champagne was all we needed to have a a wonderfull time, enough said - highly recommended!!!"

• Travel date: 5th March 2008

Disaster and Dirty.

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"This is my complaint letter to the hotel regarding our spa day, I also have contacted Environmental health: I am writing to complain about the spa day that myself and eight other of my friends paid for on the 02/02/2008 at the Grand Hotel, Swansea, which was a day for us all to celebrate a 30th birthday. The whole experience from start to finish was the most unpleasant, unacceptable standard of service provided by this hotel. Firstly I would like to comment on the presentation of the reception staff’s dress code, I was very disappointed to see that a four star hotel is unable to provide their staff with a simple uniform, and the lack of this detail has a major impact on ones image of the hotel as an unorganised, unprofessional business. I also feel that this reflects on the staff’s attitude on arrival. We were not informed upon arrival of the sequence of our day, we were not informed until staff were asked where we would all be served our lunch, we had to prompt staff that we were expected to pre order our meals, and also asked to return our orders to reception during our day of relaxation. Our day turned out to be one of utter disgust and sheer disappointment. • We were not formally shown to the spa area by a member of staff, and on more than one occasion had to return to the reception staff for towels and entry cards to the Dunes beauty spa as we had not been given them on arrival. I have visited many spas where it is has been customary for staff to give the guests a tour and introduction to the facilities available. • The spa facilities were so unnerving that we felt the Spa should have not been open to any persons because of major Health & Safety and Health & Hygiene issues. • The female changing rooms were dirty, the showers were not clean, the floor tiles and grouting were filthy and are disgusting to step on without protection of footwear. • The gym equipment was unsafe. My sister used the bike in the gym and the foot pedal fell off, which we immediately reported to the beauty therapist, but this was not attended to or fixed during our stay, which made it impossible to use again. • The air conditioning we felt is of inadequate standard for a non ventilated room. • The Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room area was rancid, the air was damp and the smell of stagnant water immediately hit us as soon as we entered the room. The floor had a residue of scum on it, that when we walked along it we were in fear of slipping and falling. • The stagnant smell and dampness in the room was just so unpleasant. • There was inadequate water in the dispenser (which had flies all around it) provided in the Jacuzzi room, which is a health issue as dehydration can occur the after use of Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. • The Jacuzzi hand rails had been damaged and were hanging off, there were also broken tiles, which strongly becomes a health & safety issue, as well as health & hygiene as well as the presentation looked appalling. We all struggled with our balance of stepping in and out of the Jacuzzi in fear of falling, through not being able to use the aid of the hand rail provided. • The water in the Jacuzzi was stagnant and because of this has resulted in six of us feeling unwell later that evening, and even 24 hrs later (03/02/2008) With upset stomach and vomiting which we are recording with our GP’s as this may result in people having to take sickness from work, due to the unhygienic conditions we were all subjected to on the 02/02/2008. • There are no signs or safety guidelines for guests on how much time should be spent using Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. The gym equipment does not have instructions to advise guests how to use apparatus correctly and safely. • The spa is totally unequipped for large parties and it certainly has not been structured around accommodating groups of more than two or three people, as there is no relaxation area for guests to sit quietly, we also feel that there was a lack of staff provided in the spa area to cater or enquire for our needs, and this also highlighted the concern that if a guest had had an accident whilst there, there was no way to communicate with staff as we did not see anyone on the floor, or there was no phone or any form of contact with reception. • The treatment room is no larger than a postage stamp, which again highlights another Health and safety issue for the therapist as she has to lean across the client when performing any massage, because the bed is tight against the wall, and also due to this inconvenience of space, does not enable the client to receive their full treatment. • Lunch was enjoyable, the food was of good quality, but one waitress serving at a reasonably busy lunch (15-17 people) time was poor, and this did not provide an efficient and flowing service. Our overall view on our experience was a disaster. We all feel upset and let down that a special occasion has turned out to be a memorable disaster, we will never attend again we will certainly never recommend this hotel to any business colleagues, friends or family. We are far more angry and upset by the fact that management who have been fully aware that the spa conditions have been unfit for the general public, but have continued to allow staff to books guests in to these conditions which are a health hazard and most unfit for the general public. I truly believe that we should be fully reimbursed for the full cost of our day because of the inconvenience and appalling conditions we were subjected to. Please could you confirm that you have received this letter, and I await to hear your response."

• Travel date: 5th February 2008

Lovely building - shame about the hotel

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Stayed here twice - October 07 and again in December. Loads and loads of petty problems - not what you expect from what purports to be a 4-star hotel. Spoke with manager first night, who expressed concern. But that was all. Later had a snack meal which took ages (even though the place was empty), then came wrongly specified. Wrote in after first stay with list of issues, requested 50% goodwill deduction - all I got was meal cost knocked off. Gave them benefit of doubt, stayed again in Dec, and no better. When booking direct with hotel, I was told there was a voucher for my stay, so I thought they had given me a discount! Then they phoned back and said, sorry, mistake, no voucher! In December 3 light bulbs in room not working; missing cover over electrics on air con, TV remote almost inoperative, meal AGAIN long delay and wrongly created (requested no onions, but they came each time!), one-month-old 'breakfast order' door-swinger in room, the list could go on.... As indicated, all complaints individually petty items, but basically no one at hotel cares. NOT a 4-star experience, but a lovely building and well renovated. Back in Swansea tomorrow but not not staying there again."

• Travel date: 5th February 2008

not so grand

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"frosty welcome from reception staff, chewing gum stuck on bedroom carpet & mold around bathroom walls. Breakfast was ok."

• Travel date: 22nd January 2008

The hotel itself is in a good location r...

Reviewed 8th November 2007

"The hotel itself is in a good location right opposite the railway station and the room was quite nice. However I was staying by myself on a business trip and in the night someone tried swiping my door trying to get in and this happened three times. I felt insecure and very frightened. I did eat in the restaurant in the evening and the food was lovely. The breakfast was nice too. However, next time I’m in Swansea I would certainly not stay in this hotel again. It was also very noisy in the night."

• Travel date: 8th November 2007

Wonderful

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"I had read the review that the hotel had posted about itself on the internet and thought that it sounded like the sort of place my sister and I would like to stay in. They said that it had recently been revamped which was the selling word for me. Both my sister and I are well travelled and now being in our 60's we want our comforts, the hotel provided this. We had a double room each which was a good size and very clean. Heating or air conditioning was provided for us to put on ourselves. Tea and coffee making equipment and biscuits. New hair dryer and wonderful hair/body wash and a hand/body moisturiser. My sister had a double bed in her room, I had 2 singles all beds were comfortable, the rooms are pleasantly decorated. Plenty of soft white towels and the bathrooms were a good size. Breakfast was included in the price. A good choice of food but rolls stale and cheap bead for cold soggy toast spoilt it. My sister had the full breakfast which was just passable but very poor for the cost on the menu. I had 2 poached eggs that came just warm with wet soggy toast, both meals on very cold plates. We told reception when we were asked that we were disapointed in the breakfast and were told that she would make sure that it would be better for our second day, it wasn't. Our evening meals,extra, were out of this world. Words cannot say how very good they were. I haven't had such wonderful food at 3 times the cost for a very long time. The plates fed our eyes and our bodies. A good taste with every mouthfull. Plates cold again which was a shame as hot plates do keep the food warm for longer. Great menu choice and all we had we enjoyed. Maybe a few more vegetables or is that me being English? Well worth a visit."

• Travel date: 20th October 2007

Brilliant Hotel!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My husband and i stayed at this hotel as a treat for our tenth anniversary.We booked the penthouse suite and were not dissapointed.The room was lovely and clean and spacious.The hot tub on the balcony was fabulous.The breakfast was amazing and all staff were very helpful at all times.Would definitely return to this hotel and would reccomend to anybody wanting an enjoyable stay in Swansea."

• Travel date: 2nd October 2007

Avoid this hotel!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Food terrible - bog standard luke warm. Bathrooms full of mould. Staff not willing to put themselves out in the slightest, infact I would say they were rude and obnoxious not a pleasant stay at all. Not in a nice location, lots of drunks and odd people hanging around."

• Travel date: 26th September 2007

Awful place - awful customer service

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"I stayed here for one night as part of a business trip. Our arrival introduced us to down and outs sat outside and drunks in the adjoining bar. The room was dirty, the bathroom was filthy. Calling reception and asking for the toothpaste which the room literature said was complimentary was met with a reply that, "There isn't any. Why can't you go and get it?" There was no BBC 1 on the room TV. A call to reception was met with a very helpful, “Hasn’t been for ages.” In the morning I went to the gym, but it was closed. I was then handed a bunch of keys and told that I could go and open up myself. Pitch black corridors and hunting for door keys is not my idea of a 'quality' hotel. Breakfast was at a dirty table with very poor quality food. Upon leaving I wrote to the hotel. I received no reply. I then e mailed the hotel and attached a copy of my letter. Again I received no reply. I would NEVER recommend anyone ever using this place. Should the hotel management read this review then please do not hesitate to contact me. You can use either this forum, my address (which you already have) or my email (which you already have)."

• Travel date: 31st August 2007

The Grand Hotel Swansea is in an excelle...

Reviewed 5th February 2006

"The Grand Hotel Swansea is in an excellent position if needing to visit the area being directly opposite the train station. They offer several grades of accommodation. This being an anniversary trip for ourselves we opted for the penthouse suite which advertises spacious modern accommodation with the added feature of an outdoor hot tub. Just the ticket for recreating the atmosphere of our Canadian wedding - or so we thought. On arrival we were directed to a wonderful spacious suite, but this is where our problems began. One hour after our arrival the room was very cold, being November we contacted the reception, we were informed to stand by the heaters, the out door hot tub was at freezing temperature. Unfortunately three hours later we were in the same position. No member of staff was able to adjust the warmth of the out door hot tub and we were advised to either visit the restaurant or wear our coats. Slightly annoying given that this particular grade of room has cost £250.00 per night ( A hefty price for Swansea). The bar and dining facilities were of a good standard, the breakfast choice, service and quality of food were excellent however we were not compensated in any way for the cold room and loss of the use of the hot tub which was the sole reason for having chosen this hotel. A complaint was made on our departure alongside a request for management to contact us with regards to a discount for having entirely ruined our first wedding anniversary. Despite several follow up calls no satisfaction has been received. Overall this is an adequate hotel for the traveller arriving in Swansea looking for the minimal standard of accommodation but certainly not for anyone expecting the advertised relaxation and luxury in booking one of their premier rooms."

• Travel date: 5th February 2006