Exterior view

Good
1958 reviews

Excellent service

Reviewed 15th March 2011

" During the stay staff were extremely helpful, polite and courteous - what a refreshing change from most budget hotels. I left my washbag at the hotel and rang to enquire about its return. I was put through to housekeeping who dealt twith the problem in a polite and helpful way, arranging to post the item that day at no cost to me. It is the little attentions to detail and politeness that make all the difference, so I can't recommend this hotel enough."

• Travel date: 12th March 2011

Excellent as Always...

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"Not much to say really apart from there were no problems at all.... Staff really friendly, rooms really nice and clean. Very spacious with king bed and sofa, even flat screen tv on wall. Central location. Breakfast nice too! Novotel never lets me down!"

• Travel date: 22nd January 2008

Great Location

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"Great location just off Sauchiehall Street so ideal for shopping/nightlife. Close to Kings Theatre and ABC where we were going to see a band. Staff polite and helpful. Superior room was clean and modern with plasma TV. Fantastic shower but toilet in separate room the size of a cupboard! Didnt try the restaurant/bar as so many places nearby to try. Breakfast was an unbelievable £12 continental or £15 cooked - total rip off! Dont be tempted as hundreds of places to eat for a fraction of the cost. Overall great stay due to perfect location. Car parking only £4 but driving in city centre to be avoided."

• Travel date: 21st January 2008

Spot on Central, nice hotel.

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Only stayed one night at this hotel but it was all good. Glasgow's a nightmare to navigate with it's one way systems, more than any other city you'll visit, but this hotel is very easy to get to despite being smack bang in the middle of things. Upon arrival i was told i could park under the hotel for a £4 fee paid upon exit. I think this would've been the same charge even if i'd stayed 2 nights. Swift pleasant checkin. Admittedly they weren't busy. Got to the room. Lovely, clean, spacious, modern,.. all you could ask. Separate toilet and bathroom, large bath, powerful shower, again all spotless and modern. Tv had usual pay options on top of all the normal channels plus a playstation option with console at £2 an hour. Proper ironing board, hairdryer, tea & biscuits etc.. all there. (i hate the trouser-press only rooms or where you've to call down for the board!). Comfy bed. Not much of a view but it's Glasgow. A living area with sofa, table etc.. to chill out and read your free paper or whatever. There's also a gym area which looked nice, and a decent restaurant (of which i used neither). For the £69 i was charged for the double room, i've rarely had a better deal. I could've got it cheaper if i'd waved the cancellation option (£59) but i noticed in reception the walk-in price was listed as £130. Even that's an okay price for what was a very pleasurable short stay. One negative might be that the foreign members of staff i met weren't over familiar with their surrounds or very capable of honest recommendations when called upon. This however is a very common situation in the service trade in western Europe so can't really be levelled fairly at this hotel! Would definitely stay there again."

• Travel date: 15th January 2008

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"This was a a fantstic hotel conveniently located, very clean spacious rooms, v quiet, great service, room service was brill, breakfast the best I have had in any hotel. Would def stay here again."

• Travel date: 6th December 2007

Acceptable - but

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Booked the hotel through work agent - no problem. I arrived late (after 10 pm )and the staff were great. Was given a disabled room, though not needed or requested, not a problem. Room was fine, better than some of the older Novotels I have stayed at for work. However, there were minor issues - no teabags in room (provided when requested) teabags and milk in room were not replenished for second day - you can guess I need my tea after a day out at work! Breakfast on both days was less than I'd expect from Novotel. OK, I didn't turn up at 7.30 am, but I'd still expect a full choice of fruit etc at 8.15. I didn't expect to have to request bowls for my fruit or a pot tea for the second time nor did I expect to have to wait for 5 -10 minutes even to be ackowledged as waiting for my breakfast! If you just want somewhere to lay your head - absolutely fine. If you spend a lot of time away from home on business and want a bit more' home from home' - be prepared to demand your rights!!1"

• Travel date: 30th November 2007

Excellent value

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I stayed for just one night at the Glasgow Novotel and was very pleased with it. Despite being inundated with rowdy football fans -- there was a big match on Saturday -- both the reception and bar staff were cheerful and efficient. And my room was lovely: spacious, clean and quiet, with a modern decor and amenities that much more expensive hotels (I paid under £70 pounds for a single room, booking directly through the hotel website) do not always provide. I would happily stay here again!"

• Travel date: 21st November 2007

very satisfied

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Convenient position for shopping, sightseeing, eating out, business, theatre, buses Excellent reception & housekeeping staff (mostly east european) Very clean. Very quiet. Great room & bathroom& loo layout Next to police station (so very safe!) negative aspects - very minor but not too thrilled with breakfast arrangements & car park spaces limited and not easy to manoeuvre in. Overall I liked this hotel very much"

• Travel date: 2nd November 2007

Excellent Staff, low low price

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Living in Glasgow it is awfully decadent to stay in a city hotel but due to a house move, it became necessary. Never ever try to find budget hotel accomodation in Glasgow the weekend of an Old Firm game!!!!! However, this was the best hotel experience I have ever had for a room rate of less than £60 a night. The staff in the hotel were so nice, couldn't do enough for you, the rooms were clean and comfortable, the food was excellent and the shower was brilliant. On street car-parking is free between 6pm and 8am and although you have to get up early to feed the meter it is still cheaper than the very small hotel car park. I left my cell phone in the hotel room when I checked out. I realised this very quickly and there was no problem getting access to find it again. If you are in Glasgow, give it a try"

• Travel date: 29th October 2007

Great base in Glasgow

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"We stayed for two nights and were happy with the hotel. Both the hotel and our room were very neat and clean. The staff were friendly. We were able to use the hotel's luggage storage room for a few hours after the official check-out time. Would recommend the breakfast - it was great to be able to eat warm food (there were cereals and sandwiches, too) without leaving the premises. Our only gripe - the breakfast coffee was too weak for our taste, but that could easily be fixed as there are many Starbucks coffee shops in the city. We recommend the lobby bar - knowledgeable and professional staff, a cosy atmosphere. Enjoyed a few drinks and pots of tea and coffee (much better than the brekkie one). All the other guests seemed to be enjoying the hotel, as well. Many nice restaurants and fish-and-chips places are just around the corner from the hotel. The Glasgow train station (which connects perfectly to Prestwick International Airport - approx. 45 mins by train), the big John Lewis shopping mall and other stores are a walking distance from the hotel. In summary, luxury this ain't, but for a nice base to stay it was wonderful."

• Travel date: 18th August 2007

My husband and I stayed here for one nig...

Reviewed 11th July 2007

"My husband and I stayed here for one night whilst we enjoyed a day’s outing in Glasgow. The Novotel was easy to find, situated as it is at 181 Pitt Street, which is within walking distance of Sachiehall Street. Unfortunately, we were driving and driving in Glasgow is a challenge to be met only a few times your life. We were trapped in a one-way system with diversions in operation which didn’t really help with our quest to get to Pitt Street. On the sixth go round, we threw caution to the wind and did a quick U-turn when the street running across the end of Pitt Street (Scott Street) was quiet – and nipped in. Parking: We had hoped to park our car in the hotel’s parking area (self-parking) but unfortunately they have limited spaces. We were ‘lucky’ enough to find a space right at the front of the hotel and were told we could park there because it was after 6pm on a Saturday and as next day was a Sunday we knew we wouldn’t get a parking ticket provided we were up and away around 9am. We were a little nervous about leaving our car in such a prominent position on a Saturday night but Glasgow’s Police Headquarters are a stone’s throw away, so we reckoned we were as well protected as we could hope to be. We have a naff too, which always helps! Reception: It was a busy Saturday evening when we signed in (we had booked via the internet beforehand). We weren’t kept waiting very long and we found the reception staff to be friendly and efficient. As we were going straight out to the theatre, we asked about breakfast for Sunday morning and were given clear and helpful instructions. Room: We took one of the many lifts to our room on the fourth floor (the hotel has seven floors). Our air-conditioned room was nicely decorated in restful shades of cream and yellow. It wasn’t a huge room, but big enough for an overnight’s stay for two people. Despite being a busy Saturday night, we weren’t disturbed by noise – either inside or outside the hotel, so the insulation must be good. Other room facilities: Telephone Dial-up Internet access (pricey – go find an internet café if you are watching the pennies); Coffee/Tea making facilities: in these cost-cutting days, only an initial small supply is given. We always take extra tea bags when we travel, and were wise enough to find a shop in Glasgow prior to our booking in where we bought a litre of milk (stored in a sink full of cold water overnight because there are no refrigeration facilities in the rooms) Storage: An adequately sized open-wardrobe with enough hangers for the two of us – although, had we been spending a few nights there, we’d have had to resort to leaving most of our stuff in our suitcases. Drawers at the side of the wardrobe unit we adequate for shirts and underwear. Vanity: Good-sized dressing-table area – although cluttered with menus, ‘What to do in Glasgow’ and TV. Guides etc. Lighting was a little dull for the dressing-table area. Hairdryer provided TV: Cable/Satellite TV. Provided. Sleeping arrangements: Comfy bed (have never come across an uncomfortable hotel bed yet!). Could have done with another couple of pillows. No doubt would have been able to get some if we’d asked, but we only really discovered we needed more pillows once we’d settled down for the night and as we were on the fourth floor, we decided not to bother. Advice: Check the bedding out before you get ready for bed – nobody wants to go down to reception in their pyjamas. No doubt we could have rung room service – but we ain't at the Rockefellers. Bathroom: The bathroom was very attractive but with bathtub and shower. There was a swish-looking vanity unit with sink and mirror. The toilet was a separate room – very cramped! You wouldn’t need to be on the large side or you’d find it quite claustrophobic. Restaurant: Because we booked in on the bed and breakfast tariff (internet search provided a good deal of £80 for two of us), we sampled the restaurant at breakfast time and were pleasantly surprised with the cooked breakfast (husband) and continental fayre for myself. A buffet area groaned with cereals, fruit, fruit juices and breads plus a couple of large toasters. The Sunday papers were handily provided in the dining area. If we hadn’t had a five-hour drive home ahead of us, we could quite happily have spent longer over breakfast – plus the car was still sitting outside in the restricted parking zone. To sum up: The Novotel is ideally placed for those just passing through (Central railway station is 3 kilometres away and the airport is 12 kilometres away). If you are driving, be advised to phone reception first to check on parking facilities/availability. If it is a particularly busy time of year you might have a big problem, particularly if you are disabled in any way and cannot walk too far. Best option would be to park in a secure parking area and take a taxi to the hotel’s door. Although we only sampled the restaurant, the hotel also offers sauna and fitness equipment (the rather sumptuous fitness suite was glimpsed at the reception area); bar/lounge; business services with fax machine; Safe-deposit box at front desk (the desk is manned 24 hours); porter/bellhop; express check-out; currency exchange available; laundry service; wheelchair accessible. All in all an excellent choice, good value and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the Novotel in Glasgow."

• Travel date: 11th July 2007