A warm welcome awaits you from the home of great hospitality

Refurbished rooms are excellent

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"A "Transit Camp" for oil workers it may be, but it's refurbished rooms are finished to a high standard and the public areas are equally pleasant. The railway station in Dyce is only a few minutes away so if you're in Aberdeen and can get a good price from them, I would consider this place. Their restaurant is stylishly laid out but their breakfast buffet cannot be worth paying for if it's not included in your rate: everytime I've been there the staff allow the food to go cold rather than replace it with freshly cooked stuff. There is truth in the fact that oil companies do put their staff up there as a matter of course and perhaps they have simply got used to this income and grown lazy but the refurbishment programme is testament to the fact they are moving on up. If you're paying for this place yourself, insist on a refurbished room and you wont be disappointed, they are like mini suites."

• Travel date: 8th March 2009

Surprised!!!

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"I have to say in reading the reviews on this hotel last minute i was a tad worried as i am a young lady traveling to this hotel on my own for a work related course but not everything is to be believed. When I got to the Hotel it was about 9pm and very dark outside so i couldnt really see what the building was like but i entered the reception and was greeted by a friendly receptionist who was very helpful in advising me of the bus times and where the bus stop was to get to centre of town for the following days meetings. She then offered me the choise of smoking or non smoking room which i was very happy about but then she was very honest and advised me that the non smoking rooms had been done up but the smoking hadnt so i opted for the non - smoking room which was really nice with a huge bed and tv and looked nice and modern and clean with a good tv signal and plenty sockets for my hair appliances etc. By this time it was after 9pm when i entered the dinning area which was still serving meals. I ordered a chicken ceasar salad which did come very quickly but without dressing and i have to say very plane! I advised my waiter and he came back rather quicly with a side plate with various other chopped salad on it and the dressing which i was very happy with he couldnt of been more helpful! which i found i got the same time i entered the dinning area staff were happy to go the extra mile for you! I would also like to just say that even though the hotel if full of oil workers and very few woman it seemed like a friendly place with a nice atmosphere maybe not the best place for a woman on her own but still an enjoyable stay."

• Travel date: 15th October 2008

The Infamous Scooby Doo

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"I have stayed here several times, put up by various oil companies. Sometimes for 1 night other times for a week. Not my favourite hotel, but it does the job. Though I usually have the same battle at reception, no you do not have a booking. I give them the email or fax confirmation, they go away and come back ten minutes later, oh ok we are pretty busy but do have a room. Then at meal times, I tell them that I am on DB&B as per my company instructions, they tell me I am not, they go away, come back in ten minutes and say oh ok it was a mistake. I wonder how many young inexperienced business travellers, pay for meals that their companies have already paid for ???? The meals themselves vary between good and "What was that", though generally hot, plentiful and do the job. The breakfast are good, as it is a self service buffet and you take as little or much as you fancy. Generally good quality too. ------- The rooms are fine, unless the weather is foul, as you have to go outside to get to them, they are cleanish and comfortable. Parking can be a nightmare, as previously said, many people leave their cars there for two weeks or more as they go offshore. The public bar is basic and is just a drinking den that can get a bit lively some nights. Best walk 5 minutes to the Spiders Web in Dyce, the lounge there is nice enough. ------- Not a place to book for families, or a romantic getaway with the wife or girlfriend (Especially not together :-) ), but for a guy working in the area or going offshore it is alright to average. A single woman working in the area, may find it a bit intimidating as it is full of Oil rig crews having their last fling before going offshore, as most of Aberdeens hotels are."

• Travel date: 22nd August 2008

what a great break

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"What a Surprise, having read the other reviews on this hotel I was not really looking forward to this trip away But what a turn up for the books. Was Booked into what I can only describe as a large, modern bedroom. The hotel receptionist (Debbie) who Booked me in was so friendly, nothing was to much trouble for her, all she seemed interested in was ensuring I had a great time. The bedroom had a very comfortable King size bed with nice clean bed sheets waiting for me after a very long journey. Not sure why people have mentioned the aiport noise as while I was there for 2 Nights I could not hear any noise from the planes while in the bedroom. Both mornings I went down to breakfast where I was greeted by some very friendly staff, who seemed only to happy to serve me my breakfast (Which I must say rated up there with other top Hotel) All I can say is I can't wait to go back again"

• Travel date: 18th July 2008

AWFUL - Prison Camp

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"Had to stay at this "hotel" last week for a conference in the city and there was no where else available. The place is a building site, the receptionist told me that they were going through a £3.5 million refurb - if they tripled that amount they might - just might - get close to what they need to spend on the place to bring it up to a reasonable 3 star standard. They certainly don't charge 3 star prices - £160 B&B per night! The hotel was full of drunk oil riggers, as the North Sea heliport is just across the road, so take ear plugs as you will be wakened at 05:30 with helicopters! The room was large, but very basic and the bed was so uncomfortable, I could feel the mattress springs which made sleeping very difficult. The bathroom was very cramped. The food was awful, seriously overcooked and what was edible was tasteless - I ate in town the next night. After my experience with dinner, I didn't even bother with breakfast. Positives?... large bedrooms and the staff were friendly enough, but beyond that I cannot suggest any. Menzies I'm sure make a fortune from the place, but with the blocks of grotty external rooms, it is more like a prison camp than any Menzies hotel that I have ever stayed in. I will never go back."

• Travel date: 27th May 2008

Avoid if possible

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"I occasionally get put up here by an oil service company but I would certainly not choose to stay here. As previously reported it is very much a transit camp for oil workers and the hotel does not have to make much effort to attract paying guests. The hotel has a policy of selling parking space to oil workers during their offshore stints so parking can be limited, or at least nowhere near your room. The rooms are in dismal blocks remote from the main building, or at least the many that I have stayed in. There are purportedly some 'nice' rooms inside the main building but this could be just offshore folk lore. None of the other Tripadvisor reports bear this out. The access to the rooms is via concrete stairways and corridors reminiscent of correctional facilities or eastern bloc state housing. The rooms themselves are reasonably comfortable if a bit dated. Plenty of desk space and (pay) wireless internet in some rooms. The decor is gloomy and the furniture ancient. Sheets, hairy blankets and heavy counterpanes instead of duvets are the order of the day and I think the pillows probably came with the hotel and haven't been changed since. You might find impervious undersheets fitted to the bed to counter bed-wetting issues with inebriated guests so whip these off as they make you sweat like crazy.Some of the bathrooms have a bit of a mould problem but, on the plus side, there is always loads of hot water. The heating is adequate when at full blast but the pipes can be noisy if you're a light sleeper. On the subject of noise the hotel is on the flightpath from the heliport and the flights start at 0530..... The restaurant is always disappointing - the waiting staff are currently eastern European and are cheerfull enough but hopeless. The table d'hote menu is £13.50 for 2 courses and is clearly a combination of frozen, microwaved, tinned or raw. While I was last eating there I saw 2 couples obviously at odds with the waitress over the quality of the food and I, too, had to take issue and get a reduction from my bill for dirty crockery. The background music is a local radio station, which is handy if you want to know where to get tyres the next day but not conducive to a relaxed dining experience. Your fellow diners will be mainly solitary oil workers arguing into mobile phones or groups of oil workers, drunk. As the hotel is on an industrial estate there are not many eating establishments nearby but a 10 minute walk into Dyce will bring you to the Dunavon House Hotel, which is recommended (book for the restaurant but probably eat on-spec in the bar). Back at the Scooby-doo, as it is colloquially known, breakfast is plentiful if pedestrian and the same radio station is playing..... In short the Skean Dhu has its uses as a cheapish put-you-up within striking distance of the airport, heliport and industrial areas. However, don't be fooled into thinking it is a quaint tartan-and-stag's-head type country hotel for a cosy romantic getaway because it ain't. For the same sort of £70-80 price bracket if you have to be in Dyce stay at the aforementioned Dunavon House Hotel, if you have to be at the airport stay at the Speedbird and if you have to be in town then stay in town. Don't worry about the Skean Dhu going out of business because it won't. The hotel has just changed hands from the Thistle Group to the Menzies Group (or maybe the group's changed it's name) so perhaps improvements are afoot - but they will be starting from a very low baseline!"

• Travel date: 16th December 2007

Dismal

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"Stayed here for one night after attending a staff reunion. From the outside the hotels resembles army barracks and is difficult to spot especially at night as no hotel signage. The bedrooms are in blocks detatched from the hotel involving going outside, so if as it was when we were there windy and wet, not very convenient for ladies dressed in their finery. The hotel itself is quite nice but found the staff at breakfast sulky and we had to wait till they were ready to top up the tea and coffee pots ... and they certainly did not rush around to do this. I would not stay here again as there are much better hotels in the area."

• Travel date: 10th December 2007

Really good comfortable hotel. Have used...

Reviewed 14th May 2007

"Really good comfortable hotel. Have used several times and keep going back. Staff are excellent. Only criticism is room service menu - there seems to be nothing that doesn’t have onions which was a bit of a problem for us. I would definitely recommend this hotel however, as it’s very close to the airport, Jimmy Chungs restaurant and not too far out of town. great value for money."

• Travel date: 14th May 2007

Disappointment Grand

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"As an expat I travel the world from India to Mexico and all places in-between, and I can honestly say that this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The food in not eatable. The service is far below par. They forget to turn in your laundry and forget to bring your room service, if you can ever get them to answer the phones. You have to pick up and drop off all laundry, they will not come to your room. So plan on carrying your dirties to the reception area. Over-all - I will never let my company place me here again, and I could not imagine paying to stay here, ever."

• Travel date: 18th July 2005

A Business Traveler's delight

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"The Dyce Skean Dhu honestly doesn't look like much on the outside, but it's a gem inside. (I should have known better, by judging from the extremely full parking lot!) It's in a very convenient location - close to both bus and train service for non-UK drivers, with tremendous local shuttle service - and it's clean and the staff is very friendly. The rooms are very spacious, extremely well-kept, and it is one of the quietest hotels that I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. Also, the restaurant is outstanding, and the wait staff are dedicated to service. The only sad news for business travelers is the lack of internet services. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that the price is so reasonable, but I would imagine that this could be remedied in the future."

• Travel date: 9th March 2005