Middletons York

Skeldergate, York YO1 6DS England

just ok

"First impressions quirky layout was actually quite pleasant, reception, dining area and bar were nice but rooms small and basic. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Location excellent. Expensive for what you get."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of March 2006

Very basic and outdated - not particularly cheap either

"I know I booked this hotel at short notice and there was not much choice available, but it cost me £195 for 3 nights stay and the experience was only extremely average.
When I arrived, only one light bulb worked in my room, the following day each bulb had to be replaced and on the final day no light bulb was working again.

Decor, furniture and basic equipment was extremely dated.

The bathroom only had a shower and this was not made clear to me on booking.

Certainly not somewhere you would want to stay for any extended period."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of March 2006

Very Big Let Down.

"We almost stayed here! We were booked in for a weekend and arrived late on a Friday evening.

The staff were very very friendly, efficient and helpful - and if this hotel has anything to be proud of it is its staff without a doubt.

However, the hotel itself is an awful let down. How could anyone have a beautiful building like this, in such lovely surroundings, and let it down so badly by decorating it with items that look like they have been bought from a car boot sale or a very bad second hand shop.

I have never seen such a mish mash of furniture or furnishings in any hotel I have ever stayed in - the 'superior suite' (a semi detached cottage in the gardens) truley did look like a Bed Sit Room, put together from unmatching old items that people didn't want.

Our original room was box like, cobwebs everywhere, grimy in the bathroom, full of old formica, curtain poles and curtains hanging off the wall, stains on the coverlet on the bed, and drastically lacking any character whatsoever (not to mention blankets/duvets) and overlooked the gym carpark.

The second room we were shown to was marginally better (i.e. cleaner) but not worth the £80 per night we were paying, and the superior suite although much larger, was far from the mark.

The staff were sad that we weren't prepared to stay, and we were not charged at all - but this doesn't excuse this hotel one little bit.

Im sorry, but the answer - "You don't come to York to stay in your room" doesn't cut it here. I can understand it, if you are backpacking around the world and staying in rooms that cost £2.50 with no lav, but really - £80 a room? I expect better for this.

I hope the hotel owner reads these reviews : Having a beautiful building like this does not give you licence to fill it with tacky throwaway mismatches from the 60's and 70's (and not in a fashionable retro way either) and charge the same as other hotels. Get a decent interior designer in, give people the environment and surroundings they are expecting after having seen the magnificent outside and you have a recipe for success here."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of February 2006

Well worth a stay.

Good

"well what can i can......my husband booked this hotel for my birthday, i was a little worried after reading the reviews......there was absolutely no need, can only assume there may be another hotel with a similar name perhaps!. We were welcomed by 2 lovely ladies at reception, shown to our room which was lovely, clean and bright. Bathroom was huge. We had full use of the gym which was a stones throw from our room and breakfast was excellent. I can honestly say i have no complaints. Well worth a visit."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of February 2006

Not too bad

"The hotel is made up of a group of old buildings joined togther in the mid twentieth century. The old parts don`t seem to have much character and the newer parts are very much `of their time`, possibly 1970s.

The reception staff were friendly, if a little overwhelmed with a group.

My room was newly decorated - nice new carpet and new bathroom with shower. However the furniture and pictures and especially the ceiling tiles all said `1970s`.

The breakfast was OK. Very good service. Again the decor was very dated.

The pool problem is caused because it is not a swimming pool. It`s a fitness pool. This is a small pool with room for two people and jets that give you a current against which to swim. In other words you ` swim on the spot`. Good for exercise but not much fun!

The location is fine - walking distance to the station and all the main sights.

All in all, disappointing for character and ambience, but perfectly serviceable and satisfactory."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of February 2006

Do not even bother!

"Oh dear..., Oh dear,
Lady Anne Middleton must have had very cheap tastes because we were VERY disappointed with the hotel.
The en-suite room was dirty; with 70's decor, filthy carpets, bathroom worse than ours at home, tired looking furniture.
Then we tried to got to the attatched pool in the gym that was advertised with the hotel....only to be told that you had to book the pool in advance for 15minute sessions....and we couldn't go in....tough!
At this point we complained to the receptionist and wanted our money back...or a new room
"No", we were told," it's not company policy and you'd have to pay a cancellation fee. We are also fully booked."
Resigned to the fact that we would have to stay, we received a knock on the door 10 minutes later to be told that, amazingly, room had been found in another suite, which to be fair was far better but would have cost a lot more. We weren't going to be charged.
Breakfast was much the same. Lack lustre, cold, had to send it back.....staff that couldn't speak English.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of October 2005

Lovely and peaceful

"We and our two friends stayed for 2 nights at Lady Ann Middleton's in York and we all agreed that this hotel is lovely. The bedroom was old and so was the bathroom but it was clean and we did not come to York to stay in our room! The weather was nice so that was a bonus and when we came home to the hotel we could sit in their peaceful garden. The location was excellent, staff friendly and very helpful, good breakfast and after one evening of a Pub-dinner we decided to have dinner at the hotel. It was very good. Next time we'll come to York we shall certainly book this hotel again."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of April 2005

More than happy with stay

Good

"Luckily I did not read any reviews before arriving for a two day event with work, as i think they would have put a complete downer on my arrival. What a beautiful setting for starters. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the food was fantastic. Well cooked, served and presented and tasted lovely. There was a variety to choose from and plenty of choice of drinks too! The rooms were clean, warm and tidy, with extra bedding, if needed and plenty of spare towels. I had a double room to myself and found it ample. Television and drinks facilities were welcomed! Plenty of secure car parking and although i didn't get chance to go, the gym and pool looked quite inviting! I certainly had no complaints during my stay and would return again for short breaks."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of November 2004

Not as bad as made out

Good

"I booked this hotel for me and my husband then came home and read these reviews and nearly cancelled.
We arrived to very friendly receptionists. The rooms were clean and presentable but were compact. They had also redecorated since the last reviews were written.
The breakfast as lovely and the staff were great.
My only complain was it was soooo hot, If anyone from the hotel reads this "turn the heating down."
If you are after somewhere clean, friendly and central then this is ideal."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of October 2004

The hotel is being refurbished but this...

"The hotel is being refurbished but this does not intrude on guests. Had room no.8 which turned out to have large bedroom, bathroom and sitting room. Very clean and comfortable. the restaurants are newly built and well equipped. the food was superb! All you could eat for breakfast, cereal, toast, croisants, eight cooked items, etc and the dinners were really something else. Eight thick slices of tasty roastbeef that you could cut with a plastic knife. Six types of veg, lovely roast and mashed potatoes. Great steaks, mixed grills, lamb etc, fantastic sweets. Staff were superb, asked for a higher chair in the sitting room and it was in place before I had time to return to the room.
York itself is really nice, York Minster worth a whole day on its own. Train museum a must, even my wife who proffesed to be not interested did not want to leave. The only downside is the Shambles is now full of mobile phone shops and take a ways and the Yorkshire Wheel is not worth going on. A word of warning, don't drive in York, no road signs! Full of one way streets and pedestrian precincts. Took twenty minutes to cover a five minute walk. That said, York is lovely and ideal for three or four days break. If you want to visit Bettys Tea rooms, expect to queue for half hour to an hour but worth it."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of February 2008

Hotels near Middletons York

Stayed at Middletons York? Share your insight.

Middletons York is also called