Norfolk Arms Hotel

22 High Street, Arundel BN18 9AB England

Friendly, clean, interesting building

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

"We were very pleased with our stay . We stayed in the original part of the hotel. The staff were friendly Sylvia on reception made us very welcome. Our room was good value, clean, comfortable bed , spotless bathroom, slept well. In the morning we were pleasantly surprised with the choice at breakfast , again great value. Shall come again , & would recommend
Thank you .."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of October 2018

Another happy break at Norfolk Arms

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"We stayed overnight with dinner simply because we like the hotel and area. Our room was comfortable and clean as always. Dinner was excellent and good value. Some staff changes since our last visit but this did not matter as all staff seem to have a positive attitude. We are always made welcome and immediately feel at home. Looking forward to our second new years eve party at the hotel this year."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of October 2009

Shabby chic?

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Four of us arrived on Bank Holiday Sunday looking for a B&B to stay in for one night only. Having called in at two other hotels, we were advised that there were some rooms still available at the Norfolk Arms.

We were surprised to learn that there were in fact about half a dozen rooms still available and that they were being discounted from £130 to £100 per room per night including breakfast. This was at the very top end of our planned budget but we decided to stay put. The main Hotel looked very nice with traditional, if slightly shabby, decor and there was ample off street parking available for our beloved cars. It was also very central - adjacent to the castle, local pubs and restaurants - and so was ideal for walking around the town. So far so good.

Unfortunately, we were given two rooms in a relatively modern single storey annexe at the rear of the hotel which, although very clean, were in desperate need of cosmetic updating. Judging from the brown tiles in the bathrooms and single fluorescent lighting strip across the top of the mirror (the only light in the bathroom), along with the other dated light fittings and faded wallpaper in the bedroom, we did wonder if the £100 we were paying was justified.

We made the decision to eat out and returned to our hotel at around 10.50pm to find the hotel reception area in complete darkness. We had been advised at check in by the very efficient receptionist that there should be someone available to open the bar later if we required a drink, but since we couldn't find anyone, we reluctantly decided to go to bed.

Since the night was warm, we needed to leave our bedroom windows open to let some air in. Unfortunately the security lights outside were constantly on, and these did keep us awake to the point where my husband actually got dressed at 1.30am to go for a walk down to the river! The open windows also meant that other people leaving early the next morning woke us up since we were so close to the car park.

At breakfast the next day in the main hotel, although there was ample food selection on the menu, two of our breakfasts arrived with different choices to those we had picked and another arrived with a hair on the plate. An additional waitress to assist the poor girl trying to cope single-handedly might have avoided these mistakes. (We noticed that we weren't the only people sending plates back to the kitchen.) Also, small touches like a tablecloth and real napkins (not paper) would have justified the price and setting.

All in all a disappointing experience which could so easily have been more pleasant. I would suggest requesting rooms in the main hotel, although I can't comment on their quality or facilities."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of August 2008

Vastly overpriced

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"My husband booked this just a couple of days in advance.
First the negatives....our premier £145 room was at the top of many stairs (no lift). The large room's decor was enough to give you a headache with large floral print on all walls and matching print on the heavy draped curtains. The window sills were rotting and the furniture old. Depressing is putting it lightly. We asked to be moved and the staff were nice enough and offered us the annexe area which had a modern, clean room at £135, really worth about £80 top whack. However, it was an okay stay and as it was just for one night it was fine. Worth thinking about Arundel House if you book in advance but we had no luck as it was full.
The castle is fantastic, the wetlands definitely only if you are a big duck enthusiast."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of August 2008

way over priced

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We booked via the internet and were contacted by a member of staff that there were no standard rooms available only deluxe for which there would be a supplement. That was not a problem until we experienced the deluxe room. The room itself was ok, very large well equiped and as being a period property you would expect old style furniture but the windows were filthy with dead flies and cobwebs. The bathroom was simply appalling, the wind howled through the sash window so it was freezing cold, the shower came out with a dribble and the whole thing just needed replacing icluding bath basin and toilet. It was grim. There were dirty glases left in our room for the entire stay. The food in the Hotel was very nice and the staff were lovely but the bar service on the friday night was terrible as there was a party and simply not enough staff to cope. I had to ask for a cloth and cleaned a table so that we could put our drinks on it not what you expect when you are residents. We complained on departure and the manageress made a deduction but I think all the Forestdale Hotels are going downhill fast. I was not very impressed the last time I stayed at the Burley in the New Forest."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of June 2008

Over priced

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Booked a deluxe room here for one of the nights of the Arundel Festival to see Level 42.

The hotel location was great, right in the middle of the town which had on a street fayre every day during the bank holiday and walking distrance from the castle.

Very disappointed with the room. Paid £140, got a fair sized room but it was really shoddy with a dubious four poster bed. The bathroom was in an appauling state and did tell reception on leaving. I suppose that we should have kicked up a stink on arrival but as in a rush to get to out to the evening, didn't have time. The girl on reception was lovely and really helpful.

If they are going to charge those sorts of prices, they need to invest some money in the rooms.

Music was only advised on arrival but as out until after midnight, didn't affect us.

Breakfast was plate service, again, very standard and not overly generous with the portions.

Location wise I would stay here again for the festival but otherwise, avoid!"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of September 2007

A comfortable & friendly hotel

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Every year I organise a school reunion. The Norfolk Arms proved to be an excellent venue in every respect. The staff in particular went out of their way to be helpful. For example the 'lads' wanted to stay up late to chat, as they do, the only problem was the bar closes at 11pm. The Manageress on duty made sure that the bar stayed open longer to serve guests and when she eventually went off duty made arrangements for us to bleep the night porter if we required service from the bar. The food was very good indeed and the portions, if anything, too generous, but that is not a complaint. Overall I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough; the whole experience was very rewarding. Other hotels take note!"

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of March 2007

Dirty smelly bedrooms

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Avoid room 9 which was offered to us for a one night stay, booked 6 weeks in advance to attend a reunion of mostly 60 year olds. This room appears not to have been decorated in a very long time, with yellowing paint, carpet on the bathrrom floor and bore no resemblence to the room pictured on the hotel web site. We were offered and accepted room 113 in the annexe and on first appearence this seemed an improvement but the carpet was badly stained, the bathroom tiles chipped and broken, the basin tap faulty and you were left with the feeling that everything had been wiped down with the same dirty rag and to top it all off after being in bed for a while the aroma of previous guests permiated from the duvet and mattress. The accommodation gives the impression that the hotel is one step away from closure."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of February 2007

Very respectable hotel

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"I stayed here the night of the 4th sept 2006 with my boyfirend. we needed a clean place to stay in the centre so we could visit the castle and the cathedral for my birthday. I have to say that it was fabulous. the staff were wonderful, especially the bellboy. they were so welcoming and accomadating. As part of our room, we had a complemantary full english, and as a vegetarian i was dubious about what i would eat; but they were brilliant. i had a veggie sausage and everything how i wanted it. Quite honestly this was such a wonderful stay, and i would reccomend this to anyone- and dont leave out time to have a bath or adopt a family of ducks....it is a very sweet hotel. You could quite happily bring anyone here. parking is very good and they have disabled facilities, 10/10!"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of October 2006

Not worth the money

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"The first room in the modern block would have been expensive at £65, let alone the £125 they wanted. It reminded me of student digs and the hotel has to either refurbish or drop the price considerably. Staff were willing to help, and the premium room they gave us in the old building was much more spacious and comfortable, but the cold dribble of a shower put a dampener on this one also. There are much nicer places to stay in Arundel that are much better value, which is probably why they were all full!"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Friendly staff

Reviewed Wed 13th of November 2013

"I stayed for 3 days in a single room. It was on the top floor at the end of the corridor and eerie. On mentioning this the staff was not surprised I had picked up on the eerie feeling. A couple of odd things happened ,tapping on an outside wall, a wardrobe door that opened itself and wouldn't close at night, but did in the day, TV switching on and off. The staff said I am not the only one who has mentioned "things". Researching the Hotel on my return on poltergeists it has shown up! I agree the decor is tired, there were big cracks in the ceiling, the furniture was scratched, but the staff are friendly and very accommodating. I had to leave at 6.30 am and the night porter went out his way to make me tea and toast so I didn't miss breakfast. Mobile phone reception is poor. Would I stay again? Yes I would, but I'd definitely want to take my dog with me!! "

• Travel date: Sun 10th of November 2013

Hotels near Norfolk Arms Hotel

Stayed at Norfolk Arms Hotel? Share your insight.

Norfolk Arms Hotel is also called