Jurys Inn Oxford

Godstow Road, Oxford OX2 8AL England

Good

Great base for a weekend in and around Oxford

"Stayed for a weekend on a great value package and the hotel was able to accommodate our two young children in a connecting room which was ideal.
Check in was efficient and rooms comfortable, clean and surprisingly spacious given previous reviews. Staff professional and cheerful and while you really have no option but to take the bus if you want to go into Oxford, there is a stop a hundred yards from the hotel entrance and a regular service (every 15 minutes) for the 12 minute trip into the city centre. It's also very handy for Blenheim Palace just 7 miles or so up the road.
While the restaurant does have the feel of a motorway service station, the service is cheerful and efficient and both the choice and quality of the food are pretty good, with the dishes well and carefully presented. Breakfast was excellent on both the Sunday and the Monday morning with a high quality and constantly replenished hot buffet; no grease in sight and a good selection of fruit, cereals and pastries. Extremely impressive.
All in all, while it is not pretty to look at from the outside, this is a well run, good quality hotel and I would definitely return."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of February 2007

Cold Restaurant = Cold food = Cold Staff

"We belong to the Paramount members club so use Paramount quite frequently, sadly this was an awful stay for lots of different reasons which i'll list below and will not return to this hotel when visiting Oxford next time. All i will say is that this hotel is okay as a base for touring Oxford but don't expect it to be a 4* its definately more 3 * for service/food - the Menu was the same the whole time we were there which again is not something you expect from a 4*!!
We were not advised prior to arriving that there was now a £3 a day Car Park charge! Our room was small and dark overlooking the rear of the hotel and sadly lacked "drawers" there were open shelves but no actual drawers. The restaurant was always blowing out cool air from the vents (and this was a common complaint with alot of other visitors not just us, one group actually got the hotel to put an electric heater in front of them whilst they ateone evening!!!). At breakfast time the plates,cups and cutlery very cold so when you put your cofree or tea into the cup it immediately went cold :(
The thing which annoyed us more than anything was the lack of helpfulness from certain foreign restaurant staff their favourite saying for the weekend was " we don't usually do this " and YES after having to then arrange to talk to the restaurant manager they alwas managed to do what we requested - one of the things in question one night was instead of having a dessert as part of our 3 course meal was to have a coffee instead ....the fuss made you'd have thought we'd asked for another meal!! But after 5 mins of haggling we managed to get a coffee...to make matters worse my friend asked for a liquor coffee which meant they had to pay 50p extra! He paid the 50p there and then, and got it signed for but then found upon paying his bill he had been charged 2 x 50p's for the coffee - they did remove it but again it was fuss you could do without.
As previously mentioned we will not stay here again it is to quote a previous TA comment "more like an upmarket Travellodge", there are much nicer friendlier hotels closer to the city to stay in - we only choose this one this time because of the "Paramount" name but sadly it's not worth it."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of February 2007

don't stay there, unless for stag parties

"I booked the hotel for my parents when they visited us in Oxford for a weekend. On Saturday evening there was a party in the hotel's "ballroom" which meant loud music until late at night. But the party went on long after the music was turned off. On the same floor as my parents, there were all the party guests, completely drunk and thowing up all over the corridor. Unbearable noise, doors slamming, people shouting until after four in the morning. The hotel manager was not willing or not able to intervene at all.

So, unless you are planning a wild party, stay somewhere else."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of February 2007

Good base to visit oxford and surroundings

Good

"Modern hotel just outside Oxford with ample parking. Is not far from Oxford "Park and Ride", which you need anyhow if you come from outside Oxford. At nort-west of Oxford, conveniant for Cotswolds and Blenheim palace. Not sure if there is a shuttle bus though, so you may want to enquire. The 4 Star rating is correct and the price of LGS 70 is comparable with what some B&B's where asking for, thus excellent value. Room was large and clean. Pity the bed was a rather small "double". Maybe this is because Laterooms communicated one person instead of two, so you may want to specify you want a king size. Roberto and Francesca from Italy"

• Travel date: Sun 7th of January 2007

A sauna in every room

"I booked this hotel as a base for a weekend of sightseeing, next time I think I'll book closer to the town. My first room stank of cigarettes and was small, the so called "kingsize" bed was tiny. Asked for a change and to be honest it was no different apart from the smell.
Got back to the room at about 11pm that night and the heat in the room was awful, I called reception and they said it is a problem with the hotel as it is not well ventilated and they could do nothing.
The breakfast next morning was awful, the food was cold and there seemed to be no effort in its preparation.
I checked out that morning and went to the McDonald hotel for the 2nd night of my stay, it cost about £50 more but was well worth it."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of January 2007

Want Quality ? Try this one !

"This has got to be one of the most efficiently run hotels in the UK that I've stayed in for some years. The check-in procedure was friendly and efficient. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, modern and comfortable. The air-conditioning heated the room effortlessly, and all the usual facilities such as TV, courtesy tray, internet connection etc were all in place.

The restaurant was very modern and extremely efficiently managed - the food quality was second to none, and the menu choice covered all tastes. The wine list was extensive although, in common with most good hotels, I considered that maybe the wines were a little overpriced. However, the ambiance and the service more than made up for that.

Similarly, the buffet-style breakfast was excellent, and the waiters were always on hand to quietly clear the table as dishes were finished.

The toilets adjacent to the restaurant and those in the hotel foyer were of the highest standard with hand washes, colognes, and spotless facilities. The cleanliness was 100% and the cleaning and housekeeping staff should be complimented.

One small criticism would be the £3 per day car parking charge - I would agree with an earlier report on the website that this does appear to be a bit of "penny-pinching", but unfortunately it seems to be something that other hotels such as Hilton have also caught onto.

However, as I was on a deal which cost £109.50 per person for 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast, I consider that the deal more than compensated for a £3 charge, so I did not make an issue of a small parking charge.

Overall the 2 day stay was most enjoyable, and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who would enjoy a far "better than average" stay."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of November 2006

Ideal accomodation

Good

"I came to Oxford for a business meeting and had this hotel booked in advance for me. The website was extremely impressive and I looked forward greatly to my two days in this beautiful city.

On the whole the hotel lived up to most of its billing barring a couple of minor areas for improvement.

The entrance and lobby are extremely smart and I found the staff on the main desk to be very helpful and efficient. Within minutes I was booked in and issued with a room card. A refreshing change after some recent experiences at other hotels.

And so the long walk to my room. The hotel has over 200 rooms and finding your room can become an orienteering exercise. I eventually got there but I must say the signage is awful. Signs lead you in the wrong direction are pointing the wrong way and the whole thing is reminiscent of David Bowie’s Labyrinth.

When I eventually got to my room I wasn’t disappointed. The room was spacious spotlessly clean and very modern. The bathroom had a very contemporary chrome and glass feel.

Whilst staying at the hotel I used the bar which was again ultra modern with a 42” plasma screen TV which was great for watching England lose! Mind you like any hotel bar it certainly isn’t cheap. I would advise you to try the local pubs.

The biggest disappointment had to be the difficulties at breakfast. The breakfast restaurant is on the first floor and this results in a huge queue spiralling down the stares. This is not the most comfortable place to wait for fifteen minutes.

Aside from these issues I have to say I would most certainly use this hotel again and try others in the Paramount chain. Finally I have found a hotel which actually does what it says on the website."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of October 2006

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Oxford Hotel

Good

"We thoroughly enjoyed our recent overnight stay at the Oxford Hotel. It was well located for our visit to the nearby Bicester Village designer outlet (about 10 minutes away by car).

The staff were extremely helpful (particularly Francesca on reception) and our room was spacious and comfortable. We got a great last minute deal (£69) from their website and are looking forward to staying there again in the near future.

The £3 parking charge that others have mentioned was waived for our visit (possibly because we only stayed the one night)."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of October 2006

Great service at Paramount Oxford

"I booked this hotel for a shopping/sightseeing weekend with friends. After reading previous reviews our expectations were modest, however we found a special 'Autumn Break' rate (booked directly) which included dinner and breakfast and decided to give it a try.
This is essentially a conference hotel and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a romantic getaway. However it is really nicely furnished, with extremely clean modern bedrooms. Two of our group were in upgraded rooms and these were lovely - huge beds and spacious bathroom. The lobby is really attractive and all the public areas are good looking and spotless.
What made our stay especially good was the service. A mistake had been made with our booking and this was sorted out efficiently and to our complete satisfaction. In the restaurant attentive staff checked we were satisfied and were keen to please. The food was modern, well presented and completely acceptable. At check out there were some errors with our (compicated!) bill and again these were sorted out with the minimum of fuss, together with an apology for the original booking error.
We expected to pay for parking after reading previous reviews but did not (exit tokens were given at reception). Maybe the £3 a day charge is no longer in place?
If I had to pick any fault with this hotel I could only mention that a few of the corridors were a little scuffed and I noticed a couple of bits of worn carpet. Rooms on the upper floor seemed a bit warmer/stuffier, so if this is likely to bother you I suggest you request a ground floor room.
Everyone in our party liked this hotel, thought it great value and would go there again. Surely this hotel deserves a better TripAdvisor ranking, which is what has motivated me to write this review!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of October 2006

Comfortable room, but not great value for money

Good

"I agree with the earlier reviews regarding the car parking charges, it seems completely unjustifiable to charge paying guests £3 when the hotel is on a major road into the city.

The prices for the rooms are not great value for a weekend stay, but we found the room very comfortable. The bed was good, the room was very clean and quiet.

We only had breakfast at the hotel, which was a good buffet. I would make sure I had a bed&breakfast rate as the breakfast would otherwise be very expensive.

I would recommend this hotel as a good place to stay on business."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of September 2006

Hotels near Jurys Inn Oxford

Stayed at Jurys Inn Oxford? Share your insight.

Jurys Inn Oxford is also called