Braeval Hotel

Crescent Road, Nairn IV12 4NB Scotland

Good
Good

Great little hotel with friendly staff, excellent value.

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Found this hotel online and spent 3 nights there. Good base for exploring surrounding area including Fort George and Inverness. We went to John o' Groats and back one day. Bedroom and bathroom quite small but with good shower, and separate bathroom if you fancy a bath. Excellent breakfast. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of May 2009

Clean,Tidy and Very Nice Staff

Reviewed Tue 19th of February 2013

"My husband and i found the braeval hotel very enjoyable, the rooms were very clean and tidy, and the owners and staff were so friendly, they made us feel at home. Great bar and good prices, the seafood platter was to die for. Thanks to morag and gordon for a nice time. Brian and Ellen Morrissey."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of April 2009

Relaxing,Lively and Picturesque all under one roof.

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"The staff were very friendly and helpful when we arrived, this continued throughout our stay and was one of the reasons we decided to stay an extra night. The room we had was cosy and comfortable and had a beautiful view of the Moray Firth. The room has en-suite (which was clean and in full working order), colour tv, tea and coffee making facilities which had the consumables topped up everyday. Hair dryer and alarm clock were also supplied.
Breakfast was very filling and tasty. Bar meals were pleasantly served and enjoyable and reasonably priced. Being able to eat them in the conservatory overlooking the beach and water was an added bonus.
The hotel is situated minutes from the town centre and the beach, with bus and rail facilities a 5 minute walk away."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of April 2009

Great small hotel

Reviewed Tue 19th of February 2013

"A great small hotel serving very good local produce. A fine selection of real ales, and actually 2009 Real Ale Pub of the Year for Highlands. Would have liked a sea view, but couldnt be expected as only a couple of days notice, and the hotel was full. Very helpful staff, and owners, always there to answer any questions. The bar itself has full Sports Sat Stations so good for football and golf. A busy and popular bar with the locals, which is always a good sign. Would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a short stay in the area."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of April 2009

Couldnt ask for a better hotel

Reviewed Fri 15th of February 2013

"I stayed in this hotel for nearly 4 months while working in the area.
I stayed in 2 other hotels in the area which were alot more expensive and had more stars,but werent nearly as good as this one
The location is excellent and the hotel is perfect.
Gordan,Morag couldnt have been any nicer to me on my stay, the food is the best i tasted in the area. I also plan to go back in april 2009 with freinds and family.
I think that anybody going here is in for a pleasent stay."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of March 2009

Achilles Heel

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"This a good small hotel in a great location. I was attracted by the fact it was independently owned and had good food reviews - the food lived up to expectations which was just what we needed after a day's work. The room was comfortable and adequate for my one night stay. The staff were all first class in their friendliness and helpfulness. My party had three rooms, two on the first floor and one on the second floor. The achilles heel for this hotel unfortunately was the two first floor rooms which suffered from the noise from the bar from around 10:30pm onwards. It was very loud and would be a real issue for anyone not dead on their feet! The second floor room was unaffected. I am a good sleeper and was very tired, and even then I stirred a few times until the bar closed. I think the hotel compromises its guests comfort in favour of the trade at the bar and, unless it either tries to sound proof the rooms or keep the noise down, their potential to be a really good hotel will be wasted."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of February 2009

Not quite as expected!!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Upon searching through the Visit Scotland website, myself and my partner stumbled across a hotel on the shore front of Nairn called 'The Braeval Hotel, Bar and Bandstand Restaurant', sounds grand doesn't it?... WRONG.

Upon arriving at the hotel, my partners heart sunk, the overal look of the place isn't quite what you expect from a hotel with such a grand name, and well the photos on the website are nothing to go by.

We arrived at an empty reception, greeted by a sign on the wall saying that we were to ring the bell if there wasn't anyone around. I rung the bell twice, waited for 15 minutes and was only then taken care of by the hotel owner when she seen me as she was taking something upstairs.

As i was greeted by the hotel manager, she seemed friendly enough but we weren't told anything about the hotel, neither were we shown to our rooms and we were clueless as to where breakfasts were held in the morning and came down the following morning to discover that we were actually in the wrong place for breakfast.

Soon after arrival and discovering what I feel was a rather dated and shabby room, I noticed that the light in the shower wasnt working, needless to say I did report this and during our whole stay nothing was done about it, resulting in having showers in the dark. The sink stunk of foul sewage when running the tap.

On the hotel website, it states that all rooms have tea making facilities, however we discovered that we would certainly not be making any tea when we seen the state of the dirty cups and the teapot.

Every time we left the hotel and came back, we were greeted by bar staff smoking and on one occassion spitting right in front of us in the outdoor seating area.

However on a more positive note, the staff who assisted us in the morning with our breakfasts were very willing and helpful and as I have dietary requirements, they were more than happy to help me with and make me feel as if I wasn't just a hassle.

Overall this was a dissapointment and not at all what we expected, we will not be back."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of October 2008

Looking nice, but horribly noisy

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Hotel bar right below sea view room (superior one), very very noisy until at least 1.30 am (music, talk), thus hard to find sleep. Toilet seat broken, probably because even small people (I am 173 cm) can't find space for their knees when sitting on toilet; breakfast menu indicates fresh fruit salad, but has to be ordered separately and is not available to start with - Earl Grey tea, again on the menu, not available.
Average tariff, but we definitely will not go back there."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of September 2008

Food and Friendship

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"What a lovely hotel this is! The hotel is very clean and smart. But most of all the staff (and locals) are really welcoming and friendly. The food's excellent. They have a wonderful sea food menu as well as great bar food. Our room was georgeous with an amazing sea view. We intended to stay one night only and ended up staying 4 days. We'll definately be back."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of May 2008

Great hotel!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We stayed in the newly renovated Braeval Hotel in Nairn for two nights and loved it. The hotel is situated in a great location, overlooking Nairn's beautiful beach. The owners were really helpful and friendly. Our room was a great size, clean, airy and fresh. The breakfasts were tasty and it was lovely to eat in the conservatory overlooking the beach and gorgeous scenery. We had dinner in the bar one evening and the food was really good and very reasonably priced. The bar is nicely decorated and there is a good atmosphere. We really enjoyed our stay here and would be very pleased to return."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of July 2007

Hotels near Braeval Hotel

Stayed at Braeval Hotel? Share your insight.

Braeval Hotel is also called