About Park Plaza Nottingham

Good

This hotel has a fantastic location if y...

Reviewed Fri 24th of August 2007

"This hotel has a fantastic location if you wish to experience the Nottingham night-life to the full! The downside to this location is that there is no off road parking, so you have to pay to leave your car on the city streets.

Unfortunately for us, our trip was blighted by silly mistakes made by the hotel. We booked an executive package for a romantic weekend away including king sized bed. This proved to be our downfall! The king size bed (on arrival) was actually 2 singles. On complaining to the desk we were assured that the problem would be sorted out. However next time we checked the 2 singles were just pushed together, nothing else!

On requesting a proper solution to our problem we were moved rooms (with complimentary bottle of wine) and to our disappointment we found that the bed was just 2 singles zipped together. This is not a "comfortable king sized bed" it is a poor excuse for one.

To the credit of the hotel after writing to the manager (as recommended by the duty supervisor) we were offered a free night stay at the hotel whenever was convenient to us.

In addition the breakfast buffet was absolutely fantastic (even though the hotel ran out of newspapers!!!)

An eventful weekend!"

• Travel date: Fri 24th of August 2007

Park Plaza Nottingham

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"After reading the reviews posted I would say I am somewhat in the middle of all of them. I would not say the hotel is a 4 star hotel, 3 at best, but we had no serious problems. The room was clean and quiet and had a great location to the Tales of Robin Hood and the castle, but definitly did not warrent the 4 star rating or price. The Holiday Inn was right around the corner and would probably have been a better bet. I think they even have a pool. While nothing was bad, it probably isn't someplace I would return too."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of August 2006

Give this hotel a break! (literally)

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions and find some of the reviews on this website somewhat harsh. I have always found the receptionists very welcoming and they really cannot do enough for you. When allocated a room smaller than my choosing during one stay this matter was promptly resolved by one of the team coming up to our room to relocate us (they have also upgraded our room on a few times free of charge upon check-in which considering their reasonable prices is a lovely touch!) As for the rooms themselves they are modern, clean and have all facilities you could require. The beds and pillows are also most comfortable.
When staying during the weekend admittedly there can be a little noise on the lower floors, however in a prime city centre location such as this what hotel would not suffer from such a problem? More importantly...who would want to be in bed so early on the weekend when there are so many good restaurants and bars in Nottingham? Bringing me to my next point...the restaurant in this hotel is absolutely fabulous! You must try the chocolate fondant dessert!"

• Travel date: Mon 21st of August 2006

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I recently stayed at the Park Plaza for a business trip. The hotel is centrally located and is a short walk from bars, cafes, restaurants, shopping, cinema and the theatre. The hotel has a fairly minimalist lobby (not to my taste) but is clean, bright and spacious. Security may be a problem as no-one asked me for ID when I returned after dark and went straight to the elevators!

Speaking of elevators: They have high-speed elevators that whisk you quickly to your floor. I experienced no waiting. My room was very spacious, well decorated and immaculately clean, apart from the tired carpets mentioned elsewhere. (This isn’t really a hygiene issue as it is due to a poor colour choice.)

The room was well lit and had a spacious, very clean bathroom, a safe, mini-bar, ironing kit and a very comfortable bed. Yes English people: there are facilities to make yourself a miserable little cup of tea or coffee in your room! – I really hate that! Small quantities of toiletries were included in the bathroom, but this is the first hotel that I have stayed in where I didn’t have to ask for more towels.

Other reviewers have mentioned a noise problem: I stayed mid-week. I did hear blood-curdling screaming coming from a neighbouring room early in the evening, but this was followed by laughter and loud moronic conversation. I didn’t have any problems overnight. You will experience noise problems in any UK hotel that attracts young people.

Overall, this hotel offers accommodation of a high standard for the price in a good location and I would certainly stay there again."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of June 2006

Fabulous Decor Darling!

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"We stayed in this hotel when we went to a party and did not want to travel home that night. When we got there it automatically impressed us with the valet parking service. The thing that hits you as soon as you walk into this hotel is the decor. It is absolutly astounding. Very comtempory, stylish and modern, but also very comfortable. The decor was continued in the bedroom and the bathroom was beautiful. You have all ammeneties including an iron and ironing board. My only problem with this hotel is that we were not really informed about the breakfast and after our party we ordered a pizza from reception which we paid £10 for and had to collect it ourselves. That aside I would definatly stay in this wonderful hotel again."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of June 2006

Did not live up to expectations

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Having booked an Executive room at the Park Plaza we expected to receive a luxurious night's stay - unfortunately this wasn't the case. Prior to arrival I phoned twice to request an early check in and was reassured that my request was noted and a room allocated as a priority as soon as one was made available (I understand the hotel was fully booked due to a cricket event).

We arrived at the hotel at 12 to find that the early check-in was not possible - normal check in time was 2pm. We left our luggage in Reception - only to find it still in Reception at 3pm! Fortunately for the hotel we were able to change for a function in a friend's room - incidentally our friend had managed to walk into the hotel at 12 and receive his room promptly - having not requested an early check in two days prior to his arrival!!!!

Upon returning to the hotel later that evening, we found that we had finally been allocated a room - unfortunately the TV remote did not work, the bathroom did not appear to have been cleaned very well (water stains and pools of water were prevalent hours after the room should have been serviced) and the plug in the sink was not functioning. Furthermore the sheet used on the bed was very worn and thin - quite the contrary to what would expect in an executive room.

In contrast, the breakfast buffet was very pleasing and the hotel restaurant was pleasant."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of June 2006

Average rooms, far too noisey!

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We stayed here for one night (thank god) in mid may.
The rooms are average. Fairly nicely decorated and an average size. The only feature to set this room aside from a Travel Lodge would be the mini bar. But im sure in this excelent central location finding a drink is never an issue!
The main drawback to the hotel is the noise. I am not a light sleeper but didnt manage to sleep through the noise of the revellers from the street below untill 4 am then was woken by the noise of traffic at around 7!
We were on the second floor, but a friend stayed higher up on the nineth and had the same problem.
Just dont bother staying here!"

• Travel date: Sat 20th of May 2006

Just OK

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Overnighted at the Park Plaza last weekend - Saturday night. From the top - very tricky to park while dumping bags & spouses to check in - very busy street and no real porter. You have to pull over, throw on the hazards, throw out the bags (and spouse) and go park in the lot across the street.

Hip, modern, minamilist lobby - think cement & neon. Fine. Nice staff. Gave us a room on the 10th floor with a fantastic view - very large. Definitely ask for a higher floor - main drag is just that - a drag with all the noise. Mini bar, crisp duvet, nice bathroom - all the modern fitments - especially welcomed after staying in cottage-ish little hotels in the English countryside. Also great windows that opened and offered expansive view. Definitely, though, a bit seedy around the edges. Carpet gave me a bit of the willies. Positive - the gym on the 11th floor has floor/ceiling views of the city and is actually, quite a cool, self-contained little spa. Had it all to myself on Saturday afternoon and enjoyed it very much. Another positive - staff very friendly and courteous, if somewhat hard to find at times.

Note - on the weekend, at least, this definitely appears to be a party hotel, so do expect noise and the associated hoop-la. We sat in the lobby bar (NEON bar - literally) and were endlessly amused by the cast of characters at various levels of inebriation attending hens & stags nights. More of a giggle than anything. Otherwise, location is very central and Nottingham has a lot of great little boutiques and bistros - very worth exploring, not to mention the castle and famous Trip to Jerusalem pub. We would probably stay here again."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of April 2006

Good location, shame about the noise!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Having booked the Park Plaza last minute in order to go to the Arena my wife and I were impressed by the hotel at first sight. The reception is newly refurbished and the room was reasonable in size and comfort. The hotel is centrally located, on Maid Marian Way, a short walk from the main shopping areas of the city. It wasn't until 3am, however, the real problem with the hotel started to appear. Drunken revellers shouting, singing and screaming outside the hotel (bearing in mind we were on the fifth floor) meant that sleep was regularly punctuated on the Saturday night we stayed. Additionally, the rooms wall appear to be paper thin as, when our neighbours returned around 2:30am, we could hear every word. Around 6am we were woken for the final time by a hotel guest who had clearly lost his room-mates and his key but couldn't rouse them despite prelonged, continual knocking. Once you scratch the surface, this hotel has a number of major pitfalls. I would recommend it for a Mon-Thur stay but avoid the weekend unless you enjoy surviving on precious little sleep."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of March 2006

Adequate

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Stayed four days on a business trip to Nottingham. Got a very good deal from a last minute bookings sight for the room.

Public rooms ok --- nothing special. Staff polite -- but not too many of them to be found. Room tiny, but clean.

Dining rooms good food---good service for breakfast.

If you can get a good deal on price and need a utilitarian business hotel its great ... I wouldn't bring the family, though for a vacation."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of January 2006

This hotel has a brilliant location in t...

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2005

"This hotel has a brilliant location in the city centre and is 200 meters away from business district and also Nottingham attractions. The rooms are extremely modern spacious and comfy. The staff are very friendly and will go out of their way to help you.

Breakfast was served in Chino Latino which was the restaurant downstairs and again this cannot be faulted. The only criticism I have is that this hotel should be five star and not four.!!!! I have stayed in other four star hotels nearby and there really is no comparison - this hotel is far superior in every way

Would stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2005

The Park Plaza is ideally situated if yo...

Reviewed Sat 30th of April 2005

"The Park Plaza is ideally situated if you need a hotel near the city centre. You literally walk 200 metres and you’re in the shops. It has been refurbished recently and has a very modern look.

The room I had was very large with a king-sized bed and the bathroom was very clean and fresh looking. There were plenty of extras in the room too, such as Internet access, 2 phone lines, satellite TV, etc.

In the mornings there was a buffet breakfast with cooked breakfast/cereal/fruit options so there was more than enough choice. For £5 you could have the breakfast of your choice brought to your room.

The hotel had a gym on the top floor which, although quite small, had a good variety of equipment and great views over the city.

There is a bar/nightclub on the ground floor of the hotel which may get noisy but to be honest I didn’t hear a sound and I was only on the 3rd floor.

I’d be more than happy to stay here again."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of April 2005