The Old Cider House

25 Castle Street, Nether Stowey TA5 1LN England

Good

Loved The Old Cider House, Nether Stowey

"This was the second time I had stayed at this Guesthouse - the first time being in December 2006 for my 'Sisters Weekend'.
This time I was walking The Coleridge Way with a girlfriend and Nether Stowey is the starting point. The Walk goes for 36 miles ending in Porlock, Somerset.
The welcome we received from the proprietors, Ian and Lynne, was excellent as was the accommodation - a twin bedded room en suite.
There being two other single guests the night we stayed Ian and Lynne having cooked a wonderful Spanish Paella joined us for the meal. Lively conversation then took place over the next very enjoyable two hours.
I would thoroughly recommend this Guesthouse in a delightful part of the West Country."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of April 2008

Great for solo female guests!

"I have stayed at the Old Cider House several times while visiting the area on business, as a female on my own I was made to feel very welcome and safe. Early breakfasts and wifi are a real bonus! I have reccomeded the place to others as it has all the facilities I needed but with the added bonus of a warm welcome and lovely atmosphere, much better than a sterile travel inn. I will definately be staying again. Nether Stowey is a delightful village and all in all The Old Cider House made my business trip feel a bit more like a holiday!"

• Travel date: Sat 29th of March 2008

A memorable birthday weekend

"Organised by a group of friends (9 of us altogether) we "took over" for a long weekend. Ian and Lynne could not have been more helpful or friendly and in spite of the weather (24 hours non-stop rain) we had a wonderful time. Very highly recommended! You may be lucky enough to meet Furmity - prepare to fall in love!"

• Travel date: Fri 28th of March 2008

Somerset delight!

"Winter in London is horrible, so a delight to escape to Somerset, and stay with charming Ian and Lynne. Ever the hospitable hosts (and not forgetting Ozy the friendly Black Lab), our cobwebs were soon blown away with the hearty walks in the surrounding countryside that Ian and Lynne sorted out for us, with charming pubs to stop at for lunch.

Amazing room (a four poster bed, say no more!), with a gorgeous lounge with an open fire.

Location just off the Bridgewater-Minehead road, but away from all the bustle. But a local bus service was in operation, should we have wanted to dart to Bridgewater for a curry! However, local restaurants and pubs were more than up to standard.

A delightful weekend - we want to return for more."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of March 2008

great B&B

Good

"Just found it when passing by, an interesting and enjoyable one night stay, would recommend it to others,thanks"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of February 2008

Great Place to Stay

"We have just spent another great weekend with Ian and Lynne. We have stayed a number of times previously, including once over New Year. Nether Stowey is a great place to escape to from London.

The accommodation is excellent, and so is the food. We stayed in a room with a 4-poster bed. For breakfast, we enjoyed rum-laced "furmity" (think "The Mayor of Casterbridge") as well as the traditional English with eggs from our hosts' own chickens. For dinner on Saturday, we were served a six course taster menu of local produce (some from as "local" as our hosts' own garden)!

Ian also runs the Stowey Brewery and guided walks. On this visit, we were allowed an early taste of the special brew for Valentine's day. The beer is worth a trip for its own sake!

We shall certainly return!"

• Travel date: Tue 12th of February 2008

beware of cancellation policy

"I was due to stay with my wife at The Old Cider House as we were going to a wedding nearby. However, 12 days before staying we had a change in our circumstances and were unable to attend, so we phoned to cancel. We were told that we would be offered no refund of £65, as per the terms, even if the room were to be re-let for the night. WE phoned back 10 minutes later to say that we would still keep the reservation, thinking that some friends who were going to the same wedding could stay there. However we were told that we had no booking and that the room had been offered to someone else, and that we would not get our £65 refunded. When pressed on this, the owner was very forceful, impolite and refused to budge. I could understand if it was 24hrs before, or if he couldn't relet the room, but to re-book it within 10 minutes and still refuse to refund us is surely unethical and wrong. Beware anyone booking here"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of January 2008

Brewing beer in the back of beyond

"Although we visited The Old Cider House for a beer making weekend, part of the package meant that we had the chance to stay in The Old Cider House B&B.

The Old Cider House came highly recommended and Ian and Lynne did not fail to deliver. The accommodation was not only comfortable but the food was also excellent. The B&B is located near the middle of the village –and for those of you who like to dabble in classic Pooh-sticks fun there’s a small leat running just opposite.

All in all I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to get away somewhere quiet for the weekend -or to enjoy a quiet swift half!"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of January 2008

Home away from home

"In order to carry out my genealogical research I chose Nether Stowey as a quiet village, convenient for me to visit Cothelstone, Taunton and even some places in Devon, where my ancestors, the Stawells and the Sealys, had lived. I was to learn that I had selected a gem.

During my stay of 4 nights in early August 2007, Lyn and Ian treated me as a friend, which was very unusual for a solo female. I often travel alone for my research and usually feel the odd one out. But not with Ian and Lyn. At some point we discovered our common interest in greek cooking, and as a surprise they planned a greek meal together with greek music for my last night. Even my favourite, Spanakopita.

Ian and Lyn have a wonderful library which I was able to use for my research. The Somerset Record Office in Taunton is a wonderful research facility, not to be missed.

Since my visit I have found four Sealy ancestors who lived in Nether Stowey in the 19th century. So, now Nether Stowey holds an even more special place in my heart. I can't wait to return."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of December 2007

just what we needed

"We stayed for 4 nights at the Old Cider House in Nether Stowey at the end of November and it was just exactly the escape we needed. having trawled through literally dozens of B&Bs online and being left feeling completely disheartened, I came across the Old Cider House - not a frilly, fussy B&B but more a home from home.
The House itself is renovated to give guests a comfortable bedroom and a fantastic sitting room, the food was absolutely wonderful (we did one night on the Log Fire Break package which includes dinner and wine) and the breakfasts really set you up for a day exploring the local area. Lynne and Ian (and Ozy the black lab) are very welcoming and also a great help in planning where to go and have maps and books to borrow if needed.
All in all i would definitely recommend the Old Cider House!"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of December 2007

We never actually made it to the place a...

"We never actually made it to the place and no doubt its beautiful but be warned we unfortunatly had to cancel 10 days before our stay and even though the room was re-booked which the owner confirmed he would still not return our money. In fact he took the full amount without our permission which we only found out when the credit card statement arrived and we will be going to court over it."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of September 2008

Nestled in the shadows of the Quantocks...

"Nestled in the shadows of the Quantocks this quintessential village hosts a gem of a bed and breakfast in the form of the Old Cider House. On first arriving the owners unlocked the large front gates and directed us into a secure parking area at the rear of the premises. The car was extremely secure since it stood in its own parking area next to the long garden where we relaxed with a cup of tea courtesy of the owners.

The garden is homely and lovely and I soon discovered that the owner brews his own ale. And a nice drop of Double Diamond was had by all. All the rooms in the Cider House are themed and we stayed in the Poets Room which overlooked the rear garden and parking area. The room was goodly sized, very clean, comfortable and well appointed with tea, coffee and biscuits provided. Sky television in each room was on hand to keep up with the world cup and there was a good homely feel about the place.

The bathroom was a slight squeeze into the shower but all in all, the room was very good. There is a lounge for anyone wanting to browse through the books and the dining area was spotless. The breakfast was plentiful and well cooked and the owners were very helpful and quite charming. They have obviously got to know many in the village and gave much assistance as to which pubs to eat in at night and what to do in the area. Following the owners advice we took a walk one morning from the B&B up Castle Hill to stand on the brow of the hill (through the stile at the top of the hill).

From this point you can take in a staggering view of the Bristol Channel and the wonderful coastline. Following the map we took a walk through the hills and enjoyed the beauty of the Quantocks. Over the weekend we took a steam train to Dunster and explored the medieval village which boasts some fine English Heritage sites and a goodly restaurant or two. Try the fudge shops for a wide selection of tasty morsels. The Old Cider House was recommended to us by 'word of mouth' but you can check it out on its own website. It's competitive, clean and friendly, and its dog friendly.

Not having a dog myself, this wasn't a problem, but do expect to find a black Labrador nestling close to you. This is a good clean bed and breakfast for those traveling in the area. The village is delightful but note that there is no bank or building society in the village. If you need cash the only place is the village shop in Castle Hill where you'll find the link machine tucked in near the back beside the fridges. Somerset is a lovely county. The Old Cider House? We'll be back."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of June 2006

Hotels near The Old Cider House

Stayed at The Old Cider House? Share your insight.

The Old Cider House is also called