Number Ten out of Ten!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Fantastic place. We would recommend it without hesitation. Beautiful and tasteful decor. Massive in-room TVs, with frankly ueber funky bathrooms

Could not have been better treated during the course of our stay. Nothing was too much trouble.

TBH I had some reservations having read one or two of the other reviews, but having visited, I cannot see why there would be any problems. Our room was a standard double (the smallest) on the top floor of the hotel, the jacuzzi suites unfortunately being unavailable. Sumptuous and decidedly different.

If you want plain Jane identikit I'd recommend Marriott /hilton etc. For seasoned, perhaps more discerning travellers, this is a shot in the arm. Commendable."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of January 2008

This was advertised as a 5 star hotel. W...

Reviewed Sun 13th of January 2008

"This was advertised as a 5 star hotel. When we arrived we found out that it is actually part of the Christopher North Hotel which the Scottish tourist board say is only a 3 star hotel. We feel very cheated.

The room was tiny, about the size of a cupboard with the smallest shower room I’ve ever seen. You have to leave the building and walk down the street to get to the bar and have breakfast, which in the rain is no fun. The rooms have no mini bars, no slippers or bathrobes all of which you expect from a 5 star hotel. There is not even room service with the only food they serve being breakfast, not that you would have been able to eat a meal in our room as it was so small.

The only good thing is the staff who I feel sorry for having to pass this place off as 5 star. Please avoid at all costs, there are better and cheaper places to stay in Edinburgh.

• Travel date: Sun 13th of January 2008

not 5 star

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"i stayed in this so called 5 star hotel in november and was very dissapointed. it turned out to be a part of the christopher north house hotel which is where all the public areas are and where you have to go for breakfast. The bed rooms are so tiny and the swimming pool and leisure club were no where to be seen, there are no mini bars and the bathroom was the size of a postage stamp. on the plus side the staff can not do enough for you and were very friendly. I was so dissapointed i contacted the local tourist board and was told that there was no 5 star hotel in edinburgh with that name and that the christopher hotel it seems to be part of is only a 3 star hotel, i feel cheated and would advise anyone else who feels the same to contact the tourist board as well."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of January 2008

It was alright!

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"I treat mr husband to a weekend at the Numberten hotel for his birthday. At first we were taken to a room, which was in a seperate building (1007) this room was tiny and although there was a seperate seating area, if the wall had been knocked down, it would have been a lot bigger and therefore nicer, I was told that there would be a bath in our room and there was not much of a shower, nevermind a bath. I was also told that the views would be stunning and we ended up looking out onto a brick wall!! I booked the romantic break, which includes a free bottle of champagne and hand made belgium truffles, we got a bottle of champagne, which I have never heard of and the truffles turned out to be celebrations!!

I complained about the room and they checked for a different room, they found us another room, which was the Wilson Suite, this room was a lot better and the bathroom was lovely, although when we used the shower it leaked all over the bathroom floor, and the decor was not as described in the hotel rooms.

The breakfast however, was fantastic! We got the full scottish breakfast and we couldn't find a fault at all with this! The staff were very helpful and friendly.

The situation of the hotel was brilliant, it was just a short walk away from George Street and there are plenty of restaurants and pubs on Rose Street, which my husband was delighted about, although we went to Grassmarket for our night out on the first night and we were very dissapointed considering this is meant to be the main night life and we are a young couple.

Overall I wouldn't stay here again and I would have rather saved my money and stayed in a different hotel, which would have been cheaper too."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of December 2007

Lovely Hotel, Beautiful Bathrooms

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Have just arrived home from a three night stay at Number Ten.

Living only four hours further North in Scotland, our main purpose of the trip was to have a wee break and to catch up with some old friends
who had moved to Edinburgh.

The Number Ten made a comfortable retreat at the end of a busy day and slightly tipsy evening.

The bathroom was lovely and very clean, new Molton Brown hair and bath
products were supplied every day so managed to build up a small stockpile to take home! Bed was comfortable, a real double not two singles pushed together as other people have unfortunately had. Huge television with free view channels and lovely views from the equally huge window.

Breakfast was great, nothing else was needed to eat until well on into the day and it was quite nice to get a breath of fresh air before
breakfast during the 30 second stroll to two doors down the street.

The Number Ten is situated in a beautiful area but is a slight distance from all the main attractions, i.e Princes Street, the Royal Mile etc but if you don't mind a walk (we didn't take a single taxi during our stay, am feeling immensely fit after a hike up to the castle one day and then Camera Obscura the next) then this really isn't an issue, and taxis are not expensive in Edinburgh anyway.

All in all Number Ten was a comfortable, clean and elegant hotel with a super breakfast, but one which you will definately burn off by the time you have walked into the town."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of November 2007

Don't be fooled by the pictures

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"I booked a double room based on the website pictures.
The website shows everthing alot larger and more luxurious.

The double room was not much bigger than the bed, which was two beds joined together - not comfortable
Our room was situated at the very top of the building. I was out of breath by the time I reached it.

The so called luxury linen is questionable.
The tv signal kept cutting out.
The shower was awkward to use as it was situated low in a corner. The vent in the bathroom was very dirty & spilt dust onto the surfaces.

The breakfast was fine. The breakfast room & reception are located two doors away from your room entrance.

I would not stay again."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of November 2007

No premier at number 10

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My partner and I stayed at the number 10 for the Bank Holiday weekend. In terms of position it has positives and negatives. On the plus side it is very handy for Stockbridge and its wealth of trendy restaurants. We can recommend the blue parrot cantina mexican restaurant. On the downside if walking is not your thing then it is quite a trek uphill to George Street and beyond. The hotel itself is part of the Christopher North House Hotel and as such guests need to be made aware that it is to this hotel that they should check in. We were delighted with our huge and glamorous room all done out in gold and black with oriental objects d'art. The massive flat screen TV and DVD player was great fun, however the not so massive bathroom left a lot to be desired. Only one hand towel was ever placed in the bathroom and the sink was so tiny that it was no use for more than a rinse of your hands. The shower was positioned too low on the wall, anyone over about 5' 5" would need to crouch down to stand under it. also the bath filled up with water, until you found the secret switch to open the plug hole, even then as you stood in the region of the shower you stood on the plunger and closed it up again.
The large bed was two beds pushed together and the duvet was two placed in a large cover. Despite calling a staff member to look at the safe (which was key operated rather than the normal keypad version you find in hotels) they were unable to find any keys, consequently we had nowhere to keep our valuables, particularly important as we had a ground floor room. The staff did offer us the use of the hotel safe and it should be said than on any occasion that we requested help the staff did respond immediately. We found the staff unfailingly polite and pleasant.
Breakfast was served in the main hotel, which is only two doors away, although there are some choices the food was very mediocre, granary toast was offered daily and it would have been nice to have had a choice.
We had some concerns about security as the two large windows to our room were left wide open by the maid whilst we were out during the day and we felt that our belongings might have been at risk.
Overall this hotel does not justify the high prices it charges, which is a shame because so much effort has gone in to the decor with the oriental feel and it could have been an excellent experience. We would not be keen to return."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of October 2007

awful rip off!!!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"What a terrible experience. I have never stayed in such a small hotel room in my life, let alone paid this sort of extortionate price. The room was so small that there was just enough space for one person to walk round the edge of the bed. The ensuite was more of an airing cupboard, with a corner toilet, a sink so small we couldn't even fill the kettle up in it and very nice molten brown toiletries that were not replaced the next day. The coffee tray was also not refilled every day.
The room had a large (42 " ish) Plasma screen TV but there is no room for it in there so it is placed in front of the dressing table mirror making it impossible to get ready in the mornings.
I had booked this as a special treat for my husbands birthday and the website had made it look stunning, but do not be fooled it is nothing like they portray it to be. More like a very nicely decorated cupboard. There is no bath tub as shown, the room is so shockingly small that you can't sit in it for more than 5 minutes without feeling claustraphobic. (This was room 1007).
We asked to be moved to a bigger room on the first night but staff told us there was nothing available so we were stuck there. I will never be returning to the hotel and think a £20 a night B&B would have been by far a better experience.
A disgrace, don't waste your money, especially if your looking to book this for a special occassion!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of October 2007

We booked a suite at the Number 10 bouti...

Reviewed Tue 18th of September 2007

"We booked a suite at the Number 10 boutique hotel for 2 nights in February 2006 after being impressed by the images on the web site, we were left however slightly disappointed for several reasons.

When we arrived we went into what we thought was Number 10, checked in and were shown to our suite which looked nothing like the pictures we had viewed on the internet and for £200 per night was of very poor quality.

We never said anything that night as were hurrying out to eat, however when we raised the issue the following day it came to light that they had booked us in the wrong hotel - Number 10 was next door, but shared the reception with that hotel and therefore had no sign outside!!

We were swiftly moved to the correct suite, which was much more what we expected , however it did fail to live up to the images displayed on the net which obviously involved very clever camera trickery.

We were not offered any discount for the first night spent in the lower standard room, and were charged for 2 nights in Number 10!! We did write to complain with the management but very rudely on their part, never received a reply !!! A nice hotel - just make sure they put you in the correct one."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of September 2007

Auugghhhh!

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Booked a room via internet and it looked absolutely wonderful. We ended up in a closet of a room in the basement of Number 10 with no window...a door that stuck and we could only keep it open while we were awake as we didn't want to have it open for any one to get it. Very stuffy...double bed...no work desk as advertised and they were totally incapable of finding us a room as described in our email confirmation.

I am more than a little disappointed in what was promised and what was given. They seemed not really care one way or the other when I was asking for a different room in fact the person behind the front desk was giggling as he was "apologizing". No one told us how to work the television and we had to shlepp our bags to our room ourselves. A man finally came out to see if he could take one. Stuffy, TINY, and stuck in a corner of a basement is not my idea of a five star hotel and maybe other rooms are better...but as I said...what was written in my confirmation letter regarding the room was a lie. Never, never, never would stay there again."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of June 2007

Gorgeous location!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Upon arrival we were upgraded to a suite complete with jacazzi. The decor was plush and comfortable. The service was friendly and attentive, if we needed anything it was delivered promptly.

The breakfast was the best we have ever had in Scotland!

Would recommend 100%"

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

Beautiful room, excellent location, a few oddities!

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Number Ten hotel for a romantic weekend trip. We didn't actully realise that it was an appartment but was not a problem at all because the room we were given was GORGEOUS!

Our room was in the basement which may sound dark and gloomy but it actually backed onto a garden, and it had huge french windows, so it was beautifully light. The room itself was huge - that big that we needed 2 TVs! The bed was big and luxurious - and it was just the one bed, not two pushed together as described by other reviewers.

There were kitchen facilities i.e. sink, cupboards and a microwave (I think - not 100% certain on that). However, there were no kitchen utensils, plates, cutlery etc. So it wasn't really much use to us. Also, the bathroom was disappointingly small - no bath, just a shower. It was beautifully decorated - but just small!

It was a bit of an inconvenience going a couple of doors down for breakfast, and it was just good - nothing really extraordinary. And there wasn't really much of a choice for hot breakfasts which you'd expect from a 5 star establishment - it was just an English breakfast (not Scottish - no potato scone, black pudding etc). Would have liked a choice of porridge, smoked salmon + scrambled eggs, pancakes etc, more veggie options. Don't know if this has changed now but this was case during our stay.

As for the service - it was excellent, really personable and nothing was ever too much of a problem. We had dinner one night in the hotel and it was delicious, friendly but discreet service and the atmosphere was really cosy. It was a lovely evening. It's nice to stay somewhere where you get recognised and can have a friendly chat with the staff. We never felt like we were taking up too much of their time which is a common feeling in city hotels.

The location of the hotel is great - it's not exactly central with respect to the main tourist attractions like the castle, Princes Street etc but they're not too far to walk and the area is well-served by buses. The area itself is lovely - very cool and relaxed vibe, with lots of delis and boutiques and great bars. It's one of my favourite places in Edinburgh.

Have to say that reading some reviews, I thought that maybe there were 2 Number Ten hotels! The negative experiences sound terrible but it was certainly not the case with us.

In summary, the room was gorgeous, the appartment building itself was gorgeous, the staff were really friendly and helpful, the location is lovely. The only things that stop this from being a 5 star review is the small bathroom, the kitchen with no utensils and the trek to another building for breakfast."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of March 2007