About The Rutland Hotel

• hair dryer
  • seating area
  • baggage storage
  • breakfast in the room
  • express check in check out
  • fax photocopying
  • newspaper
  • kitchenware
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • complimentary toiletries
  • laptop safe
  • dishwasher

Good
Good

Wonderful Hotel!! Cannot reccomend it highly enough!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We recently stayed at the Rutland for three night as part of our honeymoon. The hotel is wonderful the staff are superb and the cocktails are fantastic! ideal location right on Princes street adn with great views of the castle. the room and styling are faultless. Cannot rccomend highly enough!!"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of February 2009

Royal Rutland

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"The wonderfull Rutland Hotel a was very tired a few years ago, has been brought back too superb standards. Check in is seemless, the room is nothing short of superb, up to date with state of the art everything.
A full scottish breakfast is served every morning, although the breakfast chef left the bacon out out one morning,a very minor point .
To sum up central superbly appointed great value for money, although you can run up an outstanding bar tab!!a well managed Hotel with great service with a great Location, and superb food .Having stayed in the good GLASSHOUSE hotel is in not the same league."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of February 2009

Great Hotel - Consider it against the rest !

Reviewed Fri 8th of February 2013

"We stayed for the weekend, and could not have been more impressed with the overall experience. This includes the hotel, the decor, the staff, and the location. Right underneath the castle, and close to the best shops in town.

From the outside, the hotel can tend to look a little understated, but once inside, you get a true feel for the place. The welcome could not have been warmer, and we were made to feel as though we were residents, not just guests. The staff were clearly out to make sure that their guests were looked after, and if that is the hotel's usual standard, then full marks. I think the lady called Nicola (reception) could possibly be the most professional front desk person we have ever met.

Breakfast superb. The bar is really smart. All in all, if you want something out of the 'chain hotel' principle, and you want to feel like you are part of a small exclusive members club, then book in here.

Thanks to all at the Rutland for a great weekend"

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of February 2009

Great Decor, Bad Service

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"When we arrived, we were greeted very enthusiastically and shown to our wonderful room on the 2nd floor. The room itself was immaculate and very spacious.

We did have a few negative points to make:

1. The sound system in the room was not working and we had to settle for using the clock radio next to the bed; this was only an issue because the hotel boasts about having a great sound system in both the room and bathroom. While checking in to the hotel, another guest phoned reception and reported problems with their system.(We didn't bring this issue to the hotels attention as it wasn't something we were that fussed to use)

2. We had arranged dinner in the restaurant on the first evening. The restaurant ambiance was very nice and our waiter was extremely polite and helpful, but one of our main courses was not available and when we decided to order two steaks, they took nearly an HOUR to arrive! We received an apology for this but no explanation as to why. If the end result had been truely top class then we may not have been so disappointed, but as it turned out, the food was passable. Our waiter then seemed to disappear for some time and we were not asked whether we would like to see the dessert menu. In the end, we ordered a couple more drinks and called it a night.

3. 0n our final morning, we had ordered the continental breakfast to arrive at our room at 08.00. This was so we could leave early and make the most of our last day in Edinburgh. At 08.15 I called reception to ask where our breakfast was, I was told they were very sorry and that they would send it up straight away. Fifteen minutes later it arrived. The food was fine but we were rushing to eat it and get going. In-room breakfast half an hour late is just not on; it's not like they had hundreds of guest to cater for. Maybe they had the same chef on as the night before? Maybe they didn't have a chef?

4. The final issue arose when we tried to check out. When I was told the final figure for our two night stay it seemed to be a lot cheaper than I thought it would be, so I queried this with the receptionist. It turned out that we hadn't had our dinner bill added to our room, it had been added to another guests room! The receptionist didn't seem too concerned by this and ammended the bill. However this time she added an extra night to our stay, pushing the bill up by £125. I pointed this out to her and also reminded her that we had two late breakfasts. She seemed happy to pop those on the bill and finally we had the right amount.

It was such a shame that we had these issues and maybe it was just a bad week. We really liked the general feel of the hotel. The idea of having such a chic room, restaurant and club all under one roof is great and the location couldn't be bettered. But we have been left with a sour taste after what can only be described as poor customer service; you can have a bad meal anywhere, but the breakfast and check-out palaver went too far. Unfortunately, when we visit Edinburgh again, the Rutland won't be at the top of our list."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of November 2008

great room and staff

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We booked a room in another hotel, that had but overbooked and moved us to the Rutland. We got the executive room, really large and confortable. The mattress was wonderful, the room clean and the shower room large and OK. Complimentary Muffin included. The only cons is the fact that no slippers were there, but it's just a small thing of course! And the hall is a bit too baroque, but OK, tastes differ... last month the website wasn't ready but we have now seen that it exists, with pictures and rooms availability, which is OK! On top of all, the location is simply wonderful, IN the center."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of October 2008

Make sure the lift is working before you stay!

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"We booked this hotel because Highland Experience tours cancelled our 5 day Highlands and Islands Experience tour the day before we were due to leave.
We needed two nights emergency accommodation fast.
The Rutland is in a very convenient location plus the rate was OK for Edinburgh.
The two things wrong with hotel were:
1. The lift did not work at all for the entire we were there and we were on the third floor and there were just so many stairs to climb.
2. The vinyl bedhead seem to put off vapours which made my eyes water and gave me a headache.
The hotel is newly decorated and has some really nice features. I would not stay there again unless the lift was operational."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of October 2008

Loved it!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Gorgeous hotel with lots of lovely extras (an iPod dock and GHD styler in every room, free bottled water each day, welcome muffins in the room). Good location but a bit of a hike to the Old Town. We walked it with no problems except for a couple of times coming home late at night and we were too tired - taxis were easy to find and a only cheap ride back to the hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of September 2008

Amazing

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"This is one of my top few hotels that I have stayed in. The rooms are very cool, very boutique. We ate in the restaurant and had I had one of the best steaks I have ever eaten with a stunning bottle of wine and you absolutely have to have a dessert. wow! Late on we went down to there 'late lounge' which is a place like no other place I have been to, how cool and how inovative with an amazing 'I-bar' and really swish booths. The service throughout our 3 day stay was tremendous. Well done The Rutland. I can't wait til next year to come back."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of September 2008

Pleasantly Surprised

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Having stayed for 2 nights in a castle view room during the festival, we can thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff were helpful and polite while the room had everything we required and an amazing view! I did not realise when booking that it had a restaurant aswell where we had a fantastic meal on our first night in town. We will be back soon."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of August 2008

Don't be put off by old reviews - this hotel is fabulous!

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"I booked this hotel initially as it was one of the few that had last minute availability when I searched online. I was initially extremely nervous when, after having booked, I came across really awful reviews. However I have to say the hotel was simply fabulous. Newly refurbished with a really cool and quirky boutique feel to it. The room was exceptionally modern and clean with every thing you could think of to hand...including great toiletries, gorgeous bath robes, straighteners and a decent hairdryer. The food was top notch, the service first rate and I would think twice before booking anywhere else in Edinburgh in future."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of August 2008