fobbed off

Reviewed 29th March 2013

"We stayed at this hotel while working in the area,when we first stayed just before christmas last year the hotel was ok,but needed a revamp,rooms needed stripping out and starting again as the ones we stayed in were a bit scruffy,34,35, 36 ect.TVs in the rooms may as well not be there, small 12 inch with 7 channels at the other side of the room(binoculars would be handy !) Now the resturant and bar area is under refurbishment so for two weeks we had to eat out,not much of a problem if we had been informed at time of booking,also breakfast time is like eating on a building site and one day we waited 45 mins to finally be served. But the worst experiance we had was on the 22nd,23rd and 24th of March when we had our sleep ruined by the fire alarm, on the first night we went to reception to find nobody,after a while it stopped so we went back to our rooms.On the 24th it went off at least ten times during the night, when we reported this to reception on checking out on friday we were told the owner would write and recompence everyone affected,this did`nt happen.on the 30th or 31st of March we bumped into the owner in reception and told him of our complaint he said he was collecting names of people who had been there on those nights and we would have our bills adjusted on checkout on friday morning(1st April !!!!) reception staff new nothing of this and we paid full price again. Our job down here is now finished,if we ever come back to Sudbury we won`t be staying here."

• Travel date: 3rd April 2011

Shame but needs to change

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"Before this was taken over, while in liquidation it was ok. Food was good etc. However the room we stayed in sucked and in need of complete renovation. Sent back the food as it was the wrong texture and smelt off. Still tried to charge me. Have visited here many times, but now will never return."

• Travel date: 2nd April 2011

Great location, fabulous views, lovely building, good value for money

Reviewed 30th March 2013

"Stayed here for a couple of nights on a holiday, it was a lovely location looking out of Sudbury common meadows. The hotel was undergoing a massive renovation so there was scaffolding everywhere but I knew this before I arrived and wasn't bothered by it. If it hadn't been there though I would have had brilliant views from my room. The room was fine, a little old looking but safe, comfortable, clean, warm and I had everything I wanted, including a new looking bathroom with a great bath. I ate in the bar one night, the menu was limited but then there restaurant was closed, the food was fine pub food. The breakfast was as you would expect with a number of options and the staff everywhere were always attentive. Would definitely stay there again, great price for the location and the building."

• Travel date: 23rd March 2011

Evenig meal great, breakfast naff!

Reviewed 1st April 2013

"Stayed for two nights. Found the room to be very tired and in need of updating but it was clean. The breakfasts were over cooked and not good but the evening meals were very good. Situated in a scenic spot and easy walking distance from town."

• Travel date: 12th March 2011

Great find

Reviewed 31st March 2013

"What a pleasant stay we had at the Mill Hotel. Just a short walk away from Sudbury centre, it's in a great location with great views. Our room cost just £50 including breakfast - which I thought was great value for money. Staff were friendly and helpful, the hotel has a lot of character and I was pleasantly surprised overall. I cannot comment on the restaurant as we did not eat there. Worth a stay if your in the area."

• Travel date: 12th January 2011

Only a Christmas eve meal but the food was lovely just a shame about the service

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"My family and I like to go out for a meal on Christmas eve and this year my mother choose the mill hotel. It was quiet in the restaurant but pleasant. The food was good quality and tasty. We all had a three course and the dessert was one of the best I have had in a long time. But unfortunately the service was not as quality as the food. The waitresses were"

• Travel date: 25th December 2010

Avoid if you have mobility issues or like breakfast

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"I stayed at the Mill Hotel for a friend's wedding. Having dropped my wife off at the church, I went to the hotel with my 2 children, aged 5 and 1. I checked in at reception and was was informed that "Your room's on the third floor. There's no lift.". The staff member then walked off with no offer to help with my bags. My room was up three flights of stairs, one of which was loosely covered in protective plastic. I assumed that this was because some decorating was being done, but over the course of the weekend there was no sign of any work happening. The long trek upstairs was bad enough with 2 small children and my bags, but I can't imagine how anyone with any walking difficulties could manage this. It's very poor that the hotel doen't mention this on their website or make any attempt to assist people. If you have any mobility issues, I would avoid this hotel like the plague. The room itself was pleasant enough, if in need of some modernisation. The views are pretty with lots of wildlife to gaze at. However, the breakfast is very poor quality. The sausages were the worst type of bargain-basement, own-brand banger that you'd find in a cheap supermarket. The rest of the food was slightly better, but not much."

• Travel date: 29th November 2010

Lovely location and charming hotel

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"Lovely setting - right by the river, plenty of ducks, swans - very pretty. Reception was good, friendly staff, room on ground floor (no 33) overlooking the river. In the morning I opened the curtains to see three ducks swimming past, a great start to the morning! Room that we stayed in would benefit from a bit of tlc, but everything we needed was there, nice bed, tv, tea & coffee and was nice & clean. Overall we were happy with our room given the rate we paid. Breakfast was really tasty and we sat overlooking the river. We went for a walk after breakfast, by the back of the hotel and along the river. Lovely start to the day. We really enjoyed the history of the hotel, there are photos and items on the walls showing how it was a working water mill, and there is a giant water wheel still turning in the restaurant. We love to stay in hotels with character and this certainly had it. Liked best: amazing setting & character of the hotel Liked least: room was a little tired looking. But we would definitely stay again."

• Travel date: 23rd October 2010

Loved it, excellent value! lovely location!

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"I booked this hotel as a surprise birthday treat for my partner. I used to visit The Mill approximately 15 years ago for meals and drinks and was absolutely horrified to read some of the reviews of it now. We only live around 14 miles away, and as I was so concerned as to what the hotel would now be like I drove over the night before to have a look. The hotel looked busy and I could see plenty of people sitting in the bar as I walked round the back and along the river. My partner and I arrived the next day and were delighted with our room (I had paid for an upgrade to an executive room) The room was lovely (number23) clean and comfortable and we loved it. We had a drink in the bar (very reasonable prices) and a walk into Sudbury and along the river. In the evening we had a lovely meal in the restaurant, very nice food, plenty of it and nicely presented! After a peaceful nights sleep we enjoyed a great breakfast, the hotel was so busy we sat in the bar area to eat it, all very pleasant. Yes, the outside of the building is in need of tlc, we understand the hotel was taken over on 2nd September, I expect the new owners will attend to this, but for the price we paid we honestly could not fault it and will definately go back. Go and enjoy it!"

• Travel date: 28th September 2010

On the surface looks good but look closer

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"Initially on arriving seemed quite good. Room looked clean. On closer inspection found window would not close. The frame had warped and the room was cold. Radiators did not work so asked reception, they said they would turn the heating on. Never happened in our room. asked them to look at it next day and I guess the radiators hadn't been bled. Then it was too hot. Windows not double glazed so pools of water on window sills each morning. Had a set menu for dinner as a party only 2 choices for each course, Fish as one on all 4 nights and Duck on 3 of them. Very restricted choice. Nearly went up to the local chip shop on one occasion. Cooking was average, uncooked vegs. Service at table very slow. Breakfast good choice of fruits, juice etc only choice of 4 cereals. Cooked breakfast looked good but bacon covered in grease, tasteless tomatoes and strange saute potatoes. ( New potatoes dumped in grease briefly) . Staff appeared to be helpful until I overheard a staff conversation suggesting they would be glad to get rid of that lot ( meaning us) . There were several complaints from our party including from the driver."

• Travel date: 18th September 2010

Hotels near The Mill Hotel

Top traveller tips for The Mill Hotel

• by Lucy A

"If you dont care about how you are treated or cleanliness and you like to be near a river with a public foothpath and be near Gainsboroughs..."

The Mill Hotel is also called

• elizabeth hotel mill riverside
  • mill hotel sudbury