Good

Avoid!

Reviewed Fri 8th of July 2016

"I never thought I'd be one of those people writing a bad review. I'm a hiker, an outdoors person. I've stayed in quirky campsites and backpackers. But when you pay to stay in a big as hotel you don't want to find that not one single light works in your room. They won't let you order room service and put it on your room. So I had bathed already, in my pj's to relax and then i had to go down to order meal in person. Why are they offering room service at all??? They wanted cash at the door! As if I was at home ordering a pizza! I asked for a glass of Chianti they wouldn't serve it in a single, said I had to buy the whole bottle even though they had prices next to all the wines for small, large and the bottle? The man actually laughed at me when I asked for it! So I said to the man I'll have this on my room please. He gave me a table number so obviously he didn't hear. So I went back to the room and called to give me room number for food to be brought up. When I asked the man actually laughed at me and said no, we don't do that!! WiFi I thought, you have a menu in the room with room service written on it!!

Place is a joke AVOID!!"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of July 2016

Overlook Hotel!

Reviewed Wed 15th of June 2016

"Upon arriving at the Europa my fiancée and I were looking forward to a pleasant relaxing stay before jetting off to Italy. Parking was a squeeze but just possible so all well so far...then we stepped inside. The mock Spanish hacienda style was interesting at first but all this did was attract your eyes upwards towards the cobweb covered light fittings. Given the keys to our room we set off down the long corridor which was very similar to the one from The Shining. Once in the room we immediately found that the bed had not been changed, the main clue being the previous occupants nightwear crumpled under the pillow. We asked for the bed to be changed which the staff said would be done however we then found the TV didn't work either so asked for a room change which we got (they were clearly very used to complaints). The new room was ok so we went for the carvery we'd paid for... what a load of (insert expletive) that was. At this point we just had to laugh and pretend we were in an episode of Faulty Towers. From then on nothing improved, from the hairdryer that overheated to the wake up call that didn't happen. At least the taxi we ordered to take us away from this place came on time! All considered a night in the Overlook Hotel might have been preferable, at least they had a cocktail bar and staff who looked like they gave a toss!"

• Travel date: Tue 14th of June 2016

An absolute dump ! Avoid at all costs.

Reviewed Tue 2nd of February 2016

"Threadbare carpet, stains on walls, curtains and bedding. Wardrobe full of junk which didn't really matter as the doors wouldn't open properly anyway. The bathroom defies description. Plughole blocked with long hair, tiles chipped and filthy. Fittings in disgraceful condition. We did not use the shower as we felt that we would be dirtier getting out than when we got in ! Wallpaper torn in several places. TV not working. Beds lumpy, badly made and disgusting. Fluff on floors between skirting boards and carpet. Noisy hot air blower heating which would wake you up switching on and off if ever you managed to get to sleep in the first place. There was a dirty towel dumped on the floor in the outside corridor/landing when we arrived which was still there when we left.

Room was so depressing that we went to sit in the downstairs lounge area which turned out to be cold, dull and with an unpleasant ( unidentifiable ) smell.

The only good thing that about this place is that the staff in reception are pleasant.

Easily the very worst hotel we have ever stayed at. Never again !! "

• Travel date: Mon 1st of February 2016

Confirmation means nothing to them!

Reviewed Sun 3rd of February 2013

"Booked through Gatwick reservations some weeks before our stay. 6 days before we were told we were being moved to the Russ Hill.
When I asked for partail refund as they are not comparable I was told to take the swap for same price or cancel.
When I complained and said I would be making my concerns public I was told they could miraculously fit me in again, sounds like they were trying to relet my room for more money at short notice to me.
Would never use them again.

• Travel date: Thu 31st of January 2013

I wish I had read the other guy's review...

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2007

"I wish I had read the other guy's review before we went there a couple of weeks ago.

As it was out honeymoon we asked if we could have an upgrade, they did upgrade us, however as the TV had a bad reception we got moved to another suite. We decided to try out the Jacuzzi, we were appalled to see all the dead flies in the bath after we had used it, and they had obviously been hiding in the jets.

The decor was ok in the bedrooms we were in but was very grubby in the rest of the hotel i.e. bar area and restaurant. The staff were friendly apart from one receptionist who we refer to as "Helga" enough said!!!

The only thing I could recommend about the place was there burgers, they were gorgeous!

There had been some mix up between Hotelopia & them about an extra night I had booked and they seemed to blame me for this!?!

No - we shall not be back even though we did receive a very pleasant letter of apology in response to our questionnaire. We were discussing it with another couple we met on holiday and they had also stayed there and said they wouldn't be back."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of December 2007

Do not stay here. Beds appalling, in nee...

Reviewed Tue 20th of February 2007

"Do not stay here. Beds appalling, in need of redecoration and upgrading now.

I stayed here 5 years ago and it was fine. But now it is in a horrible state.

Carpets threadbare, furniture ripped, wallpaper hanging off, staff who can’t speak English.

In fact, we complained upon checking out as the bed was so bad my wife slept on the floor, we received a letter of apology but are still not happy."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of February 2007

PIG STY AT BEST

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Pig Sty whereby the Food was as good as pig swill the room service took 3 hours and then they got it wrong - Rooms were freezing and were not fit for inhabitation - someone please close this gaff i only gave it 1 star because at least the parking was ok but other than that pitch a tent at the end of gatwicks runway as even this would be an improvement. PLEASE LISTEN IM NOT PICKY BUT THIS PLACE IS A JOKE"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of February 2006

Beware of this disgusting dump and its so called ataff.

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"One night stopover.....advertised a cheap rate on Superbreak....
What can one say NOW seeing the reviews.....much too late.

A fikthy dirty tired, broken down dump where the staff are the same as the actual hotel, headt to be put down......

I am today calling BBC television Watchdog, together tiehr the 40 plus....terrivle rexiews and also the helath authorities, and I hope this dreadful will be inspected and closed......."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of January 2006

Oh Boy! Where do I Start!!!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Smelly, disgusting, bad old deco, hummed, dirty mouldy bathrooms. Try to find your room is like going down a rat maze. What a waste of money!"

• Travel date: Mon 16th of January 2006

Sleepless in West Sussex!!

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"We decided to stay at this hotel the night before our depature as we had a 3.30am check in at gatwick. Unfortunately we did not manage to sleep at all due to being given a room with an adjoinging door which mean't that every word said and movement made, no matter how small, was heard as if it occurred in our room.
The hotel was not clean, the bed sheets were dirty and the curtains were falling down. The carpet and furniture smelt and there was damp and mould in the bathroom. The swimming pool was freezing and the staff unfriendly.

Avoid at all costs!!"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of January 2006

Hated the place, avoid this hotel!

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Most of reviews absolutely correct! Stayed here for one night enroute to an early morning flight to Cyprus, to save us driving to Gatwick in the middle of the night. wish we had! Arrived about 8pm night before our flight, looking forward to a nice warm bath or shower, NO hot water. In morning, again no hot water, not even hot enough to have a wash, hate washing in winter in cold water. Car park very badly lit, had to park our car WAY round the back, freezing cold night. No opportunity to off load our cases at reception. Won`t use it again!!!! Rooms very shabby, beds felt like they had been slept in before us with same linen!"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of December 2005

Would be better off sleeping in your car. A horrible place!

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"This was the last hotel we stayed in after a great week and a half in the UK. Sadly this place ended it on a sour note.

- smells disgusting (curry and mold combined?)
- decor is out of some bad 70's era motel
- Hotels rating system is completely misleading and should not be trusted as they gave this 3 stars
- parking lot was a zoo, we were lucky to find parking

Bottom line: A dump at any price. I wouldn't stay there for free."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of October 2005

Hotels near Europa Gatwick Hotel

Top traveller tips for Europa Gatwick Hotel

• wight light by wight light

"Unless it is given a thorough good clean and a refit, our tip would be to drive past without stopping. "

Europa Gatwick Hotel is also called