Exterior

Wonderful

Reviewed 30th January 2013

"My wife and I wanted to go away for our first wedding anniversary and this place seemed to suit what we were looking for but the reality was far better than we could have hoped for The setting is beautiful, the hotel is incredibly peaceful, the room was wonderful and the food was simply divine. The staff were never intrusive and yet were so friendly and helpful that nothing seemed too much trouble for them. I cannot recommend this hotel enough and we certainly intend to go back."

• Travel date: 7th October 2008

Wonderful country manor

Reviewed 23rd January 2013

"The staff at the Cockeliffe were great with my late check in. I didn't arrive until 9.30pm. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed, but they offered to make me sandwiches to bring up to my room. Driving to the house at night, you drive down a country lane and through some woods. It's quite special. The house has a fountain and gravel driveway outside which are all lit up. The perfect country manor. The door it old and wooden, and you very much feel the grandness of it all. I stayed in a blue french styled room that is in one of the turrets so it was round. Absolutely massive. Big firm bed. French, white furniture to match. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub, which I almost felt guilty switching on at 10pm - but i was there for only one night so pah to that! Still lots of hot water left. There's also complimentary water in the fridge. There is a TV and cd player in the room. But take advantage of how quiet it is out there. You can only hear the wind. Woke up to the view of the wonderful and huge garden. Breakfast was great. I was the only one there, music plays in the background and I wasn't disturbed whilst I ate. Only 15mins into the centre of Nottingham. Perfect stay and I hope to be back!"

• Travel date: 14th August 2008

Worth a look if you're not in a rush

Reviewed 24th January 2013

"Agree with other traveller's review that the service did not necessarily match the amazing property and fantastic, individualistic rooms/decor. The wait staff were friendly but confused, and there was no sense of urgency (we stayed on business and the following morning were held up by a very slow breakfast process - about 45 minutes!). HOWEVER, the food is exquisite, great wines, beautiful grounds and luscious accommodation. If you're going to relax, do it here - a hidden gem!"

• Travel date: 23rd July 2008

Rural comfort

Reviewed 16th January 2013

"We stayed here for one night, in a comfortable room adjacent the main hotel building (one of the rooms in which dogs are allowed). The main building is an attractive 'manor house' type place, obviously popular for weddings. Dinner was better than expected, although not cheap. It was served in a smal and slightly overheated dining room, with piped music, which was a pity, although it faded into the background once the room filled up. A decent wine list, not too pricey, although no pudding wines, which was a shame as the pud was particularly good. Breakfast was a substantial buffet, with all the guests eating at one very large table, slightly oddly. The grounds are pleasant and well maintained, and although the place is only just outside Nottingham, there is a very rural feel to it (emphasised by the whiff of the nearby pig farm). The service was pleasant and efficient, and unfazed by our dog leaving muddy paw prints on the white settee."

• Travel date: 29th May 2008

Amazing.....food service room....everything!!!

Reviewed 7th January 2013

"This was the first time I had stayed at this hotel and with it being tucked away it toook some finding but once I got there I was blown away. Pulling upto the drive you are greeted with a beautiful old country house in superb grounds. Me and my husband got out of the car and started to get out our luggage when the manager came out and greeted us and helped us in with our luggage. After check in he took us to our room, The French Room. WOW...It had a very authentic European feel and every little touch made me feel like I was out of the Uk, if only for the night. When we went down for dinner we were given menus and the young lady behind the bar suggested maybe a glass of Champagne to start the night off, WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!, and it got even better from there. Our food was second to none, a little soup to start then came the starters. We had an amazing bellypork dish and the scallops were cooked to perfection, followed by 2 venison which was amazingly tender. Then we had something called a TASTE OF APPLE for dessert.....4 mini apple desserts on a plate.......what a treat!! We then retired to our rooms to relax and enjoy the rest of what had been a fantastic day. You must try it for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: 14th November 2007

Disappointing stay

Reviewed 7th January 2013

"I stayed at the Hotel while my husband had cardiac surgery at the adjacent Park Hospital. The room was wonderful.Decor fantastic. I anticipated that the service and food would match. Unhappily this was not so. No effective management, just a group of people trying to do their best, which was not good enough."

• Travel date: 26th August 2007

Would happily move in here if I could afford it!

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"The hotel is stunning. We stayed as a Valentine treat following a wonderful stay in October last year. We stayed in the Carpenters room (Room 10) which is set apart from the hotel itself. The room is absolutely gorgeous with really high ceilings and decorated in a simple, modern style in browns and creams (with a strange bird cage thing on the wall which is very nice but a bit odd!) There's even chocolates to great you when you get in. The TV reception is a bit crappy but in a room like this the last thing you want to do is watch tele! There's also a DVD player and CD player which is a nice touch. The staff are friendly and remembered things about us from our first stay which I thought was lovely and the Brasserie serves food to die for. I cannot recommend this place highly enough."

• Travel date: 24th March 2007

Very pleasant, lovely room

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"We stayed one night at the cockliffe house hotel. We had a friendly welcome (there is no reception, ring the bell). Our room had a view of fields at the front and a pig farm at the back! Luckily no pig noises keeping us awake though. Our room was really lovely, nice furnished, 4 poster bed, had dvd and cd player and all the other bits and pieces that make your stay more comfy. Huge bathroom with free standing bath. The hotel is very nicely decorated in an individual style not like a chain hotel. We had dinner from the brasserie menu which was fine, pub style food. All in all a really nice, relaxing friendly hotel with great rooms, highly recommended. We booked direct with the hotel on the day of stay and they gave us the £95 rate same as late rooms. If you are thinking of staying at the nottingham belfry hotel 20 mins away - DON'T! Stay at the cockliffe house instead"

• Travel date: 6th March 2007

Fab hotel, freindly staff

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"We stayed at Cockliffe in December 2006 for a business meeting. We booked the venue as it looked different and more personal that a large chain hotel. The hotel is small and personable with an atmosphere that you do not get at a large chain. Our meeting was well catered for and the staff were very helpful (if not sometimes difficult to find - a reception area would be helpful) We had a fabulous evening meal and retired to the bar where we were made to feel very much at home by the very friendly and hospitable staff. The manager bent over backwards to facilitate all of our requests with a cheerful manner. We stayed in the bar late into the evening and we were never made to feel unwelcome or hurried. We would thoroughly recommend using this hotel as a venue for a company outing as although there were other guests in the hotel we felt that we had the place to ourselves. Miss Head"

• Travel date: 23rd January 2007

Fantastic

Reviewed 9th January 2013

"We have just returned from 2 lovely days staying at Cockliffe Country House Hotel for our wedding. The wedding was on Saturday but we decided to stay the night before as well. Overall during our stay we were made to feel completely at ease and nothing was too much trouble. On the Friday evening we booked a table, in advance, for 12 people, and although there were other diners at Cockliffe, it felt like we had the place to ourselves. The following day and night we did have Cockliffe to ourselves as we had booked to have the ceremony and evening reception here, which by default included all 10 rooms as well, which meant that non wedding party guests were not at the venue. This was very special as we had the run of the house for the day and night. Once again the level's of service offered was second to none. The food on both days was excellent, all locally sourced, and cooked very well. If you are thinking about cockliffe as your wedding venue my suggestion would be to book it now and to make sure, if you can, that you do as we did and get exclusive rights to the house for the day and night, you will not be dissapointed. Equally, if you want a nice evening out, in lovely surroundings for dinner, once again, Cockliffe is thoroughly recommended. We will be going back in the near future for dinner, with friends and will stay again next year for our anniversary."

• Travel date: 22nd November 2006

Mixed feelings but certainly better than expected

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We booked 2 nights at his hotel in September as we were attending a friend's wedding and wanted a quiet place to recover from the festivities. I had not yet read the reviews on this website so I was very much looking forward to our stay. However, when I did, I would have cancelled the reservation if it was not too late to book elsewhere. Expecting the worse I was happily surprised as it is obvious that much effort has been put into customer service recently. Nevertheless there were still a couple of hiccups. Originally, I had only booked for the friday night and had requested room 9 as I had been told it was the quieter in the house (as it is a cottage standing by itself in the park). A few days later I had added an extra night requesting the same room. It is lucky that, the morning of our departure, I rang the hotel to double-check as there was no record of my second call. Fortunately the lady I spoke to was very helpful and managed to move another customer so that we could have room 9 for the 2 consecutive nights. It was also lucky that the hotel was practically empty, otherwise this may have been a bit of a problem. The reception area is non-existent but the young lady who welcomed us was friendly enough. Our room was very quiet and peaceful, exactly what we had in mind, but the heating was not on; and it was a cold room! We were brought a heater which broke down after a few minutes but the manager found another one and brought it to us with a smile. They were some belgium chocolates in our room as a gift but they were not the nicest, being near past the sell-by date. The evening dinner was nothing special but good and the chef took the time to come to our table to describe some of the dishes when I asked for some information. A mixed experience really but all in all our stay went smoothly and the place totally fitted the purpose. However, one cannot help feeling that all of the staff are trying to be on best behaviour and, at times, it can feel rather contrived and touch and go. lf staying at this hotel had been the only reason for our trip we might have been slightly disappointed as, at £120 a night, one would expect some of the points just mentioned not to have been overlooked. We may stay there if we visit again this part of the world but I certainly would not make the trip especially."

• Travel date: 16th November 2006

Great...Great...Great

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"Where do I start, I had an absolute fabulous time. I booked via laterooms, and later went on to trip advisor to read the reviews and was then a little reluctant to stay. However on arrival all my fears were laid to rest. I was greated by helpful friendly staff, had a wonderful meal and then was given an upgrade on my room. I think the room from their website is called the carpenters it was a large room with air con. I must say the people who wrote those other reviews must have got the wrong hotel as I found nothing to complain about and can only give praise to the wonderful staff and warm feeling the hotel provides."

• Travel date: 14th November 2006

Hotels near Cockliffe Country House Hotel

Cockliffe Country House Hotel is also called

• cockliffe country hotel
  • hotel cockliffe country
  • hotel cockliffe country house