The Executive Room at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham

Good
2058 reviews
Good

Exec Rooms are worth paying for

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"I've stayed at this hotel twice and this was the first time we had been upgraded to the Executive Floor (husband has a Platinum card with Holiday Inn) Our room was lovely and the bedrooms are a very good size, I would honestly say they are double the size of their standard rooms! The pictures on the Holiday Inn website seem to be taken using a camera with a wide angle lens so the rooms look a decent size, however, I think the Executive rooms appear smaller than they are whereas the standard rooms look small in the picture and when you get there you find out they are tiny. The Executive Lounge was very comfortable, serving continental breakfast and snacks later in the afternoon. Good range of drinks available with soft drinks, beer/lager and wine. There was also a coffee machine which suprisingly for a machine made a various types of lovely coffee. The lounge was quiet during the day but busier at night, I would ask for a room as far away from the lounge as possible as it could get quite noisy. We would stay at the Crowne Plaza again but only during the winter as its very well placed for the shops and restaurants and I am quite lazy about walking around when its freezing outside. During the summer we prefer to stay at the Holiday Inn Castle Marina. Rooms have just been refurbished, they are also a good size so comfortable for a weekend stay, car parking is free and the marina area is lovely, on a nice day its a beautiful walk along the canal into Nottingham centre."

• Travel date: 29th April 2007

Beware size of room size

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"Beware the size of the bedrooms! This is not a Crown Plaza standard hotel. We intended to stay on Easter Sunday but after checking in and seeing the size of the Single rooms that have been converted to Doubles after the hotel has changed its format from Moathouse to Holiday Inn we decided to complain and ask for a larger room. The reception staff were well versed at turning down this application and had obviously had this problem on numerous occasions. We were offered a larger room for an extra charge of £40 so decided to leave and find a nicer hotel with nicer staff."

• Travel date: 8th April 2007

Lovely hotel set right in the middle of ...

Reviewed 17th February 2007

"Lovely hotel set right in the middle of this beautiful city. Our room was very comfortable if a little small. The bathroom was immaculate with complimentary toiletries. The breakfast was very nice with plenty of hot and cold food to choose from. Thy also have a lovely bar with friendly staff and plenty of seating. If you stay until Sunday, the Kings Carvery Sunday Roast is a must-eat! Every kind of meat and vegetable you could ask for and delicious deserts, all for a very reasonable price. Would highly recommend."

• Travel date: 17th February 2007

Mums - go on your own!

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"I do not live far from Nottingham but just wanted to get away for a night - to get a good nights sleep!!!!! No husband snoring, no dog barking at the first sound of the morning and no child backwards and forwards to the toilet in the night!!! I booked in around 2 o'clock - the room was clean and very comfortable - I had a bathrobe waiting and there were tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was very clean. After a bit of shopping in town - and the hotel is only a few minutes walk from the centre - I arrived back in the room. Went for a luxurious swim in a nice warm pool - then back to the room. Bath - book and room service. This was quite expensive for what I got, but thats usually the case. Quite a lot to choose from but when it came I was pleased with what I got - took a good hour to arrive though. The room was warm and I could adjust the heating to suit me. The reception staff were very "clinical" not a personal welcome. But helpful for any queries. A good nights sleep was had and I would definately go back again If you can get a deal on the room it makes it much more affordable - if not - a little on the expensive side. It would be great for a long weekend - close to the theatre, shops and not far from the castle."

• Travel date: 31st January 2007

Clean room nice breakfast

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Stayed at Crowne Plaza for one night after a Christmas party. Double room was a little on the small side but clean, well equipped with comfortable bed and reasonable quality furniture. The shower worked well. The aircon/heating worked. Breakfast was very tasty with a reasonable choice. Car Parking is expensive at £9.50 overnight. The hotel is well located for walking around central Nottingham."

• Travel date: 16th December 2006

Poor cleanliness inexcusable

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Checked into second floor room - beware as you will be overlooking the glass roof of the restaurant area and can see little else. On inspection 'hairy bathroom floor' found. On complaining, moved to fifth floor room (upgraded), but still same problem. Sorry, but I don't want the previous occupants' hairs on the bathroom floor thank you. Housekeeping called and remedied problem. Complained on checking out and received reduction on bill. The swimming pool is also very small."

• Travel date: 24th November 2006

Exceptional, truly excellent

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"A great hotel that really made our weekend. Location is perfect – it was literally a three minute walk to everywhere we needed to go with lots of restaurants and bars on our doorstep. The hotel itself was just what we wanted for a short weekend break. It’s perfectly clean. Service is excellent – staff were extremely efficient and friendly. Rooms are fairly small but perfectly formed and immaculately clean. We got a perfect night’s sleep. The pool, sauna and steam room facilities were great – we had an early morning swim at 7.30 and the pool was quite empty. Couldn’t fault it. Breakfast was delicious. Forget what anyone else has said about the buffet – it was great with a huge variety for the continental, English and American options. All totally fresh and really tasty. Next time we’re in Nottingham we’re definitely staying at the Crowne Plaza. We were only at the hotel for one night but felt like we’d had a proper weekend break."

• Travel date: 13th November 2006

OK, but very poor breakfast

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"I stayed here for two nights in September 2006. The rooms are quite nice and overall the hotel is pleasant, especially for the room only rate. However, my strong advice is to avoid the breakfast unless you are on an inclusive rate. It is £16 (!!) - for that you get tasteless sausages; dry scrambled egg; pre-cooked, rubberised fried eggs; and crossiants that you could use to hammer nails into a steel plate! The service is frankly grim - getting a coffee top-up was an exercise in negotiation that makes the MNiddle-East look like a walk in the park. If this was priced at £5 it would be a con - at £16 it is scandalous. My advice is that within 5 mins walk of the hotel you can get better food in a nicer environment for a quarter of the price - you know it makes sense!"

• Travel date: 10th September 2006

Expensive Car Park

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"Parked for less than 24 hours and was charged £21. Seemed excessive, so left the ticket at the desk for a written explanation. Guess what? It never came! This used to be the best Hotel in Nottingham, but sadly overall standards have dropped very low."

• Travel date: 21st August 2006

Lovely hotel in central location

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Stayed here for one night and was really pleased with the hotel. On arrival, I was greeted by a very nice receptionist who told me where everything was in the hotel. The main area is lovely, like an avenue with bar, restaurant meeting rooms etc going off it, lots of palm trees and a nice glass roof Rooms were nice, although could have been a big bigger. (We booked through laterooms, so we probably got the 'small double' ) Furniture was good quality, all matching with no mdf in sight! Plasma tv had a very good picture. Plenty of tea, coffee etc. Also 2 complementary bottles of mineral water. Mini bar was overpriced but nothing new there, and was big enough to put some of our own snacks in. Bathroom nice with powerful shower that didn't change temperature halfway through! Bathrobes laid out on bed when we arrived, but were a bit thick to wear in the heatwave we were having. No problems with air con, which is good as our windows didn't open. Pool was very clean with sauna, steam room and a jacuzzi, health club staff very friendly. Didn't try restaurant in evening, but did have fantastic breakfast - Plenty of hot food choice that didnt run out, with piles of fresh fruit, pastries, yoghurt etc. It lost a star because of the refurbishment in the bar, but not really their fault Excellent city centre location - about 10 mins walk from train station. Parking is £9 for overnight parking although you can leave your car there for the rest of the day after you check out in case you have more sightseeing to do. Overall I would definitately recommend this hotel as it's excellent value for money."

• Travel date: 10th August 2006

Poor Air Conditioning

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"Hotel rooms appear to have been recently refurbished and provide a good standard of accomodation. Stayed at the end of June for a conference and found the whole hotel very hot - especially in the meeting room area. Perhaps the a/c hasn't been refurbished yet? Very good location right in the middle of Nottingham and adjacent car parking. Standard hotel buffet breakfast but very uninspired conference dinner. Only 1 out of the 2 lifts was working which made getting up and down to the hotel rooms a slow process."

• Travel date: 1st July 2006

Booked to stay for three weeks on busine...

Reviewed 30th September 2005

"Booked to stay for three weeks on business. 1st week room was so noisy as placed by the swinging fire doors and was disturbed all night. Rooms are awful and not sound proof at all - I was woken up by next doors alarm call, even them using the bathroom facilities and by people chatting outside room. Specifically asked for second week for a room away from the swinging doors - allocated a room between two sets of swinging fire doors and right outside lift. Was booked in for 7 nights but left after one. Highlighted problems to staff who were unhelpful and did not want to resolve the issue. Rooms are very dated , very hot and stuffy and horrendously noisy. DO NOT STAY HERE. "

• Travel date: 30th September 2005