2049
Good

I stay at many many hotels because of my...

Reviewed Fri 18th of January 2008

"I stay at many many hotels because of my hobby and this is the best I have stayed at in Cardiff.

This is the second time I have used this hotel and I will continue to use and also recommend to others.

The room facilities are excellent for a budget style hotel and are actually better than some 4/5 star hotels I have stayed in. Everything you could require in the room is available to you down to DVD/cd player/free net access etc.. there are two places to eat downstairs and also Pizza Hut & a pub outside the front door.

The hotel is in walking distance of the whole bay area which includes hotels/bars/cafes/restaurants etc.. and is only just over a mile away from the city centre.

The staff were helpful, friendly and on call for any need I might have, and I hope to return there again shortly."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of January 2008

Cardiff Bay Hotel is a 5 star top of the...

Reviewed Thu 31st of May 2007

"Cardiff Bay Hotel is a 5 star top of the range spa resort right in the heart of the new Cardiff Bay area.

The rooms come in three different grades standard, King, and suites. We stayed in a 'King Room' which was well below the standard I expected for a hotel of this kind.

For example in room entertainment was poor with a tiny, dated TV, no CD or hi fi equipment and limited comfort. Whilst the room had a balcony there was no balcony furniture.

Staff were helpful and friendly but there was a lack of quality overall. For example we were kept waiting for 15 minutes for our table at breakfast whilst this was set for us; when we were seated our table was left cluttered with dirty plates, the continental breakfast buffet was insufficiently stocked, etc.

All this gave the impression that whilst the facilities may well be 5 star the actual quality of the service was 2 star.

The Spa was OK, but seemed pre-occupied with packing in a big Jacuzzi and a pretty meaningless hot spring area. The pool is only 15 metres and too small for a meaningful exercise.

If you stay here don't use the restaurant. Instead use one of the many very good restaurants in the bay area. For example Mimosa - about a 5 minute walk away - does an excellent breakfast for a third of the price of the hotel.

Woods Brassarie is also worth a visit although expect to pay about £35 per head for a decent meal with wine.

In the end the Cardiff Bay Hotel fails to meet the standards I expected. I would not stay here again."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of May 2007

Don't Stay Here!!

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Stayed here in December for a weekend and found the favourable reviews wide of the mark with their praise.
Shoddy overall service together with an arrogant management team made for terrible hotel experience. The only saving grace is the excellent breakfast restaurant, though this is run by a separate company under different management. There are far better options available in Cardiff, I'll be staying at the excellent Park Plaza in future."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of January 2007

FAB!

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"Stayed here for one night as we were going to the Wales Millenium Centre (WMC) in the evening as two of many Jones’s gathering to try and break the Guiness Book of Records record for the number of people with the name in one place– which we did by miles!

Saw this hotel on WMC’s website and it is only a short 5-10 walk from WMC (from hotel, walk past Brewers Fayre and Pizza Hut into Red Dragon Centre and out again at top left. This takes you to opposite the WMC). We booked after checking Trip Advisor and reading the very good reviews. The WMC webpage gives a ref no to quote to get a ‘special’ rate. We paid £83 for the room including English buffet breakfast (fab quality and choice). Normal price is £75 per room excluding breakfast (£10pp extra for full English).

For me, there are four basic things that make a good hotel and this hotel has them all (rare!):
1) Powerful shower
2) More than one pillow each (without having to ask for more)
3) Dressing table/mirror that has plug socket near enough for hairdryer, straighteners etc
4) Windows that open

The room was spotlessly clean and a good size with two comfy five-foot wide beds with soft white duvet covers and loads of pillows. We prefer to sleep with window open but traffic was a bit noisy so opted for aircon. The tiny corner wardrobe is a bit inadequate if you were staying a few days but it does contain an iron and ironing board. Bathroom: Bath with fab powerful shower with plenty of hot water; steam-free mirror; 3 sizes of towels each and even a flannel.

Girls: So nice to have a decent powerful hairdryer and on the dressing table, not in the bathroom. Plenty of plugs nearby too for hair straighteners etc. (Usually hotels have a fixed hairdryer in the bathroom and plug socket nowhere near the dressing table mirror for hairdryer and straighteners etc that I always bring an extension cable and own hairdryer with me!)

The only little niggle, as another has TA reviewer also mentioned, is that ‘room service’ closes at 11pm and does not offer food/snacks, only drinks. There are cold drinks and chocolate bar vending machines on level 1 but it would be nice to have a sandwiches etc on room service menu.

Highly recommended. Hope more open soon (only one other in Plymouth at the moment)."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of November 2006

couldnt ask for better accommodation

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Could not find one fault with this hotel. From the minute we arrived to the minute we checked out the staff couldn't do enough for you. They were so polite and very helpfull. Answering any question with ease.

Hotel rooms were very clean and spacious and with all amenities that you could ask for. Children loved the free internet access and choice of television programmes.

Breakfast was lovely, cooked to perfection, hot and enjoyable.

Enjoyed it so much that we have booked to go back in 4 weeks time!!!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 14th of November 2006

Great Hotel

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Visited Cardiff for shopping and a night out and stayed at the Fortune Inn in Cardiff. The hotel is clean, modern, spacious, very comfortable and excellent value for money. Having stayed in the centre of Cardiff before and found it very noisy at night, this hotel was much better. It is in Cardiff Bay near the Red Dragon centre, it's a short taxi ride from the centre of Cardiff and is fairly quiet. The room we had was one of the nicest I've stayed in recently, very modern and spacious with digital TV, hairdryer, iron & Ironing board. The staff were very friendly. Didn't get to experience breakfast as we'd had a late night and didn't make it down in time which was a shame as the restaurant looked lovely. Definately recommend this hotel for a stay in Cardiff."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of October 2006

A Breath of Fresh air

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Having stayed at the sister hotel in Plymouth, I choose the Cardiff hotel after enjoying my stay at the Plymouth location.

The Future Inn in Cardiff is a breath of fresh air. I could not fault the hotel in any way.

On arriving the reception staff were extremley welcoming and very helpful. One question I posed could not be answered so the receptionist immediatley contacted someone else to find and answer to my query. Very helpful indeed.

The rooms are spacious and very clean - so comfortable in fact I staying in the room working for some considerable time.

The beds are very comfortable and combined with air conditioning it proves a very peaceful nights sleep.

Only ate at the bar on this occasion but again the service was top notch and the food of very good quality and quantity served with a very helpful waitress.

The TV in the room is brilliant, the free internet a help and the pay for broadband link very simple to use.

All in all a fantastic hotel in a superb location and one which I will return to and totally recommend to anyone whos staying in Cardiff"

• Travel date: Fri 6th of October 2006

Clean, new, spacious & family-friendly

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"We stayed here for 3 nights in August and were very impressed with the high quality room. We have two small children who were made very welcome and wanted to live here permanently! A very nice feature was the internet TV allowing both freeview TV and free email and internet access with some kids games thrown in. A DVD/CD player is also provided - so bring your own! The location is in the heart of Cardiff Bay which is loaded with bayside restaurants and activities. Recommend Techniquest which the hotel has vouchers for. We had a lovely break and highly recommend it."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of September 2006

Great Hotel, Great Location!

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"This hotel is great! Rooms were large and clean. Prices are cheap and its very easy to find the hotel. You have cardiff city centre down the road and the bay a short walk away. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is on a budget and wants to visit or stay in cardiff!"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of September 2006

This Cardiff Bay hotel is known as the F...

Reviewed Fri 1st of September 2006

"This Cardiff Bay hotel is known as the Future Inn. It is a terrible, very badly-managed hotel. Avoid at all costs. I booked a triple room for my family six months in advance, but when we arrived we were told there was no record of our reservation. Bizarrely, the manager also said she had never heard of the reservations website I'd used (ActiveHotels.com) and made out that I had been scammed by a bogus website.

The hotel was fully booked & myself & my family found ourselves turfed out onto the streets of Cardiff at midnight. We had a 4hr drive home which, as we were exhausted, was extremely difficult. Upon investigation the next day, I discovered that my booking was not only valid, but still live and I was at risk of being charged for a non-show on my credit card had I not complained.

The hotel has a contract with ActiveHotels.com and uses them all the time. Although the hotel apologised and admitted their mistake we remain extremely angry that we were treated with such an arrogant & off-hand manner. The manager herself told me that other travellers had turned up having made internet bookings & no rooms had been reserved for them either. This surely must ring loud alarm bells & I am appalled that my experience is clearly not a one-off.

The worst thing about this whole affair is not only that the hotel were in the wrong, but that they made us feel we were in the wrong when we turned up to check in to our room laden with over-night bags. They did not admit they were at fault until after they had ruined our trip to Cardiff and they also did not care that we had no where to go so late at night - a disaster had we been from the US or another overseas country. And what about women travelling alone? They showed a very unprofessional attitude and I would say that booking a room with them is a risky business.

• Travel date: Fri 1st of September 2006

Beware of this sloppy, badly-run hotel!

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"If you are planning a stay in Cardiff, South Wales I strongly recommend you do not book a stay at the Future Inn in Cardiff Bay. The place is a shambles & the management completely lacking in judgement & customer care.

I booked a triple room for myself, my husband & young son six months in advance of our planned over-night stay in August via the ActiveHotels website. We were going to a Rolling Stones concert at the Cardiff Millennium Stadium some 150 miles from our home in England. Naturally, we did not want to make the 4 hr drive back at midnight, but this is what happened after the hotel turned us away. The manager said she had no record of our reservation & suggested that the website we had used was bogus.

The hotel was fully booked for that night & so was every other hotel in Cardiff because of the concert. We were made to feel like tramps & were deeply humiliated at having to leave the hotel so late at night with other guests looking on. We were not even offered coffee before we set off for the very ardulous journey home. I hate to think how some one who may have booked the hotel from the US or another overseas country would have coped that night on being turned away. Or if I'd been a lone woman traveller cast out into the night.

Upon investigation the next day, I discovered that the reservations website I used was a bone fide one & indeed has a contract with the Future Inn. They supply regular bookings every month & so the manager was clearly wrong. In fact, our booking still had a live status & we were in danger of having our credit card charged as a no-show! I was also emailed a guest review form asking me to rate how much I had enjoyed the stay at the hotel!

We remain appalled at our treatment - especially since the manager said it was not the first time people had made Internet bookings that she could find no record of.

OK, maybe we were unlucky. However I do think the staff at this hotel showed a massive lack of judgement, displaying a very uncaring, unprofessional and dangerous attitude to turn away a family with a booking so late at night in an unfamiliar city.

Although the hotel has now apologised & offered a free night's stay at another time, it is an empty gesture as we have no immediate plans to return to Cardiff. What should have been a memorable stay in South Wales was ruined.

The Future Inn is clearly a sloppy, badly run hotel. Traveller beware!"

• Travel date: Thu 31st of August 2006

Very lovely

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"A hotel with all the realistic neccessities of a traveller. Free internet access from a PC in your room, laundromat, good hearty breakfast. Absolutely no complaints!!"

• Travel date: Thu 17th of August 2006