Accessible Room

Good

Room clean and comfortable. Excellent di...

Reviewed 1st February 2008

"Room clean and comfortable. Excellent disabled facilities. Very satisfied with our stay, especially as it only cost £19 per room on a special offer."

• Travel date: 1st February 2008

Depressing but cheap

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"We booked this hotel in the middle of August as a stopover the night before our ferry from nearby Fishguard to Ireland. We got the website's saver rate of £26 which, despite the hotel's problems, definitely made it good value for money. However, if we had paid the fully flexible rate of £65 (which is what we originally booked before I checked back with the site and discovered they'd released the saver rate and changed my booking) I would have been furious. RECEPTION I called ahead to the hotel to explain we had been held up and wouldn't arrive until 10:30pm. They said that was fine - reception was open 24 hours. When I arrived, with a very unhappy 2 year old who had just woken up from the 3 1/2 hour drive, I was told we would have to wait 15 minutes to check in as she had taken the computer off-line to cash up. This is not exactly what you want to hear at that time of night with a screaming toddler. We had to sit in some chairs around a dirty table with a TV blaring in the corner and rubbish on a nearby table from someone else's vending machine meal. Very depressing and hard to keep my daughter calm. Eventually, they told me we could check in. The check in desk was also covered in dirty plates and empty meal packets - it was really quite gruesome. At least check in was very quick. THE ROOM We had booked a family room for the three of us. However, on getting to the room, I discovered that the sofa bed had not been made up. I assumed this would have been done when they are aware in advance there are going to be three people so was not very pleased. As a result, it was 11pm, we were exhausted with an early start ahead of us, and had to make-up a sofa bed without disturbing my daughter anymore than she already was. The room and bathroom seemed clean enough but there were no glasses for water, just plastic cups. There also weren't enough towels for all three of us. We swiftly headed towards bed only to have a very uncomfortable night ahead of us. The main double bed, which I lay in initially, was quite uncomfortable itself. However, shortly afterwards I found myself on the sofa bed as my daughter insisted on cuddling daddy to get to sleep and we couldn't all fit in the bed. The sofa bed was simply agony. I had my worst night's sleep ever. I gave up even trying at 5am which meant our full day travelling the next day was even harder than it should have been. I can't complain too much as we did only pay £26 but given that they charge up to £65 for these rooms, it really was a fairly awful place to stay. I would have used a Travel Inn as I find the quality of these to be universal but unfortunately they do not extend that far into Wales. Use this hotel as a stop-over if you can get a decent rate but you will be quite disappointed if you pay the full rate and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a lengthy stay."

• Travel date: 27th August 2006

Excellent value

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"We booked this hotel back in January at GBP 26,- a night which at that time we thought was great value as even 10 years ago and ever since we have been paying double that for rooms at similar type of hotels accross the UK. We chose this hotel as a centrally located base for a 5 day break, with the intention to take one or two trips to Skomer Island and the other 3 days to just drive around and enjoy the countryside. As we wanted somewhere with a supermarket in the area to get our goodies for during the day Pembroke Dock was a good choice (it actually has several, including Tesco and Asda, both within walking distance of the hotel). The room was basic but clean, and contained everything we needed including a small kettle, teabags, coffee etcetera, and 2 mugs and spoons. The bathroom was complete, and hairdryers can be borrowed from reception for the duration of your stay. Extra pillows will be brought to your room upon request too (the two that are provided are extremely thin). The weather in Wales during our stay was incredible: scorching hot (25+ degrees) and sunny (which was perfect for our trips to Skomer!). This had its effect on the room, that was getting quite warm later in the day. Luckily we had a room on the ground floor, but I can imagine the rooms on the first floor must get even warmer as the hotel has a flat roof. Leaving the windows open during the night was not really an option as the area appears not to be very safe (we were approached by some kids who had the intention of snatching our wallets, but we recognised the trick and did not give them the opportunity). Also note that when the windows are open you can hear the ventilation system come on and off all the time, so very noisy during the night (you won't hear this when the windows are closed). The hotel staff are young and helpful, no faults there. It must be mentioned though that the hotel only opened in December 2005, and so it is relatively new. It is easy to see that within a few years it will without a doubt start to look a bit shabby, as is the case with most of these Travelodge and similar type chain hotels that are scattered throughout the UK. But that shouldn't be a problem as long as the hotel and rooms are kept clean and the staff remains helpful. We are planning a longer break in the area in a few years time, and will more than probably stay at this hotel again if it remains in the same price range."

• Travel date: 20th June 2006

cheap and no frills, in fact no anything!

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"No atmosphere however we wanted proximity to Tenby and this was all we could book for sat night of long weekend. OK room, no frills, poor setup. My gripe is we paid for 3 in the room and it should have been set up. We shouldn't have had to struggle with the bed late at night and go a long way back down to reception to find linens, pillow etc for the 3rd person (great idea to have no phone in rooms so no way to contact reception!) No tea, coffee and no tumblers so be prepared to drink out of the tap. The best you could say is that it was clean and cheap and you get what you pay for."

• Travel date: 7th June 2006

Fantastic Value For Money.

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"We recently stayed at this Travelodge on our way back fom holidaying in Ireland. It is within a stones throw of the ferryport. We paid £26.00 for a family of four. It was unbelievable value for money. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was exceptionally clean. Staff were polite and efficient. Would highly recommend."

• Travel date: 21st April 2006