Holiday Inn Express Glasgow City Centre Riverside

Good

OK, but I wouldn't go again

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"Pros: This Hotel is located within easy access of the train station, buses galore, and the shopping. Front staff was courteous and helpful, and we were able to have the included breakfast at 5:00 a.m. before we left for the airport. Rooms were clean and of good size, and the air-conditioning worked. Excellent breakfast included with room. cons: We booked a triple room, which included a double bed and pull-out couch. The bed was great; very comfortable. The pull-out was broken and bent out of shape, with a bar sticking out across it. The foot of it was a good 6 inches higher than the head. When I called down and told them, I was greeted with snide comments about the housekeeping staff not making up a bed thats broken and I must be mistaken, and that my travel agent knew what I was getting. When I insisted it wasn't sleepable, she said she'd come and look. About an hour later, a friendly member of the housekeeping staff came to move us. She said the broken bed was reported that morning. The pull-out in the new room was only slightly better, but my teenager could sleep on it with her head at the back of the bed instead of the front. The pay phone didn't work, conveniently, since we had to use the room phone at a cost of 40 p for 20sec. Other cons: The riverside view is nothing worth seeing. It's rather seedy and dirty looking and we didn't feel safe walking there. I wouldn't walk in the neighborhood at night for sure. Overall, Clean, generally friendly and helpful, but not for families"

• Travel date: 30th June 2008

Will look elsewhere next time

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"We, 2 adults & 2 kids, stayed in one room for a couple of nights. At £59 for the room it was relatively cheap, and included a very basic breakfast such as cereals, toast and instant machine coffee, which was OK for the kids, but not great for us adults. We ended up searching for a coffee shop nearby!!! The room was small, the kids had to use a pull-out sofa-bed, and simply furnished. It was a bit tired, with dirty net curtains but otherwise relatively clean. There were a few basic problems (yes, we had the broken toilet roll holder too!!!) but it was the first Holiday Inn Express I have stayed at and thought it was better than most Travelodges I have stayed in. Although it was near to the river, the centre and all the main transport links, it was in a run-down area of town: we saw a junkie "shooting up" in broad daylight opposite the hotel. The first time I have ever seen this in the UK, and not something I wanted to have to explain to the kids over breakfast! Needless to say we will not be staying here again, and will pay a little extra to get a less run-down location, a better breakfast, and a bigger room."

• Travel date: 30th May 2008

loved the cleanliness

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We spent one night in this hotel and we were not dissapointed apart from one or two things that need to be seen to. The air conditioner was only blowing out cold air and the toilet roll holder was broken which spoils the otherwise very clean and functional room. The bed was very confortable and the shower was great. Plenty of towels and extra pillows. Breakfast was basic but sufficient, for £59 we were not expecting anything better. Staff were very friendly and helpful, cannot fault anyone. All in all, an excellent hotel and would certainly stay there again."

• Travel date: 11th January 2008

Value for money, good location. Attentive staff

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Have stayed here twice in 2007 and will certainly be going back. Ideal location for the centre of Glasgow. Good views of the river. Car park close by at discounted rate. Large selection of items at buffet breakfast - toast, croissants, several cereals, juice, tea/coffee, fruit, cheese, jams, marmalade, yougurt and rolls. Excellent staff. Extremely helpful when my daughter was car-sick. Very helpful regarding whats-on etc. All very polite and attentive. Excellent value. 15 miute walk from bus station if you travel into the city on the airport bus. Room basic but functional. Shower gel, tissues etc supplied."

• Travel date: 8th January 2008

Would not be back.

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"This a a very tired and basic hotel. The room was cold as the aircon heater was useless. The bed was awful. Saggy in the middle and the duvet did not cover the small double bed. Room smelt musty. On the plus my son had a great double sized pull out bed, probably better than mine. "Continental Breakfast" was an embarrasement. No one seemed impressed. A couple of basic cereals, floppy, cheap toast, horrible croissants, no jam, only marmalade. A bowl of old oranges and brusied apples. Strawberry yogurt. Tea and coffee and juice. What an effort. Oh, I forgot - Dirty plates (old crumbs stuck to them). I spotted that the walk in of the street rate was £110 per night. This is crazy. Who would pay that?"

• Travel date: 5th January 2008

good value

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Good value. Budget hotel. I had room and breakfast . Room decor good, well maintained, clean. Breakfast good choice. Friendly, helpful staff,Great location easy waking into city centre, railway station etc. Hop on Hop off tour bus stop right outside."

• Travel date: 28th December 2007

Not one of their best

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"I've stayed in several Holiday Inn Express hotels, and found this one rather below the standard I'd come to expect. The location is very good for accessing Argyle Street, the Merchant City and the Buchanan Street shops on foot. The downside is that regeneration of the southern end of Stockwell street, where the hotel is located, is someway from being complete. There are a couple of down-at-heel looking bars in close vicinity of the hotel, and the King Street car park, which guests can use at a discounted rate, is not the most secure, being of the 'Pay and Display' type. As it turned out, our car was untouched during our stay, but I'm not sure I'd risk it again. The public areas of the hotel are in need of sprucing up - paintwork is scuffed and discoloured in places, and the corridor on our floor had not been hoovered by 4 p.m. Our room itself was of a reasonable size, and quite comfortable. However there were a few things wrong - the toilet roll holder in the bathroom was broken, the toilet seat was loose, a component was missing from the shower control mechanism (it still worked OK, it just didn't look good), and one of the pillow cases laid out was stained and clearly shouldn't have been in use. All these were promptly corrected by the management, but that they were there at all was rather disappointing. The room also suffered from noise from the busy street and bars, especially on Sunday evening. However the room facilities were as expected, and the breakfast did not disappoint. Overall, reasonable, but I don't think I'll be using this hotel again."

• Travel date: 18th December 2007

Nice Hotel

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"Stayed at the Express in Glasgow for the weekend and found the hotel to be very professional at checkin everything went smooth and within 5 minutes of arriving at the hotel we were in our room. The room itself is just a typical express room but everything was in good order the bed was nice and comfy TV had a few extra channels including radio ones and the room decor was decent. The shower wasn't great but was enough to get me washed and it was warm enough to do the job also i didn't think much of the breakfast the only thing warm was toast which I didn;t think much off. Also the hotel was a good 10 minute walk from the city centre I know this isn't much but there is another Express in Theatreland which is bang in the centre. The reception staff and bar staff at this hotel were excellent and could not be faulted. I would stay here again for £80 for 2 for the weekend I cant really complain about anything!!!"

• Travel date: 6th November 2007

Good Value for Money Hotel

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Stayed here on business for 2 nights. The rooms was large with Air Con! Very Clean too! I had a lovely view of the river and was very happy with my choice! The staff were attentive and friendly The breakfast provided a good self service choice The location is very good too, close to a wide range of shops and minutes away from the train station. I have never stayed at this hotel before choosing instead the theatreland Hol In Exp, but now this will be the one I book, in fact I'm there again next week!"

• Travel date: 21st September 2007

Extremely well located, literally 10 min...

Reviewed 31st May 2005

"Extremely well located, literally 10 minutes walk into the centre of Glasgow. As for the hotel, we were there for a wedding, and had a great time, we stayed the Friday and Saturday night, and were made welcome at all times. The room was fairly small, and we didn’t have a mini bar, although there was a price list in the room (Room 901). It is an ideal venue for a wedding and the reception and the meal was excellent, as was the evening entertainment and food."

• Travel date: 31st May 2005