Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel

Bodelwyddan, Denbingshire, North Wales, Bodelwyddan, Rhyl LL18 5YA Wales

Good

Perfection - couldn’t have wished for more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

"We spent a week at the above named fabulous Warner’s hotel. Bodelwyddan (pronounced bod-el-with-an), is a Grade II listed Victorian building near the North Wales coast, not far from Snowdonia. Set within the grounds of a romantic castle, but with all the amenities of a modern Hotel, including a superb range of leisure facilities, numerous daily activities, and nightly live entertainment. The hotel recently underwent a £6 million renovation and awarded a 4* AA award.

The hotel has 4 types of accommodation/rooms to choose from and we were fortunate enough to stay in a Royale room, which was beautifully furnished, incredibly comfortable (especially the bed!), spacious and luxurious. The Royale rooms within the hotel are very quirky which adds to their charm and appeal as they have a lot of the original features and are sympathetically incorporate into the decoration and furnishing of the room. If you are staying in Royale room you also have your own allocated car park which are very close to the The Royale Rooms, which was a much appreciated bonus.

The food and some of the entertainment was exceptional, especially J’Adele (Adele tribute), Jamie Clarke (Vocalist), Jamie Sutherland (comedian), Fourmost (band) and Steph and Cory (vocal duo).

A couple of the acts we disappointing, Re -take that and Tom Jones Tribute we’re sadly disappointing, but they did experience some technical difficulties so that may have impacted upon their performance.

The staff at Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel are so attentive, caring and their customer service level is perfection and faultless. We felt they couldn’t do enough to make our stay so memorable and special.

We had booked out stay at the hotel very last minute. We had a 2 week holiday to Mexico booked on 04 November 2018 for 2 weeks to celebrate our 25th Wedding anniversary and my birthday. Mexico had been our dream holiday and we had spent many years planning our holiday and we had arranged several activities and treats whilst in Mexico to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Sadly on the Wednesday before we were due to fly to Mexico (01 November 2018) my doctor informed me I was not to flight to fly due to some very serious health concerns. Obviously we were heartbroken, over the holiday and the health concerns.

My Doctor advised me that he had no objections to me having a holiday within the UK, so on the Thursday 01 November I contacted Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel to booked a 7 night stay at the Hotel to commence on Friday 02 November 2018. I must say a very special thank you to Jackie and Willow for their wonderful assistance with booking our stay. I was very emotional whilst booking the holiday and explained the reason why and they couldn’t have been more sympathetic or understanding and I really appreciated their compassion and kindness.

Due our world crashing down around our ears and things that needed to be sorted due to my health concerns we sadly missed checking in on the Friday so let the hotel know we expected to arrive round 1pm on the Saturday instead. However our run of disasters was still continuing and sadly a 7 hour traffic delay interfered with that idea so we didn’t arrive at the hotel until after 8pm on Saturday 03 November 2018.

During our journey we kept in touch with the hotel regarding the delay to our expected arrival time. The hotel staff were incredibly considerate and thoughtful and saved us a meal and dessert so we had something to eat when we arrived (which we were incredibly grateful for as we hadn’t eaten since since leaving home that morning)

When we got to our room we were so surprised to find that the hotel had decorated our room and us left several gifts and a beautiful card congratulating us on our wedding anniversary. We really hadn’t expected this and their thoughtfulness, generously and kindness meant the world to us and we were so incredibly grateful to them all for making our room and stay so special. Thank you Abbey for arranging this and for sort out a VIP table for us for our anniversary night, that was very much appreciated indeed and we were very grateful.

Although we were treated so incredibly well by all the staff at the hotel. We need to mention a very special thank you to Dawn who was our waitress for the week - she is a real treasure and made our stay even more enjoyable and to Donna who very kindly assisted me with my dietary needs. Both of them made me feel so much at ease and nothing was every too much trouble. Donna and Dawn are a true credit to the hotel.

In all honesty from what I observed all the staff are truly fabulous and equally attentive to all their guests to ensure they receive the highest standard of customer care that could possibly deliver.

As a location the hotel is perfectly situated for exploring North Wales and there are so much things we wanted to see and do but sadly ran out of time and sadly many of the places and attractions we wanted to visit were closed due the time of year.

Pat and I created so many incredibly special memories during our stay at Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel and they helped us celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary perfectly and we will this treasure forever. We will definitely be booking a return stay at this hotel because of all the above.

Thank you so much to everybody Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel. 💗"

• Travel date: Mon 1st of October 2018

over 65's only!!!!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"i booked a two night break at the castle for my husbands 40th birthday as a surprise. booked it because the rooms/location looked amazing and warner breaks advertise for adults only! no children allowed, perfect for us.
only when we got there did i realise what a mistake i had made. the room (no 615, a royale and the most expensive) was amazing and the only good bit about the holiday. i noticed that everyone seemed older than us, by a good 20 + years!
the restaurant was like a cross between a cheap carvery and an old peoples home. food was mediocre to say the least. hot soup in cold bowls, inedible school mash, cheese board with 2 tiny slivers of cheese and 4 crackers.............remember these breaks are not cheap.
entertainment was even worse. bad cabaret acts, even worse in house entertainment team - think school play - it was about that standard. it was also geared for people 65 and above. believe me i did not want to spend my husbands 40th birthday doing the foxtrot, samba or american freeze or what ever they are called! there was one singer who did a late night slot in a small bar, i think his name was steve - he was good, especially after all the other poor entertainment.
i honestly would not recommend this hotel or any warner break for anyone under the age of 65! i paid over £500 for 2 nights and most of the time we stayed in our room. which as i said was brilliant, however, i was mortified i had brought my husband here for his birthday. we ate out on the second night as we couldnt face another meal in the restaurant, jammed in between people on a tiny table, with poor food and pretty slow service.
in summary - great room, awesome location - but dont even consider it unless you are in to old time dancing, like poor food and dont mind being the youngest people there!."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of September 2006

Mother & daughter enjoyed it

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"I booked a 2 night mini break as my mum needed a break after a pretty miserable year. I booked it in June over the phone after checking prices on the internet. We paid less than the brochure price for sharing a twin - yet booked 2 separate king rooms as we wanted some individual time! Therefore we thought the break was excellent value as it included breakfast and dinner, activities and entertainment (Ricky Tomlinson on one night). It is in a beautiful location with plenty of places to go in the local area and the staff were never anything less than very helpful.

This hotel was perfect for what I wanted - somewhere unpretentious but comfortable and with plenty to do. I don't mind driving to things and the lack of children was wonderful! I'm in my 30s and was the youngest person there BUT this break wasn't about me - and my mum felt very comfortable with the other people staying there. There were a couple of coachloads of OAPs but the majority of the other residents were couples between 45 and 70.

The rooms were 3+ stars I would say - they were spacious and housekeeping was thorough. There were a couple of signs of wear in the bathroom though. The rooms had a lovely view over the countryside around the castle.

Breakfast was a hot and cold buffet. Dinner had 4 or 5 options for each of the 3 courses. There were 2 different carvery choices each night. The food was more than satisfactory for a 3* hotel but I don't think I would have wanted a whole week of it as my own tastes are a little more cosmopolitan!

Overall, I wouldn't go there with people my age but it was ideal for my mum - we will definitely be booking again."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of August 2006

Never ever

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We just come home from our trip to Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel.
The castle is lovely, especially the gardens and woodlands surrounding are beautiful, really worth a visit.

On 2 of our 5 nights stay we didn´t have warm water from the shower, the food was terrible, the staff outside of restaurant is neither friendly nor helpful or even a bit friendly.

When you stay in this hotel be aware that you will be surrounded by 90% seniors of 70 years and older...

And by the way, come back to the hotel before 4 o´clock, afterwards you won´t find a parkingplace in the nearer distance."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of July 2006

Never again!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"First holiday ever with Warners - and the last based on our break at Bodelwyddan.
Food was terrible - mostly cold or luke warm, breakfasts floating in grease, even frozen mousse served at one meal (which was blamed on YTS).
Only one bar open most of the time - even when World Cup games were on TV - the Gallery Bar was closed!
Fine if you like Bingo, which we do not - other than that not much choice! "Cabaret" started at 9.45 p.m. which wasn't bad, but not toprofessional standard.
Our room was excellent, as we had upgraded to a Royale Room, certainly no complaints there!
However, outside the room on the grass there were lots of cigarette butts, paper, sandwich containers, etc. We collected all this up as we preferred to sit outside in a clean area.
Definately not the place to be without a car. Too far from anywhere.
However, to finish on a good point - the views and scenery were terrific, and the staff at the Leisure Centre were friendly and helpful."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of July 2006

Lovely room and castle but with poor school dinners

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"We booked for 2 nights at the castle. We were not interested in the "Roaring Twenties" theme so can't comment on the entertainment. (When we mentioned this, we were given looks to suggest we had visited from Mars) Our views are as follows:
Good points: a) Location - beautiful views, walks and gardens. b) Leisure facilities - excellent with friendly staff. c) Castle Snack Bar: lovely home made soup and cake. d) Room - we upgraded to a Royale (Room 615) - two wide screen TV's, 4 poster bed and a spa bath.
Bad Points: a) Reception. The cash point would not give us all the money we requested. For 15 minutes Receptionists said "it is not our problem". They did not have a contact number to contact "Link" who run the machines. Eventually we were given the money that we were short-changed, and they decided to switch the machine off. ALSO make sure you get a charge card!!! we were not given one and had to pay £14.99 cash for a bottle of wine at dinner. The fact that reception had not given us the card was "Reception's problem... not mine....I'm a wine waiter" b) Food. (i)The safest bets are the salad bar and the carvery (a;though the latter is overcooked and tasteless). We watched the waiter throw croutons into a soup bowl and pour soup from a plastic container into the bowl on top of them. We are convinced the soup was from a packet and the croutons, when located, had evacuated to the edge of the bowl. (ii) When I refer to "wine waiter" above, the correct term is really "Wine Deliverer", as he brought us an already-opened bottle of white wine put it on the table and was off like a shot!! (iii) I was naive enough to order "Duck pancake roolls with Hoisin sauce and spring onion salad". It was the first night and I expected a variation of the crispy duck you get in Chinese restaurants...WRONG!! - Spring onion salad was a piece of lettuce, whilst the 3 spring rolls were each smaller than my little finger and barely penetrable... (iv) I originate from Derbyshire, so I am not going to demeane myself to mention the Gooseberry Bakewell Tart. (v) The white linen table cloths are covered by red papery sheets, which the waiting staff clean with a J cloth before the next meal.
In conclusion, the hotel has so much going for it that it COULD be oustanding, but has so many shortcomings that it is below average. We will write to Warners and ask for their opinions."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of June 2006

Hen weekend Bodelwyddan Castle

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Bodelwyddan Castle 31/3/06 Hen Weekend.
Room excellent tea and coffee facilities, really clean beds and towels soft. Excellent sizes for two people.
70s weekend, all the bar staff and restaurant staff very helpful nothing was to much trouble and there was
18 of us, being all women still got served at bar even with water.
Disco fab, not that keen of the group on Saturday bit
out of tune only paid £135.00 for 2 nights breakfast and dinner all with excellent choices.
Pre book any spa treatments in advance as we were to
late, all other activities free, salsa, line dancing,
archery and many more excellent help and safety tips.
Kathy from Cheshire"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of April 2006

First and LastTime Here

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Having stayed at Warner hotels before we were expecting the same level of service, entertainment and quality that we had previously. How wrong we were.

The room was dark and you definitely would not like to spend any time in it for fear of contracting SAD syndrome. It was a disabled room that I would say had been designed by a person who did not understand the needs of wheelchair bound customers. It was not possible to access the toilet directly on and use the support bars provided. The support bars and the position of the sink prevented this. It was little wonder there were scrape and marks in the room as manoeuvring in the room was extremely difficult. The needs of the less able had been paid lip service to.

The reception area is the smallest I have ever come across in all my travels round the world; you stand with your back against the entrance. whilst standing at the reception desk. The staffs were more helpful only after I had complained. One had the feeling that, if we had not remarked on the “events” during the stay, then the level of service would have been “adequate only”.

The in house entertainment was poor. Of the featured acts the singer did not show, they managed to get a replacement at short notice and when you heard him sing this was understandable. The comedian did not show, no replacement other than the deputy entertainment manager, from the in house staff (the views in house entertainment already make).

Not one of the daily quiz papers was out on time (up to 12 hours late). The organised quiz, day one they could not find the advertised quiz, day two came up with the same quiz as day one, then found another. Fifty questions, a picture quiz that was passed round the tables, we had not had all the photos when out came the answers, we will mark it out of forty (entertainments person Warner’s), this was not a joke

Food not to the standard of other Warner hotels, should be classified as poor, it would not survive as a stand-alone restaurant. Serving staff in the restaurant good (and these were probably the lowest paid staff)?

Members of the bar staff were rude arrogant and did not know how to treat a customer.

Over heard the resident singer to another member of staff, when she told them it was their last night the room cheered, “ that’s never happened before”, speaks volumes?

My view is that it is down to the management to manage, this was managed badly"

• Travel date: Sat 18th of March 2006

smokers pardise

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"i went to this hotel with my husband for a valintines weekend. the grounds are stunning and if you are a smoker you will enyjoy it is a smokers paradise every where smells off it .there is only one small part of the main bar that is non smoking and that is on a raised platform and every one knows that smoke rises except warners that is. we found the room and food ok. the room were the enterainment was far to small for the amount off people that was there."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of March 2006

What a let down

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Having stayed at Warner hotels in the past we were looking forward to our 4-night mid-week break. What a disappointment. We paid extra for a 'Royale' room - supposedly the best in the hotel. The room was large - but far from luxurious. Uncomfortable seats, mix and match brassware in the bathroom (some 'gold', some chrome!), exposed chipboard edges on the bath surround, etc. The restaurant menu was uninspiring, unimaginative and limited. 'Steak and Kidney Pudding', Fish and Chips, Sausage and mash, are items best found on the menu in a transport cafe - not a supposed quality hotel. Vegatables were soggy and limp and unappetising. Evening entertainment is provided but the 'main feature' (a singer or comedian) only comes on late into the evening after a couple of hours of bingo and quizzes. We gave up and went to bed!
The grounds are pleasant but the hotel was hopeless. Not recommended."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of March 2006

Butlins in a Castle

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We booked a 3 night break with Warners at Bodelwyddan Castle for a 'Simply Dancing' break.
The brochures portrayed a luxury, classy hotel set in a fabulous castle in Wales.
The setting and grounds are indeed nice, but our room was in an annex built on the side of the castle and about the same standard as a Travel Lodge, clean and adequate, but not the standard expected for the price we payed.

We looked foreward to all the daytime activities, Archery, Mountain Biking, Swimming etc, with a chance to dress up and dine and dance in style at night.
But the dancing timetable was given to us on arrival, and the lessons were in a bowling hall (appalling sound quality), and lasted all day long. OK we were disapointed to miss the other 'free' activities, but we enjoyed the dance classes.

It was when we arrived dressed for dinner in the large, bustling 'school canteen' with self service buffet which was totally inedible, frozen overcooked veg, and compressed, tastless joints of meat etc. that we were ready to leave there and then. We decided to give the benefit of doubt and to look foreward to the 'evening spectacular' and practice our dancing.

We found ourselves sat in a large concert room with tiny dance floor, everyone was playing Bingo which was to last for over an hour. Retiring to find an escape, we found all other bars closed and had no choice but to go back to our room to wait for the games to finish.
The 'entertainment' would have been great if it was a comedy, but the amateurish, entertainments team, thrashing out songs from the shows for the rest of the night was the last straw. It really was awfull.

We left early next morning, no one asked why we were checking out 2 days early, having payed for the whole holiday in advance and was not offered a refund, being 'British' we did not ask for a refund, made no fuss and left.
We did offer these and many other observations to Warners in a letter on our return, but have still not had a reply or apology.

The whole Warner experience would be perfect for a working mens club outing,
but the impressions we took from the brochures of a first class hotel with fine dining and classy entertainment was misleading at the mildest.

If this had been a budget priced holiday, we would have accepted our mistake. We left and booked into a 4 star hotel in the Lake district charging similar prices to Warners, and had a fabulous time."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of January 2006

Disappointing.

Reviewed Thu 12th of May 2016

"Considering we paid out quite a lot of money hoping for a luxury Christmas and New Year we were very disappointed. We couldn't sleep the first night due to a noisy motor in the adjacent plant room ( I suspect it just needed a drop of oil). I complained FIVE times about this before anything was done. Nobody seemed interested. I had to drag a manager to the room before we got moved. We were moved to a non-disabled room which meant my partner had to negotiate some stairs and she had problems getting in and out of the bath. The bed linen looked as if it had seen better days and one quilt cover had holes in it. The replacement had at least one hole in it. The carpet in the hall upstairs was worn and even had holes. The TV didn't properly and I awoke early one morning freezing. The radiator had a faulty valve but I think that morning the heating was actually off. The main entertainment hall couldn't cope with all the guests and you had to get in there well before anything began in order to get a seat. There was competing entertainment at the same time in the bar area. Why not stagger the times? Food wasn't too bad but the dinning room was usually crowded. We were offered £200 off our next Warner but as we never intend to return we rejected it and would have liked somewhat more than £200 cash back. We accepted an off of 200 back but Warner failed to comply and we had to chase them for it. I would use 3 words...disorganized, arrogant and complacent. Go on a cruise instead!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 12th of May 2016

Hotels near Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel

Stayed at Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel

• Penzance by Penzance

"Ask about the location of your room. to prevent walking half a mile from garden lodge. "

Warner Leisure Hotels Bodelwyddan Castle Historic Hotel is also called