About Bishopstrow Hotel & Spa

• tennis court
  • facial treatments

Not up to the billing!

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"We picked this hotel for a special weekend away in November. The website looked great and for once I did not read the 'trip advisor site first. The hotel was very good at making you feel special, the surroundings are excellent and the gardens are nice. The down side was the room. It was far from what I expect of a 5 star hotel. The room was very old fashioned in need of updating and the bathroom was a huge disappointment. Some tiles were cracked, the floor looked like it wasn't finished and the 'marble' wash basin area was very very grubby. We also had no hot water in the morning, for which we were compensated, but that's not the point. The best part of the stay was the food. We were there on a fireworks weekend so the restaurant was very busy. We were seated in the 'overflow' conservatory which was a little cool but the food was very good with good service. My overall opinion is that this hotel is not up to it's 5 star status and certainly not worth the money it costs to stay here."

• Travel date: 10th February 2007

Our engagement weekend couldn't have been better

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"What a wonderful weekend. I whisked my fiancé to Bishopstrow House to celebrate our engagement the week before. The hotel was beautiful, the room was lovely, the food was great and the staff were attentive. Very surprised at the other reviews written for Bishopstrow. I guess if there were issues in the past they have taken note and resolved everything. We never even mentioned we were engaged which we probably would have done to get some improved service but to be honest it was so good we didn't have to ask for anything. That's my second Von Essen hotel (went to Lower Slaughter in February hence seeking others) and both have been wonderful. Well done Bishopstrow House and thank you. Guy & Nadia, Surrey"

• Travel date: 18th December 2006

Room 20, Antiques, what Antiques?

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"On arrival my Wife and I checked in and that was the best bit. On-route to our room (No20) we noticed a scruffy entrance door with peeling paint and then into a tired and in need of sprucing up entrance hall. Notable features of our room were peeling wallpaper above the door to the bathroom, dirty carpets, cracked and dirty tiles above the bath, dirty bathseal along the bath, dirty and cracked vanity unit under the sink at floor level. Bedroom was small with really poor wallpapering with bad joins, mirror on drawer unit was old (not antique), TV table was badly scratched and to get access to the wardrobe the armchair had to be moved, curtains had paint on and not fixed properly. The Bishopstrow House Hotel wedsite is a complete misrepresentation of at least the room we were offered and judging by the other reviews not just our room. We were also given the option of another room and this was no better. We did not stay and only paid for the Red Rose I had arranged. We drank half the Champagne whilst deciding on our course of action. I don't like being conned."

• Travel date: 4th December 2006

A luxurious country hotel experience

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"My fiancé and I have just returned from a fantastic two night stay at Bishopstrow House. Having read the mixed reviews prior to booking, we very nearly stayed elsewhere; however, due to lack of availability at our first choice hotel we ended up at Bishopstrow - and are so pleased we did. The hotel itself is a grand and characterful mansion house (with numerous additions to the original building) set in extensive grounds in the beautiful Wiltshire countryside. On entrance to the reception (which is in a little side room as you enter the building) the staff were immediately attentive and friendly. A porter took us on a tour of the leisure facilities (spa, gym and swimming pool) as he carried our bags to our room and brought us a complimentary pot of tea as we settled in. This service was typical of our experience - the young and trendy staff were generally attentive without being overbearing. We stayed in the Wylye room, which at a last minute rate of £160 per night (make sure you check the internet before booking by phone otherwise you will not be offered the best rate!) including breakfast was pretty good value for money. This was just a standard room but was huge with a (very comfortable) four poster bed, two sets of doors opening out to a patio just next to the open air swimming pool, an LCD tv, DVD player, sitting area and large bathroom with twin sinks, bath and separate shower. The decor was sympathetic to the age of the building and looked quite recently done. We saw none of the shabbiness that has been commented upon in earlier reviews, other than along some of the high traffic areas such as the communal corridors. We ate in the hotel's Mulberry restaurant on our first night which, at £38 per person for a 3 course meal, coffee and petit fours is fairly expensive (add a bottle of house wine and water and it's closer to £60 per head). However, the quality of the food was reasonably high. My fiancé said the smoked chicken starter and cornish lamb main course were some of the best food he has had. I had the warm crab mousse with avocado sorbet, which was just weird - not something I will ever be minded to try again. The venison though was very good. For dessert, we had the dark chocolate fondant and the "assiete of raspberries" respectively, both of which were lovely. My only criticism really of the restaurant is that the chef is a little guilty of putting too many different flavours onto one plate. The dishes would probably benefit from simplification. The leisure facilities at the hotel were one of the reasons we chose to stay there and we were not disappointed. The outdoor pool is now open all year and the indoor pool and jacuzzi have been recently refurbished with new changing rooms added. The indoor pool area is gorgeous. The small gym is also well equipped and I had a fantastic facial at the Elemis spa. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at Bishopstrow, which exceeded our expectations given that we had been expecting it to be a little shabby and overpriced. We would certainly go back."

• Travel date: 23rd November 2006

Very disappointing

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"I have just returned from a weekend away at Bishopstrow House. The "double" bed was in fact two single beds pushed together with the mattresses at different heights. The room was shabby with fraying carpets on the stairs, cracked bathroom tiles and mould around the grouting of the bath. Breakfast was a disaster complete with service by a waiter who barely spoke any English. After complaining hte first night we were moved to a room with a proper double bed, but as it was on the ground floor and there is no insulation between the floors when the guests upstairs decided to wake up on sunday morning at 6:45am we may as well have been living in their bathroom. My plan for a relaxing weekend was completely ruined with a total lack of sleep and incredible disappointment at the lack of service and value for a hotel which is supposedly 4 stars and in my view incredibly overpirced for what you get. I would not recommend anyone go to stay at this hotel."

• Travel date: 17th July 2006

Lovely Place Shame About The Details

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"On first impression this hotel is beautiful, it's set in gorgeous grounds by a river with an indoor and outdoor pool. We stayed here for one night stay in between work and I could imagine it's a nice place to spend a few days lazing in the countryside. Our particular favourite were the hammocks dotted about the well-tended gardens that provided an excellent way to kill a few hours before dinner. The hotel was very quiet when we stayed and generously we were upgraded from a premium room to a suite, spread over two floors. The bathroom included the largest whirlpool bath I've ever seen...with gold swan taps on every appliance. Has to be seen to be believed. The weather was hot when we turned up and the room was so unbelievably hot we had to stay outside for a couple of hours with all the windows open for it to cool down. Eventually it was bearable but it took quite a while to get there. Couple of other niggles - there's no fridge in the room, so you have to rely on room service, which was speedy and friendly when we tried it. The TV reception was pretty bad and forget satellite channels, they didn't work at least in our room. The TV downstairs didn't have an aerial cable so was useless. We did ask for a replacement cable, but it didn't turn up. The room itself was nice with an enormous comfortable bed, and a view out of French windows onto a mound at the back. On arrival, we were treated to the sight of a helicopter taking off from there as some of the other guests departed. Couldn't quite match their style though. The lounges are nice places to chill out at the end of the day, they're what I'd describe as comfortably tatty. Not sure if it's the look the hotel is going for, but the sofas are well worn in, but they're comfy and the giant backgammon table is good - although were a couple of pieces missing. The restaurant was disappointing. To give some perspective, it was a very quiet Sun night with only three other tables in. We were first to arrive having booked a table. There was literally no-one in the restaurant at all. After standing around awkwardly for 5 mins waiting for someone to turn up, we headed back to the bar, where the bar tender managed to find the restaurant manager. Not a good start. After getting the menus we watched and waited whilst the other covers came in, chose their food and got their wine. And we waited. And we waited. 15 mins later the manager made an appearance after the embarrassed looking waitress (who was cleearly training, was very friendly and was very good) went into the kitchen to find him. When we did finally order, the white wine turned up at room temperature in a bucket of tepid water that hadn't seen any ice in a good hour or so. The cooking was pretty good, but many of the dishes were overly complicated with too many flavours and items lobbed together on the plate. For example, both of the desserts we chose had at least 4 different items on the plate and it wasn't clear how it all went together. Maybe it was an off-night. The restaurant manager really managed to wind us up though, by generally disappearing into the kitchen for long intervals. Maybe he was cooking as well? We felt sorry for the waitress who was left to fend on her own and did a good job in the circumstances. Would we go back? Not at full rack rate...but, if the the service was improved, it is a lovely place to stay."

• Travel date: 10th July 2006

Nice Birthday surprise

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"An overnight stay with dinner was a surprise birthday treat. The good points were the room (nice & large, with a wonderful bathroom) and the food, which was excellent. The staff were friendly and professional, though the hotel seemed slightly understaffed - this may be because this was mid-week. I don't know exactly what my partner paid, but the quoted rates seemed a little high. We had a really nice evening."

• Travel date: 19th June 2006

Relaxing Hotel

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"We have just enjoyed our third stay at Bishopstrow. It's a wonderfully tranquil place which is perfect for escaping from a hectic life! Having read the negative reviews posted, we'd like to put the positive points - and there are plenty. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The service we have always found to be excellent. We used the pool in the spa which was great plus there's also a pool outside. The food is delicious and there is a reasonable choice. Our only criticism is that they allow children in the restaurant late in the evening. As parents of 4 children, we go to Bishopstrow for a child-free break and were disappointed that there was a crying baby in the restaurant at 9pm on a Saturday night. That may sound harsh as the poor parents need to eat but we'd like to see a cut off time for kids or a high tea for them. Also the resaurant would benefit from music as it's small and you can overhear other diners' conversations. The bedrooms are full of charm. We have only stayed in standard rooms (1 and 3) but these are adequate. Room 1 is more spacious and slightly less 'tired' looking than room 3. Overall, Bishopstrow could do with a bit of a spruce up - and yes, there is peeling wall paper, chipped paint etc but overall we love it because it's unpretentious, relaxing, with lovely walks and we look forward to going back again."

• Travel date: 14th June 2006

Terrible and upsetting

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"A romantic Birthday surprise was frankly a disaster. The service was terrible, the food was unedible and the room was shoddy. We were checked in to the wrong room and I had to go and suggest the error. The champagne I had ordered in the room had been there all day and was warm. after this it was all a real disaster. I made a complaint but still paid the full amount. An expensive and ghastly experience."

• Travel date: 25th March 2006

four girls had a wonderful time,staff couldn't enough for us

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We had a lovely pamper weekend all the staff couldn't do enough for us. Food was of a good standard the only down side we could say was the restuarant was cold and it need updating (decor). Rooms were nice and clean and plenty of towels to use.The girls in the spa gave us excellent treatments."

• Travel date: 26th February 2006