Twin Bedroom

Good

Classic fast turnover tourist trap

Reviewed 14th April 2012

"This visit was part of a long tour by small jeep around the West Scottish coastal area with a long term foreign pal to illustrate the delights and take pics. I had booked this from the internet unvisited. By the harbour it may be, but the front is on the main road, with difficult access for luggage unless parking on yellow lines. The car park is behind and down a steep slope to gravel 'stick it where you can' spaces. The walk back up was be difficult if disabled at any level, (me). A huge open area forms the lobby, with a small bar at one end, and scattered seating supported by the odd equally well lit side spaces. Light wood and lighting gives an overall characterless brightness. The main bar is reached by going out the front door, and round the main road to it. It was busy and noisy, the small bar counter blocked with locals, not interested in the statutory blaring tele, showing football. (what else) The barman needed help. The lobby bar was in darkness, but we found later - after nosh - open. Being shown the rooms, we were lead along a corridor not unlike a barracks to our rooms. A slight smell of muskey damp greeted me at my berth, entered next to a broken, stuck open door marked with danger of death electricy sign, and 'keep closed' thereon. It was adequate but minimal looking out to the Coop car park. The place seems to have been extended by being added to in bits, block at a time, which results in lots of staircases, so be warned. The dining area is actually pleasant, once down the three flights of stairs negotiated as you will along with the turn right or left to get there on that floor. No lifts. Unfortunately / fortunately our visit co-incided with several University field groups, who filled the dining room with loud unintelligable babble as we were shown to our corner table at the far end. The good thing was we all shared the excellent buffet dinner - very good choices too. However half way into the meal we ordered some beer. 'Get it yourself' was badly received by us, with the staircases in mind apart from the rudeness to full fare paying residents, and the distance from bars. It is fair to say that a suitable word in the requested managers shell, (i.e. ear) brought us our needs by waiter. It should never have happened though. The breakfast was similarly buffet served and up to scratch. Despite the overall nice bright dining area in the morning - and overlooking the harbour, it is very reminiscent of a holiday camp communal grab grub point. Including the queues, where one stood clutching the plate for the chance to grab selections before being pushed forwards, by those also eager for sustinence and following you. This would inevitably happen with coach visitors. So one could be excused for seeing this as simply a 'fast food' version of an hotel, geared up to quick in and out gullible tourist hoards from whom cash is extracted via extras and the mains paid for by the coach tour company."

• Travel date: 14th April 2012

Enjoyable Stay

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"Stayed here during May 06. Comfortable and clean room, some overlook the sea. V quiet. No hairdrier in the room but you can borrow from reception. Bar food was very standard but pretty good quality, only £3.50 for a good steak pie with veg and chips. Buffet breakfast was OK (Sunny D not proper juice though). Seems popular with coach trips. (Usual entertainment some evenings but didn't appeal). Would recommend if the rate you get isn't too expensive (wouldn't pay more than about £60-£80 a room per night). Conveniently next door to Co-op and souvenir shop/petrol station which seems the centre of Broadford life."

• Travel date: 7th May 2006

Best hotel view for a 3 star hotel

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"First impressions of the hotel were not that great as it looked fairly small. For the biggest on the Island I was expecting something more impressive. However my opinion changed when I got in to the reception as it was a lovely hotel. Lovely views over the water from most rooms in the hotel, although if you were in one of the side rooms on the ground floor you had views of a wall and the Co-op. Buffet style breakfast and dinner was carvery style so plenty to choose from. Staff friendly and helpful. Rooms are a little on the small side unless you get a family room. Hotel corridors and rooms were a little tired and could do with a bit of an upgrade. Overall the hotel was nice and in a good location. There is a Co-op next to the hotel and a 24 hour garage - the shop sells everything...and I mean everything! Broadford is not that big, but in my opinion better located than Portree which was a little disappointing for the capital."

• Travel date: 30th April 2006

Hope the disinfectant works

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"Stayed at this hotel with a coach tour. Hotel staff very helpful and friendly but the room had the ambience of a hospital , The single bed was comfortable and the view of the Co-Op car park was 'stunning'. On the 3rd day I and several others went down with a bug which,according to the local hospital, is a regular occurrence at this hotel. Tthe hotel was disinfected, overnight as well as the coach. Hope it works as spending a day in bed on a holiday is no joke. The weather being crap didn't help either."

• Travel date: 20th April 2006

inept management

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"Staff were friendly and pleasant enough, but they had no training whatsoever. Three coachloads were booked in, which I presume they knew about well in advance. On second evening, they ran out of one of the roasts on the carvery menu. On Day three, there was only prines as a fruit option for breakfast, the excuse being given that the delivery was late! 3 coachloads arriving and you allow stocks to run so low that they run out! Changing meal times when coach load of people had arrived for their evening meal, withthe advice from manager that you could have a drink in the bar whilst waiting for another coach load to finish their meal, cost to be incirred by you. Certainly noy a 3 star hotel!!!"

• Travel date: 11th April 2006

Average Hotel

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"Stayed at the Dunollie hotel on business in January. The hotel is just about 3-star, certianly nothing more. Rooms are quite small, basic and the decor is dated. They could definately could do with being upgraded although having recently been taken over by the Swallow group of hotels, this may or may not happen as they appear to be cutting costs in all of there new properties. The food was of a very high standard though, both for dinner and breakfast. The location of the hotel is excellent. Approxiamtely 20 minutes north of the bridge and about the same from Portree.... its a great central base for touring Skye. The views of the coastline and surrounding area are stunning. As long as you do not expect a high level of luxury, this is a good choice for a visit to Skye."

• Travel date: 3rd April 2006

One of the best!!

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"We have stayed at many hotels for short breaks in the Highlands and islands of Scotland, and this was one of the best. ALL the staff were pleasant and helpful, there was always someone available to help and nothing was too much trouble. The manager was extremely approachable, and even though he was unwell at the time of our visit he took the time to speak at length to our party about the plans for the immediate future of the hotel, something we were interested in as we expect to return to Skye for a longer stay later this year. The dining arrangements are slightly different to other hotels, in as much as there is a carvery system in operation which is well supervised by friendly, competent yet unobtrusive staff. All in all, management and staff have an excellent working relationship and this is reflected in the way guests are treated from the moment they arrive at reception. We are already looking forward to our return visit."

• Travel date: 25th March 2006

great find

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"I have to agree with the review for feb 2006.Rooms were comfortable.Service was great but it should be noted this was a quiet period.Parking will always be an issue but it shouldn't detract from a good stay.I was on a DBB deal and was pleasantly surprised by the choice and quality of the food"

• Travel date: 27th February 2006

Fantastic Value

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Well, Having booked this hotel, then reading an earlier review i was apprehensive about what i was letting myself in for. However, i should have not had any worries as this Hotel was well situated, with the backup of an excellent staff who attended to your every need without complaint,coupled with our lucky selection of our room which overlooked the Bay. The quality of the food was excellent and if you booked DBB it was excellent value for money. I'll be back."

• Travel date: 25th February 2006

great location shame about the hotel

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"My weekend stay at the Dunollie hotel in May 2005 was extremely disappointing. I had previously been told, after specifically asking when booking if there was a hotel car park and was assured that there was plenty of space in the hotel car park - not the case on arriving around 9pm. Even exiting from the supposed car park was a challenge due to haphazard, unregulated car parking and proximity to a steep drop into the water. Check in went okay, apart from a military style eastern european receptionist insisting that we "would" eat breakfast at 8.15am, despite breakfast hours continuing until 9.30am! My heart sank rapidly on making my way to our rooms - going down to a basement level, with corridors smelling of damp. On entering the room it was basic, with outdated furniture and TV (no telephone), and a less than charming view of a retaining wall and embankment, where I ascertained that the view - on jumping up and down to get a glimpse out the top of the window - was of the adjacent filling station and supermarket car park. The odour in my room (and also in the adjacent room occupied by my travelling companion)was a mix of the same damp, musty smell that pervaded the corridor, combined with the stench of stale smoke. And this was supposed to be a non smoking room as specifically requested. After a long drive from Aberdeenshire I decided not to complain, as I held out little hope that the rest of the hotel interior was any better in any case. In fairness, on entering the dining room for breakfast next morning (at a reasonable time of 9am, contrary to Sergeant Major's orders), it was very pleasant, set tight against the coast, with spectacular views through large windows. Pity the side view was of the 'car parking area' and the rather grotty looking staff accommodation, both of which were in need of major facelifts. And after having one of the chamber maids burst in on me whilst in my bathroom shortly after breakfast despite me shouting out warning of my presence (and where it did not seem to have occured to her to knock before entering the bedroom), I was glad to escape the gloom and damp of the basement for the day. Although we had planned to eat elsewhere on Skye that evening, due to adverse weather we were forced to return to the hotel around 6.30pm. Enquired at reception whether or not it was necesary to make a reservation for dinner, and another military style order was barked at us that we "would" eat at 6.45pm. I responded that we wished to tidy up first and would like to reserve a table for 7pm. Again we were instructed to eat at 6.45pm (despite dinner allegedly being served until 9pm, as far as I recall from information in the bedrooms). This 'banter' about the time to eat went on for several minutes, and I eventually announced that we would be in the dining room at 7pm. I do not feel it was an unreasonable request, especially on entering the dining room and finding that it was about a quarter occupied! On observing the practices of the staff whilst having dinner - where admittedly the food was okay - I realised that the ploy appears to be shepharding guests in very early and getting the dining room cleared before 8pm. Does not give much chance to savour dinner and enjoy the fine views from the dining room. All in all, I was glad to leave on Sunday morning and would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It appears to cater for coach tours mainly and individual guest do not receive particularly good treatment. It was the second occasion that I was unfortunate enough to have stayed in a British Trust Hotel (with the other poor experience having occurred in Gretna Green) and I can honestly say, never again will I make the mistake of choosing to stay in that hotel chain. It is in no way comparable to three star hotels elsewhere in many parts of Scotland."

• Travel date: 7th February 2006

Beautiful location

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"The views out our window was unbelievable as we looked out onto the water. The rocky beach was right outside our door. The views and the friendly staff made for a very enjoyable stay."

• Travel date: 21st January 2006