Good

nice for price, really good for food

Reviewed Tue 28th of January 2014

"Really good hotel, not too expensive and staff friendly and go out of their way to help.
Food here is the Hungary horse which was good price with good size portions. Rooms tidy and cozy, really couldn't complain. Went to Alton towers(30 minutes approx) hotel location give lots of options where to go without too long drives.access to motorway just down road. When we were running late we called reception to tell them and they were great. Ladie stayed back an hour till 11pm on a Friday night which was appreciated as saved us finding somewhere else for a night.we had our 2 year old with us as well and she loved it but we couldn't see option for a crib but there was a sofa bed in the room.
Would highly recommend to anyone.

• Travel date: Tue 28th of January 2014

Great place to stay

Reviewed Fri 2nd of August 2013

"My wife and I stayed two nights here and were very impressed. Room lovely and clean. Facilities in room - kettle, iron, trouser press etc. Hotel staff were always very polite & helpful. The food in the Hungry horse was second to none. Food portions were big (no room for dessert). Hotel about 10 miles from Alton Towers so a perfect location for resting up before a day on all the 'rides'.

Amenities near the hotel. Mcdonalds opposite, although why would anyone want to trek across the road when the food in the hungry horse was so good. Tesco's is also opposite if you need to pick up that forgotten item that always happens on a trip away.

Great place. Would recommend!!!!!!

Darren & Maria Collins"

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of August 2013

Noisy!!!

Reviewed Tue 17th of April 2012

"Tried to ring staff all evening to tell them we were running late due to a motorway accident and rung 13 times with no answer. Eventually when 5 minutes away (at 12pm) i got hold of someone who was willing to let us check in despite being 2 hours after check in closed. Room was generally fine. Had all the basics pretty much like a travelodge. Iron, tv, coffee/tea facilities. Was happy with the room which we paid £30 for, however me and my partner barely got a wink of sleep all night due to noise. All night me and my partner could hear guests in the room above walking about. We could also hear guests outside in the car park talking loudly at very early hours of the morning and slamming minibus doors open and shut. This was not helped by the window in our room not closing properly. The noise of passing traffic was also pretty loud as the road is fairly close. The noisiness of the hotel was a big disappointment because after a stressful 4 hour drive we would have loved a good sleep, and we were also shattered the next day when we visited Alton Towers. The room was very cold so we turned on the heater and it was sparking every couple of minutes so we turned it back off. I would recommend the hotel in that the facilities were good and it is reasonably priced but don't expect a good nights sleep.It isn't too far from Alton Towers (15 minute drive) and there is a McDonalds and Tesco opposite which is quite handy but I don't think we will be staying there again and may opt to spend a little extra to stay at the Premier Inn we stayed at last year if we do go to Alton Towers again. "

• Travel date: Mon 16th of April 2012

weathervane lodge hotel, stoke on trent

Reviewed Mon 10th of October 2011

"Stayed over one night, visiting relatives, had double room and twin room,
very comfortable and roomy with tea,coffee and biscuits laid on, towels,soap and nice hot water in the bathroom, staff polite and when there was nobody at reception went through to bar staff as the hotel suggests, plenty of food laid on for breakfast, good choice, band playing but couldn't hear them in our rooms, good local amenities,did read the reviews before I booked perhaps we were lucky but have booked again."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of October 2011

very impressed

Reviewed Mon 17th of October 2011

"stayed for two nights whilst visiting nearby alton towers, had two double rooms very reasonably priced very clean plenty of space the meals in the hungry horse dining area were excellent value for money big servings left no room for dessert!!Continental breakfast buffet style help yourself as much as you want was excellent value staff were always on hand to top up the buffet very pleasant and helpful i would definately reccomend and wouldnt hesitate to stay again"

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of August 2011

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in

Reviewed Tue 5th of July 2011

"Staying at the Weathervane ruined my weekend away with the wife. The staff are rude, the food was cold and late coming out, the room was filthy (especially the worn out towels) and the whole building in general is in major need of re-decorating. Avoid this place i noticed a Holiday Inn 2 minutes down the road and i wish we had stayed there."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of July 2011

Dont stay here!

Reviewed Tue 5th of July 2011

"I have stayed here in the past and was really excited about returning again, now I wish I hadn't! My room had dust along the sides, the food was poor taking a while to come out, the bar staff seemed to want to please the locals putting serving them before others and outside there were some locals who decided to throw glasses around, not that the manager seemed to mind. I decided to go to bed early as I didnt want to be around such behaviour only to be unable to sleep due to the noise. To top it of the manager seemed to be very unprofessional, refusing to accept complaints from other guests. This place has gone downhill since my last stay and I will not be returning again. "

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of July 2011

Cheap no frills hotel - brilliant for families - great value if you pay the right price

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"We managed to book a twin room for £30 via a hotel website (not inc breakfast).

At that price, this hotel is great value (although I wouldn't want to have paid much more).
The rooms are simple and plain, reasonably clean and spacious. I would describe the room as a very similar standard to, say, a Travelodge. Not the last word in luxury, but then we were not expecting it at that price.

The hotel makes a great base for visting Alton Towers with family, and is exceptionally child friendly as the Hungry Horse restaurant on site has a child's playground, and there is also a McDonalds on site too."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of June 2009

Excellent

Reviewed Fri 1st of February 2013

"We read the reviews given on this site and decided to give it a go anyway as it is close to Alton Towers.

Although we only stayed one night it was a saturday. We arrived and although there was no-one on reception, (it was 9.40 at night) I went through to the bar and asked someone and the manager was sent straight through to see to us. Check in was quick and was on our way to our room within 5 minutes. There were 2 lots of us checking into two rooms.

There was a band playing rather loudly in the bar and we thought that it would affect us.

However on arrival at our room we could hear nothing of the band at all.

The room was very clean and tidy and had everything that you needed. The bathroom was also very clean and tidy, with complimentary bath and shower gels and soap. The beds were comfortable and warm. Besides a little road noise and the odd person coming up the stairs and through the door, which we were next too, I heard nothing at all. The food and drinks were resonably priced and were on a par with other places. Although as pointed out on other reviews you have got a Mac Donalds and Tesco to go to if you want.

I was a little wary of the review which said about boy racers etc, but I understand there has been a problem, but if you go in the reception there is a notice saying that the problem is being tackled in a joint effort with the hotel and the police. And as far as I could tell it is having the desired effect and made it a very good place to stop. Thank you"

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of October 2008

Okay base

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"Stayed here a few years back 8 I think, so decided to book to stay here again as the hotel was quite nice 8 years ago.
We used thishotel as a base for ALTON TOWERS & DRAYTON MANOR.
On arrival at the hotel we were given our room key (FAMILY ROOM), went to our allocated room and there was a family already in there, went back to reception told the receptionist and he went back up to the room to check.
We had to wait 35mins for them to find a family room which would be advailable for 2 nights. While we were waiting a young couple turned up and were told they had no record of their booking but they did give them a twin room, another family turned up with thier booking and were told the hotel was full and to try the holiday inn down the road.... we arived at this hotel at 6.00 if we had been any later that would of been us.
Eventually were given a family room which was fine the pull out sofa bed had seen better days but the children didnt mind. The room was cleanish, we only needed a bed for a few nights.
We had dinner that evenning in the resturant next door and the food was fine.
We done a bit of research and found out that a local cinema was just down the road, also bowling alley so we went here.
On arrival back to the hotel the Mcdonalds car park was full of boy racers wheel spinng round so didnt get to sleep much before 1am.
We had breakfast in the Tesco next door.
We used our satnav to get us to alton towers and it took us under 20mins.
That night we were kept awake by a buch of Yobs in the room above us who talked so loud even with the pillow stuffed in my years I could still hear about sexual exploits, much to my hubbys amusment.
Check out day, went to Drayton manor 45mins from hotel, but would not return here as we line up all day to get on the rides compared to 10mins in Alton towers (used tesco club card voucher to get into alton & drayton).
Just to top our trip off we broke down on the way home and had to be towed all the way from birmingham to Pembrokeshire West Wales. Thank goodness we had RAC cover."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of October 2008

Value for money

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Stayed for 7 nights, and after mixed reviews, was nervous, however was pleasently surprised. The hotel was what was expected, staff were friendly, although rarely around. Room was large, kept clean, and comfortable. Only complaint about the room was that the bathroom doors lock was broken, and toilet tissue was stuffed into the hole. Restaurant was also nice. Hotel was only 20 minutes drive from Alton Towers which we visited for two days. Overall a good stay, well priced, and suited our needs for a week away."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

mixed review

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"first things first! do not follow the road signs for alton towers when u come out of the hotel car park unless you want the trip to alton towers to take 45 mins, instead print of an AA route map before u leave home for the hotel and follow that, it takes u the oppisite way to the signs which is worring at first but gets u there in 15 mins!! you see we followed the road signs on our way to alton towers thinking 'oh no need for the map' we followed the map on the way back from the park and were most impressed!

right ok so the hotel. well the beds were very uncomfortable, so much so that my back hurt for a week on return from the trip.

The food in the hungry horse pub joined on to the hotel was awful, my partner orded a steak well done and it came out so rare it was practically breathing, i orded bangers and mash, the mash was as dry as the dessert, the sausages were 98%fat filled, and the peas were so bad they are impossibe to describe. disgusting.

there was never anyone on reception.

THREE TIMES the staff put phone calls thru to our room which were ment for another room

you could hear every single sound from the sorrunding rooms and some yobs kept knocking on our door. suppose u cant blame the hotel for that.

anyway a few good points were that you got complimentry water and kit kats in your room, it was right next to a mcdonalds so when ur dinner was impossible to eat u could get something from there and it was also right next to a tesco so when u dnt want to spend 12 pound on a breakfast that (the following comment is simply a predication) wont be worth the money, you can grab something from there.

in all- ok when just stoppping two nights for alton towers!"

• Travel date: Sun 31st of December 2006

Hotels near Best Western Stoke East

Top traveller tips for Best Western Stoke East

• swizz by swizz

"ideal if you are going to alton towers "

• Happy by Happy

"Book the ground floor, back of hotel, quieter, and if you have children like me they are not disturbing people below you. "

• Misty3107 by Misty3107

"Great location if you are visiting Alton Towers "

• holiday282 by holiday282

"alton towers for kids. adults can go to potters way shopping centre, beside the centre there is a museum and art gallery which is interesting for adults and lots for kids to see and do.entrance is free but you can give donation of £3. great value "

Best Western Stoke East is also called