Taunton House Hotel

14 Billetfield, Taunton TA1 3NN England

lovely,central, clean,friendly hotel.

"We stayed at the Salisbury over Easter, we had the front family bedroom which was a good size, clean bathroom, double glazing, comfy beds and blackout curtains. Decor was plain and classic, the girls especially liked the chandeliers ! Service was friendly and polite. Breakfast was good. Overall I would definately recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of March 2008

Absolutely loved it!

"Wow, I cannot believe some of the negative reviews on this site- is this even the same place? The Salisbury House had the nicest room we stayed in anywhere in England- and we stayed in 5 different hotels, all of which were nice. The room very large, with a four poster bed, and room for our suitacases to stay open without getting in the way. The bathroom was huge and obviously newly renovated. The whole place was immaculately clean. Even the dining room was beautiful. The location is fantastic, about a 3 minute walk from the center of Taunton. Breakfast was great and served very quickly. We could not believe our good fortune with this place, and would make a point to stay in Taunton again just so we could go back to the Salisbury House. Do not listen to the negative reviews on here- I don't know what they are thinking!"

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of August 2007

Superb location

"Stayed here one night to go to a friends birthday party nearby. Excellent location in the centre of town for shopping. We chose the room with the fourposter. Lovely large shower. Bed very comfy. The lady who checked us in was charming and friendly., as was the lady who served us breakfast. A bit quiet in the restaurant tho. Stairs were a bit steep up to the room. Nice view of the church from our room which is very close."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of December 2006

I Would Stay Again

Good

"I admit that I was concerned when I read the Trip Advisor reviews after I'd already booked a room. I was very pleasantly surprised and experienced none of the problems the most recent reviews noted. I found the staff to be friendly and I had no delays with breakfasts during my two day stay. My room was quite large and comfortable, although the shower was small-ish. The location is a one block walk from the main street in Taunton and is convenient to pubs and restaurants. My only caveat is that like many establishments of this type, there is no overnight staff so you let yourself in at night and that might make some folks a bit uncomfortable."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of October 2006

Utter Disrespect for guests

"My stay at this guest house was met with with utter disrespect shown by the staff and the poorest service having received my breakfast after 45 minutes of ordering it. This was not a one off but happened on both mornings of my stay leading to my vacating the premises in frustration on the second day.

On the first morning of my stay, I reached the breakfast area at 8:45 (the breakfast timings are 7:30 - 9:00) and I had to wai outside the breakfast room as it was full beacause there aren't enough tables as there are rooms. I sat down at a table at 9:00 when it was vacated only to be told by the hostess that it was 9:00 and I wouldn't be served breakfast. I went on to explain to her that I had been waiting outside the room since 8:45 and took a seat as soon as the table was vacated, the hostess replied extremely bluntly "NO YOU WERE NOT". This made me furious but I calmly pointed her in the direction of another couple who had seen me waiting for a table to clear since 8:45. The hostess then served me food but with absolutely not a single word of apology.

I spoke to the manageress about this horrific treatment only to be advised that "I am not the owner of the place and therefore not in a position to address the situation".

The second morning of my stay, I reached the breakfast area and took a seat at 8:30 and ordered my breakfast which arrived at my table after 45 minutes of waiting even though the breakfast room had very few guests for breakfast on that day. After finishing my breakfast I simply paid for my stay and vacated the guest house.

This guest house should only be visited to ruin ones holiday entirely.

Many Thanks

XYZ"

• Travel date: Sun 16th of April 2006

Grim!

"Agree with the last reviewer - even the taxi driver taking us back to the station said 'What was it like? - I've heard it's a bit like Fawlty Towers' - how true! Strange welcome at 10pm on Friday night: we stood waiting for our keys listening to a long story of how there was nearly a double-booking, then 'Oh, you're going into the lounge? - well I'm not putting the gas fire on at this time of night'! The next morning at breakfast we mentioned a lack of hot showers to be told it was 'because the hot water goes off at 9am'. We had 3 rooms - they were all small and very cramped. Bathrooms were clean, but the rooms just didn't feel completely clean; carpet you didn't want to walk on in bare feet, bed was awful - small double which sagged in the middle. Linen did not seem freshly laundered, (worn & yellowy white, no crispness) with bobbly brown blankets - yuk. The rooms were £75 and not worth it. I was surprised to read the two positive reviews, it's hard to believe it is the same place. It is on a main road (traffic noise), but the location is convenient for the town centre - I'm afraid that is the only positive thing I can say."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of March 2006

Fawlty Towers

"Taunton, Somerset.
A recent visit to Salisbury House in Taunton was a reminder of Fawlty Towers. It was impossible to get food at 5.30pm with the only staff recommending a visit to a Pizzeria or a pub. We wrangled for a time over a cottage pie with veg, but it was not forthcoming. No wake up call, leaving me very late for an appointment."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of December 2005

I would definitely return

Good

"We stayed 2 nights here. The staff had been very helpful over the email, in our search for accomodations, and that's one of the reasons we booked with them. We booked the Four Poster room, thinking it had a bathtub, but arrived to see that it had a (clean and large) shower but no tub. We asked if there was a room with a tub, and were offered one of the triple rooms (3 beds). This room was just fine, with windows that open, but nicely glazed to block the street noise. Heaters worked well. Everything was very clean. Plenty of hot water, and good water pressure.

Breakfast was good, with juice and cereal, then a choice of hot items cooked to order. I was impressed that the woman running the hotel remembered we took 1 coffee and 1 tea at our table, on the second morning! The other guests seemed to be a mix of couples and professionals travelling on business.

Sainsbury's is just across the street if you need anything.

I would definitely stay here again if I were visiting Taunton!"

• Travel date: Tue 14th of June 2005

Excellent hotel!

"I discovered the hotel on TripAdvisor and can only agree with the reviewer before me. The hotel is warm, with massive double rooms, and it is also at the heart of Taunton. The staff are superb, breakfast was very good, and the car park was a decent size too. A wondeful little hotel to stay in !"

• Travel date: Mon 13th of June 2005

A Great Find

"My husband and I stayed here for one night in February. We stayed in the Four Poster Room which was 6ft, the decor was superb, the furniture was also fantastic, the bathroom was spotless. We had a view of the church next door from both windows in our room.
The breakfast was great - Just how my husband wanted to start his 40th birthday (after opening his pressies of course!)
The hotel has private parking
It is really close to the lovely town of taunton.
Tryand go round the museum - really interesting and free.
Great Place will definately stay here again"

• Travel date: Thu 26th of May 2005

Hotels near Taunton House Hotel

Stayed at Taunton House Hotel? Share your insight.

Taunton House Hotel is also called