Farmer, Butcher, Chef at The Goodwood Hotel

British with Marriott comforts

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"As Americans, we were looking for a British manor style hotel in the country with the comforts of a Marriott. We definitely found this at Goodwood. Located on a very small unmarked road, you might drive past it were it not for the Marriott sign. All personnel were very friendly saying hello walking past you in the hallways. A couple of staff members at the desk seemed to have been there only a short time and had no knowledge of the area(i.e., houses to visit).We had dinner in the formal restaurant(Richmond Room). The service and food were excellent. Had tea, drinks and a cheese platter in the bar/casual restaurant. Service and food were good. The room was very comfortable with marble bathroom floors, mini-bar, TV, ironing board, hairdrdyer, all the makings for tea, cookies given everyday, etc. Thankfully, there is no airconditionning. We could actually open the window with a view of grass and greenery. We stayed for one week, taking day trips between Salisbury and Brighton. We were there strictly for pleasure, to get to know that part of England."

• Travel date: 21st May 2006

Very poor management

Reviewed 9th October 2012

"Stayed at this hotel last year. The room was adequate but nothing special. However, this place has very poor noise insulation. At 12am the TV from next door was very noisy. I had to complain and eventually this was resolved after 15mins. At 3am there was banging noise from next door as the couple were in a big argument next door. The man was swearing at the top of his voice to his wife and there were banging noise as well (sounds like someone kicking furniture around). This lasted around an hour and I was too tired to complain (not surprising since i was woken up at 12am). Complained to manager following morning, did not bother to do anything about it. Written to the hotel as well but was ignored. I dont need to describe the rest of the service at the hotel. My advice is to avoid this hotel at all costs."

• Travel date: 12th May 2006

Follow up to my previous review

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"Heklo again, I wrote the review of the leisure centre bar/restaurant dated 31st January and thought I'd do a follow-up... Service has not really improved at all I'm afraid to say - Last week me and my wife ordered a platter of snacks with 'four dips' for two to share. First, no dips turned up so I went over to the waitress to ask for them, but before I could say anything she asked me in broken English to remind her of the drinks order she had taken from me not more than two minutes ago! Anyway, the dips duly arrived shortly after - a splodge of each one arranged in the same bowl, all nicely mixing together and looking like some abstract art piece. My wife took the bowl back and happened to catch the eye of the Restaurant Manager who was suitably aghast too and took it back to the kitchen. When THREE dips turned up in separate small bowls we just could not be bothered to ask where the fourth was! Two days ago I was walking back from the swimming pool changing rooms behind a middle-aged couple who had struck up a conversation and were generally bemoaning how standards and food quality in the bar had slipped - they lady was saying that a long time ago the bar used to serve a whole range of delightful snacks and you often had to queue for a table, but now the place is barely half full much of the time. I can say in all honesty that every time I hear someone talking about this place the comments are always negative. I also caught sight of the results of the Nov 2005 customer survey on a notice board and one of the comments posted was about the quality of the service and food - nothing seems to have been done about this despite the promises. COME ON GOODWOOD PARK MARRIOTT LEISURE CENTRE - sort out the service - maybe employ some more staff who have English as a first language? And PLEASE do something about the menu - it's boring, bland and you get better stuff at a Beefeater. You are supposed to be a relatively sophisticated establishment but really, the leisure centre bar/restaurant menu is dire - if we now want some food after a swim we tend to pop back to Chichester Town Centre."

• Travel date: 27th April 2006

Goodwood Marriott

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"The food and service at dinner was excellent. There was a problem with the door to the patio-it rattled and a terrible draft came through and this was in an upgraded room. I plugged the draft with newspapers! as the rattling started at night. If we had been aware of the problem during the day I have no doubt the matter would have been resovled, the staff were lovely."

• Travel date: 27th March 2006

Loved the cocktail bar

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"Lovely country hotel in a fabulous setting. It had a very homely feel, with nice comfy lounges and wonderful leisure facilities. I liked the room we had very much (although the bathroom was slightly grotty), and the food and service were great. Would definitely recommend."

• Travel date: 15th March 2006

Good and bad

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"room/bed was poor, minibar was ludicrous prices. I was staying here for a residential training course, and even allowing for the problems related to trying to feed 50 people at the same time, the food was lousy. A couple of the staff were great, but some were quite rude. The facilities are great - good free gym and swimming pool / hottub. Would I come back? nope..."

• Travel date: 10th March 2006

Overall good hotel

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"Staff lovely All public areas of hotel nicely decorated Rooms all having new ultra-soft bedding which is amazing Standard rooms a little small Mini bar expensive Grounds and facilities excellent Restaurant - one meal below average, one meal excellent, staff nice but when it's busy they could do with some help. Expensive for its quality, £40 for the 3 course set meal which was OK-ish. Great location Breakfast is good - lots of choice and all very tasty."

• Travel date: 25th September 2005

Good facilities - not afraid to charge

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"We stayed there from Thursday evening until Sunday. It has gret facilities including a golf course, gym, swimming pool, tennis courts and decent rooms. Overall it is an above average hotel however it does also charge you for this. A can of pepsi (coke not an option) in the mini bar is £2.20 for example. In addition, the Sports Bar/Cafe does a very ordinary bar style menu with salads, sandwiches, steaks etc but the pricing is higher than the standard of the food deserves. Overall though, rooms were good, staff were friendly and generally helpful. Pricing was a little high in our opinion."

• Travel date: 21st August 2005

Very Nice

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Stayed at the Marriott Goodwood Hotel & Country Club for 5 nights in March. Modern hotel in nice setting in woodlands near Goodwood House. Only stayed on b&b basis so cannot say about dinners, but breakfast was more than enough with a great selection (mostly buffet). Room was really nice and spacious (deluxe double). Staff were most friendly. Can't complain about it. The new section with the pool and health and beauty was great and would definitely recommend."

• Travel date: 18th July 2005

Loved it

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We arrived mid afternoon on a Friday and were met by a very helpful receptionist. Checked in and then checked out the Pool and Spa. The fitness facilities are probably the best I've ever seen in any hotel Worldwide.. locals pay a vast sum to join the Fitness club yet it's included in the price of your room!! Service is fantastic. Rooms very spacious, very well appointed, with everything you could hope for in a hotel of this class.. we went out into Chichester for the evening and staff ordered a taxi, chasing it up after 10 minutes as it hadn't arrived yet... restaurant food was superb, I believe the chef has recently won some awards and I'm not surprised..richly deserved. All in all a place I would recommend to anyone wanting that special break away."

• Travel date: 26th January 2004