Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven

Somerset, Watchet TA23 0TJ England

brilliant and good value

"well I am not sure where the previous reviewers were staying but I don't think it was the same place! Either that or the Haven park has improved recently.
The caravan we had was extremely clean and tidy and really well equipped. The owners had also left some DVDs and toys for the kids in the van and we were really appreciative of this.
The park was tidy, well managed and the staff were all incredibly helpful. The Bistro served a range of good food that was good value, it was like a Harvester menu so included kids meals, salads and grills.
The entertainment was good fun, if a little guided towards children but the children we were with really loved the characters and the singing and dancing.
I really enjoyed the whole park and I would normally not opt for a holiday park holiday or indeed stay in a caravan but this was good clean fun and would recommend this to families and groups looking for a good base to explore the area."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of April 2008

Good Value

Good

"We (3 adults plus 1 toddler) stayed for 3 nights over Easter. We booked it 3 days before arrival, then read this site, so we arrived fearing the worst. We were pleasantly surprised, not as bad as people painted it! We had 2 bedroom standard chalet it was better than so called better accomodation at Butlins!
The indoor pool was good and early evening toddler entertainment was superb. We will go again!"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of March 2008

Worst Accomodation Ever!!!!!!

"Doniford Bay holiday park......What can i say??? apart from Drab, Dirty, Rundown and in serious need of modernisation! Definately would not recommend this Haven park to anyone!

The Chalet we stayed in was appauling. Really old but more importantly very dirty and in serious need of a deep clean. In all honestly it made you feel asthough you needed to wipe your shoes on the way out! The Decor was very drab and very depressing to stay in, the staff were very unhelpful when we asked to upgrade. The mattress on the bed was extremely old and uncomfortable, many of the power sockets didn't work. The carpet was filthy and full of stains and the wine glasses in the cupboard were filthy.

The club house restaurant wasn't much better, the eating area seemed to be full of flies, the food was very overpriced especially for families. I did write a letter of complaint to Haven on my return ,only to receive a completely unacceptable explaination.

Very disappointed as we have stayed in many other Haven sites but Doniford Bay was terrible. Wouldn't want to discourage people from the area as there are some lovely places to visit around that area, i just wouldn't advise that you stayed on this site.
We didn't expect luxury, however we did expect cleanliness!"

• Travel date: Fri 16th of November 2007

Would NOT recommend it

"We stayed at Doniford Bay Holiday Park at the end of September with two friends, the accommodation needed modernising and a good clean. There was not enough seating, I ended up sitting on the floor. The area was good worth visiting Dunster Castle and village and Arlington Court. The beach was not very good, we did not use the bar or restaurant."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of November 2007

Dated chalets

"Lovely area to visit, we use the site as a place to stay while visiting the area but do want a pleasant base. The chalet was awful, who would think that anyone would want to stay in a place that has orange carpet, red curtains, a nasty shade of yellow for the walls, tiles falling off in the bathroom, no shower, a sagging double bed and stained bed settee. There were more faults but too many to mention here, it was totally depressing not relaxing at all. We did get upgraded which was much better but overall the whole place was dirty!!

As it was late we decided to just get a takeaway to eat the first night, unfortunately the only takeaway they did was from the limited menu at the chip shop, decided to have curry sauce with chicken, never seen curry sauce so runny, on enquiry the young man said "I made it in a hurry and put too much water in"! carried on selling it though, anyone who had any standards would have binned it and tried again.

As I said, lovely area, will go again but definitely not to Doniford Bay Park or as I refer to it ,"dated, damp,dirty"."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of October 2007

Mini Blackpool?

Good

"Spent the first hours cleaning rather than settling in. Wasn't over impressed with the cleanliness of the linen also.
At one point an employee turned up and advised us not to go to Minehead as it was a mini Blackpool! That was not the advice I wanted to hear with two children in our party. In the end we found Minehead to be great.
Also there also seemed to be a continuous hard sell for children's toys. Every activity demonstrated a new gizmo or the requirement for another five pound.
Plus the menu was boring. Chips with everything! We went to a pub up the road and found it to be pleasant relief. Three adult and two children's meals and a round of drinks came to less than the campsite."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of September 2007

Don't expect your children to meet the Characters without paying.

"When we stayed at Haven last year, the evening entertainment started off by meeting a different character every night which the children loved.

On this recent holiday just before Easter it seemed you only met the characters by paying.

At a character breakfast, 2 characters came out met the children for a photo and disappeared and did not stay around.

At Bradleys Picnic which cost £3.50 and advertised in the entertainment leaflet as 'fun and games with Bradley' - Bradley led the children to the table, stayed for a photo and then moved on to the next table.
Fun and games amounted to a paper table mat with puzzles on and some crayons.
The meal was just the usual nuggets etc with chips and no drink.
The restaurant where the meal is held has a junior pick and mix where you can add beans, peas or a salad and have a drink for the same price

The evening when there was a Character Meet and Greet (2 characters) was a hard sell to buy autograph books or pin badges and the sell was aimed at the children."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of April 2007

This is why i see it pointless to 'Holiday' in Britain

"This review may be a little late, after all it was back in 2002 that we decide to take a coach down to Havon Holiday Park for a 2 week breakaway in a wet Mid-October.

Staying in a family bungelow, it featured a bath/mixer shower, w/c, double bed, and a single twin room. The kitchenette area was provided with fridge, cooker and grill, table and chairs.

The L-Shaped longue was a fold out bed - settee, with television that had poor signal.

The complex contained a large swimming pool with changing rooms in 'shared village style'. And small lockers to keep your clothes in at side. I remember clearly hating go swimming as your clothes would get extremely wet due to the floors never been sweeped or washed down.

Outside this pool area is the entertainment complex, with arcade machines, bingo and bar. I hated it, as i was constantly refused being served even thou i was just 21 years old with two young children and forever carrying I.D, it came more embarassing as often they mistaked me for a kid in the clubs, and tried to get me to join in.. I felt a 'rodney moment' coming on, from onlys fools and horses simply because he was coaxed into teenage club.

The chip shop was never open and our free breakfast in the morning was discusting at the time all i remember was hard chips and cold beans.. yes that was breakfast. No tea on offer or coffee but fizzy pop brands such as fanta, which often tasted flat.

Your transport to other towns was limited, only a few hours each day a coach would pass through and the small train station a mile walk away. The beach was shingled full of pebbles and awful. I was glad to come home. I've had better holidays memories in a caravan compared to this poor entertainment and dib and dull resort. So not worth the money."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of January 2007

not so badr

"not too big a site which was good as we didnt have a car , nice veiw of the rocky bay from caravan , good entertainment for 3 and 6 yr old girls, but a bit too much of the hard sell for bingo, raffle and merchandice , nice play ground and wacky warehouse type wouldnt go again but it was ok"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of August 2006

rubbish

"over priced. no beach,. bad entatainment. dirty site. dirty caravans. nothing to see, nothing to do, staff rude. locals are like somthing out of a hammer horro film would not go again!"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of June 2004

Very expensive holiday place

"Arriving at 12 noon, not check in till about 4pm. . Oh well hanging around till about 4pm. Ringing to find out at about 3:40pm to see if the caravan is ready, so it's just in time. So we went I the caravan, ermmm. . It wasn't very clean but tidy. . Sofa and floors everywhere are very dusty,microwave are very poor rusty conditions inside goodness me! So we was about to make a complain and they did ring to find out how we settling in caravan. So tell them all about and they did come out to the caravan to give it a clean n change the micro' . Still wasn't very happy at first time arriving as we thought everything are ready n clean before customers arrive. Absolute agree with some review that the Doniford Bay are very very expensive place to stay for holiday. .. but satisfied with all the staff that they all very kind. As well there a dog mess by our caravan and the seaside. . But we did have a great time as family we try to enjoy our holiday n kids have great fun. Don't think we could come back to Doniford Bay for holiday in future that for sure. "

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of August 2016

going in july , i will review

"Hopefully booked a week at this park through a private owner ,I will review and comment asap on return ,we as a family have been going to haven sites since my eldest was 2 , she is now 22 , over the years we have noticed the daytime entertainment has stopped, but i blame the sun holidays ( my view only ) as they are a business and need to attract the typical British family. Don't get me wrong we have had some horrible ventures with haven (touring and caravan ) but went to the reception and complained ? and on all occasion it was sorted asap .
I think some peoples expectations of a caravan holiday are a bit high .
people make their on holiday , how can a company cater for all exceptions.
I WILL ENJOY MY HOLIDAY WITH MY FAMILY IN SOMERSET . "

• Travel date: Mon 16th of June 2014

Hotels near Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven

Stayed at Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven

• A McCall by A McCall

"Smugglers in blue anchor bay has excellent food , and a large garden with a bumpy castle "

• curlyc by curlyc

"great for exploring,not too busy a place ,good for kids aswell as adults "

• curlyc by curlyc

"blue anchor, west somerset railway, minehead "

• L Masefield by L Masefield

"Roaming sheep / lambs on roads beware! "

• L Masefield by L Masefield

"Fantastic food at blue pub in Minehead puppy? dog? cant remember name - great outdoor play "

• larny1180 by larny1180

"wetherspoons in minehead "

• MrsBragg by MrsBragg

"West Somerset Railway "

•  S Powell by  S Powell

"the smugglers in blue anchor bay - excellent but on the expensive side "

• n.nogre by n.nogre

"lovely people and great views "

• saffear1 by saffear1

"Minehead is a short drive away with lovely clean sandy beaches "

• saffear1 by saffear1

"Didn't use any restaurants but beach was LOVELY!! Pretty steam trains as well "

• EriAustin14 by EriAustin14

"Fish and chips by the sea. "

• BRANDONBOO by BRANDONBOO

"We had a trip to a two for one pub in Bridgwater, but the on site food was definately better quality "

• murdoch by murdoch

"wrap up warm in Autumn - windy by the sea "

• Lorraine74 by Lorraine74

"Plenty places to visit such as Watchet, Minehead, Blue Anchor and Weston Super Mare "

• Lorraine74 by Lorraine74

"On site resaurant and exploring local villiages "

• neillie by neillie

"keep away from the chalets, go in a caravan "

• sally_beee by sally_beee

"Great for kids but not for mums and dads needing a break! "

• The whitt family by The whitt family

"Great family holiday "

• tibbs by tibbs

"exactly what I have written above "

Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven is also called