Enoyed this stay

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"This is a good hotel, My wife and I stayed 3 nights, mid week, and were both very impressed by he high standard of of the hotel in general, the breakfasts were great, the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient, the room allocated to us was clean in fact it was spotless. I witnessed a member of staff in the guest area toilet, on his kness polishing the outside of the porcean bowls. I'm not given to writing reviews but I am happy to positively comment in this case. I was impressed. thanks to all the staff seen and unseen!!"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of November 2012

Wonderfull place and no noise!

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"Had a great weekend here. The hotel is handy for Princes Street....walked there in 5 or 6 minutes and also good for the train station. Could not fault the hotel - clean bedrooms, friendly staff and continental breakfast is included(help yourself). I had a lovely room at the front of the hotel and did not find it noise at all as there is a secondary window to stop the street noise so could not here the traffic light. Also handy for the Omni Complex across the road with cinema and lots of restaurants. Fantastic - paid in advance on the net and will come back again!."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of February 2006

No Complaints Whatsoever

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"This hotel rates extremely high in my book after staying in some shoddy properties in the past. The rooms are impeccably clean and efficiently laid out. Everything looks brand new. The location is very good, close to all the sites in a few minutes walk. I took the advice of some reviewers and requested a room towards the back. I had absoloutely no problems with noise, as I was insulated from the night clubs and talking traffic signal. Overall, an excellent value."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of September 2005

Not bad, not bad at all

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I stayed there for 3 nights. Breakfast is good, room is clean, and they have on demand movies. Hotel is within a short walking distance to the sights, so unless you had on uncomfortable shoes the walk was easy. The bedroom is really small, however, and there is really no closet to hang your clothes. Only a small open hanger and shelves. I also noticed the shower curtain problem that other reviewers have mentioned, but it wasn't a big deal. I bet they'll have to replace those floors sooner, though. My family and I had originally reserved one room for three people, but we decided to get two rooms at the last minute. That was a good choice because the second bed turned out to be an uncomfortably hard pull out couch. They charge one pound for calls to 1-800 number calling cards, and that can really add up. The staff seemed confused about the bill. We really had to watch them to make sure they put the right room on the right card, etc. Overall an okay stay."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of September 2005

Bring on the easy hotel

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I booked in here as they were prepared to offer me a special deal and had high speed internet access available in the room. The hotel looks newly decorated and clean..... I can't really fault that but....

Your highspeed internet access comes at a cost of £15 at night, thats about 250% more that you would pay elsewhere. Besides it really can't even be costing them £1 a night to provide the service.....

There are no cupboards in the room only shelves and a small rack to hang a suit and a few shirts..... speaking of which, make sure you bring a suit bag if you want to look presentable.... there are no irons available in the room. You have 2 choices, pay for the laundry service.... I didn't try this, not after finding out the internet access price.... or you can make a trip up to the 4th floor iron room. You do this be going via reception with your laundry in hand, and then queue for an elevator. Once there in the minature room you will find some battered old ironing boards and some abused steam irons..... no water of course, for that you need to make a trip back to your room. Don't expect miracles either, I spent 15 minutes trying to iron one shirt and it still looks like someone jumped on it. Some cheap irons from argos wouldn't go a miss.

Also this hotel is not an easy walk from Waverly station if you have baggage. You have to negotiate an uneven sidewalk and scores of people ambling there way to see the castle, taking this and the pedestrian crossings into account, allow at least ten minutes from platform to reception. Also keep some spare change to keep the tenacious vagrants at bay.

All I can say is bring on the easy hotel, at least £25 night for a box with fold out bed, is filled with spirit of childhood adventure. Not like this place, this is cheap and nasty with a fresh coat of paint."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of September 2005

A Nice Stay but Hot

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"Stayed here for 2 nights recently - the hotel was pretty good, except for all the stairs out front and in the lobby. Very difficult to navigate with big heavy suitcases! Location was excellent though, nice and close to shopping and the train station.

The rooms were a little on the small side but not too bad - pretty clean overall. The complimentary breakfast was average - not a lot to choose from but some decent pastries and juices which is all I really need in the morning anyway.

But be warned there is NO in-room air conditioning and boy does it get hot! It wasn't even very warm outside while we were there but the hallways & rooms were like a sauna.

The staff was actually very acommodating when we complained after spending a horribly uncomfortable night, and we were moved down to the ground floor (from the fourth) where it was much cooler. Be sure to ask for a room on a lower floor if you are here over the summer!"

• Travel date: Thu 28th of July 2005

Excellent Accomodation for the Price!

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Picardy Place while visiting Edinburgh. After reading the reviews online I was excited to see what the hotel actually looked like and we were not disappointed. The interior of the hotel is very nice and modern. Our room was spacious enough and we were able to request a room towards the back of the hotel, which I would recommend. The breakfast that was included was great, a mix of cereal, toast, muffins, yogurt, tea, and juice. The entire bar of the hotel is smoke-free which was enjoyed as well.

The hotel is a 15-20 minute walk to the Royal Mile, which is where the major attractions are. It is only a 10 minute walk to Princess Street where there is shopping and restaurants.

We ate at Pizza Express, which was a great pizza place near the Royal Mile. We also had reservations set up in advance for The Witchery, which is a fantastic restaurant. It was a bit expensive but well worth it!! Overall a great trip to Edinburgh."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of July 2005

Great location, nice staff, rooms of improvement for washroom

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"- Central location, cost less than 5 pounds from Waverley station to the hotel if you take a cab
- Nice staff, you can leave your luggage for a few days, say if you are heading to the highlands
- Nice standard buffet breakfast, you can't expect too much when you pay only 95 pounds per room
- Clean spotless room
- The only thing that they should look into is the washroom. We stayed there for 2 nights in 2 different rooms. For the first room, the curtain was too short - the washroom was basically flooded after shower. For the second room, there must be some problem with the drainage system, that I had to pause my shower every 1-2 minutes and wait the water to go, in order to prevent another flood again."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of July 2005

There must be a better place in Edinburgh

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"This hotel boasts a central location but in fact it slips down the hill of Leith Street into the disco area. We got a pokey room in the basement with a view up to the car park. When we asked if we could change we were advised that we were in the most sought-after part of the hotel - if we had a window onto the street we would be driven mad by the two adjacent discos which go to 3am. Indeed we could still hear these in our room. The breakfasts were fairly stereotyped and ran out of component parts such as eggs. The whole place ran on minimalist staffing, with little impression of dedication to service. As we were wrestling with our suitcases at departure time there was a lift failure (both lifts).
Edinburgh is a great city, but this is NOT its best hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of July 2005

Absolutely Great, Spotlessly Clean

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Picardy Square, Edinburgh, Scotland and it was absolutely wonderful. We used Holiday Inn points and didn't pay so we were concerned about what we would get. The hotel room was totally new, one of the best I have stayed in. The service was great and we had a free (and really good) continental breakfast each day (which is unusual in Europe). You could walk to almost everything. As a side note to golfers, St. Andrews was spectacular and well worth going to visit. Forget the ghost tours, they are a joke and not worth the money or time. Be sure to visit the castle--it was wonderful. Also, eat at the Witchery for lunch when they have the fixed price menu (otherwise it is too expensive). It was wonderful food."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of June 2005

Wonderful long weekend in Edinburgh

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"This hotel lived up to all the good reviews it has received.

Great location, everything within walking distance.

The room was spotless and really spacious, with dazzling white towels and sheets, and an incredibly comfortable bed. We followed advice to book a room at the back of the hotel, and it was very quiet at night.

Staff were helpful and friendly (happy to ring a taxi, even on a busy Saturday evening).

If you aren't leaving the city for a while after checking out, they will store your bags at no extra cost. Much better than checking them in at Waverley Station (£5 per bag!).

I was really impressed with the breakfast - wasn't expecting such a great spread."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of June 2005

Hotels near Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre

Top traveller tips for Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre

• Ray D by Ray D

"there is so much to do, we all look for different things, for me it was a 1 day coach trip with Rabbie's Trail Blazers... really good! "

Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre is also called