DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Nottingham - Gateway

Exterior

Not that bad

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"Having read the reviews of this hotel on this site I was obviously concerned. I had booked an overnight stay for myself and my son in a twin room for one night at the weekend. Yes, this hotel is a bit rough round the edges but I've certainly stayed in worse. I had booked on the Internet and for £45 for a twin room including breakfast I thought it was good value. The staff on reception were very helpful, the buffet breakfast was excellent and overall we had no complaints. The car park is well lit and has CCTV in operation. Also there are signs everywhere advising not to leave valuables in the car, so they are obviously doing their best to address the car crime problem. We travelled into the city centre by cab which costs around £7 each way, although there is a tram stop just around the corner."

• Travel date: 3rd February 2008

Spooky and run-down

Reviewed 10th October 2012

"I chose to ignore the reviews this hotel had as the location was exactly right. However, the reviews are accurate. The hotel was probably nice about 10 years ago, but it is terribly run-down. V dirty or stained carpets; marked walls; ripped wall paper; broken light fittings and bathroom fittings. I stayed in a four-poster bedroom and it really was quite spooky, I think because it was so run-down and cold. I would have been really disappointed if I had used my own money instead of being on a business trip. The only saving grace was the women behind the bar, who was very friendly and welcoming. And the meeting rooms, if you have business here, are of a good standard."

• Travel date: 11th November 2007

Look for an Alternate - This is Average at Best.

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"Not good at all. Pre booked a double non smoking room 6 months in advance - on arrival all non smoking rooms had gone - and was given a room that stunk to high heaven. Corridoors on first floor also very smoke flavoured! Bar staff miserable, not enough of them also - long waits for drinks - restaurant also very low standard. Complained about these issues at the time and also afterwards - hotel management response has been very dismissive - have been offered a 'free' stay but I am a 300 mile round trip away and I am not going to chance it - The hotel have offered no alternate to this 'gesture', therefore I am now posting my review here - be warned - this is not worth taking the chance on. If they not get their act together, they are to lose business. - Not Recommended."

• Travel date: 1st November 2007

Ok for one night

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"I stayed here with my family before flying out from East Midlands for a family holiday and to be honest wish we had stayed in the travelodge down the road. For what we paid I was dissapointed.. the room wasn't up to much and the food was worse than most hotels I have stayed in. The only good thing was the bar Strings where I found the staff to be very helpful and always cheerful. I would say it's ok for one night but I wouldn't want to stay any longer than that."

• Travel date: 18th October 2007

Will not be returning

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"After a recent stay here, I have to say that I unfortuately agree with a lot of the other reviews posted here. The staff are, on the whole, extremely unfriendly and poorly trained - when going to the restaurant, I was shown to a table, but not given a menu to choose from before being asked what I wanted for dinner (asking for a menu appeared to be a strange request, and I was given the clear impression that I was just wasting time asking what was available). Information about breakfast times, etc, was not easily given by the staff on check-in, and I was left in a lot of confusion as to the hours of breakfast, where it was served, etc (as they appeared not to know). The room I stayed in was okay, but not particularly clean - there were a number of stains on the carpet / walls of the room, and the bathroom had clearly not been cleaned properly from the previous occupant. An overall impression was a tired hotel that required a good cleaning, and, more importantly, a good review of their staff training (friendly staff can overcome a lot of problems!). I felt that everything, from asking for a menu for dinner to checking out, was an imposition on the staff, which they made sure the guests knew. Not somewhere I will be returning in a hurry."

• Travel date: 27th September 2007

Comfortable and the rooms were okay, but...

Reviewed 15th June 2007

"Comfortable and the rooms were okay, but reception staff were unhelpful and borderline rude. We were there for a business conference and had the resident’s dinner- the food was so unimaginative. Very limited starter menu, and the soup of the day, was more "soup of the stay"- three days of potato and white onion- yum. Then, main courses- carvery every night. Never thought I would say it, but I was longing for a salad! I think the four star rating was highly overrated, and from the other delegates feedback I don’t think work will be sending us there again."

• Travel date: 15th June 2007

Don't go wandering at night !

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"My wife and I were impressed when we pulled into the car park. We found the reception staff helpful and friendly. Unfortunatly the lift was broken so we had to take stairs which were rather sticky under foot. The room was bright, airy and clean. Due to the weather being sunny and wamr we went for a walk round the hotel ground hoping to find an outside seating area. None to be found, so, we went and sat in the bar. (Perhaps that is the plan!). After dinner (faultless) we went for a walk outside the hotel grounds. This is most certainly a mistake. We got as far as a boarded up pub that had the sound of breaking glass inside and decided to turn back. The bed was fine. We were woken up after about an hour by the sound of tires screeching round the car park. The was worrying as we have a high performance car. Next we had the sound of the police helicopter over head. This went on for most of the night. The next morning we were advised by the staff that this was quite normal. We won't be staying again but that is down to the area rather than the hotel. Needless to say, we didn't evan bother going on to Nottingham!"

• Travel date: 11th June 2007

Not somewhere you would stay by choice

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Room smelt awful, beds uncomfortable, sticky bathroom floor was a worry but the power shower is great! Food just ok, nice bar area but witnessed a terrible fight here which injured 2 completely innocent parties. Staff are a mix of super helpful professionals and uninterested, untrained kids. And yes, due to it's location (bordering 3 of the most deprived neighbourhoods in Nottm), there is a terrible problem with the car crime. But to be fair to the hotel, they now employ policemen to patrol the car park for a few hours each night and this has really helped. A staff member did tell me that most of the break-ins are due to people leaving valubles items on show so just make sure you hide it or take it with you!"

• Travel date: 16th April 2007

Nottingham Juggling convention Gateway Hotel

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"Have just returned from 4 days stay at this hotel. Found these reviews after we had booked and was a bit concerned as to what we would find on arrival. We arrived and found the receptionist to be very helpful. They have had trouble with car break ins in the past but now this seems to be almost non existant mainly due to a large presence of community police on bikes around the area. We found the restaraunt breakfast and carvery evening meals to be well above average also very eager to please staff.The room was of a good standard and only the w.c. seat which was loose needed attention.We stayed with about 60 other jugglers attending the British Juggling Convention and found they all had a great time with no complaints Maybe reading some bad reviews has made them try harder and if so they have succeeded. Would return to this hotel again if in the area."

• Travel date: 16th April 2007

what rubbish

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"the staff were unhelpful and there was a fight in the hotel bar the police had to be called and the staff were not trained to deal with the incident.The hotel is outside the city is expensive and the food is terrible.You would be better off staying somewhere else as this hotel is amongst the worst we have stayed at"

• Travel date: 15th February 2007