Fabulous stay

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We have just returned from a fabulous weekend break at the St. Georges Hotel. The hotel, as previously stated, has undergone a tremendous refurbishment and our suite (room 217) had the biggest double bed I've ever seen, two t.v.s (one in bedroom, flat screen in lounge area), a beautiful bathroom (separate shower and bath) and two windows looking directly over the bay. We'd concur that the carpark is small and you should be warned that you may be blocked in for some time as we were. However, it is true that most hotels in Llandudno don't have carparks at all. We did experience a few minor irritations, not being able to get out of the carpark when we wanted (taxi was ordered and paid for by the hotel), no paper delivered as requested. The staff and manager couldn't do enough to rectify these problems and everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. The breakfast was delicious and plentiful, the hotel is very clean and luxuriously fitted out. Llandudno itself is beautiful with two large beaches, lots of lovely walks, some very good shops and easy access to Anglesey and Snowdonia. If the nightlife is important to you however this is not the place to go. (The nightlife is not important to us, we're too old!) and there are lots of very acceptable restaurants in close proximity (Paysanne in Deganwy, Mama Mia's in Craig y Don, Queens Head in Glanwydden etc). Overall a beautiful place to stay and a lovely hotel to stay in. We thought the prices were very fair and will definitely be going back."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of March 2007

What a fantastic weekend break

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Having heard about the recent £4 million refurbishment we were very keen to have a weekend away in a luxury 4 star hotel.

Not having been to Llandudno for many years we were keen to take our daughter to the seaside and enjoy walks along the beach and promenade. What a fantastic weekend!!!

The Hotel was in the perfect spot on the Prom, from the moment we walked in and we were welcomed at reception it was the start of a perfect weekend away.

The £4 million was money well spent, the reception and lounge areas were spacious and very luxurious and the terrace lounge was the perfect place to enjoy a coffee looking out over the sea.

The bedrooms and the rest of the public areas continued this modern feel (I was glad to see they retained a lot of the original Victorian architecture). Our bedroom was very spacious and comfortable, containing everything you might need and a few little extras highlighting the 4 star status. Our daughter slept on a very comfortable sofa bed and had a perfect nights sleep (thank goodness)

The restaurant well deserved the rosette and you could tell the chefs and restaurant team cared about what they were doing.

I can whole heartedly recommend the hotel to anybody wishing to visit Llandudno."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of February 2007

What a delightful surprise

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"My wife and I were invited by old friends to stay the night at the St. Georges hotel. My first reaction was to check other guest comments for the same venue. I noticed that until September 2006, there were some scathing reviews, and from October onwards, things turned more positive., Even so, my expectation level was very low. Large hotels on 'The Promenade' in the UK are often poor. How wrong I was. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, my wife and I were highly delighted. All the staff are very welcoming and well-trained, our suite (room 318) was well appointed, clean, spacious (with a really comfortable king bed), the restaurant (managed by the very capable Ashley) was notably excellent, and I'm just glad I didn't promise to eat my hat if the hotel was to a high standard. It was above all our expectations. Congratulations to the management and staff - keep up your very high standards - we really need it in the UK."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of February 2007

great new year

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"After our wedding on the 29th December 2006 and before going on honeymoon . My husband and I wanted somwhere nice to celebrate new year so we booked the two night package.We were not dissapointed.The hotel was great friendly staff good food and a great atmosphere.Will definitely go back"

• Travel date: Thu 25th of January 2007

superb hotel

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"just got back from having a 2 night stay at the st georges hotel.the hotel has just had a total refurb and it was worth every penny. the hotel was clean, staff were helpful and friendly, and the breakfast was nice and plentiful.the only downside for us but maybe not for others is that on the booking form on the internet, it gave a choice of smoking or non smoking. this hotel is now totally non smoking. we would recommend this hotel and would definately go back."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of November 2006

Fantastic Stay

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Just returned from a great stay at this hotel. Room 223 was immaculate and was very comfortable. Hotel was quiet but we are talking November. Ate in Restaurant which I would highly recommend, loads of optons and only 23.00 pounds per person for 3 courses. Staff were friendly and waiting on staff very professional. Looking forward to staying again."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of November 2006

Do Not Stay Here!!! Be Warned

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"I booked a seaview executive room a week before my arrival. This sounded lovely. When we checked in we were directed to a poky little box with a window on the left looking directly onto a wall (approx 3 metres away) and a window to the right looking onto an airconditioning unit and wall above the hotel's ground floor. The room was incredibly dark. There was no sea view whatsoever. Hence, we did not stay. We were offered £20.00 discount if we stayed in the room but this was not the point of our trip. The hotel room plays a big part in our breaks (we have a small child so tend to spend a lot of time in the room in the evening) so there was no way we were staying in that! Just for your reference, the room number is 216. The management were very unhelpful. They claimed that there were no seaview rooms left when we arrived. What is the point in booking it then?
It was such a shame as we have stayed in many McDonald Hotels before and they have all been wonderful. I would rate all the others 10/10, but this one was a disgrace. I wish I had read the reviews before we went as it seems there are many like-minded readers."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of November 2006

Fawlty Towers... With an Alleged 4 Star Rating. Appaling.

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Where do I start??!!
This incidentally, is a genuine visit and assessment. We are not happy, and that is understatement of the century!

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights in August. What a mistake. In June we got the opportunity of a few days away (my sister was to look after our 8 year old) for August. Manna from heaven and the first time in 5 years. I did research into accomodation, as we had specific requirements. I made phone calls. Llandudno was of interest. I had not been there for 30 years. I wish I still hadn't been.

My experience from God knows how many holidays: parking is a big issue. I would not pay for any hotel without its own car park included, i.e. ease of parking, come and go as you please. We also wanted a room of a reasonable size, i.e. some room to breathe. I turned down the Grand Hotel in Llandudno when they said there was no private car park.

I rang the St Georges Hotel and was told by reservations that:
a) "there was a large car park, with ample parking", and b) "the rooms were of a decent size". They quoted a double room at £120 a night, or £140 with a sea view. Santa Maria! London/Brighton prices for Llandudno. They are joking!

I booked with Superbreak, and got a double room for two nights for £208. Still A LOT of money.

When we arrived, I was mystified by the absence of the "large car park". This turned out to be a tiny sidestreet car park for about 20 cars, and was also USED BY STAFF!!! The reception said it was better than most in Llandudno!! I was so re-assured.... not!

This paled into near-insignificance when we got to our room. It was tiny. And I mean TINY. It was meant to be a double room. There was a double bed with about a foot gap around it. The bathroom was bigger! This had cost £104 a night! In reality it was a small single room with a double bed crammed in. Profit maximisation time over customer satisfaction. It wasn't worth anything like the BIG MONEY we had paid. I expected (with good justification), and had checked that we were getting a far bigger room for that kind of money. It was a shoebox and a claustrophobic cubicle.

We complained at reception. The Australian guy there said that their business was predominantly from coach parties, and that our room should be £140 a night!! He said it "was the going rate for the area". Absolute rubbish. North Wales is a depressed area. This fellow said they were fully booked. We took another room offered (same size) purely because it had a better view. Said fellow had also offered to hold the room while we looked for alternative accomodation..... not he. Talk about passing the buck. I thought that shocking. It was 4.30pm, now raining (it rained the whole time there. Whoopee!), August, and allegedly Wales no.1 seaside holiday resort. We hadn't got a prayer and decided to make the best of a bad job.

At 6.15pm we went out to go in the car to eat elsewhere (they were not having any more of my money, if I could help it). It was jammed in the 'car park'. It took 30 minutes to get out. The reception service was appalling. Others there were similarly unhappy.

We went out later on foot in Llandudno. It was dead. The pubs closed at 11.00pm! Wake up and live in the real world please. This is also a holiday resort in August. What a joke! A notable exception was the stunning Wetherspoons pub The Palladium, a restored theatre. Top marks, Wetherspoons! Stunning place.

Back to Fawlty Towers, Llandudno-style. We got back at 12.20am ish, to find the main door locked. It took 20 minutes of ringing the buzzer to bring the night porter, yet the bar and reception were completely empty. Asleep, were we? Incidentally, it was raining and windy. We got (further) soaked.

I could not comment on the food/restaurant/breakfast. I had no desire to try it. The bar prices were extortionate, even by hotel standards.

I am writing to the manager to ask for an explanation of all this. I don't like being lied to and conned, and that is precisely what happened with this hotel. To give us such a matchbox for a room at over £100 a night, and then try and justify it by saying it is the going rate, is insulting and questioning our intelligence. The car parking ditto.

I think that the coach party visitors, no doubt staying for longer than us, were getting the better/proper rooms. I bet these OAP's were not paying what we were though. I also think Superbreak/similar customers are being shoved to the bottom of the pecking order.

Of interest, I found out the following at reception: the hotel is in the MacDonald brochure, yet in reality is only OVERSEEN by them. It is actually owned by a company called Andabry, and specifically by a middle-easterner called Mr Zairy. I think I now know where the £2 million quid came from for the refit, and why the prices have skyrocketed at this hotel.

Our visit was a disaster and a rare opportunity at that. I am sick with anger at being lied to and ripped-off.

£140 a room for the night, the going rate....... my arse! Maybe in Brighton. Not Llandudno. I wouldn't pay that there, either."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of September 2006

let down by the restaurant.

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Booked through Superdeals to stay at the St Georges 26-29 July 2006. Rang the day prior to our arrival to see about a sea-view room, only to be told by a curt receptionist that I had only booked a 'classic' (standard) room. However, it did have a restricted sea -view. The whole hotel has been refurbished recently so the rooms are quite nice, but the air conditioning does not work. As it was some of the hottest days of the year I mentioned it to reception who provided a fan within 30 mins. On the first morning our room was serviced whilst we were at breakfast, however, on the second day ( Friday, coach party leaving day) it was mid afternoon before it was done. The service in the restaurants really let this hotel down. Waiters did not appear to have 'stations' to look after and you had to catch the eye of a passing waiter to have your order taken. As there was a coach party in, the service was slow, so slow that at dinner on the second night my wife and I gave up waiting for our desserts and left the restaurant before they were served. I also thought the dinner was expensive at £23 a head and that did not include tea or coffee afterwards (pay extra at the bar!) Breakfast was no better organised with some guests being ask by three different waiters if they would like tea/coffee/toast etc. Also the head waiter kept disappearing instead of being at the entrance to direct guests to their tables (albeit still dirty from the previous guests, very slow to clear and re-lay) We cancelled dinner at the St George on the third night and dined at The Empire Hotel. The St George has no 'atmosphere' and is not a leisure hotel, more of a business man's hotel. At the moment it does not come up to 4* standards and has few amenities. Bar prices also a bit steep, £6.60 for a Guiness and a brandy+ 7up."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of August 2006