Bay Glenburn Hotel

Great service

Reviewed 8th February 2013

"Stayed with my wife and a friend 30 December to 2 Jan. for New Year break. Was looking forward to a caleigh. Had a premonition that things wouldn't be what we expected when three bus loads of pensioners arrived just as we were checking in. There then began three days of tea dances. These were held In the small dance area next to the lounge bar, far too small for the number of guests. There is a large dance area upstairs but this was never on offer. I genuinely felt for the English and Welsh visitors who were also looking forward to a traditional Scottish Neerday and Hogmanay. NOT the Neerday we had expected. Food was excellent and staff friendly. Location is five minutes walk from Rothesay, where there are plenty of shops and a few pubs. Views from the hotel are breathtaking. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for good food. It appears to be aimed at the more mature guest."

• Travel date: 12th January 2009

Getting illness

Reviewed 6th February 2013

"A Tripadvisor Member, Budapest, Hungary I was staying in Glenburn for one month. In winter you can't do anything, and can't go anywhere. The food is also boring. The cleaners use the same cloth for the toilet, floor, basins, and cups! You can break ankle on the dilapidated wooden floor."

• Travel date: 23rd December 2008

Old Folk's Home

Reviewed 7th February 2013

"This hotel looks AND smells like a residential home for the elderly. I took frequent trips to the front door to breath fresh, clean air as the smell was so overpowering. Rooms look like they were last decorated in the 1970's and the overall presentation was shabby; ripped wallpaper in the corridors, pictures hanging on the wall with big cracks in the glass, badly stained carpets etc. The "entertainment" made me for the first time in my life contemplate suicide...when you're dressed up, having drinks and fancy a dance - you want a good selection of songs and artists, however the 'resident' entertainers never stepped out their comfort zones once to accommodate any resident under the age of 75. In summary - probably great if you're a pensioner with no sense of smell, rubbish if you're under 50 and want a fun evening."

• Travel date: 30th November 2008

beautiful bute

Reviewed 5th February 2013

"just spent a fantastic week-end at the glenburn hotel, bute. after reading reviews of the hotel, i set off with a little trepidation, but my fears were completely unfounded. i found my room clean, bright, warm, & the view was fantatic. all was spotless, with good tea making facilities. the staff were cheerful, friendly, i was made to feel very welcome, i cant praise them highle enough, especialy the breakfast team. in short my conclusion is, that some people are only happy when they are moaning & finding fault. in closing i must add, the island is beautiful, even in november, & the islanders naturaly friendly."

• Travel date: 11th November 2008

Good Value

Reviewed 3rd February 2013

"My first experience of this type of holiday and I was pleasantly suprised. Having read the reviews I was prepared for the worse. True the hotel is a tad faded but my room was comfortable and clean, the food was fine and the staff couldn't do enough for you. All in all excellent value for money."

• Travel date: 5th November 2008

Loved it

Reviewed 4th February 2013

"We have just returned from a weekend at The Glenburn Hotel. We were actually expecting the worst after reading some of the reviews about this hotel. We arrived about 1pm and couldn't get the key untill 3 so we went into town for a while. The reception staff was very pleasant and helpful. The outlook from the hotel is lovely. Our rooms was big and spacious with plenty of wardrobe space. Tea and coffee facilities and a hairdryer. It was very clean. The restaurant was clean and we were shown to our table straight away. Our waitress was very helpful and the choice of food was excellant. The service was very good. The only thing we found to moan at really was that the bar didnt open untill 5pm and shut at 11pm and the entertainment was very dated. Good if you've got a partner and know ballroom dancing. But we went into town where there is a few good pubs. On the whole this weekend was excellant value for money."

• Travel date: 4th October 2008

island hoppers

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Just returned from a 3 night stay. Very impressive looking hotel from the outside, however very disappointed on entering. Arrived around 1.30 pm but had to wait (reception would not give keys out until 3 pm). there appeared no place to get a tea or coffee, the bar was closed, just various other guests sitting around awaiting the 'key hour of 3 pm'. The room, having paid a supplement for sea view was very, very basic and extremely 'tired' and appeared to have had no attention in years with the exception of a coat of paint on the walls, carpet looked very grubby and well worn, the funiture much the same, infact the bar / lounge area were no better. The bathroom extractor did not work, the shower only worked by putting the bath taps full on so that the water pressurised up to the shower head, but this also gave you a full bath of water ? what a waste - the only good thing was that the water was HOT. The dinning room was ok but service very slow, in my view this was down to lack of staff. One morning when I asked for some milk for the coffee I was asked 'have you used all the other milk' when infact we had none on our table ! other incidents were lack of cutlery ie soup and desert spoons and butter, when asking for them the waitress always asked 'do you not have one' and just shrugged and took the lacking item(s} from another table, in one instance took the items we required from a table vacated by others. The food ok/acceptable with a reasonable choice. Heard other guests complaining to the Manager about the state of their rooms and non working showeres, he was not very co-operative with them, hence we did not bother complaining ! How this hotel rates itself as a 3* beats me. Would I go again - NO,"

• Travel date: 23rd September 2008

under 55 give it a miss

Reviewed 28th January 2013

"we were the youngest there at 54yrs and 55 yrs female. Rooms need a coat of paint, food was just ok the staff do their best except reception not helpfull and grumpy. Our table had cutlery missing, we asked for water and got it but no glasses yuk. entertainment very poor saturday nioght waltzing matilda stuff, we went out to the town which is dowdy and youngsters in bus shelets drinking etc. the hotel caters in the main for their coach trips cheap and cheerfull if you are in the blue rinse brigade. Beds are cumfy tho. best bit of the break."

• Travel date: 16th September 2008

very happy with it

Reviewed 27th January 2013

"My husband and I have stayed here 3 times this year. The entertainment in the evening is very good and the nightly quizzes get you talking to other people. The service in the Restaurant is a bit slow sometimes but not too much of a problem.The views from the hotel are brilliant and there is a covered terrace outside with tables and chairs. I think I am the only one that has never seen the deer wandering about the garden, usually early in the morning or evening time."

• Travel date: 29th August 2008

Never again

Reviewed 31st January 2013

"The service was terrible in the restaurant. Restaurant Manager not interested in complaints regarding bad service, bad food and most things on menu not available. Receptionist rude when we complained that room was not serviced. A fire alarm at six o'clock in the morning showed that staff had no idea regarding fire drill as nobody was to be seen checking rooms. This was a Shearings holiday with terrible evening entertainment which has gone downhill since we stayed some years ago. If you are on the island speak to some of the locals who are not too amused at what this is doing to their tourist trade."

• Travel date: 24th August 2008

Ended up with Gastro-Enteritis (Norovirus)

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"I write not just about the Glenburn Hotel, as my stay there was part of a 5-day coach and hotel break I and a friend took with Shearings. I wouldn't have given the break only 1* had I not ended up being very ill. I found the food at the Glenburn good and plentiful and the waiters were smashing. They were mainly Eastern Europeans and it was great to see them making such a good job of work local people didn't want. The room was OK. It was overheated for my tastes, but it suited my friend to have a warm room. There was still some scaffolding outside, but we could see the sea if we stood at the window and looked. For enjoying the sea view it was, however, better to sit beside one of the windows in the communal lounge. The included excursions were brilliant and we particularly enjoyed being entertained one evening by Lena Zavaroni's cousin. Clearly, I should have been commenting on a smashing wee break. Unfortunately, however, I ended up with a complaint against Shearings that they didn't wish to know about. Their replies to my letters are patronising and evasive. I'm therefore being obliged to seek redress with the help of Holiday Travel Watch, who proved to be really helpful and supportive when I contacted them. The possibility exists that the Norovirus outbreak of which I was a victim was not a one-off. So watch yourselves, as it is a real nasty. It took until mid-July for me to get back to normal."

• Travel date: 12th August 2008

Lovely mini break

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"Although we arrived early at the hotel we were allowed to use our room immediately. The decor was a bit dated but the room was clean. Plenty of tea and coffee which was a relief .Menus in the restaurant had at least four choices one being vegetarian so all seem to be catered for.Our waiter was Paul aged about 18,he was really helpful and knowledgable about the island.Saw seals,gannets diving,porpoises and wild dear,all in the Ettrick Bay area.Great little bar in the square called the Taverna, good company, great conversation and the staff were very pleasant and spoke to everyone.This is NOT an action packed holiday destination,but if you just want a relaxing break this is just what the doctor ordered."

• Travel date: 31st July 2008