Good

Lovely atmosphere, good beer, good food

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"The newly re-opened Methuen is much improved, airy and light but with character and lovely staff. we went for sunday lunch, very good choice of meals. Would recommend."

• Travel date: 2nd April 2011

Sunday Lunch

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"A lovely Srping day on Sunday 20th March that was made extra special by the wonderful Sunday Lunch. We walkied in off the street and were greeted and looked after straight away. Both my partner and I had the Topside of Beef. The meat was beautiful, the veggies, particularly the Carrots and Cabbage delish. The Yorkies and Roast spuds some of the best i have tasted outside of my own kitchen. The Restaraunt staff were attentive without being fussy. The dining area was spacious and at no stage did we feel rushed. Value for money..... Ok it is a little expensive but the food is great. Only downside... 1 small glass of Chardonney over £5.00!!! Paul Thompson"

• Travel date: 21st March 2011

A great addition to Corsham's restaurants

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"We visit friends in Corsham about once a year and were very impressed with this new addition to Corsham's possibilities for our Saturday night out. The food was delicious and the prices reflected the standard in our view. The decor is very tasteful and although the staff were extremely busy the service was friendly and competent."

• Travel date: 21st February 2011

A work in progress

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"I was very excited about going to the recently re-opened Methuen Arms for a meal. The building has been lovingly re-decorated and the room that our party ate in was warm and cosy. I have to say that I found the staff to be friendly and pleasant. However, in my opinion, the food is overpriced for what you get! I have no problem with paying £30 (excluding drinks) for a three course meal - but if I am paying this, I have certain expectations. The starter was delicious, a mushroom and goat's cheese bruschetta. However, my main course, a vegetarian cannelloni, disappointed. It came alone - no side salad, which would have been a welcome touch. Also, it looked rather anaemic, no nicely browned parmesan on the top. Furthermore, it was mouth-burningly hot - suggesting it had been in a microwave. Dessert was a passable sticky toffee pudding - but it was no better than a 'pub grub' pud! Finally, one of the most heinous crimes was serving me a glass of unchilled pinot grigio. Service was attentive and swift. I have the impression that 'The Methuen Arms' wants to be more than a gastro pub - but at the prices being charged here, a little more attention to detail is required if a loyal clientele is to be created."

• Travel date: 13th February 2011

Snobs

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"Food lovely tad over priced but please sort the staff and managers out snotty look down there noises at you put me off going again back to Cininmom i go."

• Travel date: 12th February 2011

Outstanding - a fantastic new restaurant

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"We held an offsite strategy meeting here with senior managers. The meeting room was ideal and we were well looked after by the staff. The buffet lunch and afternoon tea were both first class. We had a private supper in "The Snug" and we were all impressed with the food and the service. The steaks were fantastic and recommended to anyone who enjoys good honest food. We will be back again to try the rest of the mouthwatering menu....... hurry up with the rooms please so I can stay overnight next time."

• Travel date: 28th January 2011

A Frustrating Experience

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"On arrival all looked promising, staff were welcoming and polite and the dining areas have atmosphere. Our soup starters were fine, could have been a touch warmer perhaps but otherwise enjoyable. However, when we realised other diners who had arrived much later than us were being served main courses or desserts while we were still waiting for our own main courses we realised something was amiss. After a lengthy wait a member of staff advised us that the 'ticket' for our meals had been lost and they would be served shortly. About ten minutes later they arrived but with no potatoes or vegetables. We asked for these and a portion of potatoes and veg for one person was brought to the table about five minutes later. Enquiries revealed that if you order a fish dish on a Sunday potatoes are not served and the only vegetables offered is the small amount of garnishing that the fish comes with. When asked if we had enjoyed our meals we pointed out that the loss of order and lack of accompaniments had been rather disappointing. At this point a small reduction to the rather hefty charge was made. The fish, when it came, was actually very tasty but I'm completely baffled as to why they are not prepared to serve it with potatoes or a few vegetables. As The Methuen is not a cheap place to dine I don't think this would be an unreasonable expectation."

• Travel date: 23rd January 2011

Lovely

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"Went here for our works Christmas dinner one evening. We were put on a big table at the front of the hotel in a room to ourselves. It was lovely, food was excellent and the staff were fab. Will def return"

• Travel date: 29th December 2010

Really good food, organised, clean with attentive and friendly staff

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"Went in for lunch today, it was very welcoming with very attentive and friendly staff. The food was really very good, service was just right. Good value for money and I will definitely be returning. The Meutheun has only just reopened and I have a feeling it will be a very welome addition to Corsham, book early!"

• Travel date: 23rd November 2010