This hotel is now closed.

Hotels near Sidegate Guest House

Sidegate Guest House

Good

Clean, comfortable and friendly - highly recommend!

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"We stayed 9 nights at Sidegate and couldn't have been more satisfied. The rooms were roomy and clean and the bathrooms were well maintained and had great water pressure and plenty of HOT water (most hotels never have both). Richard and Sally not only run a great B & B but also made you feel like family. Breakfast was always good and they even got up early for us to accomodate our rigorous sight seeing schedule. They made us Yanks fell right at home and gave us several pointers that were right on."

• Travel date: 2nd June 2009

Don't pass this one by

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"Very nice place to stay. We stayed here for two nights on a 3 week trip of England and it was one of the nicest places we stayed. The host are very nice and welcoming. Ample parking right outside the front door. The room was very nice with everything we needed including a nice coffee/tea set up. Inside was very quiet but with the window open the traffic outside was a bit loud until 11ish. Breakfast was wonderful. First English Breakfast I had that was NOT soaking in grease! We loved the assigned table and the service was outstanding. They do have a large dog but he seems totally disinterested in us and stayed in the back so even if you were leary about dogs you wont even know this one is there. There was a pub/restaurant within walking distance and a laundromat within a 2 min drive. All in all I would say the location was pretty good. The bathroom is a bit small by Canadian standards but you have a private bath with lots of hot water and its in your room so who could complain. If I return to Ipswich I would stay there again."

• Travel date: 24th May 2009

Relaxing and friendly with great breakfasts and spacious guest lounge

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"Richard and Sally provide the perfect balance of hospitality and professionalism. Sidegate is friendly and welcoming but the layout of the rooms and the lovely guest lounge and breakfast area allows you space and privacy if you want it. Free WiFi is an added bonus, there's good parking, and the breakfasts are hard to beat. Sidegate has clearly spent a lot of time sourcing the best ingredients and though I'm not a fan of black pudding, I was told by one of the guests that it's the best they've tasted. If the bacon is anything to go by I believe it, though my favourite was the Sidegate special - perfect scrambled eggs with generous slices of delicious smoked salmon on top. All that, fresh toast, cereals, and a delicious fresh fruit salad as well, with several different types of berries, grapes, etc. My room was comfortable and well equipped - flat screen tv, ensuite, hair dryer, etc and it was a full house on 2 of the 3 nights I stayed there. I knew I was in the right place when a well travelled yorkshireman and another guest told me independently at breakfast that of all the bed and breakfasts they had stayed in, Sidegate was the best. They return time and time again. It's just east of central Ipswich there's a pub within a ten minute walk for evening meals and Richard and Sally will also cook dinner for you by prior arrangement. An extremely friendly and well behaved Labrador called Eki will say hello to you if you want to but stay in the background if you prefer."

• Travel date: 12th May 2009

A B&B that is worth recomending

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"We have been using Sidegate for a couple of years now. The rooms have always been up to a high standard all with wifi. The lounge area is a bonus where you can sit with other guests and look in to the garden, and even play with eki the dog. The breakfast are top scoff and certainly have set me up for the day when out walking in the local countryside and the other half for her days studying at the university. Richard and Sally are excellent hosts and are good at recommending local places to eat, and we thoroughly enjoy going up to visit them both. My other half has stayed here many times when travelling as a lone female and has always been made to feel very welcome and secure when staying. This is a B&B that sets standards that others should follow."

• Travel date: 20th February 2009

Every B&& should be like this

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"I stayed for one night on 3 Feb 09. I'd called 3 or 4 B&B's in Ipswich and Sidegate were the first to call me back. They were helpful, considerate and the room was warm, comfortable with flat screen TV, freeview, ensuite and huge comfortable bed. Breakfast was freshly cooked and Sally and Richard were both extremely helpful and accommodating. I commented on the way out how much I'd enjoyed the stay and on how coming to an unknown town can be a lottery with B&B's / hotels etc. and some of the awful places that I'd stayed in. Sally simply said that this was their home too and they wanted it presented as well as possible. In my view, every B&B should be up to the same high standard as Sidegate B&B. I would highly recommend anyone visiting Ipswich stay here."

• Travel date: 9th February 2009

A welcome oasis

Reviewed 13th November 2012

""We just wanted to thank you for making our overnight stay so comfortable and enjoyable. We found everything beautifully warm, clean, comfortable and with little 'extra' touches that were very much appreciated. Richard's recommendation of the Indian restaurant was spot-on. Also, breakfast was delicious! All in all, we couldn't fault the accommodation and would have no hesitation in recommending Sidegate to anyone needing B & B in Ipswich.""

• Travel date: 14th January 2009

Luxury and hospitality

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"We stayed for two nights in this excellent guest house in a nice district of Ipswich. Our room had a king-size bed and flat-screen LED television with all the Freeview channels. The hosts Sally and Richard have owned the Sidegate for about 2 years and have recently been given a Gold Award to add to their 4-star rating by Visit Britain. The guest house is spotless and there is great attention to detail. Breakfasts feature lovely fresh fruit, probiotic yoghurt and locally-sourced ingredients for a scrummy Full English. Evening meals are available if you require. It was icy when we left and Richard even came out to help clear our windscreen. The Sidegate Guest House experience is better than most four-star hotels at a fraction of the cost. The Sidegate is better than most four-star"

• Travel date: 9th December 2008