Valentines get away

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"We wanted a weekend away without the kids but with thedog!!
This place was perfect. we had a very nice clean and comfortable room - with a little courtyard. The staff made us very welcome and the food in the restaurant was very good. I think only some rooms allow very well behaved dogs, but our was perfect for us and the dog! There is a good local pub and lots of fantastic walking not far away."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of December 2008

Just beautiful...

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"I heard of the Mayfield Hotels reputation through friends of mine that lived locally, and with their positivity in mind I rang them personally to book a weekend to stay, allowing me the chance to catch up with the aforementioned friends, as over the Christmas period I would not have the opportunity.

I arrived in the early evening and was greeted by two extremely friendly staff at reception. Once I was shown to my cozy and rustic room, I settled in the Lounge bar where I was able to access the Internet; they were quite happy for me to sit there for a couple of hours while I waited for my friends to arrive.

Once my friends did eventually arrive around 8:00 pm, we decided to eat in the restaurant. I can't honestly describe a meal I have enjoyed so thoroughly that wasn't cooked by my own mother! The Chocolate pot is to literally die for!!!! Once my heavenly food was digested I went straight to bed. The amenities are of high quality and I felt truly relaxed and at home in the delightful hotel. The staff were friendly and accommodating and I have already booked myself for the new year!

A true Cotswold experience, it is also ideally situated to Cirencester and Malmesbury, two towns which are worth looking round as they provided me with beautiful photos!

Just beautiful!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 11th of December 2008

Relaxing Mayfield

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"This is the second time I have stayed at the Mayfield, both times on business and wanting to be away from the crowd whilst needing all mod cons like Wi-fi, this hotel ticked all the boxes, good food/drink, relaxing atmosphere and charming staff.

Couldnt ask for a more relaxing evening durrring a hectic business schedule"

• Travel date: Fri 17th of October 2008

Good hotel and great local sourced food

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I needed somewhere local to Cirencester to stay for work and having stayed at various Best Western hotels previously went through their website and found the Mayfield. Having stayed in many of the corporate big hotels, I always try and "go local" whenever possible, and the Mayfield certainly delivered in this respect. Very easy to find, even without the wonder of Sat Nav !. The staff on reception showed me to my room, which I didn't expect but was a nice touch. All the usual comforts and importantly a comfortable bed and strong shower. Breakfast the next morning was excellent and made me decide on a light lunch! As I was staying two days I decided to eat in the hotel in the evening, but first went for a walk in the village, on the recommendation of the reception staff I tried a pint or two in the local pub around the corner, a nice cosy pub and serving great beer!
The hotel menu had some interesting options and it was excellent to see locally sourced food being served, it certainly didn't disappoint, the staff were quiet but attentive and always on hand. Thoroughly good value for money and somewhere I would definately have to take the other half to for a weekend !"

• Travel date: Wed 15th of October 2008

Foul smelling hotel.

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"On initial arrival at this hotel all seemed fine, until we stepped out of our car. The first thing that hit you was the smell of sewerage/cow. Commenting on this at reception, they seemed to think that this was Ok. Reception was friendly, and efficient, and we were shown to our room.
Our initial comment of what they described as one of the best, was small, low ceilinged, and dim. The bathroom was adequate, although the shower was useless. The room was adequately equiped, but suffered from the same smell as the hotel. On examination on the bedding we discovered some of it was stained.
We went down for dinner at 7.00pm, to be met by a surly waitress, and shown to our table. The menu we were given seemed adequate, but un-inspiring. When the food arrived our initial doubts were not settled. The starter, was satisfactory, the main course was small, warm, under seasoned, and overpriced. My wifes was greasy and lacking in inspiration. It was as mine, warm, small, and overpriced. The sweet was adequate. During the evening we were treated to a medly of 1930 tunes on CD, including "Underneath the Arches". I know there were old clientel, but this is taking things a little far.
We had the same surly service throughout the evening, and went to our room unimpressed.
The free internet service, would not work in our room, so I had to walk up and down to the lounge every time I needed to use this service.
Breakfast was as dinner, small, warm, and overpriced, with the usual surly waiter.
This was not a relaxing experience"

• Travel date: Sun 31st of August 2008

Shocking accomodation

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"• Initially we had a single room booked for three nights, but the booking was later amended to a double – it was confirmed on the phone that this was possible. On arrival we were shown into a twin room. No apology was offered, and we were informed that the hotel was full. We were told that it might be possible to change the room for the third night.
• When booking, we had been informed that we would be receiving an attic room, but I was assured that it was “bright, airy & and cheerful”. I was also informed that we should not have any problems with the sloping roof unless we were over six foot tall. This is contrary to the room that we received, as is evidenced by the photos.
• Most of our Saturday was spent in the search for alternative accommodation – which we eventually secured for Sunday night.
• Unfortunately, this meant two nights in uncomfortable beds, with lumpy pillows, saggy mattresses, and a fear of hitting the eaves when you sat up.
• No price reduction was offered, and in addition to this, we were even charged a surcharge for obtaining a morning newspaper! The room price was £103 per night, which was excessive considering the accommodation provided."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of May 2008

Clean - functional but oh so boring

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"My main priority is cleanliness and we cannot fault the hotel on this aspect, the rooms , restaurant and other areas were well maintained and perfectly adequate.
The unfortunate problem for the Mayfield is in it's identity. It hasnt the rural olde world charm to pull of the 'Country Rustic Quaint Traditional' look but it also doesnt have the finesse or sophistication to carry of the 'Smart modern Hotel' concept. It kind of sits in the middle not knowing what it wants to be - is it a guest house - is it a hotel - well no really - it's more like the Crossroads Motel.
In the sitting areas, bar and restaurant there is little or no ambience , personality or atmosphere of any kind. All conversation was in muted whispers with no background music.
The staff whilst plentiful were obviously without training. Please don't get me wrong - they were lovely people who tried their hardest but very lacking in the know how of serving customers.
Did we enjoy ourselves - yes we did 100%!! - but we all left thinking "What a shame the hotel doesnt make the best of what it has to offer""

• Travel date: Sun 25th of November 2007

Old, tatty and a breakfast to die for........

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"On arriving at this hotel to check in i approached the reception desk to find about five people waiting and ringing the reception attention bell. After waiting for ten minutes a girl came from the bar to see what all the fuss was about, on telling her we were here to check in she said she was unable to help us and would need to get someone else, this is when to much of my amazement that a man appeared he was sat in the office all along. He then proceeded with our check in, much to his obvious annoyance, he was very rude and unwelcoming.

Once we were finally shown to our room, which we were told would be of small size (attic space), we unpacked. The room was very old fashioned and tatty and the bathroom well shower room was of a green colour which needed a lot of maitenance and work doing. This is not expected in a three star establishment.

If all this was not enough the next morning we went down for breakfast, i ordered a full english with fried egg and my partner ordered full with scramble egg. The breakfast arrived amazingly quickly, which rang alarm bells straight away, when the waiter put down the plate i could not believe my eyes. The food was swirling around in a thick black liquid that was coming from the completely black mushrooms???? The sausage smelt funny, definetly brought from a supermarket value range. My partners scrambled egg was not even of scramble egg colour or consistency, it was completely solid, i dread to think what it would of tasted of....

When the waiter came to ask us if we were ok, i asked him politely if he would of eaten what was on my plate, bless him he said no and apologised and took the food away. I do not know how this hotel has one rosette for its food, the chef needs to go back to college and stop cutting corners."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of October 2007

brilliant hotel well worth the money good!no bloody excellent food.

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We have stayed at Mayfield House on a number of times and have found the ambience just right .excellent food, the staff cant be faulted nothing was to much trouble.You would have to go a very long way to find a hotel as good as this one is.
Chris and Max have worked hard over the years to create a home from home attmosphere.
Have no hesitation in recommending this give it a try you will not be dissapointed.
The Houlton Family"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of January 2007

A perfect break

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Just returned from a 'last minute' break at the Mayfield House Hotel, Crudwell, Nr Malmesbury, Wiltshire, UK (part of the Best Western group).

Superb 24 bedroom hotel. 7 miles from Cirencester. (Premier) room very comfortable - although the green chairs didn't go with the rest of the decor! Food was excellent - at least 6-7 choices within each course, even if it was a fixed price menu, but it did allow you to pay a supplement for something extra special.

Friendly staff. The two Managers were very helpful. On our departure we asked to see other ground floor rooms for elderly parents - no problem - they even printed off a list of all rooms with individual facilities within.

Would highly recommend this hotel.

Must visit : Malmesbury Abbey and Abbey Gardens; and wonderful church at Fairford with medieval stained glass windows."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of October 2004