Exterior

Convenient and friendly

Reviewed 26th March 2013

"Have stayed at this hotel several times over the years but first time to review! I always enjoy my stays here as everything is so convenient and accessible! Easy parking, friendly staff, reasonable rates [always negotiate] and lovely leisure facilities. Brill spa treatments, but need to book in advance. Excellent breakfast and good early bird menu which we enjoyed last evening before going out. The train into Cardiff city is within walking distance and good bus service as well. Driving - so much to see within a 20 mile radius but Cardiff city has loads to do and the Bay is great for a meal out and walks towards the barrage in Penarth."

• Travel date: 18th April 2010

too noisy

Reviewed 23rd March 2013

"We stay at this fairly regularly because it is very convenient for visiting relatives in Cardiff. Leisure centre is excellent - Pool in particular. Problem is soundproofing in the bedrooms - a few years ago we were kept awake by the very loud nocturnal activities by the couple in next door bedroom - and last w/end we were awoken by the loud singing in the bar below at 2.30am - the Welsh under 18 rugby squad combining with a private Irish family party - which took an hour to settle down - but a ruined night's sleep."

• Travel date: 12th April 2010

GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Reviewed 24th March 2013

"Arrived on Good Friday for a three night stay. The hotel is situated next to the M4 but this caused no problems in fact was a plus point for further travel. The check in went with out any problems and we were given a room in the new wing and this was a larger family room so was a really good size . The room was newly decorated and modern with a large flat screen tv , the bathrooms looked a little dated and had obviously not been updated with the rooms. The only bad point I would say is that if you have people in the room above you do get some noise. On the first night we decided to stay in the hotel to eat. The hotel pub is really nice and has a very cosy feel to it and even better on friday nights they do a burger promotion . The cost of a burger being only £1 nothing fancy but when you consider that the normal price of the burgers , ok larger and served with chips cost nearly £10. Again the down size is like in other reviews it can get a little smokey with cooking fumes. The lounge and reception are great for people watching again on the down side they really do need to have someone clearing empty glasses and plates when people leave. We watched on three nights, tables not been cleared for 2 or 3 hours and this made a nice area look very untidy .The pool and leisure complex was top notch also the staff were really good but it would have been nice to see a manager or some body who seemed in charge. Another minus I believe is the way people are allowed to dress in the restaurant .I am no snob but I think that shorts and flip flops in the restaurant on Easter Sunday pushes the relaxed dress code a little far. To finish this report, this is a really nice 3 or 4 star hotel ."

• Travel date: 7th April 2010

Very comfortable - just needs a lick of paint

Reviewed 21st March 2013

"This hotel is just off J32 of the M4 and about 4 miles out of Cardiff city centre. Not a problem at all as there is an excellent bus service into town from just down the road (numbers 26, 132 and 136) and Coryton railway station a little further. We stayed here under their "3 nights B&B for £132" deal, which was a good price for the service etc that we received. We were upgraded to a king room on arrival as the rest of the hotel was full. This meant that we were in the accommodation only wing, perfect as there were very few people to go past the room. The bed was very comfortable and there was a small sofa in the room. I assume that this is a sofa bed. The normal tea & coffee making facilities, ironing board and iron and extra pillows and a fan, should we need it. The temperature of the room was fine. The bathroom has obviously been overused and just now needs a lick of paint - but all clean. The breakfast was very decent and you could have as much as you like: fruits, cereals, pastries, cooked breakfast. This meant that for 3 days we didn't actually need any lunch! The staff were all very pleasant and we never had any cause for concern with them. Just as a point of interest, don't expect amazing food from the "pub" section. We ate there on the last evening and it was obviously microwaved, which we were expecting, but it was just a bit TOO processed for our liking. On the other evenings we had eaten either at Cardiff Bay or in the city centre. There's also a McDonalds about 1 min away by car from the hotel. On the plus side of the "pub", the beer was good (apparently), as were there selection of wines. Oh and pints of beer are £1.50 on a Sunday evening!"

• Travel date: 5th April 2010

Would stay again no problem

Reviewed 25th March 2013

"Booked last minute for the weekend of a Wales rugby international,every room in Cardiff was full or over priced.When we seen this was a couple of miles out of the city centre we were a bit reluctant to book it but it turned out perfect.A small train station 5 minute walk away with trains running every 30 mins into the centre(£2.10 single) makes it easy to get around.Staff were great,room was large,clean and well appointed.Did'nt have time to check out the lesuire club but the hotel pub/bar was great.Breakfast was brilliant ,quick check out,no problems would stay again no problem.Beware taxi drivers try to charge £15-£16 to get from city centre to here,but the real fare on the meter is £10.60(20/3/2010)"

• Travel date: 23rd March 2010

Fancy a family weekend away? Book elsewhere!

Reviewed 19th March 2013

"Its 11pm and the take that tribut band are half way through the set I am assuming is intended to listened to from your adjoining family rooms. The hotel general manager has said there is nothing he can do because it is a private function. The duty manager has told me they have one everyweekend. I have been offered another room at the other end of the hotel, but they can't offer me adjoining rooms over there so it means the kids will have to share with us. This is not what I paid for and my helpful reminders that they are a 'family' hotel and that they could have mentioned it on any of the three occassions I spoke to the hotel - directly - before I booked or at check in. If you are thinking of coming anyway for the food - don't - I had to sent chips back twice. A Grill that can't cook chips?!?"

• Travel date: 19th March 2010

OK BUT THERE ARE BETTER, CHEAPER HOTELS IN THE AREA.

Reviewed 29th March 2013

"This is a large hotel which appears to focus on events, weddings, conferences,and its spa facilities rather than its rooms and meals. Going in we were meet first with a group of smokers from a wedding reception just outside the entrance and then with an overpower smell of burnt oil from the resturant as we entered reception, The receptionist was OK but, she unhelpfully directed us to a broken lift rather than a working one. Our part of the hotel was noticably colder than the main part. The room was spacious, with a bed and sofa. Once in the room we had to call for help to get the electric fire going and again to find the second set of towels. It would have been nice if the room had been heated and towels set out prior to our arrival. The bottoms of the net curtains were dirty and when we ran the bath the water had some scum. There was some intermittent noise until about 2am from inconsiderate guests, probably from the wedding, running and shouting in the corridor. The reception staff in the morning were warm, helpful and pleasant and the breakfast team exceptionally so. The burnt fat smell had gone and the buffet breakfast was better than most."

• Travel date: 9th March 2010

Nice staff, hated the smell of chips. Not for Vegetarians!

Reviewed 20th March 2013

"The unsmistakable and overpowering smell of chips was a good indicator of the style of the food here. Such a shame because the staff (except for the chap in the restaurant who shrugged his shoulders in disgust when I asked if there was something other than pasta or curry for a vegetarian) were all superb, polite and helpful. Rooms are quite nice and reasonably clean. The meal I had at the bar (Mr Shruggy having scared me away from the restaurant) was a veggie burger with a pile of soggy fries served, minus a plate, on a paper napkin on a tray. Was OK but not what you'd expect at an hotel and certainly not a place a veggie would go for a special meal out. Breakfast looked good but was luke warm and the coffee tasteless. The location, by taxi from the rail station, was a nightmare at rush hour and took forty minutes to reach. I'll give future meetings at this venue a very wide berth or pack some sandwiches. The staff (apart from Mr Grumpy) were wonderful even though they must have been glad to go home and shower away the smell of chips................................."

• Travel date: 26th February 2010

Is this a hotel or a budget motel?

Reviewed 27th March 2013

"Having stayed at other Village hotels before I arrived here with work colleagues with few concerns. Umm..... Booking in took ages - the receptionists were very polite but complained furiously about the "new IT system" which slowed everything down (quote - it's been in place since November but still doesn't work) My room turned out to be in the "old section" which I only discovered by the time I complained about the cold. OK - this was a cold spell but my room was chilly. I booked in at 6pm and the room was freezing - left the heating on but returned at 9pm it was still colder than the corridor. Other colleagues complained in the morning that their rooms were too hot - obviously had my heating!! When I complained at 9.30 pm I was treated with disdain - 3 people asked me if I had turned my heating on (duh) and then eventually sent someone to check. My heating was OK but was obviously inadequate for the room so I was told that my best option would be to get into bed where I would be warmer or go down to the bar which was a warm area. After being given an extra quilt (no heaters available) I did retire to bed and got up to a chilly room again Poor service and would not stay again - no apology or reduction in rate despite my complaint and obvious discomfort"

• Travel date: 14th January 2010

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"We stayed for a wedding just for one night. This hotel was perfect for a wedding , The staff were friendly and helpful , the breakfast was tasty and varied. The bedroom was clean and beds comfortable. The leisure suite perfect, probably one of the best I have visited as it was clean and spacious . Well reccomended !"

• Travel date: 11th October 2009

Don't eat at the verve grill... if you're after good service

Reviewed 10th September 2009

"We booked the accommodation on a BB with dinner on first night - the accommodation is very good and we booked the restaurant at check in because we were told that the restaurant get really busy at the weekend. Having booked it for 8pm we didn't get out of the restaurant til 10.35pm even though it wasn't fully booked! It took 45 mins from clearing the starter plates and serving the main course, and another 45 between main course plates being cleared and dessert which were supposedly warm but weren't so we had to return them to be heated - personal opinion they transferred the dessert to another plate as they were even colder the second time round, ice cream didn't even melt... the general feelling after speaking to the person in charge is 'you're getting your dinner as part of a package, what more do you want?' - you get a better service at a weatherspoon! Watch out for table 29!"

• Travel date: 10th September 2009

Dont recommend...!!

Reviewed 28th March 2013

"I dont ussually do negative reviews but unfortunately this hotel quite disappointed me.. I just thought the hotel had not atmosphere and the food both in the pub and the restaurant were inedible.. the carbonara had so much oil that even my husband couldnt eat! Just one towel for a double bedroom and the room was boiling hot.. If you want somewhere just to sleep is fine, but if you are waiting for a bit of atmosphere to make your weekend.. forget it!!"

• Travel date: 12th August 2009

Hotels near Village Hotel Cardiff

Village Hotel Cardiff is also called

• De Vere Village Cardiff
  • village cardiff hotel cardiff
  • village cardiff hotel