Refurbished classic family bedroom at Mercure Ayr Hotel

• bath shower
  • hair dryer
  • baggage storage
  • breakfast in the room
  • express check in check out
  • fax photocopying
  • parking garage
  • polish amenities
  • swedish amenities
  • wine champagne
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • sauna
  • coffee tea maker
  • shallow end
  • swimming pool toys
  • pedicure
  • paid public parking on site
  • paid private parking nearby
  • interconnected rooms available
  • wardrobe closet
  • first aid kit
  • cable satellite tv

Good

tHOUROUGHLY ENJOYED STAY HERE, STAFF EXT...

Reviewed 4th March 2008

"tHOUROUGHLY ENJOYED STAY HERE, STAFF EXTREMELY HELPFUL, RESTAURANT STAFF SLIGHTLY SLOW, WAS BUSY. COULD FIND NO FAULTS WITH ROOM, EXCELLENT STANDARD OF CLEANLINESS, BATHROOM SPOTLESS, BEDS VERY COMFY. DROPPED SOMETHING UNDER BED..WAS PLESANLTY SURPRISED TO FIND.....NOTHING!!! COMPLETLY FRESH AND OBVIOUSLY HOOVERD(BAD EXPERIENCE IN OTHER HOTEL) HOUSEKEEPER VERY FRIENDLY, HELPED WITH DIRECTIONS VERY OBLIGING. MODERN ROOMS, PUBLIC AREAS VERY CLEAN BUT REQUIRE MODERNISING. WOULD DEFNATLY RETURN."

• Travel date: 4th March 2008

better than expected

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"I stayed here in a single room (very small but refurbished to a reasonable standard)on the 6th floor. There was quite a nice view including a distant glimpse of the sea. The window could be opened to let in good fresh air.Traffic noise wasn't a problem but most nights rowdy folk on their way home at 3 or 4am. could be heard making a racket outside. The food was quite good with three choices for each course for the evening meal ( I had half board) and a reasonably-stocked buffet breakfast (best to get down early for a decent choice!) The staff were all pleasant and helpful, but a bit over-stretched at busy times."

• Travel date: 14th October 2006

I recently visited this hotel and was very impressed with the service I received

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"I recently stayed at this hotel and was impressed with the service i received. The housemaids were very helpful and although the hotel is needing an upgrade the rooms were clean. In the restaurant I found the staff to be most attentive. I require a gluten free diet and everyone including the chefs made sure I was catered for. I will return"

• Travel date: 14th October 2006

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Staying here is hardly a luxury experience. Paper peeling from the wall in the bedroom at the window, rickety furniture in the room, corridors where there are only non smoking bedrooms reeking of smoke and the whole place giving the impression of being dirty and tired. Cheap, but could not be anything else."

• Travel date: 14th September 2006

Weird

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"The hotel was dated. When we got in to our room we found other peoples clothing in our room. When we came back from a meal in ayr town we found the clothes had been moved, but an expensive item of our own had been moved. The night manager was not helpful in the least, although the manager in the morning was. The bathroom was dirty and the rooms were small. The hotel appearence does not give you good first impressions."

• Travel date: 21st August 2006

Very disappointed

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"Room was mediocre at best. Looked shoddy. Wallpaper/paint peeling. Carpet worn. Couch armrest coming off. Mattress on one bed very thin, old. No facecloths in bathroom at any time. Staff was pleasant and helpful."

• Travel date: 11th October 2005

Don't go to this hotel

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"Just returned from an overnight stay. We booked into this hotel thinking it was a well known name and therefore a good hotel!!!! Wrong!!!! The reception areas looked very nice - although the receptionist was serving two people and answering the phone all at the same time. We were given a room on the fifth floor. The furniture was broke and bedside table missing altogether. The paint was flaking from the ceiling and the woodwork, there was wires sticking out of the ceiling, mould on the bathroom ceiling and holes in the window frame where there might have been a handle at one time but was now stuffed with newspaper. At least the bed linen was clean and apart from the mould above the shower, so was the bathroom. Breakfast was O.K. - a bit greasy - and there was not enough staff to keep all the tables clean or tell you where to sit - which they obviously liked to do as they moved at least two parties to different tables. Not a hotel that I would return to."

• Travel date: 12th September 2005

Shocking

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"We only stayed in this hotel because we were attending a wedding in Ayr and the wedding party were all staying there. Avoid this hotel at all costs the rooms, staff everything are truely dreadful. Our room had broken furniture, a plaster stuck on the window, chewing gum on he carpet and cigarette burns in a non-smoking room. This hotel is a disgrace and to be avoided."

• Travel date: 31st August 2005

What a rip-off...!

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"All I can say is, If you're thinking of staying here - don't! For the money it's terrible quality. Upon arrival we were told that our double room was actually a twin, but not to worry, it would be possible to push the beds together! The fact that one mattress was at least an inch higher didn't make for a comfortable night. The room itself was basic, the wallpaper seemed to coming off the walls, there were wires hanging from the ceiling and the wardrobe door didn't shut properly once full of clothes. We did request another room however, the hotel was surprisingly fully booked. Breakfast was included in the price and there was quite a variety in the buffet. The only downside here was that the crockery didn't seem too clean and the tables were sticky. So save yourself some money and go elsewhere. We wish we'd gone for a B&B instead."

• Travel date: 29th August 2005

Rotten Hotel!

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"I was talked out of staying in a basic travel inn or premier lodge by the company I work for - "use the ramada, they're always good" - What rubbish. Firstly on arrival at the hotel, the fax with the credit card info on it had been lost so I spent 30 minutes stood in reception trying to get one of our directors on the phone to pay over the phone. Upon going to the room and hanging my jacket, I failed to close the wardrobe door for loose hinges. Then I notice the heater hanging from the wall and the rip on the wallpaper - not a good start. Once I had taken off my shoes and started to relax, the hotel started to feel a bit more homely, so as I landed a day prior to to the course I was teaching, I decided to trek in to Ayr to get a meal and a drink - WRONG... every decent looking pub I came across was closed and the remainder seemed to be running Karaoke or quizzes; I realise tuesday isn't the main night of the week in any town, but come on - being relegated to Fish and Chips (Very good quality from Dino's) takes some doing. On returning to the hotel the staff were friendly and cooperative - not overly chatty but very busy, so understandable. Returning to the room I stated to settle, finding some good tv helped, as did phoning round a few friends. The next downer - my partner got us both a drink from the tap - just simple tap water. I never spat so much in one go - there was an aftertaste to the water tasting more like a chemical plant firstly assuming it was the chemical used to clean the glass, I tried another, and then a plastic bottle from my bag - further assuming it was the local water I called reception to check all was well, who simply said "there we are" when I mentioned it - Incedentally, the water in all other venues in Ayr is some of the best I've tasted in the uk.. In summary, if you are staying in Ayr, there are many better venues than this £115 per night hotel, which does not live up to the standard I would expect from a cheap backstreet guest house. They are living on Ramada Jarvis' good name and being let down no end."

• Travel date: 28th July 2005