Good

There must be better places to stay in the area

Reviewed Fri 25th of January 2013

"A friend of ours got married here so we booked a room for convenience. Lovely setting and a lovely day. Our room was less lovely - grubby, lights not working and worst of all damp! It felt like the bed needed a really good airing, the windows to be opened for some fresh air to come in and a good lick of paint and thorough cleaning. Breakfast was poor quality - what tasted like powdered egg and ropey sausages. Given the way this place markets itself and the price we paid, we weren't impressed. The receptionist asked for our comments saying 'we need to know if there's a problem' but didn't offer an apology or seem particularly surprised/bothered. If you want a special retreat in the country, don't pick Wroxall Abbey."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of August 2008

Very English

Reviewed Thu 24th of January 2013

"My husband and I stayed in a room in the mansion for one night for a wedding recently and were very impressed. We paid £135 for the night which is considerably more than other hotels in the area but we felt it was worth it. The room (#78) was enormous, more like a suite with antique furniture and a huge marbled bathroom with lovely power shower. My only complaint was that the air conditioning didnt work, and as it was a hot summers evening it was quite uncomfortable. It's set in stunning grounds, there's a pretty, old chapel and a huge sweeping driveway - perfect backdrop for wedding photos. My husband used the spa and said it was very nice with a big pool."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of August 2008

Loved it!!!!

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Myself and my partner stayed at Wroxall for 1 night at the beginning of the month and were really impressed.

Location - is very convenient as it is only 12 miles away from the NEC and Birmingham airport. As you approach the hotel there is a long driveway with fields either side and animals in them - very idyllic.

Rooms - we stayed in the mansion which I would higly recommend. The rooms cost more than the next door Abbey court but are far superior. We stayed in the Japanese room which has beautiful views over the ground and a big four poster bed, which was extremely comfortable.

Staff - were lovely, really friendly and helpful. Very importantly they bring your drinks quickly!! We received great service throughout our stay and couldn't fault it.

Food & drink - good selection of wine at reasonable prices. Myself and my partner are both "foodies" so like a good quality of food and we weren't disappointed! The food was beautiful with lots of fresh produce and plenty of choice.

Access - has 2 lifts within the mansion and a wide entrance with a ramp for disabled guests or guests with wide baby buggies.

In a nutshell I would highly recommend this hotel for the convenient and beautiful location, good service and good quality food. If you aren't on a tight budget I would recommend staying in a mansion room rather than in the abbey."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of July 2008

Not What It Should Be

Reviewed Sun 20th of January 2013

"I visited this hotel because my husband had his work's summer ball here. We stayed two nights which was booked through the company but for the money quoted we were assured that we would be staying in a Mansion Room. What a disappointment! We were placed in the Court part of the hotel in what could only be described as a broom cupboard. It was accessed via a creaky staircase and down a small dark passage. We were at the end, in the 'fruit room'. The room was dark and oppressive and filled with old tatty furniture that they were trying to pass of as 'old and antique' it was more charity shop. There were no drawers of any reasonable size to put clothing in as they had supplied an old writing desk instead. The only drawer in the wardrobe which was really an old cupboard, was filled with old linen. As this was a summer ball we were attending, I had no where to hang my dress so it had to hang up in the bathroom! The view from the small window was of two gas cylinders in amongst brambles and stinging nettles. The other window was a small skylight that was impossible to see out of.

The bistro was closed so we ate in the hotel. Be warned, an average steak dinner with a starter for £15.95 seems fair, but then they add £3.95 each for having steak then another 10% on top for service charge! The waiter wipped my meal away before I finished my steak! Drinks pricey but it is a hotel in the middle of nowhere. Grounds are overgrown but they are in the process of trying to renovate. Charming little chapel in grounds for them to utlilise for the wedding market.

The food was excellent at the summer ball and I couldnt praise them highly enough for the service etc. Downside was the rooms were poor, not worth the money and need to be knocked together to make one decent size one. I was informed by another couple that we were actually staying in one of the larger rooms in the Court! They are all themed, you might be lucky and get the sports themed one or even the Fish!

Breakfast was okay, nothing special but adequate.

Dont stay here unless you are attending a function as you could do so much better for the money.

Wroxall was formerly a girls private school, so what I would say is 4/10 must try harder!"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of June 2008

Has potential

Reviewed Mon 31st of December 2012

"I booked this hotel as a treat to me and my fiancee as we were going to an exhibition at the nearby NEC on sunday.

Upon our arrival we were told to book our evening meal there and then for the evening as they were running out of space in the restaurant (which turned out to be half empty in the end).

We then went up to our room, which was nicely furnished and in good condition. And then went down to the much praised spa. The pool was cold, and the sauna and steam room were both only slightly warmer than room temperature. The steam room also smelled mouldy and wasn't the kind of place I you would want to spend much time at all.

Following this we had a pleasant drink in the bar area, which was very nicely decorated, and then we had our evening meal. I found this is be average and of a 'pub grub' standard, however we did opt for the bistro menu and not the al la carte option.

The bill for two starters and two mains, with a bottle of house white, a pint of lager, a glass of house white and two coffees came to a slightly excessive £80, however the staff were pleasant and attentive and I've had worse in the past.

All in all, not a bad place, but I won't be going out of my way to stay here again, however, as mentioned here before, the grounds are exceptional and with a little work this place could be very good."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of October 2007

A bit of a disappointment

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2013

"We stayed a weekend during the summer. While we are not adverse to spending money for quality accomodation, we felt Wroxall Abbey did not provide any real value. It is a recently completed conversion of a late 19th century manor (actually a girl's school for the better part of the last century). Wren's Chapel, and some ruins on the grounds provide some great history, but the actual accomodations disappoint.

First impressions were mixed. Obviously the grounds are superb, certainly befitting the 'title' of an Estate. Check-in was a bit disjointed, with two girls somewhat aimlessly wandering in and out of the 'reception' area (really just an office located down the hall from the main entrance). We had several pieces of luggage - yet there was no porter available, nor was there even an offer of a luggage trolley. We had to carry our luggage almost one hundred meters to the 'courtyard' section of rooms.

Room was tidy, but exceptionally small for double-sized accomodation. Room service was prominently promised in the guest services book (with only "30 minutes notice" required for breakfast). Imagine our suprise when we called in the morning for breakfast - only to be told that this service was not available. No mention was made at check-in, mind you. We had to hurredly arise and make our way to the food hall, only to be served a slightly soggy version of the customary full breakfast.

Dinner at the restaurant was likewise a mixed affair. Food was average in quality and selection, prices were excessive. The wine list reflected a rather limited cellar.

Beautiful grounds, probably a perfect place for an outdoors retreat or wedding. Lackluster food and accomodations. Would recommend with some hesitancy."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of October 2007

Great Stay

Reviewed Tue 1st of January 2013

"We received a really friendly welcome upon our arrival at this hotel, and this preceded a lovely stay. The room was great, the food was lovely and the staff were attentive and helpful. Additionally, the surroundings were beautiful and made for a lovely and relaxing place to have a drink on the terrace in the evening.
Make sure you make the most of the spa facilities during your stay."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of September 2007

Perfect place for wedding

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"I recently (22nd June 2007) got married at the Mansion House in Wroxall Abbey estate and cannot praise the place enough.

All of the staff are genuinely attentive and helpful, especially our own personal Elton John in the shape of the piano playing, joke telling, sandwich making night porter who looked after us until 5.30am.

As we took over the whole of the Mansion for our wedding (definately the best option for a very reasonable price) I actually got to see the majority of the Mansions 48 bedrooms and can say that not a single one of them is the same which is great. I should think the owners like auctions as many of the rooms are filled with interesting furniture and are themed which just adds to the overall charm of the place.

The Mansion House used to be a private girls school which has been converted into a hotel but without losing any of the quirkiness of those types of buildings. One of the intiial reasons for us chosing the place was because both myself and my wife went to private schools and there was something very warm and inviting about the place (have a look in some of the bookcases to find various old school books that are worth a read.

If you want a slightly different hotel with lovely surroundings rather than a run of the mill generic hotel then this is the place for you."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of July 2007

Very over rated

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"The room allocated to us was a country room in the court part of the hotel, the room was very small and scruffy with a poky, smelly and mouldy bathroom. The walls were scuffed, probably because it was too small to manoevre luggage around. The walls were also splashed with tea / coffee, the top of the wardrobe was hanging off. We asked for another room and eventually we were upgraded. The upgraded room was in the main house and I can only say it was OK, more what I would expect for a standard room, however the large stain on the carpet did not give a good impression. The bathroom was scruffy again with the bath panel hanging off and severely damaged and the power of the water being very poor, the shower was a gentle trickle.

The food was not what I have experienced in many other good quality B and Bs and hotels around the country. Breakfast was adequate but basic choices, when we asked for well done bacon it still turned up soggy! Poached eggs arrived swimming in water. The evening meal was poor again for a hotel of the advertised quality and standard, one meal was a heap of what seemed to be and tasted like warmed up food eg roast potatoes warmed up in the deep fat fryer.

The staff however were very helpful and tried their best to please."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of May 2007

Fantastic food, rooms a bit of a disappointement.

Reviewed Sun 30th of December 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed for 1 night as part of a deal by The Daily Telegraph, where if we spent £75 on dinner, we got a night at the hotel free.
We stayed in a Country Room in the Wroxall Court area of the hotel which is a slightly cheaper part than The Manor part, but nevertheless still upwards of £100 per night for a room.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and very peaceful with no traffic noise or signs of civilisation for as far as you can see, just sheep and cows. As someone mentioned before, there is a long driveway up to the house which is very impressive and there is a chapel onsite which is available for weddings, christenings etc and is very quaint and picturesque. There is a Spa area with treatment rooms and a swimming pool but we didn't use this so I cannot comment on it.

The hotel building is very grand and the architecture is beautiful however the interior seems rather tired already considering it has only been open as a hotel for a few years. Our room was quite small for a double room and the decoration was rather dated. The bathroom was lovely and the shower nice and powerful, however overall the room felt more like somebody's guest bedroom than an upmarket hotel room.
Maybe the rooms in the main Manor part of the hotel are nicer, the pictures on their website do look lovely and more spacious.

The restaurant is fantastic and the meal was absolutely beautiful, there are 2 menus, the Bistro menu which is general pub restaurant type of fayre and there is the more expensive A La Carte menu which is what we ate from.
The food I cannot fault at all, I had baked avocado with goats cheese for starter, roast rack of lamb for main and toffee and banana filo pastry parcels for pudding.
For 2 people having 3 courses, with beer, a glass of wine, 2 soft drinks and a liqueur, came to just under £75. Amazing value for the standard of food.
The service was also very good, and the views from the restaurant are out onto the sunken landscaped garden and fields full of sheep and lambs, which was lovely as the sun went down.

Overall, I cannot recommend the restaurant enough and if I lived nearer I would definitely go again just for dinner, if I could rate the restaurant and rooms separately the restaurant would have definitely got a 5, however the rooms did not live up to expectation and had we not been staying as part of a deal and had to pay full price, I would have been disappointed, so I can only give the overall rating a 3."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of May 2007

Country reTreat

Reviewed Wed 2nd of January 2013

"Rooms and facilities
The impressive driveway is a fitting first encounter with Wroxall and Christopher Wren’s former country seat does not disappoint on entering. You really do feel like the Lord of the Manor here.

Each room has its own style, a real tonic when compared to the usual bland chain hotel fare. Our room had an African theme, with prints of indigenous wildlife on the walls, cane and old teak furniture, a really comfy wrought iron bed and a superbly appointed bathroom with corner bath and ‘We Live Like This’ toiletries. It really is amazing, coming from the city, to be awoken at dawn by the bleating of sheep from the adjacent field.

Location
Located between Knowle and Warwick, the hotel is in a prime location for exploring the heritage of the middle England, but having your own transport is a must, it really is out in the sticks.

Guests
We were part of a corporate crowd so we didn’t mingle much with the regular guests, but judging by how the car park glinted with expensive metal and room rates around £100 a night, it’s fair to say that you will not encounter any riff-raff here.

Food
We had the corporate menu, which although is below the quality you’d expect from such an establishment, the service and surroundings made up for it. I think the a la carte menu was of better quality.

Staff
Exemplary service from start to finish, the silver service at dinner being the highlight. Nothing was too much trouble and although the checkout procedure took a little time, this could be overlooked.

Although we stayed as part of a corporate do, we would definitely like to visit Wroxall again and make use of the spa facilities."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of May 2007

Nice location, shame about the toast!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Nice location; friendly staff and a great bed all made this a good stay.

The breakfast was ok but why do they use one of those toasting machines which never does good toast?

Check out queue in the morning was a bit slow - leave a bit of extra time to check out."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of March 2007

Hotels near Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate

Top traveller tips for Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate

• Katsande by Katsande

"Your furniture try to upgrade it or use furniture polish and be professional "

Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate is also called