Suite

Good Hotel Location A Bit Dodgy

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I have stayed at this hotel before but have not rated it before now as I was not a member then. I have also stayed at the ibis Edinburgh owned by the same french chain (Accor). The hotel itself is great the rooms are clean and fresh, well equipped and presented. The facilities are as I expect for a hotel in this price range and I was not unhappy. The location however may be ok for, business people on a short stay or people like myself from Glasgow who know the location but I would hesitate to suggest it for tourists and especially families. You are not far from the dodgy bars of the west port area and ok there are some nice bars and restaurants in the grass market and lothian road there are also some very dodgy ones and also some clubs frequented by drunk youngsters not very far away. love the hotel but would just like to get a massive crane and move it a few miles."

• Travel date: 10th February 2007

A great city break

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"I stayed at the Novotel with my partner on our first trip away together. The hotel was just the right distance away from the city centre, however it was quite hard from the directions provided to us to actually find the hotel initially. Our room was clean and tidy, the only real critiscm being that the bed was to close to the bathroom door, making it impossible to close (an eye opening experience for our 1st break away!!) The staff were incredibly helpful, we missed breakfast one morning but they were willing to rustle up something even though they were busy clearing up from the morning rush. Having stayed with Novotel on the continent I knew that the standard was high and this certainly met my expectations."

• Travel date: 6th January 2007

A very decent venue

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Very good if not spectacular. Large beds and modern rooms, generally comfortable, clean and stylish. The blackout curtains are great for a lie-in - even if the trollies make a bit of noise in the corridors. It is located just outside the city centre, but still within easy walking distance of the sights."

• Travel date: 10th December 2006

Enjoyed the stay.

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"The Novotel is in a good location 5 mins walk from the castle and 10 to all the shops and main nightlife. The decor is modern and the staff are very friendly and helpfull. The only thing bad about the hotel was the picture in our room, The artist who drew the picture must of been a pedophile it was disgusting. It was a young girl sitting naked next to a young boy with a jockeys whip in his hand. Very strange taste! The hotel was clean and had a small pool area and a gym. I would recomed this hotel to anyone. Although it was up a bank. So people with walking difficulties would have to get a taxi. The breakfeast was very nice. I have stopped in some of the top hotels in Britain and in my opinion this was the most enjoyable. The Australian rugby team were stopping in the hotel when we were there so it must be good."

• Travel date: 28th November 2006

You'll not get much better...

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"I booked this at the last minute on a Saturday night for £109. I could not have been happier with this hotel. Location is spot on for city centre shopping and attractions. Car park on site (although limited spaces). Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was spacious, quite funky, very comfortable and well equipped. there is a nice but small gym and pool. We didn't make breakfast but I can recommend the all day fry up at Bar Alba on the Grassmarket - only 200 metres away. I've stayed in most of Edinburgh's 4 and 5 star hotels and this is as good as any and better than most. I'll be staying here again."

• Travel date: 19th October 2006

big rooms nice place

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"This was the hotel that I booked based on previous Tripadvisor reviews - the reviews seemed to compare well with some of the others that were also mentioned in Edinburgh. It is a modern hotel and one of the main advantages was that it is close to the pubs and restaurant area near the Grassmarket but not 'too close'. It is within easy walking distance of most attractions - including beer, shopping, history and eating. The rooms were indeed clean and spacious and we were very pleased to find that there was what appeared to be two three-quarter sized beds ( very comfy) in our twin room. We decided to avoid the quite expensive £12 breakfast in the hotel but there are plenty of nice places just down the road. Edinburgh was a great place to visit and this hotel was a nice base to see it from. The price on the wall of the foyer (£169 per night with no breakfast) was too much but we managed to get it for less and it was well worth the money."

• Travel date: 3rd October 2006

How I rate 'Novotel Hotel' Edinburgh

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"We stayed in the Novotel Hotel in Edinburgh for 1 night Sat 23rd Sept. I have no bad things to say about the Novotel I found the staff friendly, the room was clean and had everything I needed - which when I book the hotel, there was no mention of Iron and Ironing board / mini bar / and hairdryer in the bedroom the hairdryer is really powerful. In our bedroom the toilet was separate to the bathroom, which I think is a really good idea. There is an indoor pool and towels are provided for that there is also a Jacuzzi /steamroom/sauna oh plus a little gym. The location for me was great we were just down the road from where my brother lives the hotel is only a few minutes walk from the university and five ish minutes from the Greyfriars Bobby grave yard. The bad point I can mention is the parking arrangements the hotel advertises that there is parking, which there is but it is only limited spaces and when they are full they have a over spill car park which is about a 10 minute walk and is very pricey to park there we had to use the over spill car park and where parked there over night and it cost £12.80 and that was from T-time on the Sat night until the Sun morning but the hotel is great oh and plenty of choice for breakfast that was good too and breakfast on a sun morning is served from 7am till 12 noon which is great if you have had a lately the night before."

• Travel date: 24th September 2006

Adequate

Reviewed 9th October 2012

"This hotel is clean and well-equipped, with nothing particular to commend it except for an excellent shower pressure! The location is just okay, but if walking or climbing hills is difficult for you, try to get a more centrally located hotel, nearer the sites. Also, check your bill when you leave. The restaurant was billing me for two breakfasts every day even though I was alone. And the newspaper at your door is not free...you pay for it when you leave."

• Travel date: 11th September 2006

Probaly not the best value

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"While the location OK, ie. easy to walk to most places you'd want to see in Edinburgh, my overall feeling was that the hotel is overpriced. While our rate did include breakfast, the breakfast was average and always very crowded with a lot of the food and drink running out right when we got there. The beds were not great by any means and the room are not all that soundproof. They are also small and hard to maneuver around with any luggage. The staff were friendly. We never ate in the main restaurant but we did eat in the bar and the food we had was good and you can get it in three different serving sizes. Also, some decent restaurants within very easy walking distance."

• Travel date: 9th August 2006

So So

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"Our room was generously large and light, but furnished as if it were tiny, and clearly not designed for more than an overnight stay.There are no drawers; the miniscule hanging space is blocked by a cabinet. The shower, bath, and sink area is separated from the room not by a door but only by a partition, so that using the former disturbs anyone sleeping in the room. The staff was uniformly friendly. At GBP 140 a night it is way overpriced."

• Travel date: 17th July 2006

The Edinburgh Novotel is in a wonderful ...

Reviewed 17th January 2006

"The Edinburgh Novotel is in a wonderful location about 5 minutes walk from the Grassmarket and Lothian Road and about 10 minutes walk from the Castle (up some very steep steps though!). The lobby is bright and welcoming, with a Playstation in the corner for the kids. Check in was quick and efficient. I was booked into an executive room on the 3rd floor. As was expected the large modern room was exceptionally clean. The room consisted of a queen sized bed, a sofa, large television, minibar, trouser press and a safe. There was also an internet connection available. The toilet was separate from the bathroom which was a bit strange as there was no sink in he toilet. The bathroom consisted of a large sink, bath and excellent shower. The bar in the hotel didn't seem to have much atmosphere and we didn't eat in the restaurant for either breakfast or dinner. Breakfast seemed expensive at £12. All in all a good place to stay for business or pleasure."

• Travel date: 17th January 2006