About Milton Hill Abingdon

• baggage storage
  • express check in check out
  • fax photocopying
  • special diet menus
  • allergy free room

Exceeded Expectations

Reviewed Tue 5th of March 2013

"We have stayed here twice this year and on both occasions ALL staff we came into contact with were polite, friendly, courteous and very willing to help- not just front desk staff- all staff. It is also a stunning venue with excellent facilities. It seems rare these days that you find a place with such well rounded abilities that you look for reasons to go back rather than it just being a stay of convenience. As a result we have booked into 3 other Devere venues over the next 5 weeks and intend to come back to Milton Hill as soon as possible.
Yes, there is a 1970's concrete block of rooms round the back, but inside you would never know, as it is lovely inside. Space for our two kids to sleep on blow up beds, too. Beautiful grounds to walk around and spot rabbits/squirrels. Very accommodating and welcoming. Very good value for money, especially if you eat in as the food is well worth the prices charged. Nice quiet nights sleep on both occasions. Well Done Devere!"

• Travel date: Mon 4th of March 2013

Nice secluded location. Easy access well...

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2007

"Nice secluded location. Easy access well signposted hotel. Good parking.

Room very clean, large size, nice ensuite, sofa in room. Small TV.

Easy to check in and out. No hassle.

Breakfast was superb, choice of whatever you wanted, English continental buffet service all to a very high quality.

All for £65 a night bed and breakfast.

Has gym and pool available, didn't use this time but next time!"

• Travel date: Sun 11th of November 2007

Lovely location but rude and unhelpful staff

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I recently stayed at the hotel after getting married at Lains Barn. The grounds are lovely and some of the rooms in the main house are great. However all the rooms were the same price and a bit hit and miss as far as size goes. As we were the bride and groom our room was spacious and clean.

However, it was the staff in particular that spoilt the stay for some of my guests. After booking a room with a cot for a baby (which was confirmed on arrival) and reminding them about it on three occasions at the front desk, the cot never appeared. The staff the next day then claimed that there was never a cot on the booking. We were fobbed off and my guests had to share their bed with their child. Other guests had difficulty getting lunch in the bar. The staff in the bar didn't want to take orders as a conference was on. The guests had to insist that they wanted food. There was also some difficulty getting them to open the 'all night' bar.

It could be a lovely hotel, but I think they have got complacent because of the lack of competition in the immediate area."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of June 2007

Nice Surprise!!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"My partner and I attended a wedding at Lains Barn and was recomended to stay at Milton Hill House as it's just down the road from the venue.

We were a little apprehensive to say the least about some past feed back, but were assured by the Bride that it was a little misleading so we continued to book a room there. After all, the Oxford hotels like the 4pillars are so very expensive for what they are.

Yes the bedrooms are a little tired, but they were very clean & tidy and had all the usual mod cons. The staff, facilities and grounds are what you would expect from a 4* hotel. We couldn't fault them.

You must see their Italian Garden, wow !! beautiful roses are now in bloom.

We will definately visit this hotel for a proper weekend later in the summer. They are running a promo called Real Weekend where you can stay for £50 bed and breakfast, take brunch til 11.30 and a late check out til 5pm !!

We have attached a picture just before the heavens oppened and we got drenched!"

• Travel date: Tue 26th of June 2007

Basic room dirty crockery

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Not up to usual De Vere standard. Definitely not 3* more like student accommodation or a travel lodge - but costs a lot more! Would not stay here again. Tried the Four Pillars which was much better."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of June 2007

our stay at the DeVere

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Just returned from a weekend at Milton Hill House.
ROOMS
Our room was in the annex, which I was quite please about, as there was a wedding in the main house. It was clean and functional, all you need for a weekend away. Tea/coffee etc, and bottled water supplied. Hairdryer, iron/ironing board, internet connection. Comfortable bed, with extra pillows. The bathroom was small, but adequate, shamoo, shower jel and large towels. The walls are quite thin, as others have mentioned, but it was not a major problem.

BREAKFAST
Something for everyone. We could not fault the selection. Everything was fresh and well cooked. The staff very attentive, clearing tables, refilling tea/coffee etc.

THE MAIN HOTEL
The hotel is old and big. Yes, it is a conference and business centre, so there are loads of conference rooms in the main building, but it is also a very nice hotel. The staff were very pleasant and polite, as you would expect from DeVere. The grounds are beautiful. We went for a walk in the evening, and found the grounds well kept and very peaceful. We didn't use the pool and gym facitilies, but they looked very inviting.

The thing I liked about this hotel, were the free tea/coffee machines and fruit bowls located around the hotel. There were a variety of teas and coffees and even a free fizzy drinks machine located in the "cafe lounge". It made a pleasant change having complimentary drinks.

LOCAL PUB - ---
We decided to eat out. We found a lovely pub called The Hare. It was not neccessarily the nicest looking pub from the outside, but the staff are very friendly and the food was delicious and loads of it. Their menu was vafied and very reasonably priced."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of May 2007

The staff is nice, but the annex is very much subpar

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I stayed here for a four-day conference in March, and the staff was very nice and accommodating. I didn't see the rooms in the main building, because they all were assigned to the highest-ranking conference attendees, so I can only assume they were nice. The rest of us were relegated to the annex. You have to walk outside to get to it, which was unfortunate in 30 degree (F) windy weather. The room was the most bare-bones I have ever stayed in, with chipped paint all over the place, very few outlets (I had to unplug the TV to plug in my laptop) and the Internet access was really spotty.

For a conference center, the facilities were pretty good. The snacks were decent and they had ample coffee and tea available. The bar was comfortable and reasonably well-stocked.

The lunch and dinner food was not good, but the breakfast was decent. The beef we had one night was possibly the worst piece of beef I've ever eaten in my life -- cook some shoe leather for two hours, slap it on a plate and pour gravy on it, and there you go."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of April 2007

Dirty and poor breakfast

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"When I first stayed here I was lucky to have a room in "the house" however since then I have been in the "annexe" which is filthy.
My matress was all stained and the matress protector was very very off white!

I did complain that I was not happy and they could not move me as it was full and "no one had ever complained before!" It is a lovely setting and the gym and pool are OK however I'm not sure how secure the car park is, as there was a car break in at my last stay. Don't leave any thing in your car overnight!"

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of February 2007

Lovely night away

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"We had a lovely big room in the main house with views over gorgeous parkland. We were aware that the rooms in the main accomodation block were dated and fortunate to be able to stay in the main house. However, the other rooms are all due to be totally refurbed later this year to bring them up to the same good standard. Helpful staff on reception. Everything in the room was clean and the bathroom really sparkling. Not many TV channels, and bed average sizr but clean and comfy! The breakfast was really nice and being a conference centre we really enjoyed the "coffee points" where hot and cold drinks and biscuits/fruit were available throughout the day. The best thing was the pool and sauna/spa/steam room. Very smart and fresh decor, and as we were leisure guests rather than conference visitors, we had plenty of time to relax and use the facilities. We used the hotel as a base to visit some nearby parts of oxfordshire, and it was a lovely break. We got a special rate through the hotel chain's website so although it is a conference centre, it is also a great place to stay - not a over plush romantic pad, but perfectly decent!"

• Travel date: Sun 14th of January 2007

Training Centre NOT A HOTEL

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"This is not a hotel, but a training centre. Our room was cold, heating set on timers only. The bed linen had stains on it. The carpet was dirty, no-one had hoovered. The house could be great but its old in decor and has a musty smell throughout the building. It is a shame because the grounds are lovely and the building is so unique. We had dinner in the restuarant, good food and friendly staff. The bar only opens after 6pm, but the guys behind the bar was good fun.
If you fancied a weekend away, this is not the place for you."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of October 2006

lovely setting

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I came to the hotel for work expecting the hotel to be basic. However I was rather pleased. It is set in lovely grounds, with putting green etc in the gardens. The rooms are basic but very clean and have the softest towels I have ever used in a hotel. The food was again basic but good.
The pool however does look a lot bigger in the pictures than in real life. I would however be very happy to stay here again. Oh and they also had unlimited free soft drinks and fruit!!"

• Travel date: Fri 16th of June 2006

Good public areas, disappointing bedrooms

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Very impressed with the grounds and public areas of this conference centre. Do note that this is a training centre not a hotel, and so has that training feel. The advantages of it being a training centre is that even for leisure guests there's unlimited free tea, coffee, chilled water and soft drinks - sometimes also fruit and biscuits. This makes for pleasant lounging in the different areas around the hotel. I also found a computer terminal with free internet access. Nice pool area. Good service from front desk, checked into our room very early on the Saturday morning.

So why the neutral rating? Bedrooms were very disappointing. Mine was cold and uninspired, my travelling companion's very tired, with ugly textured wall paper, stained armchair, unpleasant fabrics and unimpressive bathroom. The bedrooms really do let this place down."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of September 2005