The Queens - Leeds

City Square, Leeds LS1 1PJ England

Happppy easter

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We checked in to this hotel that we had visited 2 years ago, and WOW what a difference. The staff were fantastic, the redecoration was outstanding, and the service was first class. Very clean, welcoming hotel. Usually stay with another large hotel comapany in leeds when on business but will be moving after we had a great easter break -thanks ."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of April 2006

Step back in time

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"Step back in time to the Art Deco period at the Queens in Leeds. Large, very professionally run Hotel right by the train station and adjacent to the excellent shopping centre. On the plus side are room size, room amenities, general ambience of the public rooms, general cleanliness and helpful staff - minuses are the scrum at breakfast-time and length of time to check in and out at busy periods. Overall, ideally situated for either business or retail therapy - would certainly stay there again."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of November 2005

Central location, secure parking

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Slightly bizarre art deco styling. Our refurbished deluxe twin room was amply sized, although quite dusty where the beds had been parted. Corners and behind doors similarly needed a vacuum. Otherwise the room was satisfactory and at a reasonable rate.

At the time of arrival, the entrance to the hotel was overrun with people out on the town for the night - could have done with greater presence from the hotel staff, especially as parking on the layby is so limited.

Staff are inconsistent - mainly friendlier and more helpful than usual, but our concierge was extremely surly and made us feel scared to approach him. Breakfast is around £8.50 and have no complaints. Underground parking is via the concierge (as secure as it gets for city centre) £9.50 weekends, £12/£12.50 during the week. Room service menu very pricey (£16 for a tikka masala)"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of September 2005

Very Disappointing

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"I checked into this hotel on Saturday 6 August for 2 nights. After a very long wait at the reception desk I was given a room on the 4th floor. The lifts were shabby and took a long time to arrive. The corridors are certainly art deco - but very dark and depressing.
The room was large but looked like it was last refurbished in the 1950s - and hadn't been touched since. It had two (old) wooden tables and a very old, dirty, smelly wardrobe that hadn't been swept out in years. I wouldn't have liked to put any clothes in it. The bathroom had two toilet rolls and each one had about 10 sheets of paper. There was no in-room safe. I phoned reception to confirm that I was still in a 4 star hotel and after a very long wait was told that some of the rooms have been refurbished and others were refurbished a few years ago (which is completely the opposite of the web site which states that the whole hotel has been refurbished).
The second room I was given was smaller but was slightly better. I thought "refurbished" meant that the room would have new furniture but it is just the old furniture with a lick of paint. The air conditioning worked well and this room did have all the facilities that were advertised.
The staff were always helpful and polite and the breakfast was well cooked and presented.
Children were running wild around the reception area and along the hotel corridors (which is not the fault of the hotel but it shows the type of people who stay there).
I was expecting more from the £10 million refurbishment (i.e. a 4 star hotel) but was extremely disappointed with my room and would never stay there again."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of August 2005

A Real Contender

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"I stay in Leeds regularly, at least one night a week and have tried most of the 4 & 5 star hotels in the last 6 months. Back in 2004 I stayed at the Queens and resolved not to do so again as it was shabby and outdated.

A couple of weeks ago I had a dilema as there was a shortage of accommodation in Leeds and I was left to choose between the Queens and the Novotel. Friends had told me that the Queens had been refurbished so I thought I would try it out.

I was very impressed with the work that has been done and found my room to be comfortable, spacious and clean. The new air conditioning was an excellent bonus too.

Since then I have stayed at the Queens 3 times and have received good service and comfortable accommodation each time. The true executive rooms are nicer than the standard and have had a full bathroom refurb.

In all, I think that the Queens is now a real contender within the Leeds hotel selection.

I have booked again for next week and it had better be excellent beacuse I'm taking the family with me!"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of August 2005

excellent location

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"Stayed one night only for business. Booked last minute so got a good deal. Very spacious rooms, clean and really nice bathroom.
Excellent location. Would have no doubt about staying again on future trips."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2005

Restored back to its former glory, with an Art Deco twist!

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Have stayed at the leeds a few times, but that was over 3 years ago.

Having read reports on here (and I trust tripadvisor reviews) was a little concerned about booking a return to this hotel. Didn't need to worry.

Checked in and was greeted by a very friendly lady who had me checked in with keys issued within 5 minutes!. Reception used to look dated, but now has a fresh look.

Climed onbard the lift, up to 7th floor. Hallways do take you by surprise in their design, but it is very cool! Got to the room, opened the door, WHAT A ROOM! Black leather headboard, art deco lamps and desk.......bathroom small but everything you need. Room was fantastic, can't fault it at all.

The ONLY let down was the breakfast which we had delivered to the room. Then again, if I have to be truthful, I can't honestly say that I have a a good breakfast in ANY hotel I have stayed in, and I have been in 2 stars to 5 stars!

Had a great stay at the queens, and got a great rate too. Will be back!"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of June 2005

Better than expected

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Stayed here with a group of friends recently, and our stay was more than satisfactory. My room was a very spacious twin, recently upgraded, and with nice bathroom. The location is perfect for Leeds night life, but not too noisy at night due to the secondary glazing- although this means you can't open the windows for some fresh air. The 11 am checkout was my only quibble."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of May 2005

Oh dear!

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"I spent ages on the net checking out reviews of various hotels, and despite the issues raised on this site, I tried to counter them by doing my own questioning of the hotel in advance. I found the cheapest place to get a room at the Queens via the Yorkshire Tourist website, and got a suite for £79.00 pnight. I checked in advance to make sure I knew exactly what the hotel meant by 'executive suite' and was told that this meant a large double room, with a queen size bed, and a separate living area with sofa and television. I was also told that all executive suites had been redecorated first so that the terrible decor described in some other reviews would be avoided. We arrived and were given a key to room 520. When we entered the room it was plainly a bog standard double. I called reception and queried this, and someone said they'd phone back. They did and told me that there'd been a mistake and I should have been given an executive double room. Luckily there was a map on the back of the door showing that there were some bigger rooms but that still weren't suites. I called again, and politely explained that I had made sure I'd got a definition of suite before we'd paid for the weekend, and suite was what we had paid for and what we wanted. Luckily we'd printed off and kept the receipt from the web-booking as they asked us to bring it downstairs so they could take a copy of it. This was all very confusing. We couldn't decide whether it had been a genuine mistake, or whether, because we didn't look like affluent Americans, that they were going to chance their arm.

We went back to reception, and were very polite and friendly, but the reception staff got a little flustered about the situation. However, we did eventually get to have a suite. The room has been refurbished, like most of the hotel - however - it looks like they've done 'Art Deco' via B&Q, it nods its head in the direction of 'Art Deco' but certainly is not an authentic attempt to give this once grand hotel a boost.

Location wise, yes it is in the centre of Leeds, but Leeds isn't huge so other hotels would perhaps be more 'grand'. Certainly Malmaison and 42 The Calls are grander - and accordingly more expensive. I suppose it depends on what you want. The room was comfortable, and spacious, and for £79 a night, it was very reasonable - so long as you get what you paid for.

They do seem to have a weird practice of coming round first thing in the morning on your last morning to check the mini bar. We'd ordered a wake up call at 9.30, and at 9.40 someone was banging on the door to check the mini bar. House keeping also turned up at 9.45 to clean the room when we weren't checking out until 11am. This was a bit irritating. The extra facilities were very expensive - breakfast is a whopping £14.50 - don't bother! There are tons of cafes in town to get a much cheaper version. The films available were rather expensive at £7.95 per film, and the playstation games were an extortiante £2.95 per half hour you play. I grew rather suspicious as the price was displayed at the bottom of the screen around the £2.95 price tag, was so small it was unreadable. That's an incredible price and obviously where they're trying to make back the money spent on the refurb.

I would possibly stay there again, but would once again be vigilant about the detail of the stay, and make sure they are aware of exactly what I'm expecting. Go via the Yorkshire Tourist website for the best price too."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of May 2005

Nicely Refurbished

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Stayed for one night on business. Arrived after midnight - welcome was fine. Security, such a feature of British hotels after dark wasn't too oppressive and the front desk were efficient if a little lacking in charm. Was pleased to hear on enquiry that they are now only selling refurbished rooms - the final floors of their refurbishment are under way and those rooms out of use. The public area has been nicely restored to an Art Deco look. I had requested a non-smoking room and they gave me a smoking room but it had been nicely redecorated with a stylish, although small bathroom, and a very comfortable bed with stylish built in lights and good linen.

A few quibbles. The TV system clearly hasn't been updated yet - the info guide is out of date and very limited. It is ludicrous that a 4 star hotel has no news channel on the TV. I had to fiddle around with the wires on phone and the TV to get them worked - they should have been checked. A printed guide to the hotel would have at least told guests what facilities were available - and what restaurants there were. One bath towel in the bathroom is rather limited and the spare I found in the wardrobe was rather grubby. The room though was rather nicely done and a little different to the usual cookie-cutter chains which was nice.

Breakfast was pretty grim and no better than in a two or three star property and rather worse than, say, a Hilton. The basement room is dark even if recently decorated. The staff had limited English and the buffet was very limited with mediocre quality produce. No one offered me a drink - very poor rubbery toast just appeared. Hotels like this need to do more than just get the designers in they need to follow through on detail like breakfast. Also although we were on a b and b rate my colleague was told breakfast was not included and missed out. Checkout was friendly and efficient.

Overall this is a nicely refurbished hotel in a superb location attached to the station if you are travelling by train. But if you see a room only rate take it better breakfast is easily had."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of April 2005

I had stayed at this hotel in previous y...

Reviewed Tue 7th of February 2006

"I had stayed at this hotel in previous years. However since its £10 Million Pound refurb and new management, I have to say the Hotel is now absolutely fantastic. They seem to have gone deco and it suits the hotel and the city fantastically.

The Breakfast I had was delicious. Anybody who stayed at the Hotel pre June 2006 should go again as it has now been completely refurbed and looks great."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of February 2006

This is possibly the worst hotel I have...

Reviewed Tue 31st of May 2005

"This is possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

The accommodation is awful the rooms desperately need refurbishing, and most things are worn and do not work. The service is archaic and it would be pushed to make two stars not the supposed four it is supposed to be!

DONT STAY HERE

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2005

Hotels near The Queens - Leeds

Stayed at The Queens - Leeds? Share your insight.

The Queens - Leeds is also called