About Splash Landings Hotel

• lazy river
  • water park

Far too hot!!!!

Reviewed Fri 8th of August 2014

"We have just returned from a 3 day break at the splash landings hotel. We arrived early and checked in but as our room wasn't ready we headed to the theme park on returning from the park we went to our room as soon as we opened the door the heat u felt as soon as u walk in to the room was unbearable,there was a fan in the room but when we plugged it in it wasn't working we tried to phone reception to tell them about it but no one answered. The room was clean as was the bathroom it had everything that u would need for ur stay. When we went down for dinner we reported the fan and the girl behind the desk said she would c what she could do but going by her reaction we knew there was no new fan arriving at our room.that night was terrible the beds were so uncomfortable and the heat u could hardly breath as there was no air we had the window open as well no sleep that night and backache in the morning!!!! We eventually got a new fan in the morning when we asked one of the cleaners and she actually took one out someone else room!!! It didn't make a difference still too hot. Personally I think the hotel is very over priced at having paid over £500 for 3 night b&b. theme park was great and wasn't to busy so no hanging about to long.the water park was always busy so we never managed to do the bigger slides as you wait for rings to long then having to wait for slide as well but my wee one liked the other slides. We had a great time but hotel room was far too hot."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of August 2014

Overpriced, Unimpressive and Unhygeinic

Reviewed Fri 2nd of August 2013

"If you read no further than this first line - please do not book to stay at this hotel. I booked a weekend as a treat for my partner's 40th birthday and as we love the park, we were hoping that the hotel would be equally as impressive. Unfortunately not. It is a catalogue of errors.

When we arrived, our room was not ready and we were told that we were unable to check-in. So we were told to go to the pool area. We were happy to do this but besides being completely disappointed with the waterpark (I think the word 'park' is stretching it - Waterworld in Stoke is far better in terms of rides and value for money), we had to get out after 40 minutes as we didn't have an armband issued to us when we arrived. This should have happened as guests of the hotel. We had to go back to reception to remedy this.

We eventually were able to access our room. The best description that I can give you of the family room is to imagine a dingy Butlin's chalet but 10 years younger. That is it. The bunk bed frame was broken. The double bed mattress which felt as if it was as old as I am (32), was covered in a rustling sheet - clearly, they have scores of adult visitors who suffer from incontinence. The bathroom was tiny and very basic. However, the absolute worst thing was the toilet - which *hadn't* been cleaned. I can assure you that there is nothing more off-putting to a room than a previous visitor's faecal matter.

We hoped that dinner would cheer us up and sustain us for a busy day at the main park the following day. We were given a choice of the restaurants and as it was as the hotel itself, we chose the 'Around-the-world' buffet. What was not made clear to us though when choosing, was the that the world has made a decision not to make itself available and so the posters listing the food were misleading. The food is on a rota and so it is pot-luck what you may get. There was no Indian and the 'Italian experience' consisted of watery bolognaise and a slice of garlic bread. My partner moved 12 inches to his left to go to 'America' and requested a burger. He asked the chef for some cheese, who wordlessly pointed to a bowl at the far right of the counter. This was filled with powdered parmesan. He asked the chef again for some cheese and said 'cheddar' to make sure that his meaning was clear. The chef sighed, went into the kitchen and started chopping something up. When he came back, he gave my partner chopped up *CHEESECAKE* to put on his burger. Having been to the park before and used the All-You-Can-Eat pizza/pasta place, we knew that we were being served that same food but being charged almost twice the price for the privilege.
I was quite upset at this point and complained. Our waiter was very good and got the restaurant supervisor to attend to us. The supervisor did try to point out that it was a family hotel but as I pointed out, this food was merely the same food at the park and I was being charged double even though I had spent over £200 for one night's stay. They then refunded me the cost of one meal.

The next morning after an average breakfast, we couldn't wait to check out. I wish I could say that it ends there but the after-service response has been terrible. I completed the customer survey located in the room and completed the feedback function at reception. Now, despite my comments (replicated above), the only response that I have received is an automated e-mail that instructs me to call them back. Which I have. Several times. And I have not yet received a call back from a member of staff to follow this up. I have, in desperation, left messages on their facebook and twitter pages which although short, non-offensive or confrontational and request a response, have been deleted.

If I can leave you with one message, it is this. I spent as much on one night at the Alton Towers Splash Landings hotel as I did at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. Imagine the level of service and accommodation that I got for that. Please do not waste your money. It ruined my partner's birthday weekend and I would have thought that for the money that I spent that weekend, Alton Towers would at least show me the courtesy of returning my calls. Apparently not.

• Travel date: Tue 30th of July 2013

Not what I would have expected for the price

Reviewed Mon 23rd of May 2011

"Me and my partner stayed at the splash landings hotel Alton towers on the may 2011, on arrival we found staff very pleasent and helpful, on arrival at our room we just ditched our things and went to the swimming pool, which was nice but very busy, the que for most of the slides were what you would expect but the que to get a rubber hop to go on the flumes was a 30 minute wait and return your hop after your turn, none of this was explained on arrival at the pool and we were informed this by one of the other guest as there appeared to be very little staff presence in the pool area, but on the whole a very good swimming pool.
on return to our room at 4pm, we decided to phone reception to book a table for dinner, the only available time was at 9.30pm, which would be a bit late for anyone, far less if you have been traveling all day, so we choose to go out into Alton village to eat, on arrival back at the hotel, we had a few drinks in the bar, then settled to our room for the night, this is when we noticed our room was very dusty, both bed side units were dirty and sticky, and the carpet appeared unclean, the bathroom thankfully was clean enough and because we were both tired we decided not to bother complaining,
that night we were kept awake most of the night by loud shouting, banging and loud foot steps, then staff leaving and more shouting from outside. the following morning it was a 40 minutes wait in a que for a buffet breakfast which was cold and served at unclean tables and unclean plates and cups, also don't leave your table unattended like we did you will come back to find staff have seated out guest at your table whiles you were away getting breakfast, and staff will not be keen to intervene to help with this situation, which occurred twice during our 3 day visit. on the whole a very disappointing expensive hotel, which makes you glad you get a extra hour in the park just to get you out of the hotel faster."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of May 2011

WHAT A GOOD DO !

Reviewed Tue 11th of May 2010

"6 of us stayed at splash landing hotel on the 5th may for 2 nights for mine and my friends birthdays. The hotel is nice and clean and the staff are very helpfull. The rooms aren't massive but big enough, just a shame the beds are quite uncofortable. None of us had a great nights sleep.
the food was ok, it was a buffet style brakfast which had pretty much everything, some of the cooked stuff was a little greasy but it wasn't too bad all in all. We ate at flambo's on the first night. It was £17 for all you can eat buffet, to be fair there was a lot of chioice and if you eat a lot it would be perfect but seemed a little steep if you dont. 2nd night we had pizza from ma garritas, the pizza was nice but the garlic bread was very dry and tasteless. Drinks were also quite expensive but its to be expected really.
there wasn't much in the way of entertainment in the evening for adults but after being in the park all day your tired anyway.
we had a massage in the spa which was worth the money and also played the crazy golf which was a right laugh and well worth the money."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of May 2010

alton towers hotel and park

Reviewed Wed 1st of April 2009

"Me and my boyfriend went to alton towers on 29th march 2009 and stayed the night in splash landings hotel. We got two tickets that allowed us to spend two days in the park. Parking was free because we stayed in the hotel. Also we got to enter the park an hour early on the second day, which was great because rita the ride had big queues all the time but it was deserted at 9am (our early admission time). The park itself was great as always. Except the skyride broke on our first day. This was a pain because we had to walk everywhere. So we decided to go to the waterpark. This is based in the splash landings hotel. It costs £14.00 per person to get in. In my opinion it was not worth it. Not many flumes and lots of queues to get the rings to use on them. And then another queue to get on them! Its great for kids but I wouldn't recomend it to an adult unless you just wanna sit in a pool for hours or queue. The hotel room we were given was a family room. It was ok for us as a couple. If we had kids I would have been very disapointed. There were 2 small bunk beds very close to our bed. The room would not be big enough for 4 people. The bathroom was ok but had a very small bath. Room was quite. The hotel staff were very helpful and polite. We did not eat in any of hotels resturants at night. We drove to creadle and ate at an all you can eat buffet called china kitchen. Staff very nice and food great."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of March 2009

This hotel was fantastic but is a specia...

Reviewed Mon 17th of March 2008

"This hotel was fantastic but is a special treat as is quite expensive. The restaurant staff catered very well for my autistic child and the whole experience was fantastic the children al really enjoyed it and I recommend it. I have stayed in numerous resorts and this one was one of the best. The swapping of restaurants out of season can be confusing but we soon worked it out. The evening entertainment was really fun for the whole family except my son who hates enterainment but he enjoyed the lifts they are a must as they are themed."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of March 2008

Well,there was a genuine fiasco with thi...

Reviewed Tue 22nd of January 2008

"Well,there was a genuine fiasco with this 2 day stay at the hotel. We had a big family booking and it started when rooms weren't allocated properly. Basically there were not enough staff to cover the demand.

Rooms nice enough, food nice and good variety but small plates makes it seem like you are eating a lot more when in fact you probably ain't. "

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of January 2008

I do love the actual hotel, it’s great...

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2007

"I do love the actual hotel, it’s great for little ones and you walk round open mouthed at the decor. To be honest we went with money off coupons from Woolies and it does get expensive peak season for what you get.

Room wise the carpets are in need of a massive shampoo and the bedroom is small so you don’t want to spend any time in there

There is a family room on each floor which consists of washer drier and microwave, this is a great idea and very convenient if you have a toddler and a baby.

Now let’s get to the swimming pool , totally fab, and makes the hotel worth going to without actually going to Alton Tower theme park itself, whereas I would have just stayed in the hotel before I would now book to go to the hotel itself.

I have stayed in Alton Towers hotel before and have to say if you have kids or are young at heart this is the better option besides being cheaper, you are able to walk straight into the pool plus it has a really fun atmosphere.

Three words about the food in Alton Towers hotel and Splash Landings - OVERPRICED, SMALL PORTIONED and BLAND. Even the feast is 20 quid per person and its cottage pie and really bland stuff. The curry and everything just tastes the same and they give you a ridiculous small plate.

The breakfast was good but no fried eggs. You wouldn’t care if you got loads of food for the extortionate price you pay, but you end up feeling a bit ripped off. Find a local pub instead."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of December 2007

This is one of the two hotels owned by,...

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2007

"This is one of the two hotels owned by, and attached to the Alton Towers theme park in Staffordshire. Obviously, the main reason people stay here is to visit the Theme Park, however, this hotel also contains a Water Park so you can do both during your stay.

The place is a Mecca for kids, the whole hotel has a beach theme, from the music in the lifts to the decor in the rooms, the carpets, the bars, and restaurants. It is quite a new hotel so everything is good quality.

Our party didn't contain any children, just 4 adults enjoying a weekend at the theme park but there was still plenty for us to do. It was during the Halloween themed 'scarefest' so they had added attractions in the hotel such as the haunted rooms and a show in the evening at the other hotel (which is linked to Splash Landings by a walkway going through the water park).

The rooms are very nice, we had a double bed and bunk beds which were all very comfy, and there is interactive TV service and complementary bathroom products which you are encouraged to take home.

The only quarm I would have with the hotel is the price of food, the main restaurant is a buffet which costs £18 per head not including drinks, although the food is excellent it comes to a hefty bill, especially if you have kids who don't eat as much as the adults. They also seemed to be rather disorganised in the bar areas where they ran out of both wine and wine glasses, but maybe this was due to it being the end of the season with stock levels being low.

All in all, it’s a great place to stay if you want to visit England’s biggest and best theme park, you can get good deals for both the hotel and entry into the park with priority passes for some of the rides. You can also get into the park half an hour before the general public so you can have a really long day enjoying all the rides and attractions.

I would definitely stay here again for visiting the park as it beats sitting in queues of traffic trying to get into the park first thing in the morning!"

• Travel date: Wed 7th of November 2007

Alton towers is fab and we have been on...

Reviewed Thu 27th of September 2007

"Alton towers is fab and we have been on many occasions. We have stayed at the Splash Landings hotel on many occasions and this time it has really gone down the swanney!

The restaurant was filthy and the tables were sticky and the glasses were horrible. The staff cannot add up and we had to qualify our bill 4 times.

The bars were awful and the same problem seemed to run throughout - tables full of glasses and sticky rings - no one cleared them or cleaned them and the place stank of stale beer.

The Splash landings pool which we have attended on many stays had changed and the system for the rides was ridiculous - staffing seems to have been cut here as well as the rest of the hotel.

NEW FOR 2006 - find your own way to the park through the woodland walk - we have always had a guide before - Not a problem really but a lack of standard that we have come to expect at these prices.

Only one restaurant was open during our stay and it was the all you can eat place - Pay the £18 or go hungry basically.

When we went for Brekkie the next morning the same food that was on the floor when we vacated our table the night before was still there and the same tomato sauce my daughter dropped was still on the table - NIIIIIIICE.

Well one thing for sure - we will not be going back - it always seemed like a treat and a really nice treat at that - now its like a poor Butlins alike.

Good luck"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of September 2007

All in all this hotel is really a Travel...

Reviewed Sun 9th of September 2007

"All in all this hotel is really a Travel Lodge with funky rooms and those little touches that do make the difference. The quirky music in the lifts made me laugh and the wee boy dance. The water park is well worth a visit, you could easily spend all day in there, despite not being that big it feels like the med with the heat that is going on.

The meals were of a good standard, not that expensive when you balance it up against other hotels etc.

If you purchase all your park and water park tickets before hand you will save a small fortune particularly for the water park as this is expensive even if it's 3 o'clock it is still full price. I received good discount from Alton and felt that what I paid was well worth it, however some people paid a small fortune for the same break and I felt it wasn't worth it. However AT can get away with it as there is no one else around to rival them and people will pay the price. Despite that little moan I couldn't fault the place. Except the weather.........."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of September 2007

I would strongly recommend that if you a...

Reviewed Wed 5th of September 2007

"I would strongly recommend that if you are even considering staying at this hotel DON’T.

We stayed one night and had to cope with a double bed that collapsed and the hotel staff said they could not do anything about it, the children’s bunk beds were so hard and uncomfortable that my children slept on the floor.

The bedroom overlooked a staff entrance and the noise from the staff leaving between midnight and 1am was so bad we had to shout out the window and ask them to please be quiet, and there were several other guests also shouting! Then the same noise level, foul language etc, as the staff arrived just after 6.30am.

The bathroom tiles were all covered in black mould, I did take photos. And to top it all off I wrote a letter to the hotel manager explaining our disappointment and I have not even had the courtesy of a reply!

Stay away from this hotel this is not a cheap place to stay and you would be far better staying elsewhere if you want to be able to have a good night’s sleep, and not have to use mouldy dirty bathrooms."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of September 2007

Hotels near Splash Landings Hotel

Top traveller tips for Splash Landings Hotel

• scunthorpe946 by scunthorpe946

"china kitchen in cheadle "

• carol by carol

"take ear plug to sleep in, to ensure a quiet night stay, and eat out, if you want clean plates etc, and dont want to wait 30 mintues on a cold meal. "

• JenniferD by JenniferD

"Stay at the other hotel...if you can afford it! And don't eat at the buffet restaurant. "

Splash Landings Hotel is also called