Cedar Falls Health Farm

Bishops Lydeard, Taunton TA4 3HR England

Great Value but not Great Luxury

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Great value, as we booked their Late Availability Rate with the property directly, which meant that we paid £89 per person for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast for one night.

On the whole we enjoyed our stay here, for the following reasons:

1. relaxed, unpretentious and very friendly atmosphere
2. standard of Treatments was really good
3. cost of treatments was also good compared to similar spas
4. loved the Drawing Room and also the dining room - lots of English Country House character.
5. efficient and helpful staff
6. the complimentary fruit in the rooms
7. the food was of a good standard

Not so keen on:

1. the decor of the bedrooms. Really dated. Think gold, nasty white 80s/90's furniture and carpet in the bathroom areas. Tiny, tiny bathrooms (one room had the sink in the bedroom area as the 1.1m squared showeroom was too small to accomodate it!).
2. The swimming pool and spa areas were also similarly dated. What is with that soggy green carpet everywhere?!!
3. None of the showers either in the rooms or in the spa area worked properly. The temperature gauges were faulty, the water just dribbled out. In one of our rooms the water pressure was so low the shower just dripped when turned on and was unusable!
4. being charged £5 each for a bathrobe - would so much prefer to pay a little more and have this included in the price.

All that said, we would visit again, as overall we enjoyed the experience but we would never pay the full price, I just don't think it warrants it with the decor and rooms the way they are. However on another last minute deal, then 'yes'."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of November 2008

JUST FAB!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I have been to cedar falls many times before and each time just gets better, asoon as i drive up the drive i feel a totally wave of relaxation wash over me. I personally prefer the natural therapy cenre than the beauty side of things- more personal, not rushed and does not feel like a convey belt! I had the most fantastic advanced body massage with Faye who is wonderful. I met some lovely like minded people and luckily for me I chose a great 3 days to go- fantastic sunshine so spent many hours relaxing by the outdoor pool and swimming. The food as always- superb and the staff very attentive and charming. My room ( 38) had been up dated since the last time I was there and although quite small it has the most stunning views and very comfortable and QUIET! If you can only visit one place this year make it Cedar falls- you wont regret it!"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of August 2008

One Off Treatment

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"I went to Cedar Falls yesterday after being given some money at Christmas for a treatment.

I did not stay at the hotel but simply booked an expensive facial, a real treat and was really looking forward to it.

When I got there I noticed how tired the place looked.

I was asked to arrive 15 minutes prior to my appointment, but was left to sit and wait until my actual appointment time!. No one said anything to me and so when the beautician arrived I asked her why I was asked to come early and she said she didn't know why! I was already riled and she didn't seem to care.

The beautician was nice but very young (as is usually the case) and explained the forthcoming treatment and products "parrot fashion" i.e no genuine interaction. I felt too that she wanted to get the treatment over and done as quickly as possible. I don't blame her as I do not know the policy of the spa and if they have treatments back to back. This of course though would impacts each person's experience.

The treatment was good but the room was cold and I was left for a few minutes with the facemask on. I hate this because you never know if they are suppose to leave you or how long they really should be gone. I was cold during this time and could not cover myself as I had products all over me.

Afterwards I was sent to a Reception Desk to be invoiced .The lady there was not particularly friendly (I felt that I had done something wrong like dare to have an apointment!). She then sent me on my way and I managed to briefly get lost and was ignored by 2 other staff at another reception desk.

I really resented paying for the treatment because I felt no one actually cared and it was a lot of money. I will never go back and have not recommended it to my friends. I have told them to save their money because you are better off going to a local beautician, who will be glad of your custom.

Signed : Disappointed"

• Travel date: Wed 9th of January 2008

Lovely spa and treatments but dated accommodation

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I have just returned from a weekend break at Cedar Falls. My friend and I went for a weekend of relaxation and good food! We had a special deal which included accommodation in a 'Boles' room, all meals, all exercise classes and two treatments - an aqua-jet massage and an Espa aromatherapy facial for a total of £260 each.

From the brochure and the website (as well as the reviews on this website) we were expecting a luxurious, upmarket health farm and on arrival we were a little disappointed. The house is set in beautiful grounds, surrounded by countryside and the building itself is stunning but the interior is dated to say the least. Our room (which was not the cheapest available) was very basic and in need of refurbishment. As one of the other reviews noted, the shower room was carpeted and the bedroom wallpaper was woodchip which didn't give the room the clean, modern feel that we had expected. This just expresses our initial disappointment, which we soon got over in the realisation that actually there was nothing really 'wrong' with the room; it was just not quite what we had envisaged.

The restaurant, which was equally tired looking, surprised us by producing excellent quality food. Everything we ate was absolutely delicious and clearly homemade. On the down side (and as someone else has noted on this site), the restaurant staff were clearly all speaking from the same limited script and the service, although friendly, was unpolished.

The relaxation area is great - plenty of loungers around the pool, and a real feeling of calm and tranquillity. The treatments were fantastic. The beauty therapists were very professional and I cannot express how amazing the aromatherapy facial was. I have had massages in the past but this was more relaxing and luxurious than any massage I have had; pure bliss!

From the range of activities which you can participate in, we chose a relaxation class, yoga and aqua tone. We enjoyed the classes and it was great to be free to join in with whatever we fancied but the instructors didn't seem very experienced and the classes were not well organised.

Despite the negative aspects which I have written about, I would definitely go back to Cedar Falls. On reflection, our expectations were too high and when my friend and I talked about what we actually wanted to get out of the weekend - relaxation and good food - we achieved our objectives. In fact, we had a fantastic weekend. Just don't expect a luxury hotel and you won't be disappointed. We needed to remember that Cedar Falls is not a hotel but a 'health farm' and in that capacity, it is great. If you can get a special deal to include some treatments then it represents good value for money as the treatments really are first class.

One thing to note is that the bar closes at 9pm but then I guess, again we need to remember that it is a 'health' farm!"

• Travel date: Sun 14th of October 2007

Lovely country house health spa, although slightly dated decor

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"We stayed at Cedar Falls on a Saturday and Sunday night and had a lovely time. The heath and beauty treatments were superb and the food was very good, and the house itself is very impressive, however the decor, particularly in the bedroom and spa changing areas doesn't do the place justice. On the whole Cedar Falls has a special charm of its own, helped by the very friendly staff and we would definitely recommend a visit there.

So, the good bits:

1) Treatment centre
The treatment centre has a very large selection of health and beauty treatments and there is a dedicated natural therapies centre which they say is the largest in the country. Included in my package was a facial, anti aging hand treatment and aqua jet massage, in addition to this I booked an aromatherapy massage. All the treatments were carried out by friendly, professional and competent staff. The treatment areas were clean, modern and comfortable. All my treatments were thoroughly enjoyable.

2) Food
The food was prepared to a high standard although the dinner and lunch menu's had a limited selection they did have one meat dish, one fish dish and one vegetarian dish. Breakfast included a good selection of fruit and cereals and a limited hot choice which was cooked to order and tasted fantastic, the poached eggs and mushrooms are both highly recommended. The menus were well thought out, while the dishes were healthy they were very enjoyable and did not feel like taste or portions had been compromised. There is also a small coffee/bar area which sells tea and home made cakes – perfect for the mid afternoon munchies!

3) Price
We booked direct with the hotel and got a 2 person, 2 night stay including around £140 worth of treatments, dinners, breakfasts and lunch included for £400. We upgraded to a bols room for around £40 extra when we realised the room we had booked only had a shower.

4) The grounds
Cedar falls is set in a golf course, surrounded by rolling hills - there is an abundance of wild rabbits which are great fun to watch. There is also a good size outdoor pool.

The areas for improvement:

1) Room
We stayed in a "Bols" room which was a very good size with good views, however the decor is dated and feels like it was probability arranged in the 80's, it is a real shame because it is in the main house and with a little effort could be transformed. There was carpet in the bathroom which was also a turn off. I would have liked to see a modern tiled bathroom and a bedroom which retains the character of the house but with more luxurious fittings which should be standard in a place like this e.g. drinks area, flat screen TV, broadband, modern by period style furniture etc.

2) Spa
The spa has a small to medium size poll, a good size Jacuzzi plus wet and dry saunas. There are quite a few sun loungers and on the whole a good size communal area. Vistors can also continue to use the spa up to 4pm on the day of departure. However parts of the spa felt dated with a small and carpeted changing room and old showers. There is definitely room for improvement here.

3) Service
The service was very good, with very friendly staff; the only downside was that many of the staff seem to be working from a very set and very limited script which felt a little surreal.

So on the whole; this is a very nice small spa retreat which although dated in parts is comfortable, clean, friendly and very relaxing!"

• Travel date: Mon 4th of June 2007

Sooooo relaxing

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"Myself and 2 friends had a great time at Cedar Falls. We spent 2 nights there and came home feeling fabulous.

Excellent food (including lovely tea and cakes in the afternoon!), great wine.

Our room was big and airy and very comfortable. It was not luxurious but very functional and certainly did the job.

My Espa facial was pure bliss and I felt as though I was on another planet by the end - thoroughly recommend it! We also had an aquajet massage....this was a very strange experience for the first 5 minutes. However, as soon as we relaxed into it, it was great! 30 minutes just wasn't long enough and we wanted it to go on for hours!

All in all a lovely break - really good fun and very relaxing. Cedar Falls is very comfortable and relaxed."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of April 2007

Amazing...

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"One night at this Spa was not enough. On check in our bags were taken to our room for us and then given a tour of the house.

We paid an extra £40 to upgade our room to a connaught room. It was a large tradtional english room (which isn't usually our first choice) but it suited the house perfectly. Bed was very comfy, tv was huge and lovely view of the surrounding gardens.

In our package we recieved free gifts which were left on our beds along with our bathrobes which you are encouraged to wear around the house anytime.

The Spa was out of this world, very relaxing with sunbeds dotted around. All facilities were brillant, large, clean and modern. We recieved a very relaxing aqua jet massage but didnt have any other treatments. The tennis courts were good fun especially knowing we could return to a relaxing spa after.

Our dinner & breakfast was the best food we have ever eaten. Plenty to eat, freshly prepared and healthy. The service we recieved was exceptional and all staff very friendly.

Everything about this place was brilliant and we didnt want to come home. We would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of November 2006

R & R

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"What a find! My husband and I had two delightful nights at Cedar Falls
at the beginning of this month after a very hectic summer of moving
house and working too many hours.

He is a builder by trade and this was a very rare opportunity for him to
relax and have some of his many aches massaged away. I needed less of an
exuse to go after seeing the website. Relax, Rest, Enjoy it promises and
that is exactly what we did. The staff were very knowledgable and
ensured that we understood what all the treatments and massages
entailed.

My husband booked in for a sports injury massage on day one and the more
adventurous 'shiatsu' on day two. Being pampered is quite a novely for
him so it was great to see him kitted out in a bathrobe and slippers,
smiling and really forgetting about work. The way in which the spa is
run means that in between treatments you can duck in and out of exercise
classes if you want to, or just sit and by the pool and totally chill
out listening to the water. Spas seem to be all the rage these days but
having not been to one before I can't really comment on how this one
compares. What I can say though is that we couldn't fault anything and
we felt genuinely looked after throughout our stay

My advice is to find an exuse to go, read through all the treatments to
see what appeals and go with an open mind. Hopefully like us you'll be
in for a very pleasant surprise."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of September 2006

Great Value for Money

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Cedar Falls represents something that seems very rare these days; Excellent value for money.

I recently booked a 'Top to Toe Day' - which included lunch and two treatments - and found the whole experience very, very enjoyable. The food was delicious and the staff all extremely good at what they do. The massages really hit the spot and unlike an earlier visit to a very well known health farm, you don't feel like you are just another number on a conveyor belt as the therapists go through the motions. It's the personal touch that really raises Cedar Falls above the others I have tried. I found the day went too quickly and by around 4pm I found myself wishing I had booked in overnight. Another thing I noticed was that were lots of other nice, like minded ladies there so plenty of opportunities for a good natter!"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Hotels near Cedar Falls Health Farm

Stayed at Cedar Falls Health Farm? Share your insight.

Cedar Falls Health Farm is also called