Exterior

• vending machine
  • newspaper

Fantastic for Drayton Manor

Reviewed 28th March 2013

"This hotel is quite basic more suited to the business traveller but we found it perfect for us as we were visiting Drayton Manor (Thomas Land) with small children. The rooms are pretty standard in size. They are quite clean but they did'nt hoover the room when it was cleaned during our stay. But overall they do the job nicely. The staff couldnt be more helpful & friendly if they tried. There is no restaurant on site but they have a huge reception / bar area with plenty of tables (used for brekkie) & they also provide numerous delivery menus for take aways. Great alternative to going out to dinner when you have children. M&S , Asda, KFC, Mc Donalds & lots of other shops are within a 5 min walk from the Holidsy Inn Express. Remember to bring your swim gear as there is a swimming pool located in the Snowdome which is on the same site as the Hotel. They also do skiing & other snow activities great for older children. Given that there were lots of children in the hotel during our stay it was not like a lot of other hotels we have been to with children running mad day & night! It was only at breakfast that we saw how many other children were staying. This hotel is 1.5 miles away from Drayton Manor which is £6.50 in a taxi. We also got a taxi from Birmingham International Airport £25.00. Or you can get a train from Birmingham Airport to Birmonhgam new Street (10 min) & then change to train to Tamworth (15 min) £8.20 off peak. If you are going as a family you are better off with a taxi as its shorter travel time (20 mins) There are also other attractions near the Hotel, Bowling, Tamworth Zoo & Tamworth Castle Overall a brilliant hotel at a great price."

• Travel date: 12th July 2010

Very comfortable sleep, ideal for our busy weekend

Reviewed 24th March 2013

"Just returned from a one night stay at this hotel. It is in an excellent location both to Drayton Manor and Cadbury World. Rooms as extremely comfortable, air conditioned, quality bed, crisp bed linnen, luxury shower. The room / hotel in general was immaculate, breakfast was lovely. Nice to see that the manager has taken on board some of the feedback from Tip Adisor in relation to the coordination of breakfast. Guests are given an opportunity to choose a time slot (7-8, 8-9,9-10) and then they are given priority for breakfast, run smoothly. We took our 3 year old daughter and she had the double sofa bed to herself, she slept like a log. Only downside is the £1 per exit from the car park, this was not too bad for us only staying one night but anyone staying for any longer I think that this could become an annoying expense."

• Travel date: 28th June 2010

GREAT LOCATION

Reviewed 25th March 2013

"One of the best Holiday Inn Express hotels I've used. Free breakfast includes eggs and bacon or sausage. Staff are quick and glad to advise, rooms are better equipped than usual and the location is hard to beat. In a packed weekend we visited Alton Towers (approx 40 miles), the Snowdome (tobaganning is cheap and fun), the castle (worth a look) and park. It's worth crossing the bridge to the well-equipped park. My son was able to hire a skateboard for just £3 hour and you can also hire bikes. A great weekend and will definitely return."

• Travel date: 25th June 2010

Fantastic hotel, excellent service

Reviewed 29th March 2013

"Have just returned from a 2 night break at this hotel. This hotel is fantastic, the service was first class, staff couldn't do enough to help you. My husband and I stayed here with our 2 children, visited Thomas land which is very close by. I can't recommend this hotel enough, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and have consequently booked for a return stay for New Year. Breakfast was very good, rooms very clean and spacious. Power shower is lovely. So glad we found this hotel."

• Travel date: 16th June 2010

Everything you could ask for and more......

Reviewed 23rd March 2013

"My wife, 5 years old son, 2 year old daughter and I just arrived home today following a 3 night stay. We couldn't have asked for a friendlier, welcoming, clean, excellent hotel. Some of these reviews claim the service is poor - the service was fantastic from the minute we arrived until we booked out today. When we arrived we were immediately shown to our family room which was immaculate, the beds were made up and everything ready for our 3 day stay..with one exception. There was a problem with the TV which was not working correctly and having small children was a must for those early mornings! The young lady I think she was called Kirin was superb and arranged for a new family room immediately - superb service no fuss! I can't state enough how clean and nice this hotel was. The room was just what we needed - two double beds (one a sofa one), TV, internet facilities, great bathroom with power shower and air conditioning. Beds were comfortable, choice of pillows too! The breakfast was amazing, scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage, fresh fruit, toast, cereal, coffee and lots more - kids loved it - hope they won’t be expecting cooked breakfast at home! There was a lady there, I'm sorry didn't get her name, blond, slim, white top, black leggings, poss eastern European who couldn't do enough for us at breakfast - she was great with the kids, always smiling you made our breakfast times enjoyable ones. The hotel is in a great location for Drayton Manor which we visited for Thomas Land only 5 mins by car and the hotel is next door to the Snowdome - everything there for the kids and adults - we went tobogganing, tube sliding, snow play for all ages - also if you go to the Snowdome website you can get a discount for this hotel which we didn't realise until we got there! Went swimming next door and 2 mins by car to retails park with everything you need. We had a superb family holiday and Holiday Express Tamworth made a big difference to our stay - many thanks guys we'll hopefully be back next year!! Steve"

• Travel date: 11th June 2010

excellent accommodation, poor customer service

Reviewed 22nd March 2013

"This hotel is very clean and nicely fitted with every need catered for....apart from the service. Not very helpful or well trained staff and a big lack of communication. However, when i wrote to the manager, he was more than apologetic for my experience and has resolved my issues satisfactorily"

• Travel date: 2nd June 2010

One of the best Holiday Inn Express hotels

Reviewed 30th March 2013

"Standard of decor and furnishings much better than the average Holiday Inn Express. Slept very well. Next door to a lake so nice for a stroll after dinner. Breakfast OK, but preferred the original continental breakfasts to the new cooked ones - only sliced bread and bacon/ scrambled eggs rather than lovely rolls and croissants. But others may prefer the new offerings. Plently of other choices such as cheese, yoghurt, cereals and tinned fruit. Will stay again if in the area."

• Travel date: 16th May 2010

Great Location Ideal for Families

Reviewed 27th March 2013

"Stayed at Holiday Inn Tamworth for 4 nights Bank Holiday weekend. I booked this as we were visiting Drayton Manor and Cadbury world as well as family that live in the area. The hotel is very clean and staff were friendly. Rooms were comfortable although not a lot of space if using the sofa bed. But rooms were modern and clean but no drawers for clothes only a small hanging area. We arrived late on the Friday night so went straight to our rooms. breakfast on the saturday morning was quiet and very well organised with good selection of cereals, pastries, bread and also scrambled eggs and either sausage or bacon which seemed to rotate daily. Fruit juices, tea coffee etc. Sunday morning on the other hand was a different story was totally unorganised and hardly any food left and wasnt getting restocked. so I managed to get my 5 year old some cereal but I went without as was too busy to wait on things being restocked but on Monday / tuesday morning things went back to normal think the sunday morning was just very busy and didnt have enough staff to cope as tables were left uncleared and dirty. Hotel has a very limited evening menu and is only served monday to Friday but there is a restaurant in the snowdome next door, or tamworth town centre is within walking distance and many other restaurants and mcdonalds/kfc and the like a less than 5 minute drive away. I thought the location of the hotel was ideal. not far from motorway and accross the road there is a bowling complex with a softplay area in it and beyond that was a park for kids. About a 10 minute drive to drayton manor and about 30minutes to Birmingham itself. Within walking distance there is a cinema and tamworth towncentre & castle and ofcourse the snowdome is right next door which has a swimming pool etc in it. Overall was a very enjoyable stay but on day of checkout I was charged more than double the room rate which i was quoted when i booked online, but this just delayed checkout but was sorted no problems as I had confirmation email with me."

• Travel date: 6th May 2010

GREAT HOTEL - IDEAL FOR SKIING AT SNOWDOME

Reviewed 26th March 2013

"My husband and I are gold priority club members. We spent two nights at the hotel, so that we could ski at the snowdome. What a fantastic hotel - we've stayed in numerous Holiday Inn's and this was by far the best. Everything is modern and fresh looking. The breakfast was lovely and the staff polite, attentive and smart. My only criticism was that the bed was too soft for our liking - although most hotel beds aren't up to much. The pillows were great though and the shower was lush - huge and modern.Its located right next door to the ski centre and is about a 5-10 min walk into Tamworth City Centre. There are two wetherspoons in tamworth -cheap beer and great food. We will certainly come back soon - i need to get my skiing up to scratch for our next holiday to Italy!"

• Travel date: 29th April 2010

Veterans trip to the Arboretum

Reviewed 20th March 2013

"I organised a trip for 10 predominantly older men to the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas. The booking experience was easy and painless, The hotel was situated within easy access of major roads and on arrival this new hotel and surrounds looked as they shoud, clean and spotless. Although situated near busy roads, there is a lake facing reception which adds to the whole experience. There is a large car park front and rear of the hotel, cost £1 everytime you came through the barrier. We were greeted by a friendly smiling receptionist, who quickly checked us in. The reception area and bar were as expected spotless. I needed some additional information to help the trip go smoothly, the receptionist was more than happy to provide this and couldn't have been more helpful. On entering the 4th floor room, it was once again immaculate, and with a welcoming message on the tv screen, it gave it that personal touch. In the bathroom there was a nice big shower, with plenty of room, a sign saying if you forgot any toiletries then contact reption and they'll prvide some. the twin beds were very comfortable with soft or harder pillows. Breakfast was a self service style continental breakfast, which may not be to everyones liking, but is stated with the description when you book. checking out was simple and carried out by another smiling receptionist. A very enjoyable stay and wouldn't hesitate to go back or recommend it this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: 24th April 2010

The most uncomfortable bed EVER!

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"For approx £49.00 per night including continental breakfast we can't complain. Our room was overlooking the front entrance and the room itself was pretty quiet. The hotel is nice, service is average BUT the bed is so uncomfortable. We are an average size couple but this bed is not only really narrow but the mattress is just horrible. After mentioning this to the receptionist who really didn't care less I asked if it was possible to arrange for extra bedding to be placed in the room & I was happy to sleep on the floor. When we returned to the hotel late on the second night, the extra bedding was not in the room as agreed so a second night of no sleep! Also, just to mention if you need to use the iron - you have to go back down to the ground floor to the 'ironing room'! What a bizarre set up! I suppose what you'd expect for £49 per night!"

• Travel date: 14th April 2010

good

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"stayed over the weekend, very impressed with the clean and new rooms. fab location, would use again. my only grip is that i booked 2 rooms at the same time for 2 ads and 1 ch and we were located on 2 separate floors, when queried was advised nothing could do as full. i work for a major tour operator that uses a lot of hol inn express chain across america and it is worrying if rooms arent located even on same floor. **def request a room overlooking the car park - would be quieter** overall - very impressed worth paying a little more for here def go back and lovely breakfast."

• Travel date: 5th April 2010