Front of the Hotel

Good

Loved the outdoor hot tub

Reviewed 24th January 2013

"I got this from Late Rooms for £99 for twin room per night (I stayed 2 nights with my 12 year old). My mum decided to stay for one night after I had booked and was told they could put a z bed in our room. On first enquiring though I was told that it would be £40 extra but when I rang up again to change the day my mum was staying I was told, no, it should only be £15 extra, not £40. I was very pleased with that and was also pleased on arrival when we were in a family room so there was a separate room to the side with a pull out sofa bed. Breakfast was fantastic (pity I didn't have much of an appetite during my stay). Loads of choice (eg fruits, yoghurts, different breads, cheeses, cereals to start, then a choice of full English breakfast or fishcakes with whatever you decide to have with them from the full breakfast menu). The portions were huge. My daughter and I enjoyed the heated hot tub and sauna. The only thing I was really disappointed with is the swimming pool which is the main reason I selected this hotel. It supposed to be heated but it took me 5 minutes to get in as it was very cold. The owner or manager walked past and saw me not daring to go fully in and said it was heated and it would be a lot colder normally. She tested it and told me it was 75 degrees like I shouldn't be making a fuss but I know when my body can't stand it . Another couple walked past and they told me they were told it supposed to be 90 degrees. I just expected a heated pool would mean it would be warm getting in and did only book this hotel because of the pool as wanted something different and wouldn't normally pay £200 for 2 nights stay in a hotel. I only saw another couple use the pool and they agreed about the temperature. I suspect they didn't want to heat it higher if noone was using it. I was also disappointed with the lack of wardrobe space. There was a small room with rails (approx 6 coat hangers) so had to put clothes on the table in our bedroom which made it look untidy. The coats were hung up on the rails too. We had a look in the dining room during the day and saw that the cutlery and plates were laid out in preparation for next morning's breakfast. There were quite a few flies which I found a bit offputting to think they could have been on the tables and cutlery. I know an hotel has to prepare but I do think this is important. to think about this when leaving the doors open. Loved the walk in shower and it was a power shower which was excellent. There was a small room (where the hanging space was) where you could make coffee and this room also had a mini fridge with a couple of bottles of sparkling water in. There was also a huge sink, a hairdryer and safe if you wanted to use it. There was a nice selection of biscuits and hot chocolate/variety of teas and ground coffee and instant coffee. Everyone we spoke to belonging to the hotel was friendly. There was a receptionist who helped me and my daughter choose a dvd to watch (these were complementary). The gardens were lovely - just a pity it was pouring down all day when we went. I would have enjoyed sitting in the many private areas. You could buy sandwiches in york and bring them back and sit outside. One comment though on these areas were they didn't look like they had been used for a while as the tables and chairs were very dirty. Overall, I enjoyed my stay but wouldn't pay more than £99 for a double/twin room, but that's just what I personally feel I would splash out on a room for the night. Others may think that's cheap and pay that all the time. The rates are £99-£210 per room"

• Travel date: 20th August 2008

Great hospitality

Reviewed 25th January 2013

"We're from London so the friendliness and hospitable nature of Mount's staff really shone through. The room was great for £99, the only subjective grumble being a soft bed (but the other half loved this). Otherwise the breakfast was great and there were no qualms when we asked for a 3pm check out. If they can do it, they will I'm sure. A great gem is the garden at the bottom of which is a swimming pool, sauna, steam room and outdoor hot tub. Didn't expect that from a three star place in York with the kind of old-world front f house the hotel has. I'm a big fan of Tripadvisor - I selected Mount Royal having read the reviews. Not disappointed, give them a whirl."

• Travel date: 19th August 2008

Last minute break

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"Booked last minute with the hotel. Within walking distance of the city centre. Arrived very early to do some shopping. Received a warm welcome and parked our car and left our bags. Our room was spacious, well furnished and very clean. The location was excellent and breakfast next morning in the garden was lovely. We're regular visitors to York and will stay here again soon."

• Travel date: 12th August 2008

Fantastic Find!!!

Reviewed 23rd January 2013

"My husband booked this hotel as a surprise for my 30th birthday; all I can say is 'wow'! The staff were very friendly, polite and helpful throughout the whole of our stay. The breakfast was amazing, croissants, cereal, toast, full english - anything you want they will happily accommodate. I'm really fussy and will only have warm milk on my cereal; this wasn't a problem and every morning they were happy to wam some up for me! I can't comment on the restaurant as we didn't eat there; it's quite expensive and apparently so popular that you need to book in advance. Our room was lovely; four poster bed, magnificent shower and separate dressing area; there was also a safe as well which was obviously handy for locking all our valuables in. The hotel gardens are quite deceptive, there is an outside area where you can eat breakfast or have a drink etc as well as separate seating area for evening meals c/w heaters. The gardens are gorgeous and go back quite far; tables and chairs appear to be 'hidden' all within the gardens so you can always find a secluded area to sit away from other people. There is also a small swimming pool and hot tub c/w changing areas; we didin't use these but went to have a nosey at them! The weekend we went it turned out to be York races and even though the hotel was fully booked, everything still ran really smoothly. Parking directly outside the hotel can sometimes be difficult but if there are not enough spaces you can park right next door in the overflow car park; we only had to do this once out of the 4 days that we were there. My husband and I were very impressed with this hotel and would definitley stay here again. It's probably about a 10 minute walk away from the city centre which we both found ideal."

• Travel date: 26th July 2008

Altogether, refreshingly different!

Reviewed 17th January 2013

"I booked a weekend for a group of us who dont see eachother often (2 couples and a single). We dont want to be fussed with what to eat and where but like creature comforts, so booked the breakfast and dinner inclusive package for the weekend. This hotel has the creature comforts - we booked 2 superior four poster bed rooms and a single and all were fine - clean, comfortable and with lots of space. If you want the boring uber smart hotel then dont come here (remember the boring uber smart hotels I stay in for business are £250 a night and £330 in london!). If you want clean but a bit quirky then this is just right. The resturant is full of local non residents so that has to be a sign that its good. The breakfasts were lovely - eggs benedict I have had all over the world but theirs was very nice. The guy that plays the keyboards in the evening would play requests, so, although it all felt a little old fashioned sometimes, he livened it up on request. I personally loved the antiques and brick a brac that adorn the place.... makes such a change from Hiltons, Novotels, Du Vins et al (nice but boring! - and expensive). Staff were very friendly througout and when we departed after a long weekend they even worked out the bill between 5 for us to make splitting the cost easy with our mild hangovers!!!"

• Travel date: 24th June 2008

excellent staff and good value

Reviewed 14th January 2013

"Spent two nights and were delighted with this hotel choice. First afternoon and one hour after arrival,my wife and I were relaxing in garden hot tub,when the lovely hotel lady owner who lives at bottom of the lovely garden, handed us each a complementry glass of chilled rose'. Great breakfast (understand she cooks these), served in charming surroundings,and the adjoining restaurant, offering any two courses with a glass of wine for £15,well for that quality and price,excellent value. Repeating what has also been said before, staff were great ."

• Travel date: 25th May 2008

Excellent Food...

Reviewed 16th January 2013

"Just returned from a quick 2 day break in York(April 21st/22nd April2008) We visit York at least once a year and next time we go we will definitely choose the Mount Royale Hotel again. Very impressed, polite, efficient staff, clean, tidy rooms and nice gardens. Just a 10/15 minute walk into the city but best of all, the food was EXCELLENT. We couldn't manage all 3 courses that we'd paid for, such was the helpings. 2 wonderful evening meals and 2 equally excellent breakfasts. We already know where we are staying for our next venture into York!"

• Travel date: 25th April 2008

Really good

Reviewed 14th January 2013

"We have just returned from a weekend at the Mount Royale in York after reading reviews here. I have to say that the whole experience was very good indeed. As someone else in the reviews has mentioned, we too had Room 23 and at first though "oh no" - because of the steps downstairs - but again when we entered the room our worries were gone. Huge Room, huge bathroom and LOADS of room to store things etc...Now, the food - OMG!! Put about 6 pounds on eating at the restaurant next door - it was just so, so nice and for the price we paid - fantastic value for money! The breakfasts were just excellent and there was much to choose from. Both restaurants gave excellent service. We walked into York and yes it was 15-20 mins walk but it was a nice enough walk to be honest and there are a few pubs to stop at on the way for a quick drink! We have recommended this hotel to our friends and family and would not hesitate to stay there again! Really Good!!"

• Travel date: 23rd April 2008

OK but only just

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"On the basis of the reviews here we stayed for a long weekend and were frankly disappointed. The hotel has most certainly seen better days and although clean it was fairly worn and in need of a facelift. Externally it could do with being tidied up and the steps and porch brushed and cleaned and the car park swept of leaves. Internally this is an old hotel with stone flagged floors in reception (which can be rather quaint) but this does not allow for a certain amount of neglect. The rooms were large, the bed was huge, and the bathroom was a good size. It had been well cleaned but still had a feeling of being rather shabby. The restaurant produced rather too large portions and the menu was rather restricted if they had no specials on (which they didn't have on the last night of our stay). The restaurant is operated separately from the hotel although this is not obvious. Breakfast was excellent, it was run by the hotel, with extremely attentive and mature staff. Location was good only 5 minutes from the city walls although it was disappointing that the staff did not know where to catch the city tour bus (it was immediately across the road). It is also fairly close to York racecourse and will be busy during race meetings (it used to be very popular with the racing fraternity but less so now). On the other side the staff were friendly and extremely helpful and were a credit to the establishment. Would I stay there again? Probably not as I am sure there are nicer establishments in York and it does not merit the 4th best rating. The hotel gives the impression of neglect by the ownership and needs money spent on it to freshen it up and make it more attractive."

• Travel date: 1st June 2007

Lovely hotel

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"In line with the other reviews, I can only add to the chorus of approval. My boyfriend and I stayed in a garden suite for 2 nights just after Easter and it was lovely. Room was very large with entrance out onto the extensive mature gardens (an unexpected treat in the city centre.) We nipped down to use the hot tub/sauna/steam room in the afternoons - great after a days shopping/sightseeing in York. We were on a dinner, bed and breakfast package - food was great - if anything, there was too much of it (is that possible?!) Nice to go to a 'non-chain' hotel - the staff were very friendly and welcoming - and the hotel is well-kept and individual."

• Travel date: 23rd April 2007

Loved this hotel!

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"We loved this place!! This is what I thought an English hotel would be. It is quirky and old but lovingly maintained by a super guy we met while walking the grounds. We had our room upgraded to a garden room which included a large bathroom with tub, sitting area, patio with private entry. Privacy was provided by dense vines on a trellis. The gardens were not in bloom but the possibilities for spring and summer were evident everywhere. They thought of everything, great beds with quality linens, coffee tea service with french press, hair dryer and pants press in our dressing room. There was even a fan for warm nights. Front desk was friendly and helpful. Two wonderful gentlemen were our waiters for breakfast--food was varied and excellent. The location made a short walk into town. No need to take a bus. There is a hot tub, steam and sauna, with a pool in the summer time. In addition, a fine restaurant is on the premises. A great hotel."

• Travel date: 2nd April 2007

We love the Mount Royale!

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"We have stayed at the Mount Royale 4 times now and it has never been anything but perfect. The staff are great without exception. The rooms are good and each one is differnt and has it's own character. The Breakfasts are delicous and the choice is varied. We love the pool and Sauna/steamroom/hot tub, this area has always been quiet and relaxing and a good way to chill out after a day in York. The walk into York is about 20 mins, downhill all the way :-) The One19 restaurant attached is always very good and the staff again are brilliant. We love to sit and people watch in the bar as there always seems to be interesting characters staying or eating here. We Intend to visit 2 times a year for as long as the hotel stays as it is."

• Travel date: 31st March 2007