Exterior

• coffee tea maker
  • picnic area

Excellent Value

Reviewed 2nd January 2013

"My wife and I had a very good value for money stay at the Aston Hotel. In my error I booked a double room for single occupancy but this was quickly and efficiently resolved by the hotel staff at no additional cost. We had paid £20 per night extra for the executive room and was happy to do so. The room was of a good size with a large comfy bed and good bathroom. We ate dinner at the hotel one evening and it was of a high standard for a reasonable price. My only concern with the hotel would be the relatively small size of the breakfast / dining room. Although not a problem for us as the hotel was relatively quiet I would expect some delays should the hotel be full."

• Travel date: 22nd November 2007

Great hotel & situation for staying if you're visiting Dumfries Royal Infirmary

Reviewed 31st December 2012

"Wanted a hotel close to Dumfries Royal Infirmary. This hotel fits the bill. It only took us 5-10 mins to walk to the hospital from the hotel. We booked through Late Rooms.com and got a good price. Hotel, staff, food, rooms and fixtures and fittings were all of a high standard. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel."

• Travel date: 18th November 2007

Excellent hotel in beautiful grounds; fantastic value.

Reviewed 29th December 2012

"I am giving this hotel 5 stars for the overall experience, because it far exceeded expectations, and whilst I've stayed in many supposedly 5* hotels, I've paid considerably more than £99 DBB for 3 nights! Based on what we paid, and on what we were expecting, we couldn't have been happier and would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel. I was expecting a basic, coach party type hotel, but for a last minute family get away, that would have been perfectly fine. But in reality, The Aston was way above that. The reception was welcoming and helpful, the rooms were excellent and the bathrooms beautifully fitted. There was an extensive menu choice for evening meals and without exception all our food was high quality, well presented and delicious. The building itself is split into the main hall, which is lovely, and the new hotel wing which in fairness is an absolute eyesore from the outside! But the grounds are wonderful and for Autumn walks the colours were breathtaking. There is a lovely small chapel in the grounds which the organist kindly showed us round, before giving us an impromptu organ recital! The hotel is ideally located for access to Dumfries and nearby towns, and we enjoyed some lovely drives and walks. A lovely relaxing break, in a great hotel at fantastic rates: definitely worth 5 stars!"

• Travel date: 13th November 2007

Not Top Class - but Ok - does what it says on the brochure...

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"The Aston.... Some people on here rave about this hotel, personally I cannot understand why. My theory is that it is all about expectation.. This is not a top class hotel - nor will it ever be. If you give this hotel 5 stars what do you give a really good top class hotel. The Aston is a reasonable hotel by the standards of Travel Lodge, Travel Inns, Holiday Inn Express & the like. It is clean, comfortable enough and in a quiet location, so it ticks most boxes. But this is still only an average hotel with no personality or anything unique to offer. The restaurant is average. The evening meal is worth the £17:50p that it costs. That does not include a bottle of water or coffee afterwards - but it is still Ok for value. Service generally was a bit iffy... Particularly long wait to check in about 10 mins! Restaurant service no better than average. Very few people in the restaurant spoke good English...or Scottish! Receptionist forgot to order my morning paper. But as I say it was all reasonable as long as you were expecting an alternative to a Travel Inn."

• Travel date: 17th September 2007

A special place

Reviewed 1st January 2013

"Had a well needed break for 3 nights mon-thu at the end of august. As others have said - peaceful location, spacious room - furnished to a high standard, great shower, attentive staff (but not intrusive), 'tasty' food ... My mum said there was something special about the hotel and grounds and I agree. (they had visited the weekend before). The quality of the food was excellent and the £17.50 daily meal allowance worked out fine. There was plenty for breakfast and the hot food was again of great quality. The hotel is an ideal place to visit places without travelling very far. We went to Kirkcudbright and saw the house, studio and garden of the Scottish painter Hornel. National Trust - entry £8 but we are members. It was worth it. Went to Sweetheart Abbey - apart from the places of interest - go to the tea-room at the Abbey - the galloway chutney is to die for(poachers pickle). Spent time on the beach at Sandyhills (there is a cafe there) before going to Shambellie House. Please go to this - even my husband enjoyed it. There is a voucher in the Dumfries & Galloway Magazine 2x1 but it is only £3. This is a costume museum in a lovely old house which has been extremely well organised. Each room has been cleverly set up depicting different occasions (and eras). If you want you can even try on a kilt or a basque!! It was lovely driving along quiet country roads. There are lots more to see but it was nice taking things slowly. Can't wait to go back to drive these roads when autumn comes."

• Travel date: 13th September 2007

Impressive hotel

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"Booked the Aston through LastMinute.com and got a good deal on an executive room. The hotel is situated about a 15 minute walk from Dumfries town centre, in the grounds of a park which also hosts a hospital, business park, church and university campus. The hotel building is partly original Victorian and partly an adjoining new-build (2006). Both our room and the public areas were fitted-out to a high standard and were impeccably clean. The staff were friendly, helpful and polite. Our room had a king-sized bed, flat-screen TV and air-con. The bathroom had a large bath (big enough for two) and walk-in shower. I can’t comment on the restaurant but with hindsight I wish we had eaten there, as Dumfries on a Sunday night wasn’t overflowing with particularly appealing dining opportunities."

• Travel date: 15th August 2007

Fabulous

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"Stayed here for 6 nights and it was just superb. Buffet breakfast meant we were fed for the day ! Dinners - and we had 5 were excellent....good choice of menu and delicious cuisine. Room was bright and spotlessly clean, bed Soooooo....... comfortable. Saff were very friendly and helpful. The grounds were beautiful, ideal for a leisurely walk after meals. Would certainly go back and overall felt we'd excellent value for money. WELL DONE and Thanks ASTON HOTEL"

• Travel date: 15th August 2007

Great Hotel

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"We enjoyed an overnight stop here on our way home from Europe. Part of the hotel (with the restaurant and reception) is in an old traditional Scottish sandstone building, but the accomodation is located in a purpose built glass fronted extension (opened late 2006). As other reviewers have stated, the girl on reception was very welcoming and check-in efficient. Our room was large with a Super King sized bed and two temporary singles and a large LCD TV. There was space in a cupboard for a fridge, but none was fitted. Surprisingly for such a large, modern room, the bathroom was quite small and had only a shower and no bath. Plenty of toiletries were supplied. Our rate included both breakfast and evening meal (an allowance of £17.50 per adult). The food was excellent but service was a bit slow at times. Breakfast is a self service buffet. Not the biggest choice, but good quality and the hot food really was hot - why can't the big hotel chains manage to provide hot food at their buffets?). Don't be put off by the fact that the hotel is located in the grounds of a hospital - the grounds are very attractive and a good place for a walk. We would thoroughly recommend the Aston Hotel to anyone visiting Dumfries."

• Travel date: 6th August 2007

Stunning, brilliant, wondeful. Need I say more!?

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Absolutely superb. 100+ nights in a Marriott last year worldwide so know what I'm basing it against! Everything, and I mean everything, was spot on. Reception - great, remembering names was a really nice touch (if a little disconcerting to begin with!). Check-in quick as was check-out. Bar - brilliant service, prices fine. Restaurant - Breakfast great, staff ranged from "amazingly attentive" to "rushed by attentive" - but nothing less than that. Rooms - wow. This is boutique Chelsea rather than border country hotel. Bed is one of the best I've had in a hotel, bathrooms huge and very high standard, LCD TV's, quality hot chocolate and biscuits, FREE wifi (beat that Marriott...). Grounds - well, there's practically a cathedral set in its own grounds 50 metres from the front door and stunning views of the Solway Firth (or at least the hills on the edge of it) which rival even the Sydney Harbour Marriott's view! Staff - brilliant. Nothing was a problem, even had a very interesting history talk from the GM on departure! As I said bar, reception and restaurant staff were friendly, helpful and just could not do enough for you. Only regret is not getting to eat in the restaurant as we had to go down to the Cairndale (urgh...). For once I've found a hotel that I would happily drive 10 hours to stay in again. Just could not fault it. Superb - keep up the stunning work. Thanks for making a great weekend faultless :-)"

• Travel date: 30th July 2007

Nice Hotel but could try harder

Reviewed 30th December 2012

"We have just come back from a nice weekend at the Aston Hotel. The Hotel itself is very easy to find with lots of car parking spaces. We were greeted by a lovely receptionist who remembered our names later on which was a nice touch. The room was really nice with a large kingsize bed and LCD TV. The bathrrom was modern and clean but only had a shower and not a bath, which is fine for a weekend visit but if I'd been there any longer I would have been dissapointed. There were events going on at the hotel for both the Friday and the Saturday night but the soundproofing was so good that I only ever heard a faint noise from the hallway but never from another room The only reason I've not given this a 5 star review is because of the restaurant. The food itself was very good (although the steak was a little tasteless) with good sized portions and very resonably priced however the service was the problem. We ate both night and both nights there only ever seemed to be one person that knew what they were doing, the other staff were just wandering around aimlessly. When we arrived we asked if our table was ready as we were a little early and they said no but they'd come and get us when it was, this they forgot to do. They gave you bread without asking if you'd like white or brown, I asked for some water so they bought me a jug but no glass, which I asked for again but this never did turn up, in the end I stole one from another table. We had to wait ages for someone to take our order and then in the end when we asked for the bill we waited so long that we just got up and walked out, asking for something to sign at the entrance way. On the first night we thought this was funny but by the second night we got a bit fed up. The breakfast in the morning was better as it was buffet style however even then they took forever to clean tables which meant you had to wait for a clean table and there were a lot of empty pots (no sauce either morning & no milk or OJ the first morning) Despite this I'd still go back and just hope that they've got some better restarant staff for the next visit."

• Travel date: 15th July 2007

staff amazing!!!!!

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"having just left the hotel week or so ago i was knocked off my feet by the quality of some of the staff , a Receptionist who knew her job as if it was a life or death situation and bar saff that were so friendly i lost track of time talking. to the general manager do not lose the receptionist you will be able to tell which person i mean she is an asset to your hotel!"

• Travel date: 7th June 2007

Great stay

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Booked through laterooms and got a great rate on B and B - don't recommend you book through the hotel website for the best deals. We really enjoyed our time here...fantastic mix of the old and the new in the hotel with the public areas being relatively grand in an older part of the hotel and the rooms being in a brand new, if slightly soulless, extension. Our room was lovely and spacious with a very comfy bed and was well fitted out. The hotel restaurant also serves excellent food in comfortable surroundings. Excellent cooked and buffet breakfast with a good selection. The hotel is set within the Crichton Campus which is easy to get to by car within Dumfries, but only served by a local bus if coming by public transport. The staff are friendly and did everything they could to accommodate us during our stay. This hotel appears as 4 star on some websites but has an official ranking of 3 stars. However, it is a lot better than similar 4 star hotels I've stayed in and is perhaps only held back by the absence of any leisure facilities. Throw in a pool and gym and this place would be well worth even the expensive rates on its website. We'd definitely stay here again and plan to do so in a few months when back in Dumfries for a wedding"

• Travel date: 12th March 2007