The Castle at Taunton

Castle Green, Taunton TA1 1NF England

Disappointed with the restaurant

"I live in Taunton, and recommended that a relation and his wife stay at the hotel, which they found very nice and relaxing. I had dinner with them in the restaurant, which has a very nice atmosphere, and the food is well cooked. The presentation of the meal was very well done except there were no potatoes or vegetables offered at any time. The Cheese trolley had no covering on it, and most of the hard cheeses were dried up on the outside.
The Hotel advertises an al a carte menu, but it was not offered.
I would have expected that a hotel of this reputation would have had silver service in its restaurant."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of October 2006

My first stay

"My first business trip to Taunton and stayed at the Castle. The ladies on reception were very welcoming and friendly and the room, on the top floor, was as expected, with a bottle of water provided - why don't all hotels do this?

Only one real negative was the thinness of the walls .. I was woken at 6:30 when the person in the next room plugged something in to a socket, just above my head! And then I had to listen through their errrrrrrrrr bathroom activity before I managed to doze off again.

I didnt eat in the hotel as this was the day of the Argentina v Holland game so spent the evening in the pleasant town, for which the hotel is ideally situated, drinking beer followed by an excellent chinese meal.

Would I stay at the Castle again? .. definately, as it was a good hotel, excellent location and friendly staff. Just hope that all the walls arent that thin!"

• Travel date: Sun 25th of June 2006

Absolute disaster

"My husband decided this hotel would be an excellent choice for my 40th Birthday. Unfortunately it was a real let-down. Firstly we arrived and could not book the famous restaurant. Then we found our room to be extremely shabby with the wallpaper coming off the walls. Finally, despite the snow outside, we had an absolutely terrible night with the heating out of control and steaming hot, and finally very noisy with the windows open. I believe there are many fabulous hotels to choose from in the South West - I would not recommend thi sone to anyone."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of May 2006

Fantastic Food!

"If you a 'foodie' and into a restaraunt that supports local food growers and you live in the UK, this is the place for you. I stayed here with my in-laws for an 'easter week special' that did not disappoint. For £125 a person, we recieved a 4 course meal including drinks, a night at the hotel, and breakfast the following morning. It was fantastic.

The staff was very accomodating. We had to change our reservation at the restaraunt becaue of traffic from from Bath but they handled it smoothly. When we came down for dinner, the placed us in a large, comfortable side room away from the bar with tasty treats like smoked salmon on toast, olives with almonds inside, and assorted nuts. We ordered drinks in there and comfortably chatted as we persued the menu and ultimately waited for the first course. The food itself was amazing. They procurred fresh scallops from Cornwall, smoked boar and quail egg salad, and a dynamite soup. For the main course they offered a beautifully cooked lamb as well as steak and sea bass. Dessert was decadent...that is the best way to describe it. The breakfast the following morning was an enormous buffet. I highly recommend the house Museli which is made daily from local growers.

The rooms were large and the service was everything you can expect from a four star hotel. The ground which they describe as 'extensive' are anything but. A slow walk around it took about 10 minutes. The castle is very stately and you can say you stayed in a castle!

As for the area surrounding it, it felt like an outdoor mall which many small English towns seem to be becoming because of market demand.

My advice: skip the stay in the hotel and go for the food!"

• Travel date: Thu 20th of April 2006

Hotel did not disappoint

Good

"Had been meaning to stay at this famous west country hotel for some time and the fact that my office Christmas party was being held next to the hotel provided an ideal opportunity to stay with my girlfriend. The place did not disappoint which is just as well as the rooms don't come cheap. Friendly and helpful staff. Big beds though the bathrooms are a bit bland. Only gripe was that breakfast in bed was continental and that meant just cereal and yogurts which was a bit unimaginative. Despite the price would certainly stay again if I wanted a special evening with a special person."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of December 2005

Lovely weekend

Good

"My partner and I wanted to get away for a relazing weekend. The hotel was lovely, well decorated, friendly staff- we had such a warm reception. They were very accomodating to our ever changing dinner reservations and to the fact that we needed a later check out time. The food at the castle was very nice- very expensive. There are a few other restaurants in the area if you're looking for a cheaper, less formal option. The staff very attentive. Our room was very clean, well decorated and the bathroom was definitly upto our standards with a fantastic shower! Would highly recommed it to anyone just wanting to escape for a couple of days!"

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of November 2005

The promised gourmet food was not delivered..

"Stayed in the hotel for my husband's birthday (I booked as a surprise) my husband loves gourmet food and I booked a suite and asked specifically for champagne on arrival and to be booked into the restaurant for the a la carte menu... this was done.

However, when we arrived in the restauarant we were given the fixed price menu and when I enquired I was told by a harsh french maitre d that 'it is not being served tonight'... obviously I was disappointed and at the time said that I had specifically asked about this when booking. It was not picked up on. We had the 'average' meal that I could have got from anywhere and not paid as much for. The hotel is lovely inside and very charming the breakfast is nice and they have a great selection of cheeses. It was only when I wrote to the hotel manager and complanied about this because I didn't want anyone else disappointed that I was told they had had a function on which had exhausted their stocks and so they hadn't adequate stocks to provide the menu. I should have been told this on arrival and shouldn't have had to complain. I received a half price voucher off accommodation (which is already overpriced), needless to say I will not be using it."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of July 2005

A lovely place to stay

"We booked a 5 night stay through LuxuryLink. They had no record of our reservation when we arrived, but straightened everything out in ten minutes and offered us an upgraded room as compensation. The room was very nice and clean, the bed was excellent, and the bathrrom was large and first rate. The staff was very helpful, offering recommendations on places to eat, how to get to various sights, etc. The breakfast each morning was excellent - fresh fruit, juices, eggs, bacon, etc. There is a very nice place to eat right across from the hotel, The Firestone, that has a very diverse menu and is not terribly expensive. Overall a very enjoyable experience."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of June 2005

A Lovely Hotel

Good

"The Castle is a beautiful hotel, sympathetically restored and very elegant indeed, you will not be comfortable sitting around in your jeans! But then that is why you would pick somewhere like this. The rooms were beautiful, very well appointed, spotless and furnished very well indeed. The bed was huge as was the bath. Everything was of the highest standard possible. We ate in the hotel restaurant which had a lovely calm atmosphere and very attentive staff. Personally a little too attentive for my liking but that is down to personal taste and what a thing to mention as a small negative! The food was fantastic as expected. Good location in the heart of Taunton although no noise at all in the hotel. Would vist this hotel again."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of November 2004

Beautiful, peaceful and elegant

"We stayed here just this weekend, and its a really beautiful place. The Castle Hotel, covered from top to bottom in lush green vines, was once a Norman Fort and is situated right next to Taunton Castle, which is now a museum.
The Hotel decor is stunning, in particular the rich medieval tapestries and the main staircase.
We stayed in a double room, which was very comfortable and decorated in quite an art deco style. The bed was crammed with sumptuous pillows and matching cushions and a very soft duvet.
The bathroom was clean and the shower was wonderful! I cannot fault the rooms at all. And this as far as I know was one of the cheaper rooms (you wouldn't know it) imagine what the Penthouse Suite with Roof Garden must be like!
It was a shame that the restaurant was already fully booked for dinner that evening but the maitre d was very friendly and let us have a look at what appeared to be a very delicous menu. There is also a more moderately-priced Brazzerie attached to the hotel.
Our breakfast was delicious and served in beautiful surroundings. There was a wide variety of food available, from cereals and fresh fruit to a cooked English breakfast or croissants and pastries.
Superb!
I would also say another plus is the location. A short walk under a port-cullis arch known as Castle Bow and you are in the main street in Taunton. Which for a shopaholic like me was perfect! And this didn't mean that it seemed like you were in the centre of town, for the Castle Hotel and its 12th century walled gardens are in a very quiet haven, next to the hustle and bustle so you can pretend you are in the countryside if you wish!
A lovely place and one to which I hope to return one day, a wonderful birthday present indeed."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of September 2004

Lovely stay in the heart of Taunton Somerset

"We booked via Taunton-Hotels.com as we have never visited Taunton before. We had a lovely stay from the moment we arrived. The room was very comfortable; the service was very attentive and overall very good value for money in a prime location right in the heart of the town."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of August 2015

Hotels near The Castle at Taunton

Stayed at The Castle at Taunton? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for The Castle at Taunton

• ChocBox by ChocBox

"Book in advance to get the best deals "

The Castle at Taunton is also called