Exterior

superb hotel

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"we booked this hotel directly with their october deal which is £85 per person dinner bed and breakfast. Dinner alone is 3 course a la carte and in a super restaurant. Room was a double classic and superb Spa facilities superb Breakfast cooked to order Well worth it and in a lovely location. I am not a golfer but suspect if you were this would be paradise. Nearby is Corbridge and Hexham and of course all the myriad of HADRIANS walls sites. Revisited Vindolanda which was magical. only downside was the early and rather loud moving of bins near our room. Our room looked over the church and we only heard the bells after 6am so we either slept well or they are muffled overnight!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: 26th October 2007

Perfect engagement surprise

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"The most perfect venue for my surprise proposal. Had decided on this place on the back of this site's reviews and it didn't dissapoint. Beautiful setting and friendly staff on first inspection. Then got better with our premier room (worth the extra for a special occassion), very grand with lovely views and probably square footage equal to our flat! The leisure facilities were next and with a few crazy extras which are unlikely to uproot the sauna and steam room as favourites, they were nonetheless fun and a nice experience (salt grotto, ice fountain, tropical shower). Dinner was in the exquisite library room where the staff, privvy to my proposal, sat us on the best table in the corner next to a window where music gently played. Staff pulled out the stops to make it special and after 2 fabulous courses I had arranged with the manager to have champagne brought to the table. Just prior to this I completely surprised my then girlfriend with the proposal which was received by a few tears from us both and then a round of applause from the guests. The manager then congratulated us and informed us the bottle was on the house. We then floated around the hotel all night and had another fantastic meal by way of breakfast before embarking on another round of the leisure facilities and a hot stone massage and Indian head treatment later on. Perfect, perfect, perfect! I implore someone to do as I did and make someone very happy at this wonderful venue."

• Travel date: 9th October 2007

Fantastic

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"We chose Matfen Hall to hold our wedding at Easter 2007 after a fairly extensive search of likely properties in the North East, although there are a number of excellent venues in the area the decision was an easy one to make and one we certainly has no regrets in taking. The property and the facilities were of a high standard and the food some of the best I have enjoyed within the area. The crowning glory, however, for us was the staff who ensured that everything was perfect down to the smallest detail. We have now been to the hotel three times and will certainly be making a return visit in the not too distant future."

• Travel date: 10th September 2007

relaxing stay

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"Booked 2 night stay at Matfen Hall after reading reviews on this site, so thought I should add my own opinions. The hotel has a lovely relaxing ambience with very friendly and attentive staff. Stayed in a classic double on the first night which was very comfortable though I did find it a little warm. On the second night we were upgraded to a premier room over looking the golf course which was lovely. Reason for move of room was some rather heavy footed guests staying in room above, as soon as we pointed this out to reception they immadiately moved us to the upgragded room with absolutely no hesitation. Food in the main restaurant was of high quality but the food in the Keeper's Lodge should be avoided at all costs!! Reheated pre prepared food. Participated in an aerobics class in the gym which was good fun, local members are all very welcoming. All in all would heartily recommend Matfen Hall and look forward to our next stay there."

• Travel date: 25th July 2007

Amazingly beautiful hotel and surroundings

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Stayed at Matfen Hall with 5 of my friends for my 'pamper hen party'. We were a bit dubious as to whether the hotel would accept such an occasion - we live about 10 miles away and know it to be a high standard establishment, but they were happy to accomodate us. From start to finish it was the perfect 2 day break. We arrived before check-in time, but they pulled out all the stops and had our rooms ready for us in no time. The staff were brilliant, happy, smiling, friendly people. There was a large wedding taking place the day we arrived, but this did not take away from the service we received, they are obviously well organised, and had enough staff to cater to all their guests. The rooms were very clean, the bath tub deep, with plenty hot water, very comfortable beds, and a large TV, no complaints what-so-ever. A few of us took in a treatment in the beauty suite/spa, which was 1st class, again, the staff chatty and friendly. For our evening meal they set us a large table in the middle of the beautiful library, and waited on us hand and foot (several of my friends who were'nt staying joined us for the meal). We were treated like royalty. The next morning we took in a dip in the pool, which was like stepping into a bath, it was so warm, before filling up on the very extensive choice of breakfast, all piping hot and totally delicious! Much to choose from, from several different healthy choices, to the traditional full English. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet retreat, in the middle of the beautiful Northumberland countryside. It is in breath-taking grounds, with a golf course for those who are into that!! Even though we live only 10 miles away, my husband and I are planning our 1st month anniversary there, for the perfect relaxing get-away after the months' heavy planning of our wedding."

• Travel date: 2nd July 2007

A gem - I want to live here

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"To see majestic Matfen Hall in the distance as you approach is to feel like a Jane Austin character arriving at some important country seat. Is sits perfectly in its grounds -largely a golf course (one 18 hole and one 9 hole) so cleverly landscaped it looks like rolling countryside - no bunkers in sight. The check in was efficient and friendly and we were made to feel like honoured guests -even our dog. The room -in a modern annexe was comfortable, and very pleasant without being luxurious, but the main areas of the hall itself - the old chapel and the restaurant are beautiful. The imposingly luxuriant restaurant is a fit setting for the most exquisie food. Three of us all ordered different dishes of starter, main and desert over 2 nights and every dish was fabulous. The wine list was excellent, and the wait staff second to none. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and wonderful. I did not visit the Spa, but looked in at the pool which looked very inviting, if only I had my costume. The grounds also extend to a pretty private church and the estate village beyond so are lovely for a stroll. The staff are efficient and friendly, without being overly familiar, and are obviously very proud of the Hall. The golfing aspect is not shoved down your throat as with so many similar country hotels, despite one of my travelling companions - a golf course owner herself, stating it was one of the best courses she had seen in a very long while. I will find a reason to visit here again. I could happily live here and dine in the restaurant for the rest of my days."

• Travel date: 24th May 2007

Nice weekend in the country

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"We stayed at Matfen Hall for 1 night having attended a friends wedding there Our room was in the East Wing and was traditionally furnished to a high standard, but with a good bathroom with decent toiletries and an excellent shower. We had been advised to park in the East Wing car park, but with the Great Hall being prepared for the wedding we were attending, we would definitely have saved ourselves a long walk with luggage, had we parked at the front of the hotel The conservatory bar is fantastic on a sunny day and there were great views over the extensive grounds and golf course. The wedding itself was in a lovely setting and we were lucky ( February in Northumberland) to have beautiful sunshine for the photographs in the garden outside The evening disco was in the cellar bar, and this seemed a wise move by the hotel, to give a private venue away from bedrooms where other guests wished to get some sleep. We did not use the leisure facilities but our friends who did, said the facilities were very good. The hotel has some signs to direct guests around but we did become lost at times ( as an old Hall the buildings are not surprisingly fairly rambling and the corridors twist and turn a little ) The hotel staff were both friendly and efficient and our only complaint was the food. The breakfast was fairly average, particularly compared to many hotels we have visited in Scotland, and the food at the reception was fine, though not as special as we would have expected of a hotel of this status. Overall the hotel is well worth a visit for a relaxing break (despite the description on this site as a hotel in Newcastle, it is very definitely a country hotel in a small, beautiful Northumberland village, which is a fair drive from Newcastle city centre and feels far away from the bustle of the city), and definitely a good spot for a romantic, away from it all weekend."

• Travel date: 5th April 2007

Traditional charm with modern luxury

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"I stayed here for one night on business and it is certainly somewhere to which I would like to return for leisure. My room (a deluxe in the old part of the hall) was beautiful - a huge bed, luxurious furnishings and probably the biggest bathroom I have ever seen. It was a shame that I only arrived at 9.15 pm and left at 8.30 the following morning, so did not have time to fully appreciate the grounds and spa. A couple of little niggles prevent me from rating Matfen as excellent: 1. room was far too hot and so I needed to open a window. The open window then proceeded to rattle all night! 2. food ordered for room service was a little disappointing (soggy chips and burger bun) 3. atmosphere in the restaurant for breakfast was quite formal 4. my cooked breakfast was VERY small (2 rashers of bacon, 1 sausage and 4 mushrooms!) However, I am very picky and these minor issues will not prevent me recommending this hotel. I would not usually expect a country house hotel to be a good choice for a woman travelling alone, but Maften would indeed be an excellent choice."

• Travel date: 4th February 2007

first class

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"Beautiful surroundings and golf course,hotel and staff first class. Will definately make a return visit."

• Travel date: 17th November 2005

Hotels near Matfen Hall

Matfen Hall is also called

• Matfen Hall Classic Hotel
  • matfen hall newcastle upon tyne
  • matfen hall hotel