Holiday Inn London-Shepperton

Felix Lane, Shepperton TW17 8NP England

Good

Fine for an overnight stop

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"we stayed here with a group of about 40 including 20 or so children for one night. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the rooms good value, if a bit cramped for a family of 4. The hotel organised a buffet for us, and were happy to provide more food when it ran out. Food was fine, and breakast good. The swimming pool was good. Central heating rather noisy in the morning. There was no games room, or communal area where the kids could spend time after dinner.
We were heading for Twickenham by car, and it was convenient for that."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of February 2007

Nice surroundings

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"This hotel is only 10 miles from Windsor, and even closer to Hampton Court, yet it is set in large grounds near a marina, so is peaceful and quiet (other guests depending!).
The rooms are pleasant enough, although not very big. Our bathroom was a little jaded, but clean and had everything we needed.
The hotel has a gym and small pool which guests can use. Towels are provided if required.
We ordered some hot food from room service, which was delivered within 20mins. It was piping hot and good quality.
The breakfast is fairly good, there is a good variety of choice. My only critisism (common to many hotel buffets) is that the hot breakfast wasn't hot enough!
Considering the proximity to many attractions, the prices are reasonable and the hotel and it's surroundings are pleasant."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of February 2007

Do Yourself A Favour, Find An Alternative!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Stayed one night in December as attending our company Xmas bash which was quite local to this hotel.

Looked fine as we pulled up outside, apart form the huge water rats scurrying around outside! Room was just O.K, small, lower end of this chains offerings I'd say. We also booked a room for a colleague & husband. They were shown to their room and the toilet was quite literally hanging off the wall, so they moved rooms immediately.

Got the cases away and went downstairs for a cup of tea & a cake. When we eventually got served it was but a waiter that had trouble understanding & speaking English?- We were never quite sure if he knew what we wanted. We waited ages at the bar. The pot of tea came... and after asking for milk , sugar & a tray 4 times over the next 15 mins, we gave up & walked away.

We did sample their cakes a bit later, and honestly?- Just stick with a bag of crisps, or some chips as the cakes were awful.

As we returned to our room, we found the water pressure was reduced to a trickle, and that trickle was a very murky colour?- The problem only lasted a while, and up popped an apology on the TV screen, so goodness knows what that was about?

Around 6.30 pm, whilst the girls were getting ready upstairs & the fellas down at the bar, suddenly the lights dimmed. Only the bar area had any sort of effective lighting. There was a function on that evening, and we thought they were either getting in the mood, or testing. Wrong!- there was a power cut. I heard later from other guests that had stayed before that this, apparently, is quite a regular occurrence! - Anyway, the girls called down to say they could'nt see a thing. So dress & make up was put on under a tiny emergency light in the bedroom. That really went down well, as you can imagine.

Came back from our Xmax function, went to bed and Oh Dear!- 4 in the morning the fire alarm went off. There was some initial confusion as the alarm cut off after about 2 minuets or so. Those that did poke their heads out of the room just returned. when the alarm went off - But the alarm went off again. Our room was at the end of a row and near the stair-well. I found an employee running past and shouted - Is this for real?- He said to wait???- A few minuets later he retuned and shouted up to me that it was, and could I help get everyone out of my block?- O.k!! - So I knocked on doors & made lots of noise. Dangerously, the other couple we were with phoned reception on the first alarm and were told it was a false alarm. They went back to sleep. I had to drag them out on my way down to the muster area.

And so.. There we all were, hundreds of people & kids all in nightwear, standing outside in the car park in Minus 3 degrees. Lovely! There were some very upset people as the realization started to set in that there was no smoke, no smells, nothing obvious that this was an emergency. In fact it was a false alarm, but we all waited outside whilst the fire brigade made a thorough search.

Some decide that was enough, packed their bags and left. We decided just to make up what sleep we could, yet all I could do was lay awake for hours, waiting for the alarm to go off again, and thinking to myself "what an appalling stay this had been". O.K- so the fire alarm issue was a precautionary thing, and better safe than sorry. Even so, taking that aside, this remains the worse hotel I think I've ever stayed at?"

• Travel date: Wed 17th of January 2007

Great Stay

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"My fiancee and I stayed here for 2 nights in November.

The staff were all friendly and polite, the check-in was smooth and the room was a good size and very clean. The swimming pool, steam room and gym were all modern and fresh. We even received a complimentary newspaper each morning.

The food in the restaurant was very good, even for vegetarians (which we both are) which is quite unusual.

The only slight down point was the air conditioning system in the room which whirred even when it was turned off.

Thanks also to the night manager who kept me company in the early hours in the bar whilst England were getting battered in the first Ashes test in Brisbane!"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of November 2006

Interesting Location

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Stayed here several times with work. Hotel is in large grounds near the Thames by a marina, swan rescue centre & private estate.

Regular at holiday inns and always impressed by their slick check-in for priority club members - key card ready & waiting.

Hotel staff all very good, the bar is staffed by very efficient Poles!

I like this hotel as I can jog along the nearby Thames and enjoy a quiet pint by the river which is always great after a day at work!

If you do not want to walk a mile to the river you could always drive but the hotel bar & restaurant are both very pleasant."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of October 2006

a bit dissapointed

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"we stayed here one night while visiting the farnborough air show. we booked direct with holiday inn for a non-smoking room but on arrival i could see on their computer system that we were in a smoking room. we asked them to change this which they did, but unfortunately the room we were given had one of the hotels generators directly outside it and was so noisy that we had to asked to be moved again. the room we eventually ended up with was much better and had a pleasant view over the hotel grounds.

there were a few other problems - the lift was very shaky and i felt quite nervous using it, the room keys did not match the number of the room which was really confusing, it meant you had to memorise your room number because the key card was completely different.

we had a meal in the restaurant and although quite pricey, the food was a very good standard and i would certainly have a meal there again. breakfast the next morning was also good with a nice selection of hot and cold food.

the swimming pool was a nice bonus, we went for a quick dip but were dissapointed that the jacuzzi was out of order, however there is also a sauna and a steam room available and is free to hotel guests.

the hotel is in some nice grounds with trees and greenery around but dont be fooled by other reviews, some of the grounds are not even accessable and do not belong to the hotel so i think some of the comments made about this by other people are a bit misleading.

also beware if you are driving here yourself, there is not even a signpost of the main road for the holiday inn , it says moat house instead, as this hotel used to be a moathouse, but you would have thought they would have changed the sign by now.

all in all, its an ok stay for one or two nights but im not sure that i would stay again."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of July 2006

A quiet oasis but car required

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"This former Moat House Hotel became a Holiday Inn in late November 2005. In January 2006 a major refurbishment was well underway although not intrusive to guests.

As a couple we stayed for one night for a business meeting and a visit to Hampton Court Palace. We found the hotel very pleasantly situated in extensive grounds of lawns, trees and ponds near the North Bank of the Thames well away from other properties and roads. (I was told it was originally a naturist colony) It would however be a long walk to any local shops, pubs, restaurant or even a bus stop so access to transport is a must.

The hotel is geared towards business meetings with a large suite of seminar rooms with their own coffee bar, patio area etc. The fitness centre (still called Moatavation) includes a modest sized indoor swimming pool and a well equiped gym and also had an organised step aerobics class underway in the early evening.

Our room was a standard size for Holiday Inn but was well equiped (no room safe though). It had obviously been refurbished within the previous few weeks to a high standard, but with an occasional miss - for example the back of the bathroom door had not been repainted and was chipped and scratched and the bath was obviously older than the tile grouting.

Breakfast was better than the average Holiday Inn but was the usual buffet.

Staff throughout were extremely friendly and very helpful. Late checkout was no problem. I was even given directions to the Hotel's own mooring place on the Thames accessed by a small gate from the grounds. Shame the Thames Path and the nearest pubs seemed to be on the other side of the river about a mile round by the Walton (nearest) bridge.

All in all a pleasurable experience which we hope to repeat, especially as we got a great winter break rate."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of January 2006

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"We held our wedding reception here, then stayed for another two nights. The hotel is set in lovely grounds. The rooms were clean. Food was excellent and the staff very helpful. Facilities good, we made use of the swimming pool and jacuzzi."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of October 2005

Great Hotel

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"I stayed at this hotel with my partner for one night in July as I was attending a wedding nearby. The décor of this large hotel is modern and the double crown room we were given was very clean with a great shower. The car park was also generous, so leaving the car overnight was trouble-free. We checked in earlier than the 2pm fixed time as we needed a while to change into our wedding outfits, and as I phoned the day before to make sure this was okay, there was no problem and the receptionist was extremely polite and helpful. Unfortunately, we didn’t have the time to experience the pool or the extra facilities, so I can’t comment on those. We did order a light lunch at the bar, which was a bit slow in arriving but was good quality, albeit a bit overpriced. However, the breakfast the next morning was very good, (although I wasn’t feeling up to eating due to my hangover!, my partner made sure he tried plenty of the cooked food, which looked wonderful). Check-out was also very efficient, and we were shown the breakdown of our bill on the computer screen before payment. If I am in this area in the future, I would definitely stay in this hotel again."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of July 2005

Not Bad But Could Be Better

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I stayed in January 2005 and as this was a last minute business trip I telephoned to make a reservation the previous night but a curt woman laughingly said that reservations were only open 9 to 5, Monday to Friday and as this was 8.00 on Saturday then they were not there and offered no other help. I phoned the Moat House central reservations and they were on answerphone so i made the booking via the web. I would normally have gone elsewhere but the location was ideal for my visit. I paid extra for a suite and specified a non-smoking suite or the best non-smoking room available.

When i arrived my room was on a smoking corridor which absolutely reeked of smoke and, you've guessed it, the room was a smoker with ash trays all over the place. The lady on reception said that there were no non smoking rooms available. There was a hypermarket at the end of the M3 so i drove up there and bought an air freshener.

The room itself was OK, clean sheets and loo (absolute basics in my view) but the loo was not a good flusher (if you know what I mean). The blanket was a bit stained and I did not have the advertised luxury bathrobe. Also my executive toiletries had already been used by the previous occupants. There was a decent enough sitting area with 2 TVs and a CD player and FREE JELLY BABIES, well a small bag with 5 of them in.

Room service was no more than adequate but the buffet breakfast was very good even though a strange woman, presumably a guest, made diners feel uncomfortable by wandering around the room talking to herself and swearing and shouting at the staff. When I checked out they tried to charge me £129 rather than the £98 web rate I had arranged, fortunately I printed the confirmation out before I left home.

In summary, not perfect for supposedly the best room and the little things need attention but not too bad. However, I expected better, but the staff were OK, although nothing too special."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of February 2005

Hotels near Holiday Inn London-Shepperton

Stayed at Holiday Inn London-Shepperton? Share your insight.

Holiday Inn London-Shepperton is also called