Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens

Good
Good

Still a home from home

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"I have stayed at this hotel number of times in the past and although the quirky uniqueness has been lost a little following its tie in to the Hotel Du Vin chain it is still a lovely comfortable home from home. The room service menu has been pared down from its past glories, but the chef was happy to prepare me something from the a la carte menu to serve in my room and the staff are professional, Scottish and the welcome is as warm as ever it was. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Glasgow."

• Travel date: 24th May 2007

More than good enough, comfortable and welcoming

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"I was impressed with my night in this hotel. I arrived alone, with my partner in hospital. I’d found it via late rooms on the internet and had called to see if I could get a good price directly as a last minute booking. They obliged. I don’t like staying in hotels alone, so the fact that I enjoyed it so much is surprising and a credit to the quality of the hotel and surroundings (despite the scaffolding). My room, on about the second floor, was drop dead gorgeous. The oversized bed with fluffy white duvet almost moved me to tears, I was so tired. I did try out the golf putting set and read the magazines, I’m honestly not that shallow, normally. I didn’t eat there, I just had a quiet glass of wine in the bar. I always feel a bit conspicuous alone but they couldn’t have been kinder. The breakfast in bed was as much as I wanted. I see that in the old days there was more choice but I don’t really eat large breakfasts. All in all, it was more than good enough and I hope to return."

• Travel date: 10th April 2007

fantastic stay

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"arrived feeling anxious having read the recent reviews and thinking we'd made a terrible mistake for our precious weekend without children, but it couldn't have been better. the hotel was lovely, despite the scaffolding, the staff extremely helpful and attentive and our room very comfortable. we loved all the bath goodies, fresh fairtrade coffee and scrumptious bed linen. breakfast was delicious - good choice - and there was really nothing disappointing about our stay. get yourselves there!"

• Travel date: 21st February 2007

Old and not for business travelors

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"The entire outside of the hotel is covered by scaffolding and the ceiling in the reception area had spring a leak just as we were arriving. It may be a great romantic hideaway but I was here on business and had a difficult time seeing in the dark room. There was hammering and drilling going on all afternoon, I was disappointed after paying nearly $330 for a Monday night. It seems like I was staying in my greatgrandmothers house- like a bed and breakfast- not really what I need for a business trip. My colleage had to stand in one corner of his room to try to pick up the wireless access- at least that was free!"

• Travel date: 5th February 2007

Standards Slipping

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"In recent years I have been fortunate to enjoy a number of weekends at One Devonshire and was again looking forward to a return trip to brighten up a quiet January. The new owner’s investment in a return to a more traditional bar and restaurant in keeping with the ambience and tradition of the hotel was very welcome however the surprise reduction in the level of service and mixed quality of food was not so welcome. Whilst some staff can only be regarded as exceptional this was far from consistent and as a result what sticks in the memory is the negative not the positive. Dinner in the Bistro was a little disappointing by what can only be described as sloppy service. We couldn’t work out if it was the kitchen getting it wrong and the waiting staff handling their mistakes or the other way around. Food on the whole was enjoyable. This unfortunately can’t be said for breakfast the following morning which by any standard, 5 star hotel or not, was below average – both food and service. The quality of food ordered from room service was also in our opinion poor. It would be such a shame if the new owners did not manage to maintain this hotels enviable reputation."

• Travel date: 21st January 2007

Totally amazing place

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"We chose One Devonshire Gardens for our 1st year wedding anniversary on the basis of an amazing write up in the Mr and Mrs Smith book. I have to confess that after reading some of the reviews on this website I then felt a little nervous that maybe we had missed the boat on this hotel but our actual experience of the stay more than lived up to what we had hoped for. Arriving at the hotel we were greeted by the most cheery fellow who offered us a drink and checked us in with absolutely no problems at all. We had actually been upgraded in our room (probably due to the fact it was reasonably quiet) and the resulting room was lovely with an amazing bathroom. We had dinner at the Bistro on the first evening and found the food fabulous. The portions were a little small but the food was so rich that you didn't need any more. We then retired to their whisky room and sampled a fair number of the 300 on offer. Breakfast the next morning was very tasty, we had none of the problems reported, having said that had it not been included in our room rate we probably would have headed to a cafe as it was quite pricey. On the next morning we then had breakfast brought to us in our room which was a lovely touch and really added to the decadent feel of the weekend. I must confess that it was lucky we had woken up already as otherwise it might have been more embarassing! The location of the hotel was lovely and quiet, a little (5-10) min stroll takes you to the West End which has lovely bars, shops and restaurants and a metro station to get into the city centre. We did cheat on our last day and get a taxi back (the Glasgow weather was more than a little damp) but that was ~ £7 so not unreasonable compared to the metro, especially if there are a few of you. All in all we had a fabulous weekend at this hotel, even if some of the other reviews are correct and it is not what it was in the past it is still a lovely place to stay. My last comment is reserved for the magnificent stained glass windows on each landing - beautiful!"

• Travel date: 8th January 2007

Slipping

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"Like the review below, we too have been visiting for a number of years at Christmas to celebrate an anniversary. This was also our first stay under the new management (it was taken over in Aug/Sep of this year). You know immediately that it's been taken over as the first thing that greets you as you enter the main door is a stand full of advertising literature for the Malmaison hotel chain which they must also own. It's a bizarre place to be advertising another hotel chain and it definitely removes that feeling of uniqueness. We were a bit disappointed by our room which as others have pointed out is full of fading and tatty decor. The hotel computer system has also changed, so they have no idea if you are a first time guest or a returning guest. It used to be a nice touch to receive a welcome letter from the manager welcoming you back. There is still fresh fruit and bottled water in your room for your arrival . It does not seem to be a particularly clever room allocation system either as 15 minutes after we had got into our room, the door was unlocked from the outside and a staff member tried to show another couple into our room. The hotel is also a bit of a mish-mash of branding with Hotel Du Vin branded bits and pieces sitting alongside the original One Devonshire Gardens branding. That will probably change when they complete their takeover. We had room service at night and it was really quite good, although they got some of the order wrong. We couldn't be bothered pointing it out and waiting for it to be changed, so ate it. It was really quite good and decent value too. Finally, the breakfast on the Sunday morning was just a shambles. Staff were generally pretty clueless and not very efficient. We sat down and were ignored for 10 minutes. Then another couple arrived and were immediately sat down and given menus. I asked for menus and was told that we could help ourself to the cereals and fruits, but if we wanted a cooked breakfast, "it will be at least a 25 minute wait". Our toast then arrived half an hour before our breakfast while at the table next to us, their toast arrived half an hour after their breakfast. They forgot another table's coffee, another table had no cutlery and ours had no jam/marmalade or salt and pepper. There was a procession of people approaching staff and asking for things that had been forgotten. Our breakfast arrived ages after people who came in 20 minutes after us and our breakfast came before other people who had been in before us! I asked for 2 eggs and got one etc etc. The staff knew it was going wrong as there was much rolling of eyes and plates of food which were about to be delivered to one table being snatched away and delivered to another table. I am not a service freak - I'm always really forgiving of mistakes etc. as these things happen, but the breakfast was just a joke. Unfortunately, it was an expensive one. At £250 a night, this would have been poor at half the price. I really have always seen these stays as real treats, but I was so disappointed with this visit that I can't see us going back."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2007

Not what it used to be....

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"I have stayed at this hotel every year for 5 years and this time was the first under the new ownership While it is clear that they are spending money on capital improvements they seem to be wiping out what made the place special. Starting with the name which is being replaced by the new "Hotel Du Vin" moniker. Bascially this is till a very good hotel but all the personal touches and the special feel is slipping away. Room service breakfast is a good example. Previously there was a long menu and everything was fantastic. now is very short and you cant get anything cooked (contintental style only). The service is good but feels much less expert than it used to be. All told, still a nice place (perhaps still the best in Glasgow), but not what it used to be and feels like it is slipping further down to meet the Hotel Du Vins lower standards. Will most likely not stay here again"

• Travel date: 29th December 2006

Exceptional

Reviewed 15th October 2012

"A truly exceptional hotel, five star in every way, especially the service. Extremely elegant, romantic and atmospheric. It can't be recommended highly enough."

• Travel date: 26th June 2006