Good

Excellent for a romantic getaway!

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Wow! is all i can say. From as soon as we got there we were greeted with a friendly face and a warm and relaxed atmosphere. There was a cosy guest lounge which you could use aswell as helping yourself to a complimentary sherry! Our room was small, cosy and decorated to a high standard - the room was in red, cream and gold with antique style furnishings and a very romantic four poster bed. The room also had the benefit of a climate contolled air system which you could set to how you wanted, this became a godsend as it could be warm one minute and then cool with air conditioning the next! The bathroom was superbly clean and modern and was all in white which looked lovely. The shower was fantastic and there was even luxury shower and body products to use, aswell as white bathrobes. We also had an optional extra of chilled champagne and chocolate truffles in the room which made our stay even more special! Breakfast was a real treat, there was plenty to choose from ranging from breakfast cereals, fruit and yoghurt to homemade cakes, raisin toast and of course the full english! I myself chose the homemade raisin toast which was sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and served with apple slices - this was lovely and i have been craving it ever since! My partner opted for the traditional full english which was apparently spot on! The owners couldnt do enough to help you and we really felt at home being there. We fully recommend this place if you are a couple and looking for a luxurious and romantic getaway...we are already planning our next trip there!"

• Travel date: 3rd April 2008

Stratford Upon Avon's Finest!

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"The website for White-Sails promised great things and the place certainly delivered! We stayed for 2 nights over the Easter weekend in the 'Kenilworth Room'. The rooms are in a modern, 'boutique' style - light, contemporary, unfussy decor with large luxurious en-suites and immaculately clean. The 'Kenilworth' is a well proportioned room with a King Size bed, 'silent' fridge, large en-suite (with a large walk-in power shower) and climate control. There was complimentary bottled water in the fridge and the usual tea & coffee making facilities with a selection of biscuits and mints. The breakfast was a definite high-point! The selection of food available is astonishing ranging from a full english breakfast (perfectly cooked using farm-shop sourced ingredients) through home made muesli, fresh fruits and cereals to freshly baked bread and a freshly baked pudding!! (Our Sunday morning 'pudding' was Pear Tart Tatin with cream - fit for a 5 star restaurant).I can thoroughly recommend White-Sails for the most relaxing and luxurious break in Stratford. We have stayed at 5 or more hotels and B&Bs in the centre of Stratford ranging from 4-Star Hotel to modest B&Bs and none stood out in the crowd. White-Sails shines out with it's clean, uncluttered approach and its superb attention to detail. It's the only place to stay in Stratford!"

• Travel date: 26th March 2008

Fantastic!

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"The White Sails is very small which is great because everything feels like it has a personal touch and nothing you ask of the owners is too much trouble. The rooms are lovely and very clean with all the mod cons. The highlight has to be the breakfasts though, I was full til teatime on what can be a three course epic if you so wish -lots of healthy options though. It's in Walking distance of the town centre and is very easy to find. Felt like we'd been to stay with friends! Money well spent for a romantic weekend in Stratford."

• Travel date: 12th December 2007

A perfect place to stay!

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"We only spent one night at White Sails, but we had such a lovely time that we wished we had stayed for longer. We were in contact with Janet and Roy by email before we arrived and they very kindly let us leave our car there for the full two days we were there, which saved us having to pay to park in town. White Sails is on the west side of Stratford and is a 30 minute walk (or less) in to the centre of town, although there is a half hourly bus service on weekdays and Saturdays. Janet also gave us a map and some advice on what to see and do. When we arrived, we were pleased to find out that Anne Hathaway’s Cottage is only half a mile away from White Sails, just past the Santa Lucia restaurant that Janet booked us into for dinner. We bought a 5 site ticket at the cottage, and walked into town across the fields to visit the other Shakespeare properties. Late November seemed to be a nice time of year to go as the houses were not too busy and the Christmas lights were on. We also had some glasses of mulled wine and mulled cider whilst sat in front of a log fire in one of the pubs before heading back to White Sails to check in. We had already seen some of pictures of our room (Stow) on the website ([--]) and were delighted that it more than lived up to our expectations. Everything about it was excellent, from the large shower, to the tea and coffee making set, the bed and the décor. It was almost a shame that we had to go out to dinner! We were expecting great things from the Santa Lucia as well, but there were some problems with our main courses so we were a bit disappointed by it in the end. Don’t let this put you off going though – I think we were just unlucky – and its location is certainly very convenient. Breakfast back at White Sails made up for it though – it was amazing. We couldn’t get enough of the fresh bread, fruit and full English breakfast, but my favourite thing was the pear tart with crème fraiche. We didn’t feel properly hungry again for the rest of the day! Janet and Roy were both the perfect hosts so it is a shame that they are selling up – I can only hope that the new owners keep up the high standards of service that we experienced. It’s definitely worth all of its 5 stars at the moment!"

• Travel date: 7th December 2007

A return trip to White-Sails

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"This was our second stay at White-Sails having visited in September for one night for a trip to the theatre, returning on this occassion for three nights. We decided to return after being so impressed by our first visit, and we were not let down. The accomodation is on a very personal level with four rooms , the attention to detail is of the standard you would expect in a five star hotel. The room we stayed in 'Stow' came with a luxury bathroom, beautifully furnished bedroom, air-conditioning, flatscreen tv and Wifi internet access. The attention to detail continues with the choice of breakfast which was vast, I chose the full english every morning, justifying this to myself by having a brisk walk into town afterwards. The hosts Janet and Roy have developed a one off in the world of Guest Houses and I would strongly recommend a stay if visiting Stratford for the theatre or a longer stay as we did on this occassion to explore the beautiful Warwickshire Contryside."

• Travel date: 17th November 2007

Don't stay in a hotel, stay here!

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"This really is a very good example of how a B&B in the UK can be a LOT better than staying in a hotel. A quiet, immaculate, personable five-star experience. I paid half what I'd had to fork out for the Mercure in Stratford in June (and didn't even get a breakfast for an "ok" ish experience). Okay, so it's a little out of town, and it doesn't have ye-olde worlde stuff, but it does have all mod cons and a really marvellous choice for breakfast that will set you up for the whole day. The attention to detail (fresh milk in the fridge, bottled water), is second to none. We were in the Warwick room, it had aircon, first class bathroom, sattelite tv...and though it was small, it was comfortable and the bed and linen were great. Thanks very much, we'll be back."

• Travel date: 14th November 2007

Fabulous!

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"I'm in the Uk on business and I planned a weekend trip to Stratford. I was eager for something nice and clean and luxurious, and I found it! The White Sails is an excellent B&B. My room was immaculate and very comfortable. I had the smallest room (The Warwick) and yet it didn't feel small at all. It was a perfect size, even for a couple. The ensuit bathroom was so nice, and large. I was afraid of making a mess. The hosts were just perfect. They were warm, very friendly, gracious. I really felt welcome. They aimed to please, and they were genuine about it. Breakfast was delicious. I would stay there again in a heartbeat, and I would recommend it to everyone!"

• Travel date: 5th November 2007

Perfect getaway from it all, without the kids and finding each other again

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"If you are looking at this review then stop NOW !! Call Janet and book the STRATFORD room and then come back to this review. My husband and I escaped the rat race for 5 nights recently and stayed here for 3 of them. We were greeted by a vibrant and very friendly Janet, who showed us to our amazing room immediately. We then made our way back down to a comfy lounge and had tea, coffee and cake. Exactly the right balance of "chat" and info exchanged hands and we adjourned to our room. First breakfast..............We were greeted by our host Roy (for gods sake don't ask him about golf!, only joking Roy) Smoked Haddock and perfectly poached eggs for me and full English for him, but beforehand, red fruits, warm chocolate muffins, fresh baked warm bread, muesli, cereals, youghurt, fresh oj, apricots, plums in cinamon. Then after my haddock and eggs I had raisin toast sprinkled with cinamon sugar and slices of apple. My own pot of earl grey tea and some extra toast and you guessed it, I was ready for a sleep !! Bloody marvellous, fantastic & outstanding. The next two breakfasts different fresh baked cakes were on offer and different fruits, melon, raspberries, melon etc. There is also on offer smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and many other options. We have NEVER been so spoilt. Every day we kept going on our breakfast and barely felt like our evening meal. I did not see any of the other rooms but if you really want to go the extra mile then have the Stratford room. The bathroom is just simply wonderful. The pictures on this and their website do not do it enough justice. Hubbie took photo of me in the bath so if I get brave will post it. Major shame this establishment is for sale. We wished we had not gone onto Bath now and had stayed the extra nights with Janet and Roy. Best wishes to you both wherever and whatever you end up doing ! Would be nice to know where and what too ?!"

• Travel date: 27th October 2007

Wow, wow, wow!!! What a FABULOUS place!

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the White Sails for 2 nights in October for my birthday. Well, what can we say apart from AMAZING! After arriving late Friday evening due to terrible traffic we were met with a very friendly welcome from Janet who swiftly showed us to our room and ordered us to relax!! The room (Stow) was beautiful (my exact words to my husband were 'This is how I want our bedroom to look like!'). The decour was so peaceful, huge very comfy bed, beautiful furniture and lighting, and the bathroom...wow! Bigger than our 3rd bedroom at home! Wonderfully tiled, gorgeous shower and the best fluffy white towels I've seen. Breakfast is a feast to behold! Fresh baked bread, pear tart and bread and butter pudding, fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereal /museli, and wonderful cooked breakfasts!! My husband had a 6 course breakfast the first day! I cant imagine staying anywhere else in Stratford now. Janet and Roy made our stay so special with their special touches and home-from-home hospitality. We cant recommend the White Sails enough. PS You MUST get Janet and Roy to book you a Saturday night table at an Italian restaurant 5-mins walk away called Santa Lucia. We spent my bday night there with wonderful home-cooked Italian food and hospitality, coupled with the chef's guitar playing, his wife's singing and our rather dodgy percussian playing! Brilliant!"

• Travel date: 14th October 2007

Luscious!!!

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"This is the ONLY place worth staying in Stratford. Everything you could possibly want for a wonderful break is here without a doubt. Janet and Roy are superb hosts, providing the best breakfasts ever - better than most top top 5* hotels that we've stayed in around the globe, and they are simply wonderful company. They really have spared no expense on any of the furnishing and fittings and what amazing showers! It was such a pleasure to stay somewhere where people have put so much thought and energy into creating such a terrific place. Thank you so much and we will definately be seeing you again in the future."

• Travel date: 9th September 2007