Hartwood House

Crowcombe Heathfield Crowcombe, Taunton TA4 4BS England

Good

Very nice B&B

Reviewed Thu 29th of August 2013

"Liked everything! Esp Sadie the labrador and the alpacas (although easily avoided if you are not such an animals fan). My stay was just so relaxing."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of August 2013

we relaxed with superb hospitality

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"The gardens and rooms are a delight, the food delicious and all with the best hospitality.
Hartwood House is within twenty minutes walk through splendid woodland to Crowcombe Heathfield station and the adventure of a day trip to the seaside by steam train - what a different break!"

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of August 2009

True hospitality in a beautiful English country house

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"A wonderful welcome with tea and cakes on a huge patio overlooking spectacular gardens with many specimen trees and plants. We felt we were the personal guests of David & Rosemary, who attended to our every whim. A marvellous house with large, well-equipped guest rooms with magnicent views over the five acre grounds. Deep in the country where only the delightful sound of birdsong disturbs the peace. An ideal place for rest but close enough to walk to Crowcombe Heathfield station for a wonderful trip on the West Somerset Steam Railway . Highly recommended."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of July 2009

Absolute delight!

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"I stayed at this bed and breakfast for three nights in May and found it to be an absolute delight. My hosts, David and Rosemary, were so friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful and shared a wealth of information about the area - recommending local pubs for evening dining etc. Hartwood House is homely and tastefully decorated, with beautiful paintings by local artists and a stunning garden, which at the time of my visit was overflowing with fabulous springtime plants. The breakfasts were simply delicious and had a wide choice of traditional English dishes but also included specialty items such as homemade oatmeal with clotted cream (with the wonderfully descriptive name"dollop") from the local dairy, topped with berries. My room overlooking the garden was large, peaceful and comfortable although it had no TV, which for some people might be a minus, but for me was just fine as there was a guest lounge with TV set. My accommodation was tremendous value especially for a person traveling solo, as there was no single supplement. Hartwood House is a great base for touring Somerset and if you're a steam train enthusiast, the village railway station offers a regular service."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of July 2009

They may be in the back lanes but they're streets ahead of the rest!

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Staying at Hartwood House was a wonderful experience. Not only were the breakfast and accommodation excellent but the personal touches were fantastic. We were given tea and home-made cakes every afternoon when we arrived "home" after a day's activities, which added to our feeling special and well looked after by David and Rosemary. And their gardens are something else, so pretty and well maintained. There is even a wood to walk through which is magical. I just wished I could have got up early enough to look for deer and other wildlife. Maybe during my next visit."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of June 2009

The best B&B with the best breakfast my friends and I all agreed

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I am writing this again as I cannot find the review I put in last week. Such a lovely welcome to a beautiful home and garden. Made so comfortable by the hosts that we have booked to go again next year. Lovely part of Somerset, lots of lovely gardens to visit and you can trust the advice given to you by Mr. Freemantle to ensure you do not waste time going to anything but the best."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of June 2009

Five star treatment in this B&B

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"From the delicious home made cakes and tea to greet us, to the hearty breakfast - jam or marmalade in dishes and proper pats of butter (no horrible plastic portion packs ) plus plenty of refills for tea or coffee. What a treat.
The house is set in beautiful gardens in a quiet, rural spot. The bedroom was spacious and pretty with magazines to read and a variety of complimentary teas and coffee in our room. There is also the added advantage of a Guest's sitting room .
Our host and hostess were kind, welcoming and always ready with suggestions and a fund of local knowledge . If you want to eat out there are several local pubs - we visited the Farmer's Arms at Combe Florey (approx. 4 miles away) and had an excellent meal .
There are many places to visit in the area and we should very much like to return."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of March 2009

Perfect ending to our vacation

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"After two weeks of driving around England, we spent our last two nights at Hartwood House. Wandering in their beautiful gardens, walking down the shady country lanes and relaxing under David and Rosemary/s gracious hospitality was a great way to wind down after our our memorable trip. I know that my next trip to England will include a stay at Hartwood House."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of November 2006

Peaceful Retreat

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I would like to recommend a wonderful B&B near Taunton in Somerset. Hartwood House is in Crowcombe Heathfield and I stayed there this weekend because I was attending a friend’s wedding at nearby Crowcombe Court, a magnificent Grade 1 Georgian Mansion. As I arrived at Hartwood House and carefully negotiated the speed bumps on the drive the owners David and Rosemary Freemantle came out to welcome me. My case was carried upstairs, my car parked and a glass of homemade elderflower cordial with plenty of ice was provided with impressive ease and charm. My room was also relaxed and charming, I really felt that I had come to spend the weekend with friends and particularly enjoyed the vase of fresh flowers and foliage with a velvety deep red rose from the garden.

However all the facilities that one expects from a hotel were present and correct. There were tea making facilities, a hair dryer, a radio, tissues and plenty of drawer and wardrobe space, and the en-suite bathroom was well appointed and a good size. Both rooms looked out over the stunning gardens with a croquet lawn, specimen trees and plenty of garden seats placed so that one could sit and admire the results of Rosemary and David’s hard work. There are four acres of land in all, but I didn’t see too much of it I’m afraid. I slept like a log in a really comfortable bed and the next morning enjoyed a true English breakfast in a room overlooking those wonderful gardens. Apart from the Full Monty fry up there was masses of fresh fruit, cereals, freshly made toast and yummy homemade, three fruit marmalade. The large patio doors were opened to let the fresh air and sunshine pour in, and I could happily have sat for another hour or so, sipping my fresh brewed coffee and chatting with my hosts – and they would have been happy to let me!

However reality called and David kindly drove me the few miles to Crowcome Court to retrieve my car, left in the car park the previous night after too much champagne. On the way we passed Crowcombe Heathfield station, one of the stops on the heritage West Somerset Railway. If you are into steam trains this is the place for you! And a stay at Hartwood House is tremendous value for money at only £30 per person per night. I paid a £5 per room single night supplement on top of that, and it was still amazing value. I have brought a couple of their little brochures away with me to give to friends and see that they welcome children, dogs and even horses."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of June 2006

Hotels near Hartwood House

Stayed at Hartwood House? Share your insight.