Village Hotel Swindon

Changes made

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last four years. Firstly I stayed in a "speciality room" 4 poster bed. This was awful as the bed had 3 mattresses on it, which gave me a bad back due to little support. After the first night I slept the rest of my time there on the floor. I had a standard room the next time I stayed and an executive the following stays, both rooms were essentially the same size with the same small bathroom, the executive rooms now have aircon, which is essential in the summer months while staying at this hotel, as the corridors are long and airflow very poor. Fridges are in all rooms, if you take the upgrade the fridge will be stocked as a mini bar. Room service was very good, although when friends have stayed here I always have recommended they try the beef sandwiches, on my last stay I, as usual, ordered these via room service and they were the worst I have ever had…again a great shame, which points to standards falling once again at this hotel. The hotel was keen to "show off" the fact that they have new mattresses in place; again these are far too soft for anyone with a back condition. Breakfast is a delight, fresh foods of all descriptions, although staff do not seem keen to ask if you require further coffee, tea or toast. Asking for a table of your preference will also meet with a surly reply! Some bar staff are more attentive than others and deserve and certainly earn the tip, others find the whole experience a trial, to juggle serving more than two people waiting. I spent a wonderful morning watching cricket and being served at my table, the next day, the guy serving could not even be bothered to empty very full ashtrays and table full of glasses and coffee cups, hence consistency of service would be good. The one thing I do miss and I don't take sugar in coffee, were the sugar lumps which used to be served with coffee in a separate bowl, it now comes in sachets, I guess this is why this hotel is no longer a four star hotel, it is the little things you notice De Vere...do take note. Food in restaurant is over priced and not all that great. I will stay here again but spend my nights wondering if my back will cope with the soft mattress experience there."

• Travel date: 24th September 2005

Great Stay

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"I stayed at the De Vere Swindon with my wife and daughter recently - had to pay a £25 upgrade to get a family room (classed as 'Executive') but it was worth it. The room itself was large, beautifully furnished with air conditioning and complimentary drinks fridge. A small balcony with a table and chairs added a nice extra to the room facilities. Hotel itself is equally well decorated and furnished with excellent comon areas, stylish patios and a good size pool and gym. The restaurant is large and well designed, staff attentive and food of good quality and value. I would have no hesitation in staying at the De Vere Swindon again."

• Travel date: 19th August 2005

great weekend break

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"just returned from a 3 night break at the de vere swindon ,had a great time ,stayed in a suite, lovely room now with air con which was the main downside of this hotel.all the staff were as friendly and helpful as anyone could have been.the evening meal and breakfast were great as well .definately recommended"

• Travel date: 26th July 2005

Superb Hotel

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"A fantastic Hotel. My fiance and I have just returned from a long weekend break, and could not fault this Hotel. The staff were wonderful, very helpful. The standard of the bedrooms were high, and kept very clean. Food in the Restaurant is of a very high quality, and there is alot to choose from. The great thing about this Hotel is, there is a beautiful courtyard to escape to and enjoy the sun and a few drinks. Having stayed in a number of Swindon Hotels, I would have no hesitation in recommending this one as the best. Will definatley stay again."

• Travel date: 16th July 2005

Really Poor Service

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel for a wedding and did not enjoy the experience one bit. The reception staff were unbelievably rude when we were checking in. The ceiling of our room was covered in mould so we asked to be moved. They very reluctantly moved us (me and my heavily pregnant girlfriend) to another room, which smelled of damp with the hint of vomit. They claimed they were unable to move us again (booked up due to the wedding and large number of American Marines) and refused to give us a second key to the room. Restaurant and bar staff were also incredibly rude. This is an expensive hotel which doesn't seem to care much about its guests. I would never stay there again."

• Travel date: 19th June 2005

Don't stay in the summer

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"Nice hotel. Very good standard. Good food. Good Staff. BUT No aircon. During the summer, I saw the temp raise to well over 35 degrees in the rooms with no way to cool them down. If this hotel installed aircon, it would be the best hotel in the area. PS Nice in the winter though."

• Travel date: 14th October 2004

Excllent

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"The hotel is just 5 minutes from the M4 on the Western side of Swindon. The hotel is on a leisure / retail park next to a Pizza Hut, Asda Superstore and the local health club. There is also a cinema and Night Club just across the car park. We were very pleased with the location and found it an ideal base for Swindon, Bath, Reading and Winchester. The room was of a high standard and very clean. The staff are efficient and friendly. Room service was also reasonably priced and efficient, we never had to wait more than 15 to 20 minutes. The breakfast was excellent, top marks for serving up a tasty piping hot breakfast! The pool, steam room and Sauna were also of a high standard. There was also Broadband Internet access in the room but we did not get a chance to test this. We will certainly use this hotel again."

• Travel date: 12th September 2004

Smart upmarket Hotel

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"We have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions over the past few years and can only think of one fault, it needs air-conditioning, the rooms can be hot! The Lobby and public areas are lovely and well furnished, nice sofas and bar area, wher ether is a good view of the pool. The leisure facilities are fantastic, the changing rooms are very smart with lovely carpet and private cubicles if you want, the pool and jaquzzi itself are very nice, not big but fashionable design and nice pool loungers to sit in. I have stayed in the standard rooms and once a four poster, all are lovely with the standard ones being very clean and comfortable with all you need (admitidly i have not stayed at other deveres so cannot comment on the differences like mini bars etc but i have no complaints about the rooms.) The restaurant does a fantastic breakfast, very good choice with everything you could want and if you do have an evening meal there is a very good allowance for it if staying Dinner Bed and Breakfast, the evening dinner was lovely when we had it. All in all an excellent hotel which makes you feel like you are staying somewhere much more expensive than you pay! unlike London!"

• Travel date: 8th June 2004

Nice....but not the usual de vere standard

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"My partner and I decided to stay in Swinden at the last minute and after calling de vere direct we got a great rate (better than any website) for a saturday night. If you have stayed at any other of the de vere hotels you may be a little dissappointed with the rooms (no aircon or minibar)and general appearance of the hotel but the leisure facilities are quite nice. The problem we had however was that we were woken up at 2.00am, then at 2.15am and then again at 3.00am by some druken fools who thought it would be amusing to wake people up by knocking on the door and running away! Even though we complained each time, it took one hour for this problem to be dealt with. I undersand that these can be one off instances and the hotel cannot be blamed for this kind of behaviour but it should have been dealt with in a much more timely mannor. It became apparent that we were staying with a coach load of rugby supporters who had spilled over from cardif! The next moring we officially complained (along with many others) and we spoke to the weekend supervisor who assured us it would be looked into. We did receive a full refund for our stay and we did get a follow up call on the Monday by the manager. Full marks for afterservice!"

• Travel date: 24th May 2004

It'll do, I suppose

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"I've stayed at this hotel 2 or 3 times now and business, and have never been particularly impressed. The hotel is nicely decorated, but thinks too much of itself. The hotal has a pretty much captive market over the particular area that it's in, as such the rates seem to be a bit excessive. The hotel restaurant is pretentious and over-priced, the bar snacks are much better value. If I had the choice, I'd stay somewhere else."

• Travel date: 19th January 2004

Hotels near Village Hotel Swindon

Village Hotel Swindon is also called

• De Vere Village Swindon
  • De Vere Swindon Hotel
  • swindon de vere shaw ridge